Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto in driver's seat for big buck$ with Martinez win
Cshel86
post Mar 3 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Cotto gets beat into retirement on June 7th...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 3 2014, 02:43 PM
Post #12

Super Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,114

Miguel beat a complete no-hoper in Delvin and his fans have immediately ran with the narrative of "he's back", "Roach is amazing", "top notch fighter" utter nonsense... this beating Sergio puts on him will be very gratifying (smh)

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 3 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 3 2014, 11:36 AM) *
I don't see it happening in any place but Vegas either but trust me, MSG is way bigger than Yankee Stadium. Maybe if it was the old Yankee stadium. They don't call it the greatest arena in the world for no reason. There's something magical about that place. And you're right, my Knicks suck but we STILL have the most valuable franchise in the NBA. It's because of MSG. Plus, they have that new glass catwalk. NYC in general will have the better crowd over Vegas, with the gigantic Puerto Rican population in NY. I think the atmosphere would second to only Mayweather vs Hatton.

Idk. I live NY. Some of the best times I've had were there. And I've attended a Cotto fight at MSG and the atmosphere is pretty live but I haven't seen anything from a boxing standpoint that jumps over Vegas. I only said Yankee Stadium because it holds more people and I think boxing needs to move out of a Barclays or an MSG and hit a stadium every now and then. Joe Louis fought at Comiskey Park, you had boxers who fought at the old Yankee Stadium. Time to do something different

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 3 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #14

Super Bantamweight

mrchitown, having the ability to hold more people does nothing for me, see Pac-Clottey at Jerrys World, but I digress... I've also been to Cotto MSG fights against Shane and Clottey and it was electric both times

so probably not better than MGM for the week leading up but just as good on fight night to me

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Mar 4 2014, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

cotto/floyd 2 in msg would be a crazy ass atmosphere

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 4 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 3 2014, 05:32 PM) *
mrchitown, having the ability to hold more people does nothing for me, see Pac-Clottey at Jerrys World, but I digress... I've also been to Cotto MSG fights against Shane and Clottey and it was electric both times

so probably not better than MGM for the week leading up but just as good on fight night to me

So let me get this right...because it does nothing for you means what to me exactly? lmao

I'm looking at it in a historical sense...when you look through the history of boxing some of the best fights happened at soldier field or Comiskey Park here in Chicago or at Yankee Stadium and at MSG if course. But personally for a fight like that, if I was advising Mayweather I wouldn't bother fighting at MSG when it's a historical fight for him. You've got the 1st and probably the 2nd ppv draws in the sport fighting for the MW crown and add to that the Mayweather effect. Idk but I wouldn't put it at MSG. Maybe it's just me. I think people want him to fight there because other past legends did

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 4 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #17

Super Bantamweight

here we go with the ole "back in the days talk"... this is not back in the effin days bruh, and just like you have your historical preference of fighters in oversized stadiums where the sight lines suck, I'll prefer my arenas where you can feel the electricity with every punch

somebody tell this dude bigger isn't always better, the MGM just garnered the BIGGEST GROSSING EVENT EVER last year in case you didn't know this, NOT Cowboy stadium filled up with $10-25 seats... people who spend money don't want to be sitting with 60k novice fans, rather 18k choice seats

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 5 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 4 2014, 08:37 PM) *
here we go with the ole "back in the days talk"... this is not back in the effin days bruh, and just like you have your historical preference of fighters in oversized stadiums where the sight lines suck, I'll prefer my arenas where you can feel the electricity with every punch

somebody tell this dude bigger isn't always better, the MGM just garnered the BIGGEST GROSSING EVENT EVER last year in case you didn't know this, NOT Cowboy stadium filled up with $10-25 seats... people who spend money don't want to be sitting with 60k novice fans, rather 18k choice seats

It's all subjective. You have your way of seeing it and I have mine. Accept it or not. I don't really care. But I'd rather see it in a bigger arena then some place like MSG..last year there was a card at US Cellular field here in Chicago and the atmosphere was just as electric as it would've been in an MSG or a United Center or a Staples center. Fans provide the atmosphere that kinda stuff not an arena

Stop bringing up a Pacquiao fight that we all knew wasn't big in the first place. What that fight did do was enhance the legacy of Manny. And there were writers and fans alike that night who believe the atmosphere was electric. You can feel the electricity anywhere, an arena doesn't hold a patent on that. And yes I know Floyd just fought in the biggest grossing fight of all time, I attended the fight. But I don't share your sentiments in this regard. Why at MSG? Why not at the Barclays in BK? I think it would be selling the fight short to put it at a place like the garden

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Mar 5 2014, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 5 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I just don't like the idea of Cotto "being in the driver's seat". Anytime he has control of his career, he does silly stuff...like moving up to fight an athletic, full-blown MW in Martinez. Truthfully, I wouldn't even think about a Floyd rematch, since Cotto's put himself in front of yet another roadblock, where he's clearly "outskilled'.

For those that are secretly hoping that Sergio gets old overnight, has another thing coming. He had nothing to truly gain in the Murray fight, but here's his chance to beat a HOF and give himself more drawing power, possibly. He did the same thing in the Trout fight, and look where it got him...now he HAS to do silly stuff like move up in weight, just to "keep the fire alive", so to speak.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 5 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 3 2014, 11:38 AM) *
Cotto gets beat into retirement on June 7th...

He is going to get the Paul Williams treatment. Just horrible!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 06:00 AM