> FightHype Q&A - February 13, 2014
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #11

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 13 2014, 02:40 PM) *
What the hell is up with GARY RUSSELL JR!!!!!! Is he contracted by golden boy or just Al Haymon? Can you and find out what is up with the layoffs, weak competition, and what kind of hand injuries this guy has for real for real. Its not looking too good for him at the moment, but hes such a great fighter. I have heard he has very bad hand injuries and promotional issues. Get back to me if you got time.

Gary Russell Jr. should finally have a decent opponent in his next bout. I can't speak too much on who it will be right now, but it will definitely be a step in the right direction. He's not tied to any promoter as far as I know. He's just with Al Haymon, but typically, he does work with Golden Boy. The layoffs were primarily due to hand injuries, and because he had those hand injuries, his team preferred to play it safe in the comeback fights, which meant weak competition. I just think it's an issue of the hand injuries that have continued to stall his career, but after his last fight, it looks like that's no longer a problem so he should now be moving forward to that next level.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Feb 13 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,879

Any word on Mikey Garcia vs Yuri Gamboa? I heard its being worked out right now and the negotiations are going well. Yuri ants to fight at 130 and mikey ants 135.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 13 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1. What will Golden Boy do with Victor Ortiz and Guerrero?

2. Can Andre Berto save his career and who do you see him fighting next?

3. Are you giving Angulo a good shot to beat Canelo?

4. What the deal on Rigondeaux, do you think he will resign with Arum or will he look for greener pastures?

+Quote Post
philly31
post Feb 13 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 14,124

What's the likelihood we get a blockbuster undercard for mayweather vs khan (if that gets finalized)? Is like to see something like ...

Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Joseto Lopez

Badou Jack vs. Sakio Bika
or
Lara vs. Quillin

Robert Guerrero vs. Keith Thurman
or
Marcos Maidana vs. Shawn Porter

Maidana gets Floyd in September if he wins.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 13 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #15

The Consultant

Member No.: 14

WELCOME BACK, BEN!!!!!!!

My question is, who would you like to see Keith Thurman fight next?

Jack

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 13 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

Hey Ben! I have three questions for now that revolve around the same subject.

Is woman's boxing a lost cause in marketing?

What's the main issues of why woman's MMA is thriving, while woman's boxing almost seems non existent in the public eye?

What's the update on that American 2012 Woman Boxing Olympic Medalist Claressa Shields, has she turned pro since then?

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #17

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 13 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Any word on Mikey Garcia vs Yuri Gamboa? I heard its being worked out right now and the negotiations are going well. Yuri ants to fight at 130 and mikey ants 135.

Nothing new to report yet. Still negotiating. Not sure about the weight being an issue...especially since Gamboa last fought at 135. From what I heard, it was an issue with the money. Garcia was wanting more than HBO was willing to offer. I don't know if that got worked out yet or not, but let's cross our fingers because that's actually a good fight that will tell us more about Garcia than any of his past fights have.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Feb 13 2014, 04:55 PM
Post #18

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Hey Ben, I never knew you were active on the boards, or the root admin. I should've done my homework, but it cool to meet you none the less... I have a few questions, some things i have been thinking about.

1) Mayweather vs Sergio Martinez- Do you think this fight is possible, main concern being the weight difference. Would you agree that the fight could generate alot of money on a May 3rd date?! Especially including Maidana on the undercard to have both Argentinians on the same card.

2) Whats in store for Lara's Future? Does he have a title shot coming up soon? Why has he not gotten a championship fight compared to someone new like Jermall charlo, or Demetrius Andrade... How do you see 154 shaping up this year.

3) How possible would it be for Rigondeaux to fight on showtime? Do you think he would be in store for bigger and better fights?

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 05:21 PM
Post #19

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2014, 03:00 PM) *
I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1. What will Golden Boy do with Victor Ortiz and Guerrero?

2. Can Andre Berto save his career and who do you see him fighting next?

3. Are you giving Angulo a good shot to beat Canelo?

4. What the deal on Rigondeaux, do you think he will resign with Arum or will he look for greener pastures?

1. Not sure about Ortiz, but he's definitely recyclable. I'd still enjoy seeing him in rematches with Berto or Josesito Lopez. I don't think he's as washed up as some people think. That being said, I don't know if his heart is into boxing anymore. As for Guerrero, don't be surprised to see him fighting someone you did not expect in the very near future. And when you find out who, make sure you remember who gave you the first hint.

2. I think he can save his career if he changes the way he fights. For whatever reason, he seems to think that being in wars is a good thing. LOL. Sure, it's fun for the fans, but if you ain't built for that type of fight, you're not going to win them. In my opinion, he's never been built for fights like that. He should be relying more on his speed and athleticism...in other words, he should be boxing more. If you get him the right opponents, he can definitely showcase that and work his way back into the spotlight. If I were his matchmaker, I'd target someone like Josesito Lopez first...then maybe have a rematch with Luis Collazo before going after some of the other more familiar names.

3. Absolutely I think Angulo has a good shot. Don't get me wrong, I expect Canelo to get a decision, however, Canelo, in my opinion, is not a big puncher, so if Angulo takes his best punch and walks right through it, I think we're going to see Canelo's chin tested more than we've seen in the past. And with that being said, we've seen Canelo rocked before, so if Angulo can get to him, which I think he can, we might see an upset. He'll have to win by KO (or at least several knockdowns) though.

4. Rigo should have bounced from Top Rank the minute that Arum said he couldn't get him back on HBO because of his style. Essentially, his promoter said that he didn't know how to promote him. That sounds like grounds for breaking a contract to me. Regardless, I don't see Rigo leaving Top Rank any time soon. As long as he's still happy with the money he's getting, he probably won't go anywhere. It's actually pretty rare that a fighter leaves Top Rank. Go figure.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #20

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (philly31 @ Feb 13 2014, 03:18 PM) *
What's the likelihood we get a blockbuster undercard for mayweather vs khan (if that gets finalized)? Is like to see something like ...

Pablo Cesar Cano vs. Joseto Lopez

Badou Jack vs. Sakio Bika
or
Lara vs. Quillin

Robert Guerrero vs. Keith Thurman
or
Marcos Maidana vs. Shawn Porter

Maidana gets Floyd in September if he wins.

First we have to wait and see who Mayweather picks before we start talking about some of the potential fights you mentioned. I can, however, confirm that as long as fighter x accepts the offer, then just like Garcia vs. Matthysse was for Mayweather vs. Canelo, there will be another pretty good co-main event to Mayweather's next fight. In fact, I think some of you will be surprised by it.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 02:15 AM