IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@9:45(ET)/6:45(PT)-Rigondeaux-Agbeko/Kirkland-Tapia-SPOILERS, No New Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of Showtime Card
KOpower
post Dec 12 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #51

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Dec 10 2013, 09:54 AM) *
His corner did him a great disservice and truth be told his performance up to that point had me wanting to see more of him. I still do, he has some skills. He just needs a trainer that will look out for his best interest and not "HIS" best interests

Tapia is a decent boxer but he prefers to mix it up and that was his problem. I understood what they were trying to achieve in the 1st but after that it's like they had no backup plan they led him to believe he could KO James in the first. They thought this because James isn't a candidate for having an iron chin and due to the layoff. Once their strategy failed they sent him out there on his own.

I was talking over strategies with another trainer on how to beat Kirkland and it's certain things you have to do to have success against him. I've seen home discouraged in fights before. Like the Molina fight, he's a ball of energy and he likes to dictate the pace. But when you dictate the pace and get your shots off first he's beatable and he looks shaky....it won't happen but I'd like to see James and Canelo fight now, it's a 50/50 fight. Canelo would have to impose his will early and gain Kirkland's respect but with the stamina issues he has, James is dangerous every second every round and in the 2nd half of the the fight the momentum will turn in James' favor. I don't know if Canelo can survive that

I don't see James lasting very long against Canelo. Canelo has power and hand speed. I think Canelo puts a few combinations on James early that stun him and I think he gets the KO within 3 rounds. If James can stand up to the early flurry of fire, I think the fight could be very interesting in the middle rounds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Dec 12 2013, 09:26 AM
Post #52

Lightweight

N/M

This post has been edited by KOpower: Dec 12 2013, 09:31 AM

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Dec 12 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #53

Lightweight

QUOTE (HyyerBlaze @ Dec 11 2013, 01:50 PM) *
Per-dan rafael " The 550k viewers drawn by Rigo-Agbeko is among the lowest viewerships in HBO's Boxing After Dark history."

Dang

That's not really fair for a variety of reasons. You had the mega-card on Showtime that actually started 2 hours earlier. You had tons of important college football games on at the same time slot. Many states also had high school football finals and those draw eyes away from a boxing event like this.

Rigo is no draw. He is a GREAT fighter and p4p one of the best fighters in the sport but he will always struggle to bring in viewers. With that being said, I don't think it is fair to blame Rigo for the poor showing. Put this card on in the middle of the summer when Showtime has nothing going on then you have a normal draw.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 12 2013, 11:47 AM
Post #54

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 12 2013, 07:24 AM) *
I don't see James lasting very long against Canelo. Canelo has power and hand speed. I think Canelo puts a few combinations on James early that stun him and I think he gets the KO within 3 rounds. If James can stand up to the early flurry of fire, I think the fight could be very interesting in the middle rounds.

Like that same speed and power he used against Mayweather? James can take a punch and as well give a puch. I don't see Canelo given James real issues.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Dec 12 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #55

Lightweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 12 2013, 11:47 AM) *
Like that same speed and power he used against Mayweather? James can take a punch and as well give a puch. I don't see Canelo given James real issues.

Yes, the exact same speed and power he used against Mayweather.

I don't think James can take a punch. He is a black Amir Khan in the chin department. He has chin issues. Sure, James has lasted in a big fights, but Khan did go the distance with both Maidana and Peterson and finished off Judah without any chin issues.

This post has been edited by KOpower: Dec 12 2013, 12:19 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 12 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #56

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 12 2013, 10:29 AM) *
That's not really fair for a variety of reasons. You had the mega-card on Showtime that actually started 2 hours earlier. You had tons of important college football games on at the same time slot. Many states also had high school football finals and those draw eyes away from a boxing event like this.

Rigo is no draw. He is a GREAT fighter and p4p one of the best fighters in the sport but he will always struggle to bring in viewers. With that being said, I don't think it is fair to blame Rigo for the poor showing. Put this card on in the middle of the summer when Showtime has nothing going on then you have a normal draw.

Very good point and to rigos credit he was fighting aggressive and putting combinations together. Agbeko was there avoiding the knockout not trying to compete.

Rofl at captain kirk having a chin. Before ishida put him to sleep in a round he was getting wobbled by churro vendors and cab drivers on tecate cards. He should fight Lara, styles make fights and this is a classic boxer vs slugger

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 12 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #57

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 12 2013, 10:47 AM) *

Then your boxing IQ is pretty low, Kirkland had trouble with Tapia last weekend, he's had trouble with lesser fighters. Don't bring up the Mayweather fight in regards to this because what element of Kirkland's game is comparable to Floyd's? None

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 12 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #58

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (KOpower @ Dec 12 2013, 08:24 AM) *

That's the same way I see it playing out. If James can stay in there for the first half of the fight he's going to catch Canelo later and possibly takeover the fight but Canelo will be tatting him in the early rounds of the fight. Don't know if James can stand up to that

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 12 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #59

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 12 2013, 12:01 PM) *
Very good point and to rigos credit he was fighting aggressive and putting combinations together. Agbeko was there avoiding the knockout not trying to compete.

Rofl at captain kirk having a chin. Before ishida put him to sleep in a round he was getting wobbled by churro vendors and cab drivers on tecate cards. He should fight Lara, styles make fights and this is a classic boxer vs slugger

I'd take Lara over Kirkland....but they talking about James fighting Andrade next

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 12 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #60

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Kirkland is lunch meat for most of the guys in the division. A straight left or an uppercut from Andrade, and Kirkland is in trouble. Lara would obliterate him before a real fight even breaks out, so they should look the other way. Canelo would have Kirkland for breakfast lunch and dinner...no questions.

That bullrushing bullshit by Kirkland is only good for inexperience guys in showcase bouts. If HBO wants to enjoy Kirkland's work, then they'd best keep him in the with the Tapias of the world, who aren't smart to move his feet or hold for that matter.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:09 AM