IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AweTV:Froch vs. Groves@3PM(ET)/12PM(PT)-SPOILERS, Update: IBF Mandates Rematch (Page 7, Post 61)
Jack 1000
post Nov 26 2013, 01:36 AM
Post #41

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 25 2013, 10:56 PM) *
This came out soon after the fight ended, seems fishy. Regardless of this, I think the ref should be investigated

I agree. Will anything be done? No. Best choice of action at the rules meeting for future BBC fights is to protest Mr. Foster's appointment with concern that he stopped this fight too soon. This ref will need to work a few more non-title fights giving fighters fair chances to recover without quick stoppages to save his reputation.

Terrible stoppage!

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 26 2013, 02:48 AM
Post #42

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 23 2013, 07:51 PM) *
coming all the way from amsterdam haha, questionable stoppage but groves turned away from froch, was the ref just supposed to let froch start beating on his side?

also whenever froch had groves on the ropes the ref intervened for whatever reason. like when groves hit froch to the back of the head, froch and went landed two shots and could of kept going, but the ref chose then to stop and warn groves. so i doubt he was in anyones pocket

I'm gonna catch some flac but I gotta agree with you here.. stoppage wasn't that bad. If anything it just robbed froch of a ko or tko later in the fight, groves didn't seem all there and was slowing down. Good fight none the less and froch said groves earned a rematch with his performance. Some bad blood building and a good fight, I'm down for a sequel.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 26 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #43

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 26 2013, 01:36 AM) *
I agree. Will anything be done? No. Best choice of action at the rules meeting for future BBC fights is to protest Mr. Foster's appointment with concern that he stopped this fight too soon. This ref will need to work a few more non-title fights giving fighters fair chances to recover without quick stoppages to save his reputation.

Terrible stoppage!

Jack

I agree, he needs to work his way back into fights of that magnitude. I've had a chance to look at it and Groves wasn't out on his feet or anything. Looking at it when the ref stopped it, Groves had already recovered. He was robbed of a well deserved victory. Froch and some believe he would've stopped Groves later in the fight even if the ref hadn't of did what he did but bi disagree because Froch was fading badly. It's not like he was facing Jermain Taylor in there. Groves was working him over good for the majority of the fight. All Carl had to hang his hat on was he was beginning to land a bit more.

If they have a rematch. I got Groves by KO. I think Froch is done as a top fighter

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 26 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #44

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Still laughing at how Groves had Froch on the canvas, like he pulled a rug from under him. That shit humbled me, from my couch...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 28 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #45

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

People make it sound like its the worst stoppage ever. Watch it slowly, he takes a few clean punches 2-3 max IMO, gets off the ropes, and stumbles into the ref.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 28 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #46

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I Tweeted to the WBA/IBF about the stoppage. The WBA responded back sort of what Froch said that the ref has to make a decision in seconds with regards to protecting the boxers. Agree that the ref has to take the job of protecting the boxers into account. But I think the magnetude of the fight allong with the intensity of the fight has to be taken into account. This was at no time a beating. It was a termendous two-sided contest.

It's fights like this where I wish the rules would bring back the standing eight count as an option without a knockdown. To prevent abuse of the rule, it can only be used once per round per fighter. This is where the ref can step in and do an eight count without a knockdown to see if the fighter is OK. This sends a message to the fighter that the ref thinks he is stricken and that a stoppage could be soon. The judges would count the standing eight count as a knockdown 10-8.

I would like to see more refs in-between rounds say, "You have to show me something in the next round, or I am going to stop this." If a standing eight count was in effect, Howard Foster could have applied it and George Groves could have communicated "I'm alright ref." during the eight count. The ref probably would have left the fight continue and maybe Groves would have recovered, or maybe on the next sequence of punches had Foster stopped it after the eight count, it would have made the stoppage more understandable and less debatable.

Jack

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 29 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #47

Cruiserweight

The stoppage was questionable. Get over it! The overwhelming majority of boxing thinks it was a BS stoppage, everybody can't be wrong. Fuck Froch too, guys a complete dick head. I only give him credit for knowing when it's time to get out. He says he wants to fight one last time and in Vegas. Hopefully it's against Ward, I want to see the excuses he has for another embarrassment at the hands of the same man

His days of being an top fighter are over. I say throw him, Shane, Toney and RJJ on the same card and call it "the retirement party"

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 29 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #48

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 28 2013, 11:10 PM) *
I Tweeted to the WBA/IBF about the stoppage. The WBA responded back sort of what Froch said that the ref has to make a decision in seconds with regards to protecting the boxers. Agree that the ref has to take the job of protecting the boxers into account. But I think the magnetude of the fight allong with the intensity of the fight has to be taken into account. This was at no time a beating. It was a termendous two-sided contest.

It's fights like this where I wish the rules would bring back the standing eight count as an option without a knockdown. To prevent abuse of the rule, it can only be used once per round per fighter. This is where the ref can step in and do an eight count without a knockdown to see if the fighter is OK. This sends a message to the fighter that the ref thinks he is stricken and that a stoppage could be soon. The judges would count the standing eight count as a knockdown 10-8.

I would like to see more refs in-between rounds say, "You have to show me something in the next round, or I am going to stop this." If a standing eight count was in effect, Howard Foster could have applied it and George Groves could have communicated "I'm alright ref." during the eight count. The ref probably would have left the fight continue and maybe Groves would have recovered, or maybe on the next sequence of punches had Foster stopped it after the eight count, it would have made the stoppage more understandable and less debatable.

Jack

Smart idea

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 29 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #49

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 29 2013, 10:05 PM) *
The stoppage was questionable. Get over it! The overwhelming majority of boxing thinks it was a BS stoppage, everybody can't be wrong. Fuck Froch too, guys a complete dick head. I only give him credit for knowing when it's time to get out. He says he wants to fight one last time and in Vegas. Hopefully it's against Ward, I want to see the excuses he has for another embarrassment at the hands of the same man

His days of being an top fighter are over. I say throw him, Shane, Toney and RJJ on the same card and call it "the retirement party"

Hes knowhere near as gone as Shane, Toney or RJJ. But yeah he's getting schooled by Ward.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Nov 30 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #50

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 29 2013, 09:23 PM) *
Hes knowhere near as gone as Shane, Toney or RJJ. But yeah he's getting schooled by Ward.

To me he is because he doesn't have 3% of their talent at his highest point in his career. The reason their so far past it is because they keep fighting. Froch will be the same way if he keeps fighting

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 07:30 PM