IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What If? Monday Series Match Up Middleweight Mash, Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler
BoxingEinstein
post Nov 25 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,243

Hello boxing fans past, present and to the future. I'm back with another update to my weekly Monday series but this time it's an even juicier match up.

We have the legendary Marvin "Marvelous" Hagler who had a southpaw stance but can throw with the right just as good as any unorthodox fighter. He was ambidextrous to say the least, which made him a madman when he switched styles while firing off combinations. Hagler had the chin of an ox and power of a bull. Great inside fighter, undeniable will, and has the ability to block or slip with punches when he choosed. One of my personal favorite fighters ever.

We have the legendary Bernard Hopkins who has one of the best jabs in boxing; IMO, ability to neutralize an opponents movements and hand speed. His superb condition and IQ plus legendary discipline is what keeps him fighting for more than two decades. He is one of the most dominant middleweights in boxing history and even past prime he beats the prime out of younger fighters. Hopkins knows all the tricks and trades of boxing and is a textbook Philly fighter. His experience knows no bounds and has improvised his style as father time took his youth.
Who wins in this mouth watering match up?

This post has been edited by BoxingEinstein: Nov 25 2013, 09:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BrutUalBK
post Dec 1 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Hopkins because he would frustrate MMH the entire fight, he gives angles (something Marvin never did, he mostly plowed straight ahead) and if SRL could frustrate Marvin (several times during their bout SRL got in his head and made him miss wildly) then I'm certain that Hopkins who is taller also with a great, underrated jab would be able to slip and give angles plus keep Marvin at bay with his.

It wouldn't be an easy fight but once Hopkins figures him out then it would be all downhill for Marvin, for the first 4-6 rounds it would be scary for BHop but after that his fighting instincts and ring IQ simply takes over and he goes into auto-pilot picking his shots at angles and moving out of the way of the return.

I could see a possible UD at best for BHop and at worse a Draw but neither man hits the deck and no KO, both are my 2 favorite MWs of all times.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 11:50 AM