Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Consumer Guide to the Upcoming PPV fights
KOpower
post Feb 27 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

Interesting article from Grantland breaking down the upcoming PPV fights.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-educ...g-expenditures/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 27 2014, 09:06 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Actually not a bad read!

I wish the writer would've sold the Canelo/Angulo card a little better, but overall, I didn't see much wrong with what he put out there. The fact that he writes/wrote for The Ring, is a red flag, but again, he wasn't that far off here.

I'll be ordering all of the PPVs this year...that's just how I do. As I always mention, if I'm not in the comfort of my own home watching PPVs for $65-$75 each, then I'm out at a bar spending close to (if not more) than that exact amount, so I decide to order them. Besides, if the fight was too controversial or THAT good, the I'll have it all on DVR.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 27 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 27 2014, 06:06 PM) *
Actually not a bad read!

I wish the writer would've sold the Canelo/Angulo card a little better, but overall, I didn't see much wrong with what he put out there. The fact that he writes/wrote for The Ring, is a red flag, but again, he wasn't that far off here.

I'll be ordering all of the PPVs this year...that's just how I do. As I always mention, if I'm not in the comfort of my own home watching PPVs for $65-$75 each, then I'm out at a bar spending close to (if not more) than that exact amount, so I decide to order them. Besides, if the fight was too controversial or THAT good, the I'll have it all on DVR.

so you read this article

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Feb 28 2014, 03:49 AM
Post #4

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

I'm trying to go see that Cotto vs Martinez fight it's ten minutes from the crib. Canelo i'll watch the day after. Pacquaio and Mayweather events come with too many options to watch elsewhere for free. Isn't hard to find someone's crib to watch that at at. Know the mayweather undercard will be proper but wish bradley and pacquaio had put Ruslan or someone on the undercard to spice it up.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 28 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

-I will certainly see the Cotto-Martinez fight. I think it is important, the atmosphere should be great, and I think it will be a good fight. I have little confidence that the undercard will be good, but I just can't pass that main event up.

-I don't know about Pac-Bradley. I really want to see the main event, but the undercard is absolutely terrible and that makes me so upset that I don't even want to give Arum a dime. I will probably watch that fight at a friend's home or the local bar here that shows the PPV events for free.

-The Mayweather-Maidana fight depends on the undercard. If a great 2nd fight is made, i will order it. If it is just an ok 2nd fight with no real interesting 3rd and 4th fights, I won't order it.

-I will probably get the Canel-Angulo fight because the entire card is solid and the main event should be exciting.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 28 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 28 2014, 09:20 AM) *
-I will certainly see the Cotto-Martinez fight. I think it is important, the atmosphere should be great, and I think it will be a good fight. I have little confidence that the undercard will be good, but I just can't pass that main event up.

-I don't know about Pac-Bradley. I really want to see the main event, but the undercard is absolutely terrible and that makes me so upset that I don't even want to give Arum a dime. I will probably watch that fight at a friend's home or the local bar here that shows the PPV events for free.

-The Mayweather-Maidana fight depends on the undercard. If a great 2nd fight is made, i will order it. If it is just an ok 2nd fight with no real interesting 3rd and 4th fights, I won't order it.

-I will probably get the Canel-Angulo fight because the entire card is solid and the main event should be exciting.

1. I like this fight as well, but do you think it's really PPV worthy? I'm not saying that it truly isn't, but why do you feel that it's PPV worthy, or do you? The undercard may not be all that bad, because Arum's involved, but the fact that DiBella is copromoting it, may not be all that bad...that's if Arum doesn't have exclusive rights to promote the whole card.

2. Same here, I wanna see how the main event pans out, but Arum's made it clear just how shitty the undercard is. Dude didn't lift a finger to make a decent undercard.

3. At least it appears that GBP tries to put on great undercards for these Mayweather cards, but it sucks, because most of those fights end up getting cancelled and the opponents change so much before the fight date. I remember Morales was supposed to fight Matthyse, Crolla, and Barrios for the Star Power card, and all of those opponents pulled out. It probably would've been the end of Morales, but I really wanted to see him and Matthysse fight.

4. I'm drooling over the Canelo/Angulo card, but seriously, they could've had this fight on Showtime Championship Boxing. I can't really complain about the card, but if Broner/Maidana was being bashed for being a PPV (before they decided not to), then I'm not sure why there have been little complaints about Canelo's fight being a PPV.

Overall, boxing fans are cheap and fickle, period. Guys run around complaining about what they will and wont order, like someone gives a damn...like somebody's gonna beg them to order it.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 28 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

You boys are in luck, HBO is televising Froch vs Groves, and even if they didnt, I'd be there with a camera for a live show for you guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 28 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2014, 12:33 PM) *
4. I'm drooling over the Canelo/Angulo card, but seriously, they could've had this fight on Showtime Championship Boxing. I can't really complain about the card, but if Broner/Maidana was being bashed for being a PPV (before they decided not to), then I'm not sure why there have been little complaints about Canelo's fight being a PPV.

Overall, boxing fans are cheap and fickle, period. Guys run around complaining about what they will and wont order, like someone gives a damn...like somebody's gonna beg them to order it.

Danger zone on paper was more ppv worthy to me and proved such as each fight ended ...toe to toe is is also a good card I just think people didn't want broner headlining a ppv for all the wrong reasons ...hell it was promoted 10x better the canelo crowd quite as fuck about this card.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 28 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #9

Lightweight

1. I think it is PPV worthy for sure. 2 big name fighters and the winner will really see a boost in the legacy department. I also think Martinez is old enough to make this a really interesting fight. If this fight is made 2 years ago, Martinez might be too much in the boxing department. I just think it's an important fight between 2 fighters that are close enough to their prime for it to be meaningful.

2. Arum said he doesn't care about undercards. I can't stand that opinion and it makes me not want to buy it. I do think the main event could be really exciting. Bradley will look to take the fight to Pac b/c he is probably more confident now than ever. Pac will be more aggressive after what happened the first time.

3. GBP is ALWAYS looking to put on a good undercard. I give them tons of credit for that. Even the undercard they put on for Mayweather-Guerrero is much better than anything Arum puts on for Pac. But the undercard that the Mayweahter-Guerrero fight had will NOT be enough to make me buy Mayweather-Maidana. I think that is such a mismatch and just more of the same...Mayweather abusing a slow fighter in the middle of the ring.

4. I loved the original Broner-Maidana card. I was really excited and would have gladly paid $60 for it. I thought the main event was interesting (it was really about testing Broner to see where he was), Thurman-JSK was going to be great, Ortiz on the card, and I think Angulo was even being mentioned on there. That is a great night of boxing. I like this card as well and the main event may be a blowout but with Angulo you have a chance for some major fireworks. Plus we get to see more questions answered about Canelo. He will be facing a tough and rugged 154 pound fighter. If he handles Angulo easily, I think he answers some lingering questions from the Mayweather fight.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 28 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #10

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I agree. If they can do Maidana-Broner on regular Showtime, it should be the same for Canelo-Angulo.

Cotto-Martinez is good, but not PPV worthy. Cotto is past his prime, and it just seems like Martinez is not strong enough for PPV. The Latin-American/Mexican clientele will push big numbers though.

Bradley-Pacquiao's strenth as a PPV comes from the controversy of the first fight in the scoring. Bradley won't war with Pacquaio because of the Rusliam fight. His trainer doesn't want him doing that any more. I think Pacquiao may be slipping. People still delusional and only want the impossible, Pacquiao-Mayweather. Bradley won't brawl and because of that not a PPV draw. Tim is not enough of a household name. Manny has to carry this load, alone.

Broner-Maidana's non PPV Showtime card may have been the greatest non-PPV card for competitive and fun matches that I have EVER SEEN!

Jack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 05:10 PM