> FLOYD MAYWEATHER, Better fighter now than in the past
Cshel86
post Dec 2 2013, 09:27 PM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 29 2013, 01:29 PM) *
Is he though? Whats happening now is that he's simply faster than these guys so he can get away easier. I mean Alvarez simply plodded forward after he couldn't land effectively since Mayweather was too fast. It's why am so curious about a Pac fight. How will he deal with that speed. Marquez just looks lost coming forward and not countering.

Interesting. Pac may actually be motivated for this fight, so he may look as sharp as he did in the 4th Marquez fight. Judging by the Pac that I saw two weeks ago, I'd say that he'd get greased. Again, when Pac is focused and motivated, we see the best Pac. The only difference is, when Pac's not motivated, he just looks less than stellar...when Floyd's not motivated...he takes vacations. Lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Dec 2 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #22

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Honestly it outright terms of just sheer physical boxing skills I think Floyd was at his best when he was at 130; dude was fast, used movement, threw more combos and was afraid to let his left hook go but now it seems that in fear of being caught with a counter he does not let that hook go as fast and as often as he used to plus he used his legs as his defense and rarely got touched.

Nowadays though he doesn't take many shots at all let alone any of them flush because of the shoulder roll he does however allows his body parts to impacted on when back in the day you could scarcely lay a glove on him at all. The Corrales fight is and will always be his best performance IMHO, he shut him down and put on a clear display of overall boxing skills and ability while pounding on a man who was taller, a better puncher and outweighed him by like 14lbs or so if I recall correctly.

I like the way he fights smart today with his shoulder roll and all but offensively I think he's too hesitant or gunshy to fire off multiple punch combos the way he used to for fear of being caught with something he doesn't see, he is smarter and more cunning and his reflexes still allows him to get out of the way of most punches coming back but you can clearly see that he's slowed down and doesn't pull the trigger like he used to.

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Dec 3 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #23

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

He is a better fighter now. More accurate. Slowed down? A bit but still is too fast for the field. As far as him getting hit... I was watching past fights, Floyd always got hit a bit. Castillo touched him up.. Emmanuel Agustus.. Corley, Jesus Chavez Judah(for a few rounds)...He seems harder to hit now to me. When he was younger and lighter he was more aggressive offensively, now he is a pure boxer.. less aggressive, yet he has perfected the art of getting hit and not get hit, and manages to outland his opponent. He has become as pure pugilist. His legs and movement are still great and he is even more economical with his movement and he barely breathes in his bouts. Floyd Mayweather is a major problem in the ring still.

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Dec 3 2013, 08:46 AM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 3 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #24

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I think he is a better fighter now, because he is smarter. He fights smarter. When he was a kid he was just fighting off of his talent and skill. Now he uses all aspects of his fight game and applies it with sear intelligence.

The argument that Floyd would have a problem with Manny's speed and he has never seen speed like Manny is a farce. Look at Zab Judah. It took him some time to find his rhythm, but when he found it, it was lights out. if Tim Bradley could deal with Pac's power and an aging Mosley and JMM, why would Floyd have such an issue?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 3 2013, 06:00 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Dec 2 2013, 04:05 AM) *
The only person's head that's in their ass is a stupid MFer like you dummy.

alright now don't get too wound up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I still don't think Ortiz is that fast. He's a bit above. But he's never been quick to react.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 3 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 3 2013, 10:04 PM) *
I think he is a better fighter now, because he is smarter. He fights smarter. When he was a kid he was just fighting off of his talent and skill. Now he uses all aspects of his fight game and applies it with sear intelligence.

The argument that Floyd would have a problem with Manny's speed and he has never seen speed like Manny is a farce. Look at Zab Judah. It took him some time to find his rhythm, but when he found it, it was lights out. if Tim Bradley could deal with Pac's power and an aging Mosley and JMM, why would Floyd have such an issue?

Look at it this way. Zab tried to stand there and outbox Mayweather, so Mayweather walked his ass down. I doubt he'll do the same with Pac. It'll be a different fight since Pac will be trying to get his in and out rhythm and Mayweather will be trying to time him coming in. And am not saying Mayweather will never catch him, I expect him to catch him plenty, but at the same time if Pac keeps the pressure up like Zab should of done, it'd be interesting. I've yet to see Pac fold like that mentally.

Maybe am the only like who sees is this way. But people need to stop giving Mayweather wins for fights he never took part of.

This post has been edited by mgrover: Dec 3 2013, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Dec 3 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #27

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 3 2013, 06:03 PM) *
Look at it this way. Zab tried to stand there and outbox Mayweather, so Mayweather walked his ass down. I doubt he'll do the same with Pac. It'll be a different fight since Pac will be trying to get his in and out rhythm and Mayweather will be trying to time him coming in. And am not saying Mayweather will never catch him, I expect him to catch him plenty, but at the same time if Pac keeps the pressure up like Zab should of done, it'd be interesting. I've yet to see Pac fold like that mentally.

Maybe am the only like who sees is this way. But people need to stop giving Mayweather wins for fights he never took part of.

I think it is more of Pac having shown nothing that would seem to trouble mayweather... He was kod by a less effective counter puncher than Floyd and out boxed by a lesser boxer than Floyd. Hopefully he and Pac fight-- I see it being EASY WORK for Floyd but I want to see it.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 4 2013, 04:00 AM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Dec 4 2013, 01:56 AM) *
I think it is more of Pac having shown nothing that would seem to trouble mayweather... He was kod by a less effective counter puncher than Floyd and out boxed by a lesser boxer than Floyd. Hopefully he and Pac fight-- I see it being EASY WORK for Floyd but I want to see it.

clearly has, speed and angles. He was KOed by a less effective counter puncher but that's simply because Marquez is a more aggressive counter puncher than Floyd

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 4 2013, 09:54 AM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 4 2013, 03:00 AM) *
clearly has, speed and angles. He was KOed by a less effective counter puncher but that's simply because Marquez is a more aggressive counter puncher than Floyd

True indeed. But Marquez's aggression played against him in all 4 meetings, until he finally landed the shot he'd been looking for in the previous meetings between he and Manny. Mayweather doesn't have the pop of Marquez but he's an assassin, accuracy is just as important as power and he's then most accurate in the game...Emmanuel Steward would always say something about Floyd that I believe to this day and that's if he wanted to, he could stop these guys.

I too, believe that if he would've stepped up the offense a bit more that he could've stopped Mosley, he definitely could've stopped Cotto in that last round but he buzzed him and then started moving as if his mission was complete. Even in 09, his fight against Marquez he could've got him out of there before the 10th imo. He just doesn't go for it like others, he's content to go rounds. He and Marquez are assassins but Mayweather is deadly accurate with his shots and that would pose a serious problem to Pacquiao

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Dec 4 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #30

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Before I answer respond to the OP, can we stop saying Marquez landed one shot? That was the SECOND knockdown score for JMM of the fight. He didn't get lucky. He was countering Manny all night. And as far as Manny's speed, #1 Floyd is fast as well. #2 Floyd's jab to the belly (which is his most underrated punch IMO) can negate that. He did it to Oscar. He did it to Cotto. He did it to Guerrero.

As far as the OP, I thought Floyd may be losing a step when he fought Cotto. Maybe it was all talk and he really wasn't trying to mix it up. Maybe he just ran out of gas finally. Then I saw him vs Guerrero. Then I saw him vs Canelo. That wasn't "Money" Mayweather out there. That was Pretty Boy Floyd! That was the fighter that turned me from an occasional casual fan to a guy who loves boxing almost 2 decades ago. I don't if it's the addition of Sr, I don't know if it's even more dedication to his craft, I don't know if it was the time in jail etc etc etc. All I know is, the Floyd that fought in those last 2 fights was moving in the ring better than he has probably since the Marquez fight. Maybe even better than that. Floyd's footwork hasn't been that good since he fought Carlos Baldomir....and That's SCARY! To have those physical gifts with all that ring IQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:41 AM