IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why are people clamoring for 3G vs Floyd?, When 3G hasn't even beaten an A level fighter yet!!
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 10:24 AM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 3 2014, 05:11 AM) *
Let me say first that I don't believe that Golovkin should be on Mayweather's radar... yet. However, when you want to put him in a category with greats like Sugar Ray Robinson, Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard, they all did just that. They challenged guys at higher weights. They won some, they lost some. They are revered in our eyes because they dared to take on a challenge that we thought was very risky. They were not always an overwhelming favorite in their challenges. When was the last time Mayweather fought a guy where the majority didn't overwhelmingly favor him? It hasn't happened. Those three guys mentioned above were not always the overwhelming favorite every single time out.

Its a matter of people just wanting to see a good fight and get their money's worth out of a $70 PPV. I know I'm tired of seeing Mayweather breeze through the WW class. I don't think Khan or Maidana are legitimate challenges. He will again be an overwhelming favorite and easily beat both of those guys. He may even win by KO. I'm not paying for Khan or Maidana. Neither one of those guys is even the BEST challenge at WW. I wouldn't have been mad if Mayweather moved up and challenged Sergio Martinez, who is clearly more deserving than Golovkin. If/when Golovkin eclipses Martinez, then we can also put him in the conversation.

I've already stated my opinion in many a thread on the bolded. So I won't rehash old stuff. But this is the worst argument ever

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Feb 3 2014, 10:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 10:28 AM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 07:21 PM) *
Well there are a few over there that are straight up racist bigots who will argue you up and down that not one person can beat 3G, they make it seem as though the only one who'd beat him is one of the Klitschkos. lol

I think I will take a look over there. I never knew it was that bad, I heard stuff but nothing like what your saying. Golovkin is supposedly considering moving up to 168 next year, I hope he fights Ward then so we can shut this topic up because he's a hype job. I think he's a very good boxer but he's not a great one and he wouldn't be such a hype job if the boogeyman clan wouldn't nut hug him so much. But he still isn't a s good as advertised

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 3 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2014, 05:05 PM) *
Well just read some of the Ish said by posters on this forum; quite a few have mentioned they want to see 3G face Floyd but my belief is that the main people who want to see them fight is due to their dislike for Mayweather and for the fact that they believe that 3G is going to do what they want (put him to sleep).

Personally I don't believe that 3G's flat-flooted style and leaky defense would be tailormade for Mayweather.

I'm starting to NOT put so much stock into some posters around here...some of these guys appear to be undercover casual fans, not be their own admission, but due to their backwards logic and fantasy fight fever. GGG is good, good to watch, but that's about it. Hell, maybe he's better than we think, but as soon as retard boxing "fans" start hyping a guy up, I tend to no like them anymore. Guys were clamoring over Matthysse, but as soon as Danny shut him down, we hardly hear his name around here. Lol

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 3 2014, 05:13 AM) *
Because realistically theres nothing left for him at welterweight and light middle that both fit his criteria and the fans. I mean he won't fight Lara because Lara isn't known, so fair enough, mans gotta eat. So why not Martinez, he did well with his PPV with Garcia, 475k supposedly(you know the Bobfather). If he beats Cotto in spectacular fashion am sure that'll raise his popularity. The fans criteria him to fight somebody that we don't know if he'll actually beat for once.

edit: The whole why 3G deal is because his seemingly undeniable power, and while he has some thudding power, reminiscent to Mike Tyson, it's not the same level, hence why he isn't destroying people within 1-4 rounds and getting these TKOs, so they think IF he touches Mayweather up he may do some serious damage, and while in a way I think with his power if he commits to the body he maybe able to do some damage, just seems way to slow for me. So to finish it all off, GGG vs Canelo.

There IS something something left for him at WW and 154, but if "fans" would put more time and attention into those fighters and their fights, then maybe some of it will make sense. It's not secret that he sits back and sees who performs the best, then picks them, but again, most "fans" out there, spend so much time talking about him, and not about what's in front of them.

I think the whole GGG thing is a bit absurd, but hey, who am I to judge? I think that more time and attention needs to be put into the WW and JWM divisions...or should I say, more promotion. There's not a lot of stars out there, so I guess fans have to make fights up and try to push them.

We're obviously not in the era of ODLH, Mosley, Hopkins, Trinidad, Wright, Vargas, Mayorga, etc...those were the days, and those dudes were stars in their own rite. We don't have that many names to fall back on nowadays, and it's sad, because all of these social networks are in place, and these guys still can't make a decent name for themselves.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 10:49 AM) *
I'm starting to NOT put so much stock into some posters around here...some of these guys appear to be undercover casual fans, not be their own admission, but due to their backwards logic and fantasy fight fever. GGG is good, good to watch, but that's about it. Hell, maybe he's better than we think, but as soon as retard boxing "fans" start hyping a guy up, I tend to no like them anymore. Guys were clamoring over Matthysse, but as soon as Danny shut him down, we hardly hear his name around here. Lol

There IS something something left for him at WW and 154, but if "fans" would put more time and attention into those fighters and their fights, then maybe some of it will make sense. It's not secret that he sits back and sees who performs the best, then picks them, but again, most "fans" out there, spend so much time talking about him, and not about what's in front of them.

I think the whole GGG thing is a bit absurd, but hey, who am I to judge? I think that more time and attention needs to be put into the WW and JWM divisions...or should I say, more promotion. There's not a lot of stars out there, so I guess fans have to make fights up and try to push them.

We're obviously not in the era of ODLH, Mosley, Hopkins, Trinidad, Wright, Vargas, Mayorga, etc...those were the days, and those dudes were stars in their own rite. We don't have that many names to fall back on nowadays, and it's sad, because all of these social networks are in place, and these guys still can't make a decent name for themselves.

You might be onto something here. It's too many microwave celebs and in sports, it'd the same thing. Too many prisoner of the moment types. Like how they were hailing Jeremy Lynn as some as a future NBA superstar. Or in boxing, like how they built up Pavlik. Same way they did Matthysse, and how their doing GGG, Kovalev and Stevenson. And I find it hilarious that their doing the same thing with Maidana and they did the same thing when he beat Ortiz. Then he loses a few and no one speaks of him now he's the boogeyman again. Hypocrites

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Feb 3 2014, 12:37 PM

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 3 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 3 2014, 10:24 AM) *
I've already stated my opinion in many a thread on the bolded. So I won't rehash old stuff. But this is the worst argument ever

Why not just post your opinion so we can take this discussion on for another 18 pages?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 3 2014, 03:28 PM
Post #26

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 3 2014, 12:37 PM) *
You might be onto something here. It's too many microwave celebs and in sports, it'd the same thing. Too many prisoner of the moment types. Like how they were hailing Jeremy Lynn as some as a future NBA superstar. Or in boxing, like how they built up Pavlik. Same way they did Matthysse, and how their doing GGG, Kovalev and Stevenson. And I find it hilarious that their doing the same thing with Maidana and they did the same thing when he beat Ortiz. Then he loses a few and no one speaks of him now he's the boogeyman again. Hypocrites

Man I'm about to just start a thread...a brotha's in his feelings today. I'll stick with the lack of promotion, since I already made the boogeyman Matthysse thread. Lol

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 3 2014, 01:56 PM) *
Why not just post your opinion so we can take this discussion on for another 18 pages?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) nice

Well I don't think what the guys of the past did should have anything remotely to do with what Mayweather is doing. He's set a precedent already with the random drug testing, fight purses and money revenue period and his ATG status was cemented at the lighter weight classes before he even moved up to 147...they blazed their trail and he's blazing his own too

I don't think Lebron or Kobe has to win 6rings to be considered ATG's or better then Jordan but yet we see this tom foolery because no one wants to admit that a current athlete could be greater the the one we've seen before. For the record, neither is better then Jordan imo. But in terms Floyd can't be Floyd. He has to be one of the golden era fighters. Ward can't be Ward. He has to be the new Hopkins....and it goes on and on. if Mayweather's ATG status is still in doubt to some then there's realistically nothing he can do to prove those fans otherwise.

And also no one at MW besides Martinez has done anything close to warranting a fight with Mayweather. Because Golovkin beat a Ishida, a Rosado. A Adama..and a host of other who the hell are they's??? He deserves a fight with Mayweather? I don't think so. People fear the boogeyman but GGG is limited and.no one talks about that fact and his shitty resume. I've said it once and I'll said it again, don't call for no fight with him and Floyd and yet disregard that Ward and Froch pulled his card and he bitched out.

Mayweather doesn't have to prove anything else, he can retire now and he'd be a HOFer and an ATG. I love the guys you and others mention but they had their time and their time is passed. It's a new day and a new king. I appreciate what I'm witnessing, there's never going to be another like him. Ever! I appreciate what I get to witness and those who don't or thinks he has something to prove still I tell them to stop watching because their in a battle they can't win

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 3 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #28

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

at the end of the day whats ggg gonna do that canelo couldnt?

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 3 2014, 03:58 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2014, 02:28 PM) *
Man I'm about to just start a thread...a brotha's in his feelings today. I'll stick with the lack of promotion, since I already made the boogeyman Matthysse thread. Lol

Social media has changed the landscaping of how we consume and view everything and that extends to sports. I've stated I'm not a fan of it. It gave a voice to people who shouldn't have one, I know that's cold but it's true lol

As far as GGG and Matthyse, Maidana etc go. Every time someone enters the closet the boogeyman is destroyed. It's fighters willing to walk in that closet but GGG and his people are holding the knob....they know what awaits them

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 3 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 3 2014, 03:54 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) nice

Well I don't think what the guys of the past did should have anything remotely to do with what Mayweather is doing. He's set a precedent already with the random drug testing, fight purses and money revenue period and his ATG status was cemented at the lighter weight classes before he even moved up to 147...they blazed their trail and he's blazing his own too

I don't think Lebron or Kobe has to win 6rings to be considered ATG's or better then Jordan but yet we see this tom foolery because no one wants to admit that a current athlete could be greater the the one we've seen before. For the record, neither is better then Jordan imo. But in terms Floyd can't be Floyd. He has to be one of the golden era fighters. Ward can't be Ward. He has to be the new Hopkins....and it goes on and on. if Mayweather's ATG status is still in doubt to some then there's realistically nothing he can do to prove those fans otherwise.

And also no one at MW besides Martinez has done anything close to warranting a fight with Mayweather. Because Golovkin beat a Ishida, a Rosado. A Adama..and a host of other who the hell are they's??? He deserves a fight with Mayweather? I don't think so. People fear the boogeyman but GGG is limited and.no one talks about that fact and his shitty resume. I've said it once and I'll said it again, don't call for no fight with him and Floyd and yet disregard that Ward and Froch pulled his card and he bitched out.

Mayweather doesn't have to prove anything else, he can retire now and he'd be a HOFer and an ATG. I love the guys you and others mention but they had their time and their time is passed. It's a new day and a new king. I appreciate what I'm witnessing, there's never going to be another like him. Ever! I appreciate what I get to witness and those who don't or thinks he has something to prove still I tell them to stop watching because their in a battle they can't win

I agree with much of what you wrote. I do say that Mayweather can always plot his career in the direction he see's fit. The modern athlete will always be compared to greats of the past. Past guys like Jordan, Dr J, , Ali, Leonard and such, set a standard or a bar if you will. Prior to those guys there was also a standard set by the generation that came before them. Each successive generation since has raised the bar by outdoing the previous generations accomplishments. Mayweather although great, and there's no one here questioning that he is, hasn't raised the standard much. He hasn't been significantly challenged. His comfort zone has not been breached. Don't fault past legends for doing so in their careers and then say that Mayweather cant be judged by the same standard that we judge other athletes by. He's in the same boat. Fighting the Khan's and Maidanas of the world will make him money, but don't up the standard for the game.

You are absolutely correct, that he doesn't have anything left to prove. However as a paying fan, I don't have anything left to give when its gotten to that point in a guys career. So I wont be paying to see the The Miami Hurricanes vs Kutztown State anytime soon.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:21 AM