Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terry Norris vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Classic Boxing
kidbazooka1
Floyd most likely takes this but if Norris lands clean he can stop him.
Fuse
Norris would be too big and WAAAY too strong for him. You add those with Norris' speed, movement and versatility and Norris might actually stop him Floyd tries to throw some punches instead of running the whole time (either way he loses). If a "WELL past his prime" DLH can make a competitive fight against Floyd, Norris wins convincingly!

(Did you guys even see a prime Norris?)
kidbazooka1
Yes Norris is the stronger fighter but will he able to land clean agianst Floyd if so I think he'll stop him but like I said the problem is landing the shots clean.
Fuse
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 19 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]354553[/snapback]
Yes Norris is the stronger fighter but will he able to land clean agianst Floyd if so I think he'll stop him but like I said the problem is landing the shots clean.

But Norris wasn't a slugger/brawler. He could punch with one-punch KO power, but he had VERY underrated boxing skills! He had great movement, he had a great defense, he went to the body well, he went to the head well, and he had great ring generalship. He would stalk Floyd and walk through his punches. The FIRST time Norris lands (which would be early in the first round), Floyd would go into survival mode, run the whole time and do everything he could to keep Norris 5 feet from him! I can't think of a single thing that Oscar can do (even the late 20s version) that could even sniff what Norris could do. Norris did EVERYTHING better than the mechanical DLH! If DLH could land, there's no way in hell Norris would lose this!

If we're talking pound 4 pound, I'd take PBF at his best over Norris at his best, but at 154, Norris would SMOKE him!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fuse @ Aug 19 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]354513[/snapback]
Norris would be too big and WAAAY too strong for him. You add those with Norris' speed, movement and versatility and Norris might actually stop him Floyd tries to throw some punches instead of running the whole time (either way he loses). If a "WELL past his prime" DLH can make a competitive fight against Floyd, Norris wins convincingly!

(Did you guys even see a prime Norris?)

No they didn't.

Norris would knock Mayweathers head off. He was a great combo of speed and power. The Norris that ended Ray Leonard's career would KO Mayweather for all the reasons that Fuse stated above. This is actually a funny thread... better yet, see prime Norris against a prime Meldrick taylor and you have the ingredients for Mayweather/Norris.
Fuse
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Sep 11 2007, 05:36 AM) [snapback]357004[/snapback]
No they didn't.

At first I thought this thread was a joke and that those first couple of posters were just kidding. But now I think they were serious. It's a shame what these guys are missing by not seeing someone like Norris fight in his prime!
BigG
Norris was a bad bad man. I really enjoyed watching him destory Sugar Ray. And Meldrick Taylor too......brutal.

But Floyd was probably better then anyone Terry ever fought. So it would be a very good fight.
Fuse
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 12 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]357122[/snapback]
But Floyd was probably better then anyone Terry ever fought. So it would be a very good fight.

Doubtful. Taylor would've taken Mayweather the distance and Norris stopped him in 4. And Leonard still had enough left in him to win a few rounds (if not a close fight) against Floyd at 154. Who has Floyd fought that would leave you to believe that he would stand a chance against Norris? Don't kid yourself into thinking that an old DLH is somehow similar to Norris at his best.
BrutalBodyShots
Norris' speed alone (despite his many other excellent attributes) would have given Mayweather a tough fight.

jlupi
norris wins. Power can stop norris but floyd is lacking there. Ide take floyd P4P but terry is all wrong for him
Nobudius
Norris feasted on guys moving up, or were beginning to slip. PBF falls into the category.

Norris knocks him down, but has that "Terrible" mental slip, & hits Mayweather while he is down, & gets disqualified.

PBF wins.
Maxy
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Oct 12 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]360967[/snapback]
Norris feasted on guys moving up, or were beginning to slip. PBF falls into the category.

Norris knocks him down, but has that "Terrible" mental slip, & hits Mayweather while he is down, & gets disqualified.

PBF wins.

HaHa...come on, thats a cop out.

At 154 Norris beats Mayweather. Probably stops him too.
Nobudius
QUOTE(Maxy @ Oct 12 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]360977[/snapback]
HaHa...come on, thats a cop out.

At 154 Norris beats Mayweather. Probably stops him too.

A cop out ....that you can see happening though, right?

Norris really had that tendency to hit guys that were down.
Maxy
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Oct 12 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]360982[/snapback]
A cop out ....that you can see happening though, right?

Norris really had that tendency to hit guys that were down.

Yeah I couldn't rule such a scenario out but put that to one side and Norris beats Mayweather at 154. Do you not agree?
Nobudius
QUOTE(Maxy @ Oct 12 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]360983[/snapback]
Yeah I couldn't rule such a scenario out but put that to one side and Norris beats Mayweather at 154. Do you not agree?

I think Norris beats him pretty easily. PBF hasn't impressed me since he went, up, up, & up-and I find his forays here to be highly overrated. He lacks power, is stationary, & has become a pot shotter with low activity. I think Norris own athleticism gives Floyd BIG problems, & he'd definitely be the busier fighter here. I don't think Norris can be hurt by Floyd-if Floyd COULD hurt him, it may get interesting. But then again, when was the last time Mayweather has gone for the kill?

I would still hope for the DQ ending though-imagine what the Mayweather's would do if Norris hit him late?
WolfishPromistah
I honestly think that Floyd could beat him. Floyd is way smarter than Meldrick Taylor (doesn't have to use all his offense for defense); he's much more well-rounded, knowing when to fight the ways necessary to just ensure a win, combining his offense "with his d." And that's all he'd need, not to overpower the dude. Oh, and Delahoya got the split "under Golden Boy," -- meaning home cookin' -- for his aggressiveness, in my opinion.

That fight should have been scored as one-sided in Floyd's favor all the way (Fellas, tune in for our next wtf moment here, as I ask you to consider -- Don't you have to 'effectively HIT' a guy for points, not just swing fast and touch his elbows, shoulders and gloves for the majority of time in a fight...before then saying, "Great fight!...Boy was I competitive in there!" (?)

Well...don't you?

Look. Floyd should've won that one unanimously, and I think quite a number of folks felt he was kinda sorta robbed big time. And I'm included. So please blow that peut in another direction 'cause the thought of it stinks enough over here. Thanks. [smile]
Fuse
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Nov 5 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]363841[/snapback]
I honestly think that Floyd could beat him. Floyd is way smarter than Meldrick Taylor (doesn't have to use all his offense for defense); he's much more well-rounded, knowing when to fight the ways necessary to just ensure a win, combining his offense "with his d." And that's all he'd need, not to overpower the dude.

I only read to here and I'm surprised that I made it this far. So, Mayweather wins because he's "way smarter" than a guy who didn't last 4 rounds with Norris? Norris is WAAAAY too fast, too mobile, and too strong for the much smaller Mayweather. Mayweather would be running all night just to not get stopped. No way does he try to box with Norris. Norris/Mayweather would look as one-sided as Chavez/Camacho with Mayweather running as soon as he found that he's not strong enough to keep Norris off of him and finding that Norris was MUCH stronger than himself.

Trying to convince yourself that DLH is anywhere near a comparison to Norris doesn't mean that DLH and Mayweather (together) could take Norris in a fight if they each alternated rounds against him.
WolfishPromistah
"I only read to here and I'm surprised that I made it this far. So, Mayweather wins because he's "way smarter" than a guy who didn't last 4 rounds with Norris?"

Have you missed something in boxing about ring smarts and how helpful they can be? Apparently. You cannot say that Floyd doensn't have them. Ya can't say he isn't able to move effectively all night long, and that he hasn't shown the ability to counter and win. You cannot say he hasn't made everyone pay for missing him throughout his career. His record shows that. Yep, I think Floyd is fast, as well as smart enough to fight a more disciplined fight than Taylor against Norris, making a win for him more likely than it was for Meldrick. Sure, he "may not" knock Norris out...but he could probably stand a better chance than Meldrick at beating him nonetheless, at 154. And this is probably provided Floyd did his move of coming in a little lighter, as done against Delahoya. I've just decided as much from what I've noted from all parties in the hypothetical matchup discussion. And if you choose to stress on your choice, no crime. I just, too, give mine. Again, I see Floyd Jr. having an easier time with Terry Norris at 154 or 147 than did Meldrick Taylor. Funniest thing about it, the lower you go, the better it is for Floyd. So you might want to be careful what you're hypothetically wishing for -- hehe.
Fuse
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Nov 12 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]365019[/snapback]
"I only read to here and I'm surprised that I made it this far. So, Mayweather wins because he's "way smarter" than a guy who didn't last 4 rounds with Norris?"

Have you missed something in boxing about ring smarts and how helpful they can be? Apparently. You cannot say that Floyd doensn't have them. Ya can't say he isn't able to move effectively all night long, and that he hasn't shown the ability to counter and win. You cannot say he hasn't made everyone pay for missing him throughout his career. His record shows that. Yep, I think Floyd is fast, as well as smart enough to fight a more disciplined fight than Taylor against Norris, making a win for him more likely than it was for Meldrick. Sure, he "may not" knock Norris out...but he could probably stand a better chance than Meldrick at beating him nonetheless, at 154. And this is probably provided Floyd did his move of coming in a little lighter, as done against Delahoya. I've just decided as much from what I've noted from all parties in the hypothetical matchup discussion. And if you choose to stress on your choice, no crime. I just, too, give mine. Again, I see Floyd Jr. having an easier time with Terry Norris at 154 or 147 than did Meldrick Taylor. Funniest thing about it, the lower you go, the better it is for Floyd. So you might want to be careful what you're hypothetically wishing for -- hehe.

Let me guess: you're somewhere in your late teens to mid 20s, right? You never really watched Norris in his prime, but you might have seen a fight or two of his late in his career and you're basing your analysis on that. Am I right here?

You say that Floyd has ring smarts and "the ability to counter and win". Who did he show this against? "WELL past his prime (in weight class and age)" DLH? Do you realize that DLH (especially the version that fought Floyd) couldn't carry Norris' spit bucket? You really think that Floyd would be able to pull off what he did to DLH against an elite 154er? You even say that Floyd is "smart enough to fight a more disciplined fight than Taylor against Norris". Do you realize how crazy that sounds? Taylor didn't last 4 rounds. But because Floyd is smarter than Taylor, he not only goes more that 4, he actually wins? What could you possibly be basing this on? Just so you know, DLH, Mosely, Vargas, Quartey, Whitaker, and anyone else who came along after Norris, wouldn't have been champ during Norris' era unless they won one of the more insignificant titles. I mean, why stop at Norris? Does he beat Hearns and Leonard too? Why not move up to 160 and use his speed to beat Hagler?

WolfishPromistah
"You say that Floyd has ring smarts and "the ability to counter and win". Who did he show this against?" How about...EVERYONE he's been in against, Delahoya included? You wanna "act like" he didn't, perhaps?

And actually, my feeling is Norris, against Hagler, would get crushed "like Hearns (Norris had hardest times with pressure, power punchers -- not to mention the accuracy and southpaw proficiency Marvin possessed, as the added bonus)," particularly with that tender chin that now again showed off for fight fans to see. Sure, I've seen Norris fight a few times, and just 'cause he wasn't my favorite doesn't mean he was then too the worst to me. But he didn't really impress me enough in his career to say he was sharper than Floyd Mayweather (observe -- Jr., that is -- there is a difference). Leonard, too, like Delahoya, was older when he fought Norris, so we didn't -- via your excuse for why Floyd was so good against Oscar -- see Norris take on THE best version. Moreover, just 'cause you say Delahoya wasn't as good as Norris, what exactly does that mean? Are we supposed to therefore conveniently forget who's accomplished more between the two? I know I won't. And I will remind you -- Oscar has.

Norris was good, but...HE WAS a bit "SLOPPIER THAN" Floyd Mayweather Jr. And this is just my observation of both of them, no knock necessarily on Terry. Sorry, but he left himself open in battle for crisp counters from someone who's as sharp and accurate as Mayweather. See, it's not JUST ABOUT your speed, and I'm afraid that, from what I see, Floyd's ability to keep himself in check under pressure is better than Terry's, & Meldrick's especially. He uses speed and technical skill with both inside and outside game extremely well. But as mentioned earlier, Meldrick was an offense to defense type of guy, when that's not what's needed to outsmart Terry -- not ougun him.

So, the only thing we're truly left with is your saying "well, who did he [Floyd] fight here, or who did he fight there?" But then, when exactly did Terry Norris himself fight Oscar Delahoya for you to lay the full bodied claim that he'd be soooooo terrible to the Golden Boy? Was Oscar his tenth KO loss -- the one that can be imagined is thus hidden in the amateurs? -- What? That's right, I didn't think so. Hey, I can't say I know for a fact (we won't), but I have observed enough of them (Terry, Meldrick and Floyd) for me to think the likelihood is not "that" far off, that Floyd would be a bit "more likely than Melrick" to beat... (yep) "Terrible" Terry Norris. Fair enough you think differently. It's all good.

Thanks.
Fuse
Okay, I'm pretty much through here. In the 80s, I had to deal with people trying to convince me that Ali wouldn't last more than a few rounds with Tyson. In the early 2000s, I had to deal with people trying to convince me that Ray Robinson would've been no match for Trinidad because Robinson never fought anyone like DLH, Reid, Vargas, Campas, Joppy, etc and that Robinson had lost 19 times and Trinidad was undefeated. And more recently, I come across clowns like you who try to convince me that Mayweather would take guys like Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Jones, and Norris because of how he performed against a guy as mechanical (and close to retirement) as DLH. You even take this stupidity to the next level by throwing in that Mayweather would take Norris because Mayweather was better than Taylor (which is similar to saying that Mayweather would take Leonard because Mayweather was better than "Davey Boy" Green, which we both know....er, I know that Mayweather isn't in Leonard's league at any weight). But go ahead and keep trying to tell yourself that DLH was an elite/all-time great/HOFer at 154 and those of us, who know the difference, will keep shaking our heads.
WolfishPromistah
Oh, I didn't think it was on either of us to "convince" the other. We simply see differences we each feel hold / don't hold more weight from our perspectives, comparatively, allowing us to come to possible conclusions. Sure, they are not the same, but I think they are respectable either way. Cool. But do me a favor...let me know if they do fight. LoL!
ghost13
I think Norris would stop Mayweather
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.