Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone into Home Theater, big screen TVs etc?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Fitz
Hey, Brutal or Method (or whoever else knows there stuff). Got a 46" Series 6 Samsung LCD earlier in the year, and still don't have any speakers for them. The sound is even worse, because they are at the back of the TV.
Anyways, I'm thinking about getting surround 5.1. I also have a Samsung blu ray player that I got with a promotion with the TV, and I also have another DVD recorder that I use to record my stuff. That's all I run, if I need the VHS to watch something or transfer stuff to DVD I pull it out, but that's basically all I have.
I don't really want 7.1 as I'm not hugely into surround like you guys, just want a better sound.
But my main concern was that I wanted to know if I can run all my speakers and do everything from my dvd recorder or my blu ray player? I only want to do this, because the tv stand only has a compartment for 2 of my units and they are being used by (dvd recorder and cable tv in one and blu ray player in the other). It's just that if I use an amp, I have no where logically to put it and it will look like garbage and out of place. But I asked a guy at the store, but he said they aren't made for it and the component will end up dying, and that I should use an amp. I wasn't sure if he was just telling me this to make a sale or being honest, but what do you guys suggest? If an amp is essential, I suppose I will have to try find a way, but it's just really inconvenient.
What are good brands to look for and to avoid?
The CEO
I'm glad you bumped this, Fitz, because I'm doing the Home Theater thing in January or February.....my knowledge on Audio is very limited, but I haven't heard anything about needing an amp on quality brands....but then again...I'm only aiming for solid sound....nothing extravagant....

I think I'm gonna go with a $500 Onkyo receiver and $1000 Klipsch speakers...5.1....anyway....I would appreciate some insight too.....
Method
Bot you guys should go check out the forums at audioholics.com

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/

I post there whenever I have A/V questions, and peruse the boards often to find out the leading shit in the respective areas of interest.

Of the top iof my head, Fitz, I'd say you would need a receiver to run 5.1, and the receiver will process your content and distribute the content accordingly. A standalone DVD or Blu Ray likely WON't have the connectability, and DEF wont have the capability to process and output to a 5.1 system.

I would recommend looking at Yamaha or Denon for a receiver, and maybe Harmon Kardon.
BGv2.0
I agree with MikeTyson...100%!

You will NEVER beat a projector set up. I have a Toshiba model with a large 90in. pull down screen.

I have never seen high end televisions HD/Plasma etc. that can TOTALLY remove pixilation....you know that annoying little fuzz you see around anything with movement.

Whenever a scene is very still....they look fine....but try watching football or boxing on them and then you see it.

Projectors totally remove this aspect.

And when you compare the price on some of these televisions.....even though it's expensive...a projector set up can actully cost less.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 16 2008, 05:17 AM) [snapback]416800[/snapback]
Hey, Brutal or Method (or whoever else knows there stuff). Got a 46" Series 6 Samsung LCD earlier in the year, and still don't have any speakers for them. The sound is even worse, because they are at the back of the TV.
Anyways, I'm thinking about getting surround 5.1. I also have a Samsung blu ray player that I got with a promotion with the TV, and I also have another DVD recorder that I use to record my stuff. That's all I run, if I need the VHS to watch something or transfer stuff to DVD I pull it out, but that's basically all I have.
I don't really want 7.1 as I'm not hugely into surround like you guys, just want a better sound.
But my main concern was that I wanted to know if I can run all my speakers and do everything from my dvd recorder or my blu ray player? I only want to do this, because the tv stand only has a compartment for 2 of my units and they are being used by (dvd recorder and cable tv in one and blu ray player in the other). It's just that if I use an amp, I have no where logically to put it and it will look like garbage and out of place. But I asked a guy at the store, but he said they aren't made for it and the component will end up dying, and that I should use an amp. I wasn't sure if he was just telling me this to make a sale or being honest, but what do you guys suggest? If an amp is essential, I suppose I will have to try find a way, but it's just really inconvenient.
What are good brands to look for and to avoid?

I am decently knowledgeable on this stuff. Method said about audioholics.com, which I go to sometimes, but me personally I go to avsforums.com everyday. I can find out pretty much anything you need to know about A/V stuff. I have been going there for so many years. Either one you can not go wrong, it is very important to do some research, DO NOT just listen to what some kid from Best Buy or C.C says. It is absolutely mind boggling to hear the knowledge these people talk, I have learned so much there. Anyway, for your info, I have a couple of questions for you.

What is about your total budget for everything? Do you know what HTIB is? And would you consider this option? Do you have or want a subwoofer? How big is your room, and how much better to you want your sound? Are you going to purchase from retailer or online? I know place to get some decent speakers cheaper online, I am actually about to purchase some for my living room for our new tv.

Feel free to ask anything at all and I will help you or anyone to the best of my ability. I could give you a couple of options on which route to take.

ALSO, NEVER BUY OVERPRICED CABLES FROM BB OR CC!!!! They rip you the hell off, I buy all my cables from monoprice.com. WAY CHEAPER!!! And there selection and quality is excellent.
Lil-lightsout
Here are a couple of picture when I was building my subs for my theater room.

Wood all cut up, MDF makes a real mess.

One box almost done, it is a ported sub design.

Pic of my nephew and my two boys.

Another one.

All painted.

First placed under the stage.

Then in back corner, they sound and feel insane!!!

Method
Nice work, bro. Is that for your home?

Also, projectors are NOT better than high dollar plasma.

And fyi, cuz I KNOW you're going to ask, HTIB stands for Home "Theater In a Box". It's basically an all in one set up. If cash and space are an issue, it may be a better way to go for you, although I would recommend getting sperates (seperate units) and taking your time to put together something nice.

The MOST important thing to spend your money on is speakers. Period. End of story.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 16 2008, 02:51 PM) [snapback]416848[/snapback]
Nice work, bro. Is that for your home?

Also, projectors are NOT better than high dollar plasma.

And fyi, cuz I KNOW you're going to ask, HTIB stands for Home "Theater In a Box". It's basically an all in one set up. If cash and space are an issue, it may be a better way to go for you, although I would recommend getting sperates (seperate units) and taking your time to put together something nice.

The MOST important thing to spend your money on is speakers. Period. End of story.

I posted some pictures of my theater room in the Toney-Oquendo thread, I will post some here in the proper place if anyone wants to see.

I have a theater room 21'x31' that I converted from a garage next to my house, the other half of my garage is my little gym.

HTIB is not a bad way to go on a budget, and the sound is going to be way better than a tv sound. But it is basically the bottom of the barrell with the speakers and components. But everyone has different budgets and needs.

You are right about speakers, BUT even the best speakers without the proper clean power would not sound there best. Right now I am only running a lower-midrange reciever to power my efficient Klipsch speakers, they sound good, but I am waiting the release of an Emotiva Pre-Pro and then to pair it with Emotiva amp. Then I can only imagine what I am going to hear.
Lil-lightsout
Here a couple pics of my theater room.

Method
Nice dude. My speakers would tear ass in that room.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 16 2008, 03:56 PM) [snapback]416858[/snapback]
Nice dude. My speakers would tear ass in that room.

Thanks man. Do not tease me, what kind speakers and set up you have? Any pictures?
Method
I dont have any pics as of this writing, although I guess I could take some.

My set up is listed earlier in this thread.

Running Focal Electra floor standers with a Focal electra center, and electra sub.

Pioneer Elite Pro 60" Plasma.

Yamaha RX2600 Receiver.

I live in a condo on the beach, so don't have the kinda room to dedicate like you do, which is great on your part.
STEVENSKI
My setup is as follows

34cm mono fishbowl TV minus the remote hooked up to a AWA DVD player I got for $20 connected with the cheapest AV cable on the planet.

I think my setup is great for watching movies & it cost me a months salary to put my baby together. You can keep your theatre rooms & fancy stuff mine has soul.
Fitz
Hey Method, Brutal or anybody that are really into TV's. Just need some advice. Well I know a bit about TV's, all the basic type of stuff. But would like a second opinion.
I have a friend that works at a store and gives me good deals on TV's. I just put money down on a 40" Sony Bravia LCD. It's the 'Z' series with 200Hz motion. I put money down on it a few weeks back, got a really good price and my mate told me to just give him one weeks notice when I will pick it up so he can make sure they have one in stock. I messaged him today to tell him I will probably pick it up later this week and he told me that they don't have one in stock at the moment and can order one which takes a few days, or my other option is that he said the prices on the Samsung 200hz TV's just dropped and they have those in stock and he could probably give it to me a little cheaper than the bravia. We have a 46" Samsung in the main room and have loved it, haven't had a problem with it what so ever. I know bravia's are a bit more pricey, and some say they are a little better than Samsung's but for the price difference I hear that the Sony's aren't that much better than the Samsung's and the Samsung's are probably the best for bang for buck (not that Samsungs are cheap or anything, just a little cheaper than Sony).
Thoughts?
Method
If you're going Samsung, I would look into that new LED technology. Samsung makes an LED 8000 model, which is their top of the line model, and you could get it at a pretty competitive price. If I was getting a new TV that was NOT Plasma, THAT is what I would be looking into.

Otherwise, i would try and get yourself one of those 50" Pioneer Elite Kuros. They're shipping again in Sept, and you can get a SICK deal on the best TV out there on the mkt.

Just picked up a new JL Audio Fathom F113 sub....$4K later...

Fitz
Yeah I seen the new LED's in store. Look very nice but a little pricey. But in terms of actual picture quality, I didn't think it was better than LCD's. I thought you were mainly paying for the power consumption which is much lower than LCD's and plasma's I believe and the slim line of the TV. Could be wrong though.
Method
I'd get the Pioneer Elite Kuros Plasma if I were you then.
Fitz
I always been told to get plasma's and I would if I didn't play games but because I do, that is basically the only reason I don't look at plasma's as an option.
Method
I game all the time and I got one. Burn in is a thing of the past.
Douchebag
I have a 47 inch lcd at zhe cribo, and I want to get the good sound system to complete my cypher (bringing back to 93 with that one, lol) any way i have about 1200 to play with and i was thinking about getting these speakers. I already have a Panasonic receiver that I bought off a buddy of mine who is really in to this sound stuff for $100. As you guys can tell I know very little about this stuff and to be honest, I don't have the time to research it and bargain hunt for the most bang for the buck. I just want respectable system that isn't too bulky. Suggestions are welcomed.
Method
Conscience, go to Audioholics.com. They do a lot of reviewing and advertising for those speakers and a ton of other equipment too. The boards are pretty sick for getting ideas and feedback as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.