IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would You Like To See Maidana Shock The World And Beat Mayweather?, Think about this....Pacquiao-Maidana Has FIREWORKS ALL OVER IT!
DigitalBoom
post Apr 15 2014, 12:51 AM
Post #11

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,960

Yes and here's why...I like to see the boxing world in chaos. The post bradley vs pacquaio fight, the post JMM ko of Manny, that kind of chaos is beautiful for boxing. Let's be real the 147 division has had the same 3 or 4 taste makers the last 7 or so years. I definitely wouldn't like to see floyd KO'd or hurt or some crazy shhh like that but him coming even close to losing or actually losing I think at least would fire up the belly of a ton of boxing fans. Tell me you weren't going wild when you saw Pacquaio face down vs Jmm? I did want Floyd to fight Martinez a few years back at 154 if Martinez could make the weight, I still think he had perhaps the best chance. Not sure there is a guy at 147 or 154 who would have the skillset to beat him so unless it's the night off of a lifetime for him I don't see it happening. Perhaps we'd also start seeing some title shots that aren't based on which opponent brings in the most ppv buys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Apr 15 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #12

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Jack, HOW DARE YOU!! lol... How disrespect of y'all (digital & Jack). If there was an actual legit championship crown. Mayweather would have been holding it for the last 17 years! (might even be 18 now) While every said name that people choose to beat Mayweather- Martinez, Pac, etc etc. We're taking losses.

In any sport, there has to be number 1 spot. Or there's nothing to fight for. People want to look up to someone and be like "I want to be like xxx, The best in the world"...If Mayweather lost there would be no number 1 fighter, since Mayweather is levels above everyone else, him losing right now would actually just be bad for the sport I think, since there'd be no "Face of boxing".... Yes other greats have lost and been fine, but Mayweather is a great in his own right creating his own legacy, unless he retires undefeated he won't be appreciated as much when people look back on his career.

I do think this fight will still be amazing and entertaining, what would be GOOD for boxing, is Mayweather having another Gatti type performance, alot of a good replays and a stoppage. Him showing he could still do it, like when he came back against Guerrero i was mesmerized, After Mayweather came back and dominated Guerrero boxing was good because the best was back, and then on top of that we got Mayweather vs Canelo.

Think for a second, the last 4 fights we're possibly getting out of Mayweather's career: Mayweather/Maidana (Thank you Broner), Mayweather/Lara?!?! Mayweather/cotto2 or Mayweather/Martinez, Mayweather/Garcia, and still to close out the finale Mayweather/Pacquiao.......... I could be reaching, but hey I wanna be able to tune into these fights.

Because YOU KNOW if Mayweather loses, then the fights wont be the same to watch...Mayweather being undefeated adds so much suspense... Like that Mosely fight, i was speechless and actually shaking when i saw that second round. lol dont judge me.

All Mayweather has is boxing, LET THAT MAN COOK!

This post has been edited by Jovi: Apr 15 2014, 10:00 AM

+Quote Post
DigitalBoom
post Apr 16 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #13

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,960

QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 15 2014, 09:59 AM) *
Jack, HOW DARE YOU!! lol... How disrespect of y'all (digital & Jack). If there was an actual legit championship crown. Mayweather would have been holding it for the last 17 years! (might even be 18 now) While every said name that people choose to beat Mayweather- Martinez, Pac, etc etc. We're taking losses.

In any sport, there has to be number 1 spot. Or there's nothing to fight for. People want to look up to someone and be like "I want to be like xxx, The best in the world"...If Mayweather lost there would be no number 1 fighter, since Mayweather is levels above everyone else, him losing right now would actually just be bad for the sport I think, since there'd be no "Face of boxing".... Yes other greats have lost and been fine, but Mayweather is a great in his own right creating his own legacy, unless he retires undefeated he won't be appreciated as much when people look back on his career.

I do think this fight will still be amazing and entertaining, what would be GOOD for boxing, is Mayweather having another Gatti type performance, alot of a good replays and a stoppage. Him showing he could still do it, like when he came back against Guerrero i was mesmerized, After Mayweather came back and dominated Guerrero boxing was good because the best was back, and then on top of that we got Mayweather vs Canelo.

Think for a second, the last 4 fights we're possibly getting out of Mayweather's career: Mayweather/Maidana (Thank you Broner), Mayweather/Lara?!?! Mayweather/cotto2 or Mayweather/Martinez, Mayweather/Garcia, and still to close out the finale Mayweather/Pacquiao.......... I could be reaching, but hey I wanna be able to tune into these fights.

Because YOU KNOW if Mayweather loses, then the fights wont be the same to watch...Mayweather being undefeated adds so much suspense... Like that Mosely fight, i was speechless and actually shaking when i saw that second round. lol dont judge me.

All Mayweather has is boxing, LET THAT MAN COOK!

You act like Floyd can fight until the end of time bro...like it or not the day is coming either via loss or because the body and mind can't handle the sport anymore. It's the reality of boxing, as much as we enjoy Floyd, manny, hopkins, etc these guys are closer to the end than many are willing to accept.I'd love to see a transitional period into the next generation of boxing and I would love nothing more than to the see the power structure that has been hurting the sport the last seven years come to an end. It would be sort of a beautiful justice to see another promoter with the #1, #2, #3 fighter in the sport just to see how the two companies that have monopolized the game handle it. I just had a discussion about how the top promoters seem to have given up on grooming talent overall. I don't dislike Floyd nor Manny, I just think they've had the game by the balls a hell of a long time. There is a laundry list of names that have hounded the 140 and 147 division who never got their shot because they don't have the name for ppv buys as an opponent. I'd love to see that end as well. Bring it back to match ups not the sole focus on revenue. I've been blessed to have seen both these guys in their prime, at the half way point and now near the end but i'm really ready for something new in boxing. Sorry but that's just my opinion. These guys have cemented legacy, nothing that happens to them now is going to change that or their level of greatness. All those in the 35 plus club had their time and their run, let's get more focus on some guys who'll give us the next 7-10 years of elite boxing. Again just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Apr 16 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #14

Super Bantamweight

I rock with you digital

But Mayweather losing isn't the only way to pass the torch on to the next generation. Him being a promoter now, he can pass it down in that way too, by helping up and coming fighters and helping them make a name for himself. Granted none of them are at that level but there's always that diamond in the rough.

Plus Mayweather as a fighter and person, seems very cautious about what he is doing, very careful and strategic with his every move. He wouldn't be fighting if HE KNEW he wouldn't win. He always took care of his body because he was aware of the rewards that came with discipline, headnod to Bernard hopkins too. Mayweather seems very intentional on retiring before he can't preform anymore, he's said it many times. Does that mean he'll never lose? No, this is boxing and anything can happen; but it means if someone were to beat him would be because that person was just better than him, not because he was too old, thats the worst way to lose and the worst way to win against someone.

There's alot of fresh newcomers, ALOTTTT. But it takes time to get to that Elite level, even for Floyd, and he STILLLLL goes through adversity. There has to be order, the next Master will pop up soon. Gotta let these things come in the right way.

Time will tell, but Maidana taking out Mayweather just don't sound right. Especially after Maidana has been handled before, so he isn't this unstoppable machine that looks like in the Broner highlights lol.....But Maidana getting schooled by Mayweather after Maidana beats Broner sounds like a more realistic future; Maidana beating Broner is only gonna make Mayweather look better after this fight so he shows that you can't just imitate what he does, and that its not all about Youth.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Apr 16 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #15

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

U act like Floyd can fight until the end of time bro...like it or not the day is coming either via loss or because the body and mind can't handle the sport anymore. It's the reality of boxing, as much as we enjoy Floyd, Manny, Hopkins, etc. These guys are closer to the end than many are willing to accept. I'd love to see a transitional period into the next generation of boxing, and I would love nothing more than to the see the power structure that has been hurting the sport the last seven years come to an end. It would be sort of a beautiful justice to see another promoter with the #1, #2, #3 fighter in the sport just to see how the two companies that have monopolized the game handle it.

Love this assessment! Thank you, Digital Boom!

Jack

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Apr 16 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #16

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Apr 16 2014, 02:09 PM) *
You act like Floyd can fight until the end of time bro...like it or not the day is coming either via loss or because the body and mind can't handle the sport anymore. It's the reality of boxing, as much as we enjoy Floyd, manny, hopkins, etc these guys are closer to the end than many are willing to accept.I'd love to see a transitional period into the next generation of boxing and I would love nothing more than to the see the power structure that has been hurting the sport the last seven years come to an end. It would be sort of a beautiful justice to see another promoter with the #1, #2, #3 fighter in the sport just to see how the two companies that have monopolized the game handle it. I just had a discussion about how the top promoters seem to have given up on grooming talent overall. I don't dislike Floyd nor Manny, I just think they've had the game by the balls a hell of a long time. There is a laundry list of names that have hounded the 140 and 147 division who never got their shot because they don't have the name for ppv buys as an opponent. I'd love to see that end as well. Bring it back to match ups not the sole focus on revenue. I've been blessed to have seen both these guys in their prime, at the half way point and now near the end but i'm really ready for something new in boxing. Sorry but that's just my opinion. These guys have cemented legacy, nothing that happens to them now is going to change that or their level of greatness. All those in the 35 plus club had their time and their run, let's get more focus on some guys who'll give us the next 7-10 years of elite boxing. Again just my opinion.

i agree as well and i have said this in other threads. I love floyd but i am getting sick of him also. He has changed the game in many good ways, but i think hes taken the focus off of boxing and put money revenue and ppv buys as the focus. Hes had an amazing career but im ready to see it end and the torch passed. as soon as ali retired, look what boxing became, it let the light be shed onto leonard and the fab four, and opened the door for mike tyson. floyd is hogging alot of the light on the one side, and manny on the other.

however i would not like to see floyd lose to maidana, i wouldnt mind some drama though like the cotto or mosley fights. i wouldnt mind seeing floyd get clipped and hit the deck, only to bounce back up and put on a clinic. if i were to see mayweather lose, i would ant it to be to pacquiao, because that is the only guy ho i could accept defeating him. hes really the only one deserving of that crown, based on what both have accomplished.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Apr 16 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #17

Super Bantamweight

Guys, Mayweather is Retiring after the contract. Regardless of whether he loses or not he will be done with boxing after September 2015.......Unless by some chance he waited till after the showtime contract for the Manny fight and have it overseas or something......But if that doesn't happen then after 2015 its the next Generation.

We already have people taking over now, Canelo, Lara, Maidana now, Angulo, Bradley, JCC jr, GGG, Rios, Cotto will still be around for alil...These are just ppv fighters I didn't mention Marquez, Pacquiao or MArtinez because they're one their way out too with Mayweather.

Their's a system to everything, think about it.... for example let me take a Charlo brother, they have all the goods but they aren't popular. What are you gonna do, just throw them on a random PPV against canelo right away? NOOOOO, the career still has to build. Now lets say Charlo would vs Angulo and manage an impressive win, THEN vs Canelo. It would be be a much better build up. These guys that are taking the torch next are BUILDING up.

If Mayweather fights Garcia, that would get him much more popular and have him get his ppv's then, Then from there we could get a Garcia vs Thurman ppv....Too many possibilities, I think everything is coming along perfectly.

You can't get mad at how Mayweather has chose to manage his career, if he was worried about the Match up more than the revenue or however people wannaa define it, he wouldn't be the highest paid athlete for a few years running. He's really got boxing on top, its not just because of boxing but he really capitolized on his publicity and now he's close to being a billionaire.....OFF BOXING!...If he wasn't about the revenue he'd be just like Andre Ward, or Bernard hopkins. Fighting on free fight cards, Not getting paid close to as much as you can be since youre the best......Just gotta put yourself in their shoes, how lucrative would you want your career to be, Do you wanna fight just to punch each other in the face, or do you wanna capitalize and achieve everything you've ever wanted to by means of your own hands.

Mayweather took the DLH route, as in every fight with a worthy name is PPV now, this was going on way before Mayweather and PAcquiao, those are the the 2 of this Generation, and when they fight and retire it will end this ERA and the next gen takes over. the Torch will Pass when the 2 giants retire.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2014, 10:58 AM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (DigitalBoom @ Apr 16 2014, 02:09 PM) *

Totally agree with the bold, and as far as the rest of your post, we share some of the same sentiments. Some of these should have gotten more attention when they were at the lower weights, but if I remember correctly, they did...to a degree. Most of them either lost to a B-level fighter, or they just failed to impress when the competition heated up.

The 140 era (from 2009-2011) with guys like Khan, Bradley, Alexander, Ortiz, Guerrero, Maidana, Peterson, etc, could've been handled a little better. But now that I think about it, most of these guys fought each other.

Truthfully, I'm trying to make a point here, but it's just not working. I mean, most of these guys fought each other, but some of these matchups couhld've been made, and they weren't. Something, which I can't out my finger on at the moment, went wrong.

It seems as though they were being built up to be big stars, but when they had that defining fight, it propelled them into a BIG fight, but as soon as the first bell rang in those big fights, they weren't as impressive as they were built up to be...IF they even made it that big fight.

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Apr 17 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #19

Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,090

tbh it's gonna be a blessing (somewhat) when floyd goes into retirement. i agree with others that the overall concept of the sport has been diluted, and many of the fans are tuning in for the wrong reasons (i.e. to see a fluke upset against one of boxing's greatest fighters). not to say that this is our intention or reason to discuss the topic, but in general, the majority of fans don't respect the class and skill it takes to be an elite boxer.

i get pumped to watch floyd fight (no matter who he fights) because i feel it's a rarity when we see such a high level of boxing even when it's against a lesser opponent. to me, that's exciting, but i can also see how some people feel it's not enough especially when they're shelling out $70 a pop. STILL, no one should justify buying and watching a fight just because they want to see one of the sport's top villains taken down because: a) when it doesn't happen, it dampens the chances that they'll tune in again and they'll lose more respect for the sport, and b, if it does happen, they'll discredit the better boxer for the skill he actually possesses

agree with others that when floyd finally hangs them up, i feel like some of the haters will calm down, and we'll get a better chance to hone in and focus on the up-and-comers and other GREAT fighters who have been neglected over the past several years

This post has been edited by ryustuh: Apr 17 2014, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Apr 17 2014, 12:33 PM) *
tbh it's gonna be a blessing (somewhat) when floyd goes into retirement. i agree with others that the overall concept of the sport has been diluted, and many of the fans are tuning in for the wrong reasons (i.e. to see a fluke upset against one of boxing's greatest fighters). not to say that this is our intention or reason to discuss the topic, but in general, the majority of fans don't respect the class and skill it takes to be an elite boxer.

i get pumped to watch floyd fight (no matter who he fights) because i feel it's a rarity when we see such a high level of boxing even when it's against a lesser opponent. to me, that's exciting, but i can also see how some people feel it's not enough especially when they're shelling out $70 a pop. STILL, no one should justify buying and watching a fight just because they want to see one of the sport's top villains taken down because: a) when it doesn't happen, it dampens the chances that they'll tune in again and they'll lose more respect for the sport, and b, if it does happen, they'll discredit the better boxer for the skill he actually possesses

agree with others that when floyd finally hangs them up, i feel like some of the haters will calm down, and we'll get a better chance to hone in and focus on the up-and-comers and other GREAT fighters who have been neglected over the past several years

I agree, and please forgive me for any "duh fool" moments after this, because truthfully I didn't read the rest of your post...just wanted to make a point off of the bold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (what an asshole, huh?)

Anyway, I've been saying the same thing for a while, which is why I agreed with DigitalBoom as well. The rest of the fighters out here, will have a chance to shine and become a cash cow, however, up and coming fighters must TAKE that cash cow title from the cash cow...like Manny did with Oscar (fight wise), and how Floyd did with Oscar (as far as taking advantage of the exposure and building a brand. Besides...the "world is still waiting" on Floyd to knock Oscar out. Lol

I said all of that to say...what if Floyd retires undefeated, then what? How has the cash cow spot been TAKEN, if nobody's beaten him? That's the weird part. So basically, Floyd can come out of retirement whenever he wants to. Even if he loses on May 3rd, a rematch takes place, then he'd have two fights left...at that point, it raises the competition level for guys who are trying to "win" their way into a fight with him.

As DigitalBoom mentioned, Floyd, Manny, Hopkins, etc., wont be truly effected by a loss at this point of their careers, though Floyd's first loss will be a HUGE deal. If we saw all of those memes of Manny after getting knocked by JMM, then I'm sure Floyd losing will be 10 times a big deal, especially if he gets knocked out.

However, I feel (and foresee) guys trying to downplay Floyd's future loss (if he loses). At this very moment, we hear how great he is and so on, but the second he loses, I'm sure that the winner wont get any credit...sad to say, but I see it happening.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:48 AM