IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magomed Abdusalamov is in Self-Induced Coma, Smh...
mrchitown
post Nov 5 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

Abdusalamov had a stroke yesterday after his fever reached 104. Their setting up something so fans can donate to help with his family. Dude has 3 kids and he's married I believe, I'm really praying for him
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 5 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 5 2013, 10:44 PM) *
Abdusalamov had a stroke yesterday after his fever reached 104. Their setting up something so fans can donate to help with his family. Dude has 3 kids and he's married I believe, I'm really praying for him

A stroke?! WTF???

Dammit man...this what happens when people get their "blood & guts" fix...they go back to their shitty jobs on Monday morning, while the fighter is stuck dealing with this.

No doubt, they know what they're signing up for, but had he been on a smaller platform (other than unforgiving HBO, who only wants blood & guts), then his corner probably would've stepped in and stopped it.

+Quote Post
anthonyaccurate
post Nov 6 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #13

Strawweight

Member No.: 2,772

I don't think he's in a SELF-induced coma, its a medically induced coma. I seriously doubt he took a barbiturate under his own power.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 6 2013, 06:45 AM
Post #14

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (anthonyaccurate @ Nov 6 2013, 01:14 AM) *
I don't think he's in a SELF-induced coma, its a medically induced coma. I seriously doubt he took a barbiturate under his own power.

To clarify,

A self-induced comma is when doctors put the fighter a comatose state to try to stabilize damage to the brain after it has occurred to keep it from getting worse. It is very sad situation. We may also get some quicker stoppages for awhile in boxing, especially if the Russian does not pull through. It can also be called a medically induced coma.

Jack

PS. Definition from Ask.com:

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-a-self-induced-coma

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 6 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 5 2013, 10:50 PM) *
A stroke?! WTF???

Dammit man...this what happens when people get their "blood & guts" fix...they go back to their shitty jobs on Monday morning, while the fighter is stuck dealing with this.

No doubt, they know what they're signing up for, but had he been on a smaller platform (other than unforgiving HBO, who only wants blood & guts), then his corner probably would've stepped in and stopped it.

Yeah man, I had saw it on yahoo sports. He had the stroke when he got a fever that reached 104. I absolutely hate that this happened. No matter what sport it is but since it's boxing it's going to get that spotlight as the brutal side of the sport. I've seen fighters die in amateur fights with head gear on. Like literally 20 feet away from me.

They've said that his temperature has returned back to normal and his condition has stabilized. And the doctor said they still think he will recover but with brain injuries they said they can never tell for sure....the next few times that a fight is a slug fest with back and forth action it's going to get stopped. We may see it in a high profile fight like the Pacquiao fight coming up. If Manny is donminating Rios and his face is busted up they gon stop it and vice versa

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 6 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #16

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

It's much like form tackling in football or learning how to take a hard foul in basketball, but with even more severe ramifications. How many coaches are teaching how to wrap up (football) and how to not low-bridge someone (basketball)? The "quick fix" is to for officiating to be overly involved for the time being until it blows over. Then the fans complain and they take a step back. When in fact, the REAL long term solution should be to start teaching kids fundamentals at an early age. How to defend. When and how to wrap up when you're injured. How to take a knee etc. Then have officiating coincide with the right way to do things. It's hard to do that when HBO, who for the time being, probably still has a slight edge as far as kingpin of casual boxing audience as a whole, demonizes the very thing that keeps fighters safe. Not to mention, Cshel and other know my beef with a lot of these neighborhood trainers turned "experts".

This post has been edited by Franchize: Nov 6 2013, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 6 2013, 04:43 PM
Post #17

The Consultant

The next few times that a fight is a slug fest with back and forth action it's going to get stopped. We may see it in a high profile fight like the Pacquiao fight coming up. If Manny is dominating Rios and his face is busted up they gon stop it and vice versa

Yes, be prepared for early stoppages. Fighters should express this concern at the rules meetings just to make sure they aren't stopped ridiculously early. I hope we don't get a bunch of Tyson-Ruddock I's here. A lot of times after a tragedy, the commissions go on the safety extreme, like they often do in the UK. We may see potentially, "one knockdown rules in effect," potentially at the first sign of any trouble. If the Russian survives, this may last for about a month or so before we get back to conventional officiating. If he doesn't make it, extend that caution rate to a good two months.

It may not necessarily be at the level above, but be prepared for it. Ward-Gatti I round 9 type of action may not be allowed to happen for a few months.

Jack

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Nov 6 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #18

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

this is definitely NOT at magomed signed up for. this happens in the sport, but not very often. most of the time guys bounce back fairly well, maybe some cuts, burises and maybe the occasional concussion, but the guy broke his hand, his cheek bone, hes got a clot in his brain. this is serious damage, like duk ku kim type of damage. i feel so bad for his family, this is exactly what mayweather is always talking about when he says the fans dont care about his family and the fact that they might have to deal with this as a result of taking punishment in the ring. ive heard him say this on numerous occasions regarding his "boring" style. maybe this will wake up some of the fans who think boxing is boring, maybe theyll realize why being able to box is important to fighters, without the fans and media condemning them like they did rigondeaux and floyd

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 6 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #19

The Consultant

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 6 2013, 06:47 PM) *
this is definitely NOT at magomed signed up for. this happens in the sport, but not very often. most of the time guys bounce back fairly well, maybe some cuts, burises and maybe the occasional concussion, but the guy broke his hand, his cheek bone, hes got a clot in his brain. this is serious damage, like duk ku kim type of damage. i feel so bad for his family, this is exactly what mayweather is always talking about when he says the fans dont care about his family and the fact that they might have to deal with this as a result of taking punishment in the ring. ive heard him say this on numerous occasions regarding his "boring" style. maybe this will wake up some of the fans who think boxing is boring, maybe theyll realize why being able to box is important to fighters, without the fans and media condemning them like they did rigondeaux and floyd

Excellent points!

Do you think HBO's war favoring commentary style, jump-started by Jim Lamply will change as a result of this incident? You know what I wish? I wish that Roy Jones and Evander Holyfield could see Magomed in the hospital and his condition. I wish that could be a wake up call for them to retire from boxing. Jones wants to fight Anderson Silva. Do people know how stupid and dangerous this match is, and why? It's like Roy and Evander are almost asking to die in the ring because they can't walk away. Maybe if they looked at Magomed, they would see the light.

Jack

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 6 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #20

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 6 2013, 04:43 PM) *
Yes, be prepared for early stoppages. Fighters should express this concern at the rules meetings just to make sure they aren't stopped ridiculously early. I hope we don't get a bunch of Tyson-Ruddock I's here. A lot of times after a tragedy, the commissions go on the safety extreme, like they often do in the UK. We may see potentially, "one knockdown rules in effect," potentially at the first sign of any trouble. If the Russian survives, this may last for about a month or so before we get back to conventional officiating. If he doesn't make it, extend that caution rate to a good two months.

It may not necessarily be at the level above, but be prepared for it. Ward-Gatti I round 9 type of action may not be allowed to happen for a few months.

Jack

Exactly, they are going to keep a tight leash on the fights for a while now. It may or may not be a bad thing depending on the situation at hand. But I'm not going to be shocked to see something where the ref or the ringside doctor stops the fight...i agree with you about RJJ and Holyfield. I've been worrying about them since the early part of the 2000's and I'm not even a big fan of Evander. Roy has been brutally knocked out a few times and I think it's going to take something dramatic for him to stop because he got money issues. I think he should stick to commentating and find other little avenues to get money

Evander is obviously in a hole financially and he keeps up this illusion of winning the HW title again. He may have beat Tyson in the ring but Tyson is kicking his ass post-boxing. Mike strapped for cash too but he ain't whoring himself around a boxing ring for a payday like these two. He's showing that it's other things to do to catchup and get money. They're going to get hurt if they're allowed to keep fighting. I wish the commissions would refuse to sanction them to fight...RJJ-Silva. I may be crazy but I think Roy wins.....and am I the only one who heard that rumor about Tyson-Holyfield 3?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 07:39 AM