Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it over for Brandon Rios?
Gambit808
post Nov 25 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

No doubt about it, if BR still wants to compete with the top dogs around WW with a boxing IQ, it's gonna take some tweaking in his style, but is it to little, to late for that? Is his only shot at victory against those who would only "fight in a phone booth" with him or is he already good enough to compete with a grand game plan that can back him against the right guy?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Nov 25 2013, 06:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 25 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Nov 25 2013, 06:08 PM) *
No doubt about it, if BR still wants to compete with the top dogs around WW with a boxing IQ, it's gonna take some tweaking in his style, but is it to little, to late for that? Is his only shot at victory against those who would only "fight in a phone booth" with him or is he already good enough to compete with a grand game plan that can back him against the right guy?

Nope, it's not. He wont be in a fight that huge again, unless he draws his own path. Put him in there with Marquez in April, then see how things go. Who knows though. IF he was put in there with Provodikov (Arum doesn't care about matching the losers of fights), and he actually wins, then he's back in there just like that.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Nov 25 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 25 2013, 06:39 PM) *
Nope, it's not. He wont be in a fight that huge again, unless he draws his own path. Put him in there with Marquez in April, then see how things go. Who knows though. IF he was put in there with Provodikov (Arum doesn't care about matching the losers of fights), and he actually wins, then he's back in there just like that.

provodnikov would finish off where manny started. ruslan would ko him. he actually has the power to put him out cold. rios is shit. hell just lose to anyone who can box.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Nov 25 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 25 2013, 06:39 PM) *

Very possible. I don't think it would be smart though on Marquez's behalf, ignoring a rematch against Manny to fight a high risk, low reward fight against Rios because if he were to lose, it ends any significant payday and possibly retires him. That Bradley loss is crucial... For him and my sig lol.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Nov 25 2013, 08:09 PM

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Nov 25 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

Marquez is scared to fight Manny again; he's said as much in the press. They'll never have a fifth fight, because he wants to series to end exactly how it did and knows a fifth fight might end quite differently. It rubs me the wrong way, considering Manny gave him for rematches than were warranted.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Nov 25 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Nov 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *
Marquez is scared to fight Manny again; he's said as much in the press. They'll never have a fifth fight, because he wants to series to end exactly how it did and knows a fifth fight might end quite differently. It rubs me the wrong way, considering Manny gave him for rematches than were warranted.

Could u blaim Marquez though? If he is that content on not fighting him remains to be seen with the kind of $ that still can be made at this point, but a fight with Rios doesn't really do much for JMM legacy, if in fact that is what he is fighting for other than lucrative paydays.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Nov 25 2013, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Nov 25 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

I agree that Rios does nothing for Marquez. I wish Marquez were with Golden Boy; there are so many interesting fights over there for him.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 26 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Nov 25 2013, 06:49 PM) *
provodnikov would finish off where manny started. ruslan would ko him. he actually has the power to put him out cold. rios is shit. hell just lose to anyone who can box.

Quite naturally, I'd agree, but Rios may survive a lot longer than Alvarado did, if they engage in a phone boot fight. He's a lot more skilled on the inside. As I predicted in the Pac fight, I've NEVER seen Rios fight effectively from the outside, and I've NEVER seen Manny fight a phone booth fight.

It was all up to whoever pushed their type of fight...which was Manny choosing to stay on the outside and pot shot him, until he was able to get in, land combinations, and step back outside. The only way Rios could've went through with an inside fight, is if he hurt Manny early, and stayed on him the whole time...but he was never really able to slow Manny down.

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Nov 25 2013, 07:10 PM) *
Very possible. I don't think it would be smart though on Marquez's behalf, ignoring a rematch against Manny to fight a high risk, low reward fight against Rios because if he were to lose, it ends any significant payday and possibly retires him. That Bradley loss is crucial... For him and my sig lol.

Me either, I agree. Now that I think about it, Marquez lost a "close" fight to Bradley, so maybe's he's still the runner up. Put Manny in there against a guy that almost derailed his career, and hopefully he blows him away...then the REAL Manny Pacquiao would be "back". Actually finishing Marquez would be a feat within itself. Wait, why in the hell am I talking this fight up? I may be giving Arum ideas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 26 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

No Rios, will be a gatekeeper or something. Basically Rios isn't a person or a fighter, Rios is a test for any up and coming boxer to be tested against, and if you fail, go improve your D, simple as that.

Also if Pac finishes Marquez and be the first guy to actually stops him am sure people would complain about how old Marquez is, and how Pacs had 5 fights to stop him in. Funny they don't say that about the KO...

This post has been edited by mgrover: Nov 26 2013, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Nov 26 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 26 2013, 07:33 PM) *
No Rios, will be a gatekeeper or something. Basically Rios isn't a person or a fighter, Rios is a test for any up and coming boxer to be tested against, and if you fail, go improve your D, simple as that.

Also if Pac finishes Marquez and be the first guy to actually stops him am sure people would complain about how old Marquez is, and how Pacs had 5 fights to stop him in. Funny they don't say that about the KO...

Marquez been getting that " he's an old fighter" talk since 09. He just been shutting dudes up like B-Hop pretty much. He's the Mexican B-Hop. If a fighter past their prime can't provide that shock value or they actually do get startched, then it's an automatic write off.

Speaking on your point on BR, I agree that, that could be the case. I'm starting to think they'll put him back in there with Alvarado next, and depending on if he is successful, he'll be in line for a Parodnikov or even Terrance Crawford... maybe.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:00 AM