Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGG vs Murray 2014?, THOUGHTS
BoxingEinstein
post Nov 7 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

I heard GGG is fighting again in Monte Carlo in Feb. I do admit assuming he gets past his stay busy fight without a setback. Martin Murray would be GGG's best opponent and add credit to his resume. Solid win for GGG and a huge win for Murray if he were to win. I think its a good fight and hope it happens.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Nov 7 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

At this point ggg needs a household named opponent to raise his stock for big fights. Murray no doubt is a solid contender against anybody at 160 but a win over ggg does more for him than the other way around. great fight though.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 8 2013, 01:28 AM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Nov 7 2013, 08:42 PM) *
At this point ggg needs a household named opponent to raise his stock for big fights. Murray no doubt is a solid contender against anybody at 160 but a win over ggg does more for him than the other way around. great fight though.

This.....he's being built up as some sort of boogeyman but he has done absolutely nothing and fought no one to be feared like some rabid idiots claim. When he fights the Martinez, Froch, Ward, etc. then we'll know who he really is

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 8 2013, 01:57 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 8 2013, 01:28 AM) *
This.....he's being built up as some sort of boogeyman but he has done absolutely nothing and fought no one to be feared like some rabid idiots claim. When he fights the Martinez, Froch, Ward, etc. then we'll know who he really is

He's not fighting ward or froch anytime soon.. dude isn't in the ball park with those guys. As for martinez, if healthy, ggg should stay away. As you mentioned the "boogeyman" hasn't even touched anyone on his level.

A guy like geale, Murray, sturm, Abraham, or barker would serve him better. They are stiff guys to bring him along

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Nov 8 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 8 2013, 01:28 AM) *

I don't see GGG ever getting a shot against Martinez. Martinez has other options out there that will pay him more and be far less of a risk. Martinez only has a few fights left. He will fight JCC and Cotto in PPV fights over the next 2 years and maybe add in 2 fights against lesser opponents during that period. I would be surprised of Martinez and GGG ever met.

GGG will have to move to 168 to get a big fight as I don't see Cotto getting in the right with him even if Cotto beats Martinez at 160. Moving up to 168 may be a problem for GGG. I think GGG vs Froch will eventually be THE fight for him. As for now, there are still some solid opponents for GGG to fight. Darren Barker and Martin Murray can occupy his time over the next year. Daniel Geale is another name. I think at some point the Andre Ward fight will be GGG's big chance but I still see that as being 2 or 3 years away.

If I am GGG I stay at 160. Froch and even Ward would have a solid size advantage over him. GGG doesn't seem like a fighter that will hold up well at 168. GGG looks like a natual 160 fighter and eventually you have to figure a big fight will find him at that weight class.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 8 2013, 06:02 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 8 2013, 01:57 AM) *
He's not fighting ward or froch anytime soon.. dude isn't in the ball park with those guys. As for martinez, if healthy, ggg should stay away. As you mentioned the "boogeyman" hasn't even touched anyone on his level.

A guy like geale, Murray, sturm, Abraham, or barker would serve him better. They are stiff guys to bring him along

Those are better matchups for him. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the buzz he's getting but I think it's too much. People fall in love with the knockout artists and discard them when their power doesn't holdup against a fighter that has their number and can take their power shots. GGG will be the same, I saw things in a few of his fights but especially in the Stevens fight, he's very beatable

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 8 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (KOpower @ Nov 8 2013, 09:13 AM) *
I don't see GGG ever getting a shot against Martinez. Martinez has other options out there that will pay him more and be far less of a risk. Martinez only has a few fights left. He will fight JCC and Cotto in PPV fights over the next 2 years and maybe add in 2 fights against lesser opponents during that period. I would be surprised of Martinez and GGG ever met.

GGG will have to move to 168 to get a big fight as I don't see Cotto getting in the right with him even if Cotto beats Martinez at 160. Moving up to 168 may be a problem for GGG. I think GGG vs Froch will eventually be THE fight for him. As for now, there are still some solid opponents for GGG to fight. Darren Barker and Martin Murray can occupy his time over the next year. Daniel Geale is another name. I think at some point the Andre Ward fight will be GGG's big chance but I still see that as being 2 or 3 years away.

If I am GGG I stay at 160. Froch and even Ward would have a solid size advantage over him. GGG doesn't seem like a fighter that will hold up well at 168. GGG looks like a natual 160 fighter and eventually you have to figure a big fight will find him at that weight class.

Good points, what Martinez does we don't know but I'm not going to hold my breath for him and Golovkin to fight. They can both make good money fighting safer opponents then each other.

If Golovkin fights Froch I got Froch to win. Golovkin is very slow and flat footed. Froch would give him hell

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 8 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 8 2013, 06:08 PM) *
Good points, what Martinez does we don't know but I'm not going to hold my breath for him and Golovkin to fight. They can both make good money fighting safer opponents then each other.

If Golovkin fights Froch I got Froch to win. Golovkin is very slow and flat footed. Froch would give him hell

Not to mention froch has a face for boxing, dude has a beard on him.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 9 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 8 2013, 06:15 PM) *
Not to mention froch has a face for boxing, dude has a beard on him.

So true, and that's what I think will be the deciding factor in Golovkin's career. Will he carry his power up in weight? And if so, how does he fare when the fighters across from him can take his power?

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 9 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Golovkin-Murray is on for the first of February

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:06 AM