thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #21

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 13 2014, 03:54 PM) *
WELCOME BACK, BEN!!!!!!!

My question is, who would you like to see Keith Thurman fight next?

Jack

Thanks Jack.

Well, I think they're going to try and push for Thurman vs. Collazo, though it seems like Collazo is reluctant to do that fight unless he gets paid. Personally though, I think Thurman is past that stage of his career. He should be fighting champions, and with that said, I would LOVE to see him fight IBF champ Shawn Porter. That's an all-action fight right there and somebody is bound to get knocked the FVCK out!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 05:46 PM
Post #22

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Feb 13 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Hey Ben! I have three questions for now that revolve around the same subject.

Is woman's boxing a lost cause in marketing?

What's the main issues of why woman's MMA is thriving, while woman's boxing almost seems non existent in the public eye?

What's the update on that American 2012 Woman Boxing Olympic Medalist Claressa Shields, has she turned pro since then?

1. I don't think it's a lost cause. Someone just has to actually care enough to try and market it.

2. Well, it's thriving because of what I said in question 1...someone actually cared enough to try and market it. Honestly, it was EliteXC, Strikeforce, and Showtime that first put their backing into Woman's MMA because of hot tottie by the name of Gina Carano. At the time, it reached it's peak when Carano faced off with Cyborg. After that though, Woman's MMA kind of fell off because...well....mainly because Cyborg beat the crap out of Gina and, quite frankly, she's just not as attractive. LOL. So Woman's MMA kind of fell off a little bit. Don't get me wrong...there was still Miesha Tate, but for whatever reason, Tate just didn't click as much....probably because she's such a sweetheart and just didn't have that "bad girl" attitude. That changed, however, when Ronda Rousey turned pro. Then, of course, you had the bad blood between her and Miesha...and then of course the fight...and then that's when Dana White finally said, "You know what? I'm gonna give this chick (Rousey) a shot." So Dana basically decided to put the UFC's backing into it and BOOM...now Woman's MMA is a hit. That's not to say that it won't die down again, which is a possibility if Rousey loses. But Dana White and the UFC have definitely put all their marketing efforts behind Rousey. That's something that woman's boxing hasn't had since the days of Laila Ali and Christy Martin. They were fortunate enough to have someone like Don King (who at the time was still promoting Mike Tyson) put his full backing into them, and thus, woman's boxing thrived. Since then, however, nobody else has been willing to do that. For example, if Floyd Mayweather decided to do that, you can believe that woman's boxing would be back on the scene again if he had a fine female kicking ass on his undercards. That type of exposure would be a GOOD thing for woman's boxing. I know for a fact that Showtime is definitely interested in the idea, as they were seriously considering putting Ana Julaton on one of Mayweather's undercards, but unfortunately, she lost her bout prior to that happening. The fact that they were considering it, however, is a good thing, so maybe there's still hope.

3. To my knowledge, Claressa Shields has NOT turned pro yet. She's still competing in amateur events. In fact, she just competed at the USA Boxing National Championships. Here's a story about that: http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/index.ss...petes_at_u.html

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Feb 13 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

Ben,

1. Are you trying to say Guerrero will be thrown into a tough fight for pulling that contract stunt.

2. I can see The Ghost vs Thurman or Bronner on the Mayweather undercard if Maidana gets the main event. Am I right? Lol

3. Why doesn't boxing have a 30 minute to a hour show on one of the major sport channels( ESPN, FS1 etc...) like the NFL and other leagues. Is the market just not prominent? They can have one professional anchor and 2-5 boxing experts( trainers, fighters, managers etc) to recap what's going on in the boxing world. KO of the week, fighter interviews and so much more. Just my thoughts though.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #24

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Feb 13 2014, 06:12 PM) *
Ben,

1. Are you trying to say Guerrero will be thrown into a tough fight for pulling that contract stunt.

2. I can see The Ghost vs Thurman or Bronner on the Mayweather undercard if Maidana gets the main event. Am I right? Lol

3. Why doesn't boxing have a 30 minute to a hour show on one of the major sport channels( ESPN, FS1 etc...) like the NFL and other leagues. Is the market just not prominent? They can have one professional anchor and 2-5 boxing experts( trainers, fighters, managers etc) to recap what's going on in the boxing world. KO of the week, fighter interviews and so much more. Just my thoughts though.

1. I'm simply saying from what I hear, Guerrero's next fight will likely be one worth watching. I do not think he's being punished though.

2. Nah. Not right.

3. Kind of similar to my answer about Woman's boxing....someone has to actually be interested in doing that. If those particular networks aren't interested in doing it, then it's just not going to happen. Hopefully the heads at Golden Boy can pull some strings at FS1 and maybe that can become a reality if they really want to make it happen.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Feb 13 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #25

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

Yo, Ben! Let's do this weekly or at least 3-4 times a month

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #26

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 13 2014, 07:26 PM) *
Yo, Ben! Let's do this weekly or at least 3-4 times a month

Sounds like a plan.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 13 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #27

The Consultant

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 13 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Thanks Jack.

Well, I think they're going to try and push for Thurman vs. Collazo, though it seems like Collazo is reluctant to do that fight unless he gets paid. Personally though, I think Thurman is past that stage of his career. He should be fighting champions, and with that said, I would LOVE to see him fight IBF champ Shawn Porter. That's an all-action fight right there and somebody is bound to get knocked the FVCK out!!!

Oh yea Ben,

Thurman-Porter is fireworks for sure! WOW!

Jack

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Feb 13 2014, 11:23 PM
Post #28

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

Hey Ben, two quick questions:

1) Would you consider having the chat room feature again for the site? It is lots of fun on and after big fight nights.

2) Why wouldn't Floyd consider fighting GGG if he came down to 154 or 155? I would think it would be a big money fight that would be very entertaining. I also think the network situation would be manageable between them.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 14 2014, 12:45 AM
Post #29

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (thehype @ Feb 13 2014, 12:55 PM) *
What's up, everyone? I haven't been on the boards in FOREVER, but I had a little free time today, so I figured I would pop in to answer any questions you might have.

For those that are new here...welcome.

For those that don't know me...I'm Ben Thompson.

For those that have been here forever...the head monkey in charge has returned.

With that being said, if you have a burning question that you want an answer to, or even a suggestion you might have for the site, then fire away. I don't have much free time, but I'll answer what I can.

Welcome to FightHype!

+Quote Post
gwite
post Feb 14 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #30

Amateur

Member No.: 13,990

Hi Ben, really impressed with your work.

I do however wish you(or your proxy) could put on your "radio"/podcast show on a (more)regular/frequent basis.

I know you must be very busy, so what do you think the chances are that this will ever be? That is assuming that you want a more frequent show.

Anyway, whatever you do, I'll keep following all of your good work. Thanks.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 07:18 AM