Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ponce De Leon V Bautista
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Don Flamenco
I think Boom-Boom is not as polished technically as Gerry Penalosa, who I had winning the fight against Ponce Deleon, but is a heavier banger.

I actually met Gerry Penalosa in San antonio during Pac-Solis fight. I took a picture of him from a good amount of length away and the guy beckoned for me to come take a picture of him up closer... so I walked by Bob Arum who I had been heckling all night during my shi* faced drunkeness. Gerry is one cool cat thumbsup_anim.gif

Boom-Boom hasn't fought anyone as good as DeLeon. This fight should be a good indicator of how far he is coming along.

Here's an update of how Boom-Boom's training is coming....

MEXICANS REFUSE TO SPAR AGAINST BAUTISTA, PEŅALOSA

By Salven L. Lagumbay
PhilBoxing.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Reports coming out of the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles indicate that renowned trainer Freddie Roach has been forced to import Russian sparmates for Rey 'Boom Boom' Bautista and Gerry Peņalosa as they prepare for their respective August 11 assignments in the two world title bouts at the 'World Cup' of boxing in Sacramento.

Bautista and the rest of the ALA Boy jogged yesterday on flat terrain at the La Brea area, while Peņalosa and Filipino Diosdado Gabi did their morning workout at a park near the apartment of superstar Manny Pacquiao.

Bautista will challenge WBO superbantam king Daniel Ponce De Leon, while Penalosa goes up against WBO bantam ruler Jhonny Gonzalez in what will most likely be his last fight.

The ALA Boys then took their egg and fruit breakfast prepared for them by trainers Edito Villamor and Jeremiah Quijano.

At the Wild Card Gym, Peņalosa sparred against Bautista for four rounds, before Bautista did another four rounds against a talented Russian fighter.

Peņalosa also did another four rounds against lightweight Ricky Quiles, while Gabi sparred with RP champ Michael Domingo.

"These boys used to spar with Mexicans, but apparently the Latinos are no longer interested. So Freddie has been left with no option but to bring in these Russians," said a source from Wild Card Gym.

The same source said Bautista and Peņalosa have been eating their usual diets, as they both weigh just about perfect. Bautista is now down to 128.5 lbs yesterday morning, while Peņalosa was at 126 lbs.

"I don't really see any weight problems among the boys," said another source, Team Pacquiao physical therapist Jeff De Guzman. "Maganda ang moisture ng pangangatawan at masaya ang tropa na parang nasa pilipinas lang sila," De Guzman added.

"The boys are also in high spirit because their manager Michael Aldeguer and Sam Gello-ani are always in touch with them," another source said.

http://philboxing.com/news/story-11739.html
torvix2000
I thought Boom and Penalosa are both training at Wild Cards. If so, then the two of them must have been sparring like hell.
NickBarker
Why would the Mexicans not spar with either fighter? It isn't because of the upcoming Mexico v. Philippines GBP World Cup, is it? That would seem a bit excessive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.