Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jorge Linares
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
NickBarker
I was discussing this, along with others, in the round-by-round thread, but Jorge Linares looks like he's the goods. I have trouble seeing anyone at 126 being able to take him. Granted, I haven't seen Chris John, but this kid would be trouble for anyone. He's so young and will only get better. Both he and Katsidis had some major coming out parties tonight, but I doubt many would argue that Linares appears to have better long term potential. That is not to disparage Katsidis, either, because I believe he can be tougher at lightweight for almost anyone. The Golden Boy has really found a good one here, who somewhat interestingly carries the same nickname.
NickBarker
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 22 2007, 03:53 AM) [snapback]350414[/snapback]
I was impressed with Linares as well. He was composed with good handspeed. He seemed pretty relaxed, yet confident in there. But, I also thought Larios was quite bad in there. He really disappointed me, he looked like absolute shit.

He's only 30, but I believe he's similar to Castillo in that the amount of fights he's been in over the years, starting young, has really taken its toll. Nevertheless, a lesser prospect probably would have buckled somewhat under the consistent pressure of Larios which was as good of a gameplan as he could probably come up with. He certainly wasn't going to win a boxing match with Linares.
kidbazooka1
I agree Linares looks to be the real deal it's not an easy task to stop Larios just ask Pac.

Lets seem him face one of the title holders at 126lb.
woooooo
Says on boxrec that Linares is 21.

I was impressed, good handspeed, stuck to his gameplan.
blackbelt2003
I don't think Larios looked like shit. It's just that he did what he always does, and against an intelligent fighter he gets beaten up.

He looks superb against the Wayne McCulloughs of the world, but stick him in with a Pacman, Vazquez or now Linares, someone who can punch intelligently instead of in a brawling way, and Larios will get taken apart.

Having said that, I was very impressed with Linares. For a 21 year old kid to show that much poise and technique under fire marks a future champion. If he can get Chi, John and Guerrero in the ring with him, he could rule the featherweight division for some time and become it's next great champion.

Black
Mean Mister Mustard
Linares bodyshots were sickening to hear. This guy looks good. I think it may be too soon to face John, who is very fast and crafty, but apart from that 126 isn't too deep nowadays. Linares woul beat Guerrero and probably Chi too.
NickBarker
Maybe De la Hoya would put him against the winner of the Juarez/Guerrero fight on the Marquez undercard. It would be a fight that GBP could probably make without too much trouble.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Jul 22 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]350444[/snapback]
I don't think Larios looked like shit. It's just that he did what he always does, and against an intelligent fighter he gets beaten up.

He looks superb against the Wayne McCulloughs of the world, but stick him in with a Pacman, Vazquez or now Linares, someone who can punch intelligently instead of in a brawling way, and Larios will get taken apart.
Having said that, I was very impressed with Linares. For a 21 year old kid to show that much poise and technique under fire marks a future champion. If he can get Chi, John and Guerrero in the ring with him, he could rule the featherweight division for some time and become it's next great champion.
Black

I agree.I thought Larios looked no different than any other time I have seen him fight with the exception of him getting stung by a sharper, faster opponent. Linares impressed me big time last night. Much more than Katsidis did. Kat showed some character and excitement, but his style is going to get him hurt by a slickster. Plus Linares' competition was much more stiff than Kat's last night. And Jorge closed the show with a TKO. Linares' style is actually reminiscent of DLH's as the commentartors were stating.
Jack 1000
I didn't see the fight. But shit! If BoxRec is correct, two of the three judges had it by only 1 and 3 points at the stoppage. Wow!

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human...0&cat=boxer

If the link doesn't work, just go to Boxrec.com and look up Oscar Larios. It shows the cumulative scores from last night.

Jack

PS. 86-85 Larios ahead??? That can't be right!
Elijah
Yeah this guy is gonna be something. I was impressed on how well he boxed backing up and managed to still have some snap on his punches. Not easily done and he also fought at the perfect distances to get the full effect of his punches.

Lookin forward to seeing this guy again. Winner of Guerrero/Juarez would be great for him.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jul 22 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]350524[/snapback]
I didn't see the fight. But shit! If BoxRec is correct, two of the three judges had it by only 1 and 3 points at the stoppage. Wow!

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human...0&cat=boxer

If the link doesn't work, just go to Boxrec.com and look up Oscar Larios. It shows the cumulative scores from last night.

Jack

PS. 86-85 Larios ahead??? That can't be right!

It is a VERY sad thing that one of the judges had Oscar up 1 point at the time of the stoppage. Very sad. Put it this way Jack. Oscar got knocked down once, he got right back up and notioned to Vic that he could continue, but Vic decided to stop it because of the consistency of a beating he was receiving. Oscar did keep pressuring Jorge throughout most of the rounds, but it was not effective pressure. Linares started backing Oscar up come 8th round, I believe, on.

Maybe this fight is on youtube. You will have to see this kid for yourself Jack. He is definitely the goods.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I just noticed that on boxrec, and was going to post something. That's unbelievable how someone could of had Larios winning that fight. Granted, he did put a lot of pressure on Linares, it wasn't effective pressure. Linares dominated, and I was really impressed with this young fighter. He's going to be a star in the future at featherweight and jr lightweight.
Kyle
NickBarker
I had it a shutout for Linares. Hype and Harold Lederman each gave Larios a round and I felt that was being generous.
NickBarker
That's what I recall, as well. It was a close one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.