BrutUalBK
post Jan 3 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 3 2014, 12:53 PM) *
DID HE DESERVE IT?

Well he did beat 2 of the best fighters of late and basically came out unscathed but in reality there are/were so many candidates for the FOTY it is really hard to say who deserve it more.

Bradley comes to mind, so does Danny Garcia and maybe even Stevenson, Kovalev and a few others.

Who knows what is the overall criteria that will or should determine who "deserves" it as opposed to who really "earned" it??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 3 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

anything on espn is a popularity contest. That is howvhevwon. The casual fan only knows two names in boxing. Stevenson, Bradley and Garcia would of gotten my vote.

+Quote Post
kej718
post Jan 3 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 13,674

He was in the Biggest fight/event of the year vs Canelo @150
and beat "The Ghost" @ 147
Defended 2 titles in 2 weight classes

Timothy Bradley is my second choice because he was in arguably the fight of the year against Ruslan Provodnikov and beat Juan Manuel Marquez convincingly.

Danny Garcia would be 3rd on my list

I like Stevenson but Dawson was already Knocked out by Ward so that kind of took away from the win. Had Stevenson and Kovalev fought each other the winner of that fight would have got it in my opinion.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 3 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

Most popular of the year yeah fighter of the year no...I had kryptonite kov taking that title by winning 4x in '13 against respectable comp in highlight reel fashion

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Jan 3 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 3 2014, 06:51 PM) *
Most popular of the year yeah fighter of the year no...I had kryptonite kov taking that title by winning 4x in '13 against respectable comp in highlight reel fashion

Mayweather displayed a mastery in his bouts that has not been replicated... He walked away from opponents who were said to pose him problems unscathed and hardly breathing------ simply on another level- kinda of like EDWIN MOSES when he was doing the hurdles... simply on another level

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 3 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I would have rather gave it to a fresh face, ie Danny or Bradley but I'm just happy ESPN actually did something other than go at floyds throat. Congrats to Floyd, its like giving the mvp to Lebron every year. Ya can't go wrong

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 3 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 3 2014, 09:22 PM) *
Mayweather displayed a mastery in his bouts that has not been replicated... He walked away from opponents who were said to pose him problems unscathed and hardly breathing------ simply on another level- kinda of like EDWIN MOSES when he was doing the hurdles... simply on another level

Never questioned the greatness just the true fighter of the year

+Quote Post
MAHDI
post Jan 4 2014, 08:53 AM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,939

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Jan 3 2014, 11:25 PM) *
Never questioned the greatness just the true fighter of the year

Understanding understood. I just feel that the manner in which he performed in 2013 makes him fighter of the year. Relative to pugilism and the essence of sweet science he did it better than anyone and deserves the award, yet I understand arguments for Garcia. Garcia was a strong candidate and I would have had no problem if he won the award. He did good work against world class competition. He owned mattthyse and that was impressive

This post has been edited by MAHDI: Jan 4 2014, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 4 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (MAHDI @ Jan 4 2014, 09:53 AM) *
Understanding understood. I just feel that the manner in which he performed in 2013 makes him fighter of the year. Relative to pugilism and the essence of sweet science he did it better than anyone and deserves the award, yet I understand arguments for Garcia. Garcia was a strong candidate and I would have had no problem if he won the award. He did good work against world class competition. He owned mattthyse and that was impressive

Garcia had one impressive win this year and while it was a great one not enough to be fighter of the year...that title should say I shook things the fuck up this year.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:57 PM