mrchitown
post Feb 1 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #11

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2014, 08:27 PM) *
So we love GRJ again... lol. the kid has talent,

I always loved him but I hated the opposition, but he's been calling for a title shot since last year and their ignoring him. he's been trying to step up the comp but it's fallen on deaf ears
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 2 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

For some reason I can see Mares becoming the next Ortiz.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Feb 2 2014, 01:32 AM

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 2 2014, 12:57 PM
Post #13

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 1 2014, 11:39 PM) *
I always loved him but I hated the opposition, but he's been calling for a title shot since last year and their ignoring him. he's been trying to step up the comp but it's fallen on deaf ears

THIS. It's no accident, he hasn't gotten a shot....it's the fault of both his team (Haymon & Co.) & top fighters.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Feb 2 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #14

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

I always hated Mares since the first Agbeko fight. Fuck him lol

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 2 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

Personally I don't believe there's an injury, he knows that Johnny has his number and will KO him again. I've heard over and over how sparring means little but I beg to differ; when you spar with someone you learn things that they do/habits (good or bad) that they have and you can capitalize on them if they haven't done anything to work to change them. In the case between these two, they've had many sparring sessions together and even then Gonzalez was getting the best of him everytime they went at it, so it was quite surprising to me that they called Johnny out for the first match but I guess they had assumed he was past his better days but then found out the hard way.

I believe Mares now understands that he'd fare no better in a rematch and more than likely would be put to sleep in a more devastating fashion because he'd be facing the Champ and a man who is even more confident in his abilities vs him.

Flat out and straight up Mares punked out.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 2 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #16

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 2 2014, 11:57 AM) *
THIS. It's no accident, he hasn't gotten a shot....it's the fault of both his team (Haymon & Co.) & top fighters.

At least he's trying now to land the title fights

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 2 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #17

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 02:04 PM) *
Personally I don't believe there's an injury, he knows that Johnny has his number and will KO him again. I've heard over and over how sparring means little but I beg to differ; when you spar with someone you learn things that they do/habits (good or bad) that they have and you can capitalize on them if they haven't done anything to work to change them. In the case between these two, they've had many sparring sessions together and even then Gonzalez was getting the best of him everytime they went at it, so it was quite surprising to me that they called Johnny out for the first match but I guess they had assumed he was past his better days but then found out the hard way.

I believe Mares now understands that he'd fare no better in a rematch and more than likely would be put to sleep in a more devastating fashion because he'd be facing the Champ and a man who is even more confident in his abilities vs him.

Flat out and straight up Mares punked out.

Ali used to spare Holmes and he used to whip on him and some other future heavies something serious. Many remember the fight between the 2 but I doubt many would pick a prime Holmes over a prime Ali. Mayweather got worked by Spadafora and Lamont Peterson. They aint working him over in no fight. I think Jhonny's situation was a case of good game planning and just a little bit of their sparring sessions.

Sparring against a future opponent don't mean shit really because whose to say they're the same fighter as when you sparred them or the mistakes they made when sparring you are still there? Mares isn't hard to find, he comes straight at you. You don't have to reflect back on sparring for that. I'm one of the ones who don't believe it holds weight

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Feb 2 2014, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Feb 2 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #18

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 14,114

damn, the same people who claim Russell is scared of comp are oblivious to him wanting Gonzalez and being denied... smh

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 2 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #19

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 2 2014, 02:19 PM) *
Ali used to spare Holmes and he used to whip on him and some other future heavies something serious. Many remember the fight between the 2 but I doubt many would pick a prime Holmes over a prime Ali. Mayweather got worked by Spadafora and Lamont Peterson. They aint working him over in no fight. I think Jhonny's situation was a case of good game planning and just a little bit of their sparring sessions.

Sparring against a future opponent don't mean shit really because whose to say they're the same fighter as when you sparred them or the mistakes they made when sparring you are still there? Mares isn't hard to find, he comes straight at you. You don't have to reflect back on sparring for that. I'm one of the ones who don't believe it holds weight

I'm not a proponent who says that what happens in sparring will dictate what happens in the ring but I do believe that once a fighter spars with any fighter that if there was a certain type of fear there before they ever were to lace them up in an official fight that it would be diminished in sparring.

Let's look at this hypothetically; if Spinks had sparred with Tyson prior to his fateful night vs Mike, I don't think he would've been fearful or as fearful of him when they met. There is no way that anyone can tell me that Spinks' demeanor in that fight and his particular way of fighting that night wasn't out of fear, he did everything except sh@t himself before Mike put him to sleep.

Sparring doesn't tell the tale of what happens in the ring but I think it does play a part on the psychology of fighters in the ring.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #20

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 04:02 PM) *
I'm not a proponent who says that what happens in sparring will dictate what happens in the ring but I do believe that once a fighter spars with any fighter that if there was a certain type of fear there before they ever were to lace them up in an official fight that it would be diminished in sparring.

Let's look at this hypothetically; if Spinks had sparred with Tyson prior to his fateful night vs Mike, I don't think he would've been fearful or as fearful of him when they met. There is no way that anyone can tell me that Spinks' demeanor in that fight and his particular way of fighting that night wasn't out of fear, he did everything except sh@t himself before Mike put him to sleep.

Sparring doesn't tell the tale of what happens in the ring but I think it does play a part on the psychology of fighters in the ring.

Oh Spinks lol, he will never live down that fight, ever! And he shouldn't.

I think that sparring has a negative effect when the two getting in the ring when it actually counts because most of the time it actually looks like a paid sparring session. I can't say fear is a factor because everyone who gets in the ring is in fear. They may not say it on camera or on the record but all fighters are fearful. Some just show it more then others. Tyson admits he was scared shit less when he fought. You either turn the fear into a weapon or it consumes you

He sparred Holyfield many times before and he did the same against Lennox I believe, he didn't approach the fight with any preconceived notions other than his usual. Some trainers share your belief about sparring though, i happen to be one of those that don't. If you can't do it when it counts it's null and void and usually that's what we see happen...in Abner's case he came straight at him, like a bull, just straight ahead. he didn't have to spar him to get that KO. I do have doubts now that Mares can beat him again now though

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:54 PM