Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs Calzaghe RIGHT NOW...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PR316
I think its certainly a challenge. Calzaghe must be itching to get in the ring with this guy, though. Hopkins didn't look menacing at all in this fight. Not saying it would be a walk over, but I think Joe would beat him convincingly at this point.
PR316
Well this is all of course if Calzaghe beats Kessler(No certainty I know).

But yeah, this November is the IMO the best fight of the year.
BigG
Yeah....Calzaghe should focus on Kessler. Because Calzaghe has never been in with anyone close to Kesslers talent and skill.

Hopkins last 2 wins are better then Calzaghe's whole career.
PR316
^^^^Prime vs prime I agree Hopkins is better.

But I am speaking of a matchup between the two RIGHT NOW.
STEVENSKI
I am far from high on Cal. Who exactly has he fought in his career? He beat a few good washed up fighters & some overrated hype jobs but thats it.
PR316
^^^ Thats not what this topic is about, though.

Its about a head to head matchup between both guys at this time.
STEVENSKI
Having not seen his latest fight I am unsure about X, Then again his last three opponents are better & more meaningful than anything Cal has faced in his career so I really don't know.

If Cal fought him & won it would be more how much Hopkins has slipped rather than how good Joe is IMO.
PR316
^^^ Have to agree there.

Though I think a fast handed guy like Joe would always give even the best Hopkins fits. I do tend to think Hopkins in 2001-2002 would have pulled it out.

Right now, though, Hopkins would be in very deep I think.
24 A BRICK
Hopkins will probably hug & headbutt a win over Joe Cal.
rusty_trombone
Right now, based on their latest performances, and the stage that each are in their career, I think Joe wins pretty easily. I think his handspeed, and lateral movement are just too much for a 42 year old(probably 43 year old by the time they fight) Hopkins. Hopkins would have some serious problems cutting the ring off, and be getting tagged up.
NickBarker
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 22 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]350391[/snapback]
Right now, based on their latest performances, and the stage that each are in their career, I think Joe wins pretty easily. I think his handspeed, and lateral movement are just too much for a 42 year old(probably 43 year old by the time they fight) Hopkins. Hopkins would have some serious problems cutting the ring off, and be getting tagged up.

I agree completely. Hopkins looked better than Wright, but he certainly was not impressive enough to me that I'd take him over Calzaghe. I'll accept the style argument to a point, but it goes beyond that. I think age is starting to take it's toll on Hopkins: How can it not? Wright was the aggressor tonight, but he was hardly coming at Hopkins with the speed or workrate that Calzaghe would. Not only that, Wright had trouble with the weight, which wouldn't be nearly the issue in this hypothetical.
JD
As much of a Hopkins fan as I am, I would rather not see him fight Calzaghe at this point.

I don't think Hopkins has the legs to beat him anymore. Calzaghe's workrate and handspeed would prove to be too much over the course of 12 rounds and he would win a decision.
Mean Mister Mustard
At this point of Hopkins career what is going to beat him is handspeed. That's why I always said Roy beats him even after having lost to Johnson and Tarver, Jones beats him because of his fast hands. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park for Jones but certainly and difficult fight for B-Hop and one he would lose by close decision.

Stay away from Calzaghe, Jones and Dawson.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 22 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]350454[/snapback]
At this point of Hopkins career what is going to beat him is handspeed. That's why I always said Roy beats him even after having lost to Johnson and Tarver, Jones beats him because of his fast hands. I'm not saying it's a walk in the park for Jones but certainly and difficult fight for B-Hop and one he would lose by close decision.

Stay away from Calzaghe, Jones and Dawson.

I don't know about Jones, I think Hops got more left than Roy. Especially since Roy just goes to the ropes and hangs out there now.
Maxy
Yeah I agree that Hopkins beats Jones.....Jones is totally finished in my book but a fight against Calzaghe is really difficult to pick. Calzaghe would probably win it now and I don't want to see that because these two could've fought a few years back and I could only ever see Hopkins winning. I don't want Calzaghe having Hopkins on his resume and thats why I said in another post that perhaps now is the best time for Bernard to really call it a day.
MarzB
Hopkins isn't going to fight Chad Dawson simply because he's tough and he's NOT going to sell any PPVs. Now speaking of Calazaghe, I'm giving him the nod although with Hopkins propensity to hold, cold make the fight more even. Still the nod goes to Joey based on speed and I think he can adjust to Hopkins "holding" tactic and be able to rattle off more combos.

He should get past Kessler then this fight can be made. Good
rusty_trombone
I would be awesome, B-hop vs. the winner of kessler-Calzhage in like Rome or something. That would be a fucking event.
Method
Hops takes Jones. I think Hops/Joe Cal is a tossup. I am not gonna just concedde Cal the "W" beccause of handspeed. Bernard has histrically proven to be able to neutralize his opponets' best weapons. Handspeed ain't gonna be what get's him. Hops takes it to the phone booth? Tough fight for Joe Cal. Still, it's the biggest fight out there for Bernard money and legacywise. It's a toss up. I could envision scenarios where I couldn't see how Bernard could lose, but then again, I could also envision scenerios where it would be hard to see him win.

As far as how both guys looked last night, nobody has EVER looked good against Hopkins OR Wright, so it's tough envisioning them looking good against each other, and that's where the water gets muddied. Those guys looked different last night, and, how much can we attribute to age and how much can we attribute to them, well, fighting each other. I know Bernard is 42 and Wright is 35, but I can't help thinking they lookd different because they were facing each other.

IF that's the case, I dunno...I can see Hopkins being VERY game against Joe Cal. Everyoner was talking ALL kinds of noise about how Wright's work rate was gonna be to much for Hopkins, and his workrate was neutralized. His jab non-existent. Winky Wright was BEAT UP by the end of last night's fight. A few times, in the championship rounds, he looked like he was gonna pass out in his corner.

Hopkins / Calzaghe can happen or not...I could care less...competitive fight. I can see where people could envision Cal winning, but to take the other side of the afforementioned quotes of Joe Cal beating Hops easily...NOBODY beats Hopkins easily.
Blayde
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 22 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]350492[/snapback]
Hopkins isn't going to fight Chad Dawson simply because he's tough and he's NOT going to sell any PPVs. Now speaking of Calazaghe, I'm giving him the nod although with Hopkins propensity to hold, cold make the fight more even. Still the nod goes to Joey based on speed and I think he can adjust to Hopkins "holding" tactic and be able to rattle off more combos.

Dont forget Calzaghe likes to hold and hit either. I dont think holding would be a problem for JC.
georg
QUOTE(Blayde @ Jul 22 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]350567[/snapback]
Dont forget Calzaghe likes to hold and hit either.

It is true,but Calzaghe also slaps a lot using the inside of the gloves and even punches that sometimes are similar to karate-punches thrown upside down (see the ending of the Manfredo-fight in slow motion).

I think he does this to look like a busy bee and quicker than his opponents.

But these are illegal punches.

He can get away with it, since he almost only fight in UK with WBO

In other countries with other referees he would not be allowed to use this style throughout a fight. And that would hurt his chances to win
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(georg @ Jul 23 2007, 06:18 AM) [snapback]350630[/snapback]
He can get away with it, since he almost only fight in UK with WBO

Hopkins seema to get away with it, right here in the good old US and A
georg
calzaghe hopkins would be a good fight, but calzaghe has got to get pass kessler first, who i think has a better than average chance at beating calzaghe, it wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if calzaghe is over looking kessler, which he could very well be doing and if he do that,he is in for a big surprise
PR316
Judging from this interview, I'd say that Joe is taking this fight very seriously...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOfrGKO5qA...ser&search=

Nobudius
This fight would probably never take off, due to the choice of venue & location.

This would be one UGLY fight.
NickBarker
I wonder who Hopkins will go after should Kessler beat Calzaghe. I don't know if Mikkel has the name over here that Joe does, even should he beat Joe.
Method
I doubt Hopkins "goes after" anybody. Joe didn't seem to care one way or the other bout Hopkins, despite calling him out every minute of every day of his retirement. Now Joe acts like he was left at the alter. Typical.

At this stage, I don't think Bernard is gonna be beating the drum for anyone. My guess is he'll let them co me to him, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.
Warlord
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 22 2007, 09:07 AM) [snapback]350450[/snapback]
As much of a Hopkins fan as I am, I would rather not see him fight Calzaghe at this point.

I don't think Hopkins has the legs to beat him anymore. Calzaghe's workrate and handspeed would prove to be too much over the course of 12 rounds and he would win a decision.

Co-sign.
Bill The Butcher
Joe Calzaghe is a southpaw. Enough said.

Just kidding. I know there is more to Calzaghe, but isn't Hopkins 10-0 (7 KOs) now against Southpaws? Doesn't that say something?

Joe Calzaghe is on the down side of his career as well. That's why he is talking about retiring soon, right? Or am I wrong?

Hopkins is slightly taller, has the longer reach. And of course, can't forget about his ring generalship, footwork and that sneaky right hand. Hopkins is good at making other fighters fight his fight. He has proved it over and over again. He gets away with holding and hitting if he has to do it. If the fight happened, it would probably be for Hopkins light heavyweight title. Therefore, Hopkins has a little more time adjusting to the weight class. Plus if the fight happened in the United States, that would give Hopkins even a greater advantage. Since Calzaghe has never fought in the United States.

Hopkins wins by UD. Right now.
Method
Yup.
PR316
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jul 25 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]350998[/snapback]
Joe Calzaghe is a southpaw. Enough said.

Just kidding. I know there is more to Calzaghe, but isn't Hopkins 10-0 (7 KOs) now against Southpaws? Doesn't that say something?

Joe Calzaghe is on the down side of his career as well. That's why he is talking about retiring soon, right? Or am I wrong?

Hopkins is slightly taller, has the longer reach. And of course, can't forget about his ring generalship, footwork and that sneaky right hand. Hopkins is good at making other fighters fight his fight. He has proved it over and over again. He gets away with holding and hitting if he has to do it. If the fight happened, it would probably be for Hopkins light heavyweight title. Therefore, Hopkins has a little more time adjusting to the weight class. Plus if the fight happened in the United States, that would give Hopkins even a greater advantage. Since Calzaghe has never fought in the United States.

Hopkins wins by UD. Right now.

As far as being on the downside of his career, Joe maybe isn't as quick as he used to be, but he's still quicker than Winky, and carries 170 pounds much more naturally. But Bernard didn't look like a world beater last time out either. Sure nobody looks good against Winky, but I do think that Hopkins legs are going and he's not as quick as he once was. He'd still beat most for sure. And you NEVER count out a guy like Hopkins, no matter the odds. But we have to remember that if Jermain Taylor was able to win rounds on activity alone(Effective or not), then it was to be assumed to Joe would swamp Bernard with activity.

I see this to be a very good fight fought at a SCORCHING pace and at 175 pounds, I think Calzaghe is better suited, and thus would take it in the latter rounds over the older fighter who would never stop trying but who at this point in his career, probably won't have the legs to outmanuever a Joe Calzaghe.
Nobudius
You know, I would give the old man pretty good odds: I know the Calzaghe homers will say his hand speed will be the difference, but if this fight ever was realized, they will witness how that supposed advantage will slowly be taken away, & it turns into a mud slinging match-just like the old man likes it.

What will hurt the old man is his own work rate-he'll probably lose the decision due to this, while making Joe Calzaghe look absolutely terrible.
NickBarker
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Jul 26 2007, 12:26 AM) [snapback]351112[/snapback]
You know, I would give the old man pretty good odds: I know the Calzaghe homers will say his hand speed will be the difference, but if this fight ever was realized, they will witness how that supposed advantage will slowly be taken away, & it turns into a mud slinging match-just like the old man likes it.

What will hurt the old man is his own work rate-he'll probably lose the decision due to this, while making Joe Calzaghe look absolutely terrible.

I could see this scenario realized. I think Hopkins has the capacity to make most anyone look pretty awful, but it won't deter Calzaghe from throwing the kitchen sink at him. Even if Hopkins is able to stay defensively sound and land some nice looking counter every now and then like he did against Wright, he's not going to be able to pick up rounds solely on three or four nice counters a round because Calzaghe will just throw and consequently land too much.
Nobudius
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Jul 26 2007, 01:01 AM) [snapback]351126[/snapback]
I could see this scenario realized. I think Hopkins has the capacity to make most anyone look pretty awful, but it won't deter Calzaghe from throwing the kitchen sink at him. Even if Hopkins is able to stay defensively sound and land some nice looking counter every now and then like he did against Wright, he's not going to be able to pick up rounds solely on three or four nice counters a round because Calzaghe will just throw and consequently land too much.

It would be like most recent Hopkins' bouts:

cleaner punching vs. work rate

Assuming JC get the nod(my opinion anyway), I'm sure there will be backlash b/c he would look awful in getting the decision. Funny thing is, the current old man river still would be one of the best, if not the best opponent JC would ever face.

Kinda.....sad.
Warlord
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Jul 25 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]351112[/snapback]

Exactly my contention as well. I've always said that, at this point, the only way Joe wins this fight is off of work-rate. Not because he's better or smarter or any of that shit, but just because he's still young enough that he can step on the gas and make it an uncomfortable fight. I'd rather Hopkins take on guys better suited to his style at this point, as I have no desire to see any more Jermain Taylor type decisions again.
neophyte7
Calzaghe slaps an awful lot. He would miss alot of punches and get roughed up on the inside. I say EX makes this an ugly gind out physical fight. Calzaghe has not faced anyone with the experience and craftiness of Hopkins---- Got to go with Hopkins
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.