Everyone is ducking GGG
Mayweather is ducking Pac
Broner is ducking Khan, Garcia and Thurman
Juan Manuel is ducking the guy that he put to sleep
Ward is ducking Chavez Jr.
Mikey Garcia is ducking Gamboa
Leo Santa Cruz is ducking Rigondeux
Freddie Roach is ducking the truth (that was a joke),

The point is, fans through the word "duck" around a little too easily. In your terms what is a legit duck and name some ducks that actually has taken place in the sport. One that comes to mind when Tyson was first offered Evander he said no at least that is what I have read. Lewis ducking Kilts in a rematch and Shane Mosley's tooth ache when asked about Mayweather.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 21 2014, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

A duck to me is that when a guy clearly had he chance to make the fight, and didn't at all for whatever excuse, I mean some shit is preposterous but outta that list the only one I can agree with is the first one. The rest I can understand:

Mayweather: Theres so many excuses from both sides we both know where this leads
GGG: Nah
Broner: Needs a soft touch, and even if not that he just shouldn't be at 147lb, at the same time Garcia will be leaving 140lb by the time Broner gets a title shot
JMM: Nah, but he did duck the shit outta Prod, I mean come on, take on the winner of the fight between Alvarado and Prod
Ward: Chavez jr isn't even in the same league as Ward
Garcia: Doubt he'd be ducking a chinny Gamboa who hasn't fought elite opposition in a while
Leo Santa Cruz: Cold war

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 21 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 21 2014, 04:15 PM) *
A duck to me is that when a guy clearly had he chance to make the fight, and didn't at all for whatever excuse, I mean some shit is preposterous but outta that list the only one I can agree with is the first one. The rest I can understand:

Mayweather: Theres so many excuses from both sides we both know where this leads
GGG: Nah
Broner: Needs a soft touch, and even if not that he just shouldn't be at 147lb, at the same time Garcia will be leaving 140lb by the time Broner gets a title shot
JMM: Nah, but he did duck the shit outta Prod, I mean come on, take on the winner of the fight between Alvarado and Prod
Ward: Chavez jr isn't even in the same league as Ward
Garcia: Doubt he'd be ducking a chinny Gamboa who hasn't fought elite opposition in a while
Leo Santa Cruz: Cold war

I was just listing examples of what fans were saying are ducks. I honestly can't think of a clear duck. I don't think fighters are afraid of each other.

+Quote Post
KSUN247
post Apr 21 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Flyweight

Member No.: 14,011

Those are some good ones. I think Robert Guerrero ducked Keith Thurman fight when he was offered the fight. Adrien Broner and Guerrero, but that may have just been trash talking to each other. Broner skipped out on the whole 140 lbs weight class to jump to 147 lbs for the fight against Paulie Malinaggi. Now's he probably where he should be at 140 lbs.

Riddick Bowe vs Lennox Lewis (threw the belt in the trash,instead of fighting)
JuanMa Lopez vs Yuriorkis Gamboa (promotion issues, maybe?)
Andre Dirrell vs Andre Ward (friendship questions)
Dariusz Michalczewski vs Roy Jones Jr
Calzaghe vs RJJ in their prime (they fought, but it should have happened a lot sooner)

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Apr 21 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

First off, thank you Dolimite for saving me trouble of creating my own topic revolving around what I define as "ducking" and off that notion, let's talk about the legend, or should I say "The Alien" Bernard Hopkins ducking Andre Ward. That defines ducking to me, to dance around the real threat at middleweight to chase either Floyd Mayweather (who he again entertained the notion of fighting) or Adonis Stevenson which I have no problem with except, if Stevenson is one of those being tabbed as a fighter who is some-what a threat to Ward, then why so quick to challenge him or Mayweather over S.O.G.?

B Hop basically seen it all, done it all but let's just call a square a square and a duck...well, in fighting terms you know where I'm getting at here lol.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 21 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Apr 21 2014, 04:45 PM) *
First off, thank you Dolimite for saving me trouble of creating my own topic revolving around what I define as "ducking" and off that notion, let's talk about the legend, or should I say "The Alien" Bernard Hopkins ducking Andre Ward. That defines ducking to me, to dance around the real threat at middleweight to chase either Floyd Mayweather (who he again entertained the notion of fighting) or Adonis Stevenson which I have no problem with except, if Stevenson is one of those being tabbed as a fighter who is some-what a threat to Ward, then why so quick to challenge him or Mayweather over S.O.G.?

B Hop basically seen it all, done it all but let's just call a square a square and a duck...well, in fighting terms you know where I'm getting at here lol.

Props to Gambito on Hopkins! He made a duck move but I don't know. Ward would tax that ass.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 21 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I don't believe in calling fighters duckers....it usually comes from couch potatoes, I have to laugh when I hear it. The word gets thrown around too freely nowadays. Ray Leonard ducked Pryor, Tyson ducked Foreman, Mayweather ducks TR fighters. For every reason you can call something a duck I can give 10 more to why your full of shit

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Apr 21 2014, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 21 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

When a contract has been signed and the other fighter doesn't show up especially when there is no legit reason (i.e. injury or whatever). That's when it is a bonafide legit duck.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Apr 21 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 21 2014, 08:32 PM) *
I don't believe in calling fighters duckers....it usually comes from couch potatoes, I have to laugh when I hear it. The word gets thrown around too freely nowadays. Ray Leonard ducked Pryor, Tyson ducked Foreman, Mayweather ducks TR fighters. For every reason you can call something a duck I can give 10 more to why your full of shit

So Chi, the phrase "ducking" which in my opinion is another way of saying "avoid", is a term that you feel shouldn't apply to anyone who laces em up, yet the fighters/trainers/managers who created the term in combat profession use it so it got to count for something, don't it?

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 21 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Apr 21 2014, 08:12 PM) *
So Chi, the phrase "ducking" which in my opinion is another way of saying "avoid", is a term that you feel shouldn't apply to anyone who laces em up, yet the fighters/trainers/managers who created the term in combat profession use it so it got to count for something, don't it?

Who uses the term frequently though? People who don't lace em up? The latest case is Stevenson not wanting to fight Kovalev.mso because a guy looks out for his future and his pockets he's a ducker? While everyone seems to avoid the fact that HBO came through with a shitty offer for the fight. But Adonis is avoiding Sergey lol.

Those same fighters, trainers etc etc you mention don't even use that term like that, most fans who butt hurt about not getting something they want use that word, it's a small percentage of those you say made that term up that's use that term. The overwhelming majority of those who use it are people who don't lace up gloves and that I don't respect. Ray Leonard fought Hagler right? Then the excuse was he ducked Marvin until his heart wasn't in boxing lol. The term is used as a crutch more then anything. I don't believe in the term ducking and those who throw it around need to reevaluate the way in which they use it

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 03:48 PM