Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: John from Cincinatti
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
rusty_trombone
I think it's pretty good. Interesting.
The CEO
Why are you STARTING a new thread when you should be ANSWERING in MY new thread..?

laugh.gif
Method

Y. I watch it. Good stuff. A LOT of Deadwood actors on the show.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Method @ Jul 24 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]350777[/snapback]
Y. I watch it. Good stuff. A LOT of Deadwood actors on the show.

yes, it is very similar to deadwood. they should have just kept that show.
Method
It's not similar to Deadwood at all...except they have 85% of the Deadwood cast in JFC.

JFC is set in Hawaii and centers around surfing and paranorman phenomenon. Deadwood is set in the Dakota Territory back in colonial times and is a Wild Western.

Of the two, I prefer Deadwood, but John From Cinci is good stuff.
Spyder
The show is set in Imperial Beach, California.

I agree that the show is VERY similar. From the actors, to the way that the characters interact with each other, to the characters themselves, to the way the sets are used, to the dialogue.

In fact, there is very LITTLE that differs between the shows. Maybe the production of Deadwood just cost too much for HBO, so instead of reducing the budget and making the show suck, they just told him to create a different show.
Method
Very LITTLE that differs? WTF are y'all smoking? One is a Western set in Dokotas and deals with the Wild Wild West in Lawless Deadwood.

The Other is a Surfing flick based on existential influence of a higher power.

the ONLY thing these shows have in common is the same writer and much of the same actors.

These shows are night and day.
Southeastpaw
My guess is that the 2 shows have the same director and producer? I can understand where one might say they are similair the sense where they are working with the same actors, director, and producer. But as far as settings and basic story line they look WORLDS apart.
Spyder
You have to be able to look past the set design to see how similar the shows really are.
Method
Great insight. Will do. So when I see a 13-year-old, pot smoking surf/skate rat wiz by on his skate board, I should envision a 30-something whiskey drowned gun slinger galloping by on a horse.
Spyder
If it walks like a duck... dntknw.gif

There are a lot of films that are similar but take place in different settings...I guess the best way that I can explain it to you is with an example...

The Matrix is a film that takes place in the distant future, past the time that humans dominated the earth. That is the setting for the story. But that is NOT the story. The story is NOT about a futuristic world dominated by machines, the story is about the heroes' journey. The story is about an unwitting kid becoming the savior of the human race. In that sense, the Matrix is more like the story of Jesus, than Star Trek.

In this case, neither show has much of a storyline in place. Both shows seem more concerned with character interaction, than with advancing the story. Even more specific is the dialogue used in both shows...and the way that the characters deliver it. The fact that a lot of the actors are the same amplifies that, though in this case they play noticably different roles. However, a lot of the same types of characters exist in both shows.

The similarities are not just limited to both shows being heavily character driven. They both utilize small sets that the characters just seem to move in and out of. The shows are even shot and cut in the same style.

I really can't explain it any better than that...

Don Flamenco
I don't like this show at all. I just wait for Entourage to come on Sundays.

The better show is on Monday. Freaking HBO had to kill off two great shows in Rome and Sopranos and now we're stuck with this POS.
Spyder
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Jul 31 2007, 09:31 PM) [snapback]351912[/snapback]
I don't like this show at all. I just wait for Entourage to come on Sundays.

The better show is on Monday. Freaking HBO had to kill off two great shows in Rome and Sopranos and now we're stuck with this POS.

It's definitely not for everybody.

What I'd do to get Rome back... cray.gif
Method
Totally. Rome was the GOAT!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Method @ Jul 31 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]351823[/snapback]
Great insight. Will do. So when I see a 13-year-old, pot smoking surf/skate rat wiz by on his skate board, I should envision a 30-something whiskey drowned gun slinger galloping by on a horse.

No look past the actions of the character, but the way they actually communicate. I think it's interesting that the creator seems to have a very narrow view of the way people communicate with each other. Also, the actual sets may be different, but the setting is still very small, with a very close knit group, that congregate in one area a majority of the time(kind of like deadwoods thoroughfare would be Cincy's hotel area) Also the fact that alot of stuff revolves around, and happens while the are waiting for the result of a single event. There is way main event that happens in every episode, that the episode is supposed to be about, but it's really not. I am less interested in the story, and more interested in how the people of this small slice of reality interact. Although, the story is more thought provoking than most, i am pretty conflicted in what "John" actually is, so I think he mioght be intended to be a mixture of chracters and people, i also think it's interesting that he can control whether or not people can actually see him when he is there.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 1 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]352050[/snapback]
Totally. Rome was the GOAT!

I would rather be watching rome, but this is pretty good.
BGv2.0
ASSOUT! It won't be coming back for a second season....

HBO said earlier this month that "John From Cincinnati," a surfer drama co-created by "Deadwood" executive producer David Milch, will not return for a second season.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_en_..._austin_nichols

It looked stupid to me....
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 24 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]354966[/snapback]
It looked stupid to me....

That's not surprising.
Method
Jesus. If that ain't coming back for a second season, then that was a complete waste of airtime. This season was all preparation andf no H.

We sacrificed Deadwood, Rome...for THAT shit.

I thought it was alright...and was looking forward to getting to the heart fo it, which the first season built right up to, but then held back, for what I presumed would be followed through with in the second season.

Jesus...this was Carnivale all over again.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 25 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]355003[/snapback]
That's not surprising.

Yeah....mystic surfing...I'm sure it's worth EVERY second!

Eat shit Rusty.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 26 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]355179[/snapback]
Yeah....mystic surfing...I'm sure it's worth EVERY second!

Eat shit Rusty.

yeah, it's no transformers.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 27 2007, 09:18 AM) [snapback]355199[/snapback]
yeah, it's no transformers.

YEAH, you got that right!

Orson Wells would never be attached to this shit.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 27 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]355208[/snapback]
YEAH, you got that right!

Orson Wells would never be attached to this shit.

i know, with the john show there's not "more than meets the eye", but robots that turn into cars from another planet, such a deep introspective into the human psyche can only be described as universally binding.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 27 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]355212[/snapback]
i know, with the john show there's not "more than meets the eye", but robots that turn into cars from another planet, such a deep introspective into the human psyche can only be described as universally binding.

Well....say what you will....but that cartoon did avoid something you can't argue....

It did not tank after one season! lol

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 27 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]355214[/snapback]
Well....say what you will....but that cartoon did avoid something you can't argue....

It did not tank after one season! lol

i actually like transformers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.