Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Hatton
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Maxy
RICKY Hatton is expected to discover in the next 48 hours whether his mega-bucks showdown with Floyd Mayweather will take place later this year.

The Hitman's UK promoter Dennis Hobson is locked in talks with Mayweather's advisers and TV executives in the States, with a 5m offer to the five-weight world champion sitting on the table.

Hatton has already received the encouraging news that should his biggest pay-day fall through, "Golden Boy" Oscar de la Hoya has already offered to fill the gap, although that fight might have to wait until next summer, with Wembley touted as a likely venue.

Things have moved quickly since Hatton's fourth-round Las Vegas stoppage of Jose Luis Castillo just over a month ago.

Hatton delivered a few well-aimed barbs at Mayweather straight after that victory, declaring that he and Castillo had provided more action in four rounds than the master tactician from Michigan had managed in his whole career.

The teasing worked. Mayweather, said to be enjoying his "retirement" by touring night clubs, ordering gallons of the best champagne for his friends, hangers-on and bystanders, and then tossing 100-dollar bills to the crowd, had his ego pricked.

He soon declared that he was ready to come out of an abdication which had lasted little more than six weeks, and show this uppity Brit a thing or two.

But while his money-men were meeting to discuss his future at the weekend, the boxer - said to be worth 10m - was in a Miami nightclub partying with two American football stars and ten female admirers.

At one stage of the evening a bodyguard was sent to a SUV parked outside and returned with a black bag containing what an onlooker described as "yards and yards of gold jewellery." Mayweather was draped in the trinkets until he looked "like a Christmas tree."

Now it is hoped that a deal can be struck which would see Hatton and Mayweather meet, probably in Las Vegas on November 10.

Money will be a big stumbling block. Mayweather will insist on the lion's share as the biggest name fighter in the US, where the TV cash will provide the bulk of the purse.

But Hobson has argued that Hatton brings with him a huge support, as 9,000 of the 13,000 inside the Thomas and Mack Center in Vegas last month were British travelling fans, and that kind of live support will help to turn the fight from a big sporting occasion into a major event.

A reliable source told MEN Sport: "It's getting very, very close and I reckon that the next 24 hours will decide things one way or the other, 48 hours at the most, as it will take 24 to come to an agreement and another 24 to run it past all parties."

But de la Hoya threw another interesting possibility into the mix at the weekend when he declared that he intends to carry on boxing, despite his defeat by Mayweather in their meeting in May, in what was the richest fight in history.

De la Hoya has long wanted to fight in the UK, and his words have sparked renewed speculation that he and Hatton could meet at Wembley in the summer of 2008, with the new stadium keen to stage a huge boxing event.

The two men have become firm friends, but neither would find it hard to put that to one side, especially with a multi-million pound scrap in the offing.

"There's been rumblings going on about it," said the Mexican-American multiple world champion. "I respect Ricky. He's a great fighter, he's a great guy.

"If that fight does get made, fans all over the world will be ecstatic. They will see a fight. Ricky Hatton comes to fight. And that's what I love. If we ever do it, it will be a heck of a show, that's for sure."

But Hatton's target remains Mayweather, as victory would ensure he became the No1 pound-for-pound fighter on the planet.

*Article taken from the Manchester Evening news.
NickBarker
It's a huge fight and it would probably force Cotto and Mosley to fight one another, which is a great bout, but I just don't want to see it now. The main reason: Mayweather needs to fight Mosley. Yes, I'd be rooting for Hatton in the fight, but I give him very little chance to win it. Mosley is the oldest of the best welterweights and he would make this a really interesting contest. I'd prefer to see Hatton stay around 140 a bit longer, but that's just me.
Warlord
I'd rather Hatton fight De La Hoya anyway. There's more money to be made, and it will be a better fight. I don't really care to see Floyd potshot his way to victory over a Ricky Hatton who has most likely already seen better days anyway. At least De La Hoya, at this stage in his career, will stand there and fight. I imagine a fight between the top draw in America versus the one of the top draws in the UK could make some decent change for everyone involved.
BigG
I'd rather see Cotto fight Mayweather.

That wouold be Mayweather's toughest test and IMO he could lose that fight.
namor
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Jul 24 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]350794[/snapback]
It's a huge fight and it would probably force Cotto and Mosley to fight one another, which is a great bout, but I just don't want to see it now. The main reason: Mayweather needs to fight Mosley. Yes, I'd be rooting for Hatton in the fight, but I give him very little chance to win it. Mosley is the oldest of the best welterweights and he would make this a really interesting contest. I'd prefer to see Hatton stay around 140 a bit longer, but that's just me.

So you people could say "so what,Mosely was old,you see Mayweather only fight old past their prime fighters"After Floyds beats him.

Maywaether will never get props no matter who he beats.They`ll always be an excuse.
hardhead
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 24 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]350803[/snapback]

agreed, I used to think differently but I think Cotto may have that will/determination to go in take a couple shots from Floyd and deliver his own bombs.
singletrack
How is Floyd only worth "10m" - that must be a typo. I'd watch the fight, but Hatton will get lit up. Annoying, that this is the fight PBF will take. This is just filler until he fights a real threat - Mosley, Cotto, etc.
singletrack
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 24 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]350803[/snapback]

I'm glad to see people saying this : )
Maxy
I've always felt Mayweather will beat Hatton but that Hatton will give him a hard fight. I still feel that way and I'm a little surprised people dismiss the fight altogether and talk about Mayweather boxing other opponents.

For me, Cotto has more longevity than Hatton. He has more time. Paul Williams also has time on his side, more than Hatton. I'd like to see both of them box Mayweather but they can wait. Mosley vs Mayweather is the only fight, at this time, which needs to happen before a Hatton-Mayweather fight. Mosley is running out of time.

I genuinely believe Mayweather-Hatton will be exciting and I also genuinely believe Floyd will have to work hard. He'll know he's been in a fight.

Yes, the same goes for the other aforementioned possible opponents, but Hatton against Mayweather makes sense to me at this current time. I really hope it happens.
NickBarker
QUOTE(namor @ Jul 24 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]350807[/snapback]
So you people could say "so what,Mosely was old,you see Mayweather only fight old past their prime fighters"After Floyds beats him.

Maywaether will never get props no matter who he beats.They`ll always be an excuse.

You're right. There is almost always a way to paint a Mayweather, or any other unpopular fighter's, victory as inconsequential. However, I think it would take a very poor Mosley performance to elicit that response from me. I've been impressed at how he looked against Vargas and especially against Collazo. True, he could age quickly in the process, but it's unlikely given the shape he keeps himself in.

Personally, I think both Mosley and Cotto offer Mayweather fights that give him even more of a vice grip on P4P #1 should he win. I do not believe that Hatton does that to the same degree and the weight issue, regardless of validity, will be brought up. Floyd would not have that issue with either of the former fighters.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Jul 24 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]350819[/snapback]
You're right. There is almost always a way to paint a Mayweather, or any other unpopular fighter's, victory as inconsequential. However, I think it would take a very poor Mosley performance to elicit that response from me. I've been impressed at how he looked against Vargas and especially against Collazo. True, he could age quickly in the process, but it's unlikely given the shape he keeps himself in.

Personally, I think both Mosley and Cotto offer Mayweather fights that give him even more of a vice grip on P4P #1 should he win. I do not believe that Hatton does that to the same degree and the weight issue, regardless of validity, will be brought up. Floyd would not have that issue with either of the former fighters.

with all of this crap about mayweahther and his money tossing, is there any doubt that this man will be a broke ass after he retires??
singletrack
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jul 24 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]350817[/snapback]
I've always felt Mayweather will beat Hatton but that Hatton will give him a hard fight. I still feel that way and I'm a little surprised people dismiss the fight altogether and talk about Mayweather boxing other opponents.

I base that mainly off of his fight with Collazo, which I had Collazo winning. PBF is in another league compared to Collazo IMO.
hardhead
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jul 24 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]350817[/snapback]

For me, Cotto has more longevity than Hatton. He has more time. Paul Williams also has time on his side, more than Hatton. I'd like to see both of them box Mayweather but they can wait. Mosley vs Mayweather is the only fight, at this time, which needs to happen before a Hatton-Mayweather fight. Mosley is running out of time.

I genuinely believe Mayweather-Hatton will be exciting and I also genuinely believe Floyd will have to work hard. He'll know he's been in a fight.

Yes, the same goes for the other aforementioned possible opponents, but Hatton against Mayweather makes sense to me at this current time. I really hope it happens.

I don't want to sound like I don't give Hatton a chance because with his aggressive style/crowding/rough he may be able to give Mayweather some problems, plus the last time I counted Hatton out as having no shot at all was the Tsyzu fight, so I won't make that same mistake, Hatton is one of the best in the game but I just feel Mayweather is at a higher level...I'd still like to see the fight though, although I think Cotto has a better chance of beating Mayweather.....But that's why they get in the ring and fight.
hitman harding
QUOTE(hardhead @ Jul 24 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]350831[/snapback]
I don't want to sound like I don't give Hatton a chance because with his aggressive style/crowding/rough he may be able to give Mayweather some problems, plus the last time I counted Hatton out as having no shot at all was the Tsyzu fight, so I won't make that same mistake, Hatton is one of the best in the game but I just feel Mayweather is at a higher level...I'd still like to see the fight though, although I think Cotto has a better chance of beating Mayweather.....But that's why they get in the ring and fight.

I agree with you HardHead
But will add a couple more points
Mayweather hasn't stopped anyone laterly has he? So he ain't going to KO Hatton who has a better then good chin. Hatton has a good chance against that wife bashing fraudster if he gets fraudster into a brawl.
Yansoma
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 24 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]350823[/snapback]
with all of this crap about mayweahther and his money tossing, is there any doubt that this man will be a broke ass after he retires??

He definitely won't be broke, thats for sure. His money has been handled more than sufficiently since he was like 19.
Jack 1000
Despite Mayweather's talents, I just find him boring no matter who he fights. I would rather see Hatton-Delahoya with bouts against Cotto or Williams worked out in the future. Hatton-Mayweather? Mayweather pot-shots his way working outside and with the jab to winning 8-12 rounds against Hatton, doesn't fight on the inside, (would be stupid to do so.) wins around 116-112 and 117-111 on each of the cards, and you didn't have to pay $60 to find out.

Jack
rusty_trombone
Funny, if this fight happens, I think i will find myself rooting for Hatton, in vain though. I like Hatton as a man, seems like an okay chap, i even like his self-depricating jokes. He's hard to root against, but hitman does make it a bit easier. If this fight happens, I will be a very conflicted man on who to root for. On one hand it would be great to see hitman shed a tear for hatton, and maybe finally remove Hattons nuts from their summer home(his mouth), or watch Floyds cocky ass get beat an cry like a baby. I don't know.

Seriously though, I think Hatton stands little shot at winning. I don't think weight matters, as far as 140 or 147, since Floyd is not exactly a real welterweight anyway. Maybe floyd will pull both hamstrings, and break both hands in the first round though. Who knows?
salvador
QUOTE(Yansoma @ Jul 24 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]350846[/snapback]
He definitely won't be broke, thats for sure. His money has been handled more than sufficiently since he was like 19.

I remember Larry Merchant pointing out that when Floyd was making the slave wage of $2MM a fight, Floyd was sporting a $300K watch. Clearly you have inside info, but "more than sufficiently" sounds like a strong way to describe the way Floyd's money is being "handled".
The CEO
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 24 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]350865[/snapback]
Funny, if this fight happens, I think i will find myself rooting for Hatton....................................

RT....I can't allow you to root for that fucker...that's a nono.gif....

What am I gonna do with you? You're hurting my heart, man.

salvador
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jul 24 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]350860[/snapback]
Despite Mayweather's talents, I just find him boring no matter who he fights. I would rather see Hatton-Delahoya with bouts against Cotto or Williams worked out in the future. Hatton-Mayweather? Mayweather pot-shots his way working outside and with the jab to winning 8-12 rounds against Hatton, doesn't fight on the inside, (would be stupid to do so.) wins around 116-112 and 117-111 on each of the cards, and you didn't have to pay $60 to find out.

Jack

yep

I'm still hoping that DLH will step in and make it worth Hatton's while to wait until May 5.

The only fight of Floyd's I would ever consider paying for is if he fights Williams, becuase I'd really love to see Floyd lose.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jul 24 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]350860[/snapback]

Jack

Thanks for the postfight cards Jack. Nice touch, your definitely on point. thumbsup_anim.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(hitman harding @ Jul 24 2007, 09:56 PM) [snapback]350842[/snapback]
Mayweather hasn't stopped anyone laterly has he? So he ain't going to KO Hatton who has a better then good chin. Hatton has a good chance against that wife bashing fraudster if he gets fraudster into a brawl.

I agree I'm not sure he would stop Hatton unless it was cuts and while I think Hatton has a solid chin, I know for sure DLH has a better one, so I don't think it's out of the question that Floyd could stop Hatton because he defense might not be as good as DLH. I do see Floyd winning on points by a 3 or 4 round though. I think if Hatton has a chance he has to go BALLS TO THE WALL, take some of those quick counters on the chin and throw lots of blows to the head and body(much like Castillo did in the first fight) and catch floyd with his pride trying to trade...
Nay_Sayer
Mark my words, Hatton is gonna duck Floyd.
singletrack
QUOTE(hitman harding @ Jul 24 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]350842[/snapback]

Define KO? I see this getting stopped due to swelling or cuts because of the amount of damage Mayweather will do.
salvador
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jul 25 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]350943[/snapback]
Mark my words, Hatton is gonna duck Floyd.

I couldn't agree more.
Hodge
It would be cut-throat of Oscar to take the fight and it would be stupid of Ricky to take it. Oscar takes a lot out of the fighters he beats. Ike Quartey was greater, but that was fight that took a lot out of him. It could be said that Tito ruined him, but I would think Oscar was the straw that broke the camel's back.
JD
QUOTE(Hodge @ Jul 25 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]350952[/snapback]
It would be cut-throat of Oscar to take the fight and it would be stupid of Ricky to take it. Oscar takes a lot out of the fighters he beats. Ike Quartey was greater, but that was fight that took a lot out of him. It could be said that Tito ruined him, but I would think Oscar was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yeah, Tito really was a savage. He didn't even fight Ike Quartey and he was able to ruin him. Now THAT is something serious right there.
Col Reb
Hatton needs to stay at 140 for a few more fights. He could fight either Paulie or Casamayor. And this might sound crazy, but I think he should try and get Pacquiao to meet him at a catch weight for an all out war.
sTotheR
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 25 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]350953[/snapback]
Yeah, Tito really was a savage. He didn't even fight Ike Quartey and he was able to ruin him. Now THAT is something serious right there.

Rofl
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jul 26 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]351127[/snapback]
Hatton needs to stay at 140 for a few more fights. He could fight either Paulie or Casamayor. And this might sound crazy, but I think he should try and get Pacquiao to meet him at a catch weight for an all out war.

It sounds very crazy seeing that the catch weight would be an entirely different division. Pac is 130 Hatton is 140, the "catch" weight would be lightweight, 135.

Anyone that thinks Hatton could make 135 without flatlining is insane.

Col Reb
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jul 26 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]351159[/snapback]
It sounds very crazy seeing that the catch weight would be an entirely different division. Pac is 130 Hatton is 140, the "catch" weight would be lightweight, 135.

Anyone that thinks Hatton could make 135 without flatlining is insane.

I was thinking more like 137 or 138. A fight with Juan Diaz would be great as well.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jul 26 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]351166[/snapback]
I was thinking more like 137 or 138. A fight with Juan Diaz would be great as well.

I don't think Hatton could make 137 or 138 either really at this point.

Also you are suggesting that Pac who's already moved up some 6 divisions or something crazy would skip another division (135) to face Hatton at a weight above that which I find a little out there.

Maxy
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jul 26 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]351127[/snapback]

Hatton-Pacquiao??? WTF...I'll have some of what you're smoking!
fantasiabruja

Alot of people confuse Oba Car for Ike Quartey.
fantasiabruja
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 24 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]350843[/snapback]
What weight? 147 or 140?

It does not matter cause that CUNT Mayweather can fight at any weight dont you think budy?
Elijah
If this fight does get signed will it take place this year? If so man this year has been one of the best boxing years in a long long time.
NickBarker
Especially the last quarter of the year with such fights as:

Sept. 29-Taylor/Pavlik
Oct. 6-Pacquiao/Barrera II
Oct. 13-Chagaev/Ibragimov
Nov. 3-Calzaghe/Kessler
Nov. 10-Cotto/Mosley

And then having Mayweather/Hatton sometime in December would simply be the cherry. Not to mention, those are only the highlights, there are plenty of other good to very good level fights in between them.
Hodge

Hardy, Hardy, Har Har. I was talking about after "OSCAR" fought Quartey, he was never the same.
Maxy
Pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather and England's unbeaten junior welterweight Ricky Hatton are finalizing plans to fight Dec. 8 at a U.S. site to be determined on HBO Pay-Per-View.

Leonard Ellerbe, adviser to Mayweather, told USA TODAY that details will come with an official announcement as early as Monday.

"This is a great fight for the fans," Ellerbe said Friday. "We have two young unbeaten fighters, at the top of their game, from two different countries going against each other. It's what boxing needs."

Ellerbe applauded Hatton (43-0, 31 KOs) for taking the fight, which will be contested at the 147-pound welterweight limit, seven pounds more than Hatton's optimum weight as a junior welterweight.

"I never thought he would do it, but Ricky Hatton deserves credit for stepping up to the plate," Ellerbe said. "He asked for it and now he's going to get it. Floyd is a extremely excited. He wants to show Hatton that he's never fought at this level before. He's going to show him what it's like to step in the ring with the best fighter."

*taken from USA today.

Nay_Sayer
Hatton is gonna duck Floyd...
Maxy
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jul 27 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]351375[/snapback]
Hatton is gonna duck Floyd...

*Yawn*...so you keep telling us.....
Imperius3
Looks like a done deal now!

Woohoo!
CyruS
R.I.P. Ricky
Mean Mister Mustard
This fight will be competitive but I cannot see PBF losing. Props to him for taking the fight, right now people are saying it's a mismatch but let's remember that in 2005 this was the fight everyone wanted to see. Sure Ricky has had some hard times in the ring since then but his win over Castillo might have erased them.

This is going to be fun because you can tell PBF wants to shut Ricky up.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jul 27 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]351376[/snapback]
*Yawn*...so you keep telling us.....

Have the contracts been signed?
salvador
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jul 29 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]351653[/snapback]
Have the contracts been signed?

good question, because I agree with you; Hatton ain't fighting Mayweather, particularly if DLH is serious about fighting him (Hatton) next May for 3x the money.

Hatton was at the Mayweather/Gatti fight. He saw it up close and he knows for damn sure that he can't beat Floyd, ever, so why take the short money with Floyd when DLH seems genuinely interested?
Don Flamenco
You know it's a wrap when the lines are up in Vegas.

Welterweight 12 rounds - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada - HBO-PPV

Sat 12/8 101 Floyd Mayweather Jr -280
10:00PM (EST) 102 Ricky Hatton +200
The CEO
I'll be putting my nest egg on Floyd...he's gonna make an example of that boy...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 29 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]351663[/snapback]
good question, because I agree with you; Hatton ain't fighting Mayweather, particularly if DLH is serious about fighting him (Hatton) next May for 3x the money.

Hatton was at the Mayweather/Gatti fight. He saw it up close and he knows for damn sure that he can't beat Floyd, ever, so why take the short money with Floyd when DLH seems genuinely interested?

I think Hatton would take it, because he knows his popularity will not go down even if he loses to Floyd. His fan base loves him and will be die hard fans even if he loses. That's what DLH wants from Hatton, his fan base and fighting style. So, even if he loses the fight with Floyd, but keeps it semi-close, I think DLH would still want him. It's not like he loses a title shot if he loses to Floyd, and I don't think DLH wants any part of Floyd again.
salvador
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 31 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]351805[/snapback]
I think Hatton would take it, because he knows his popularity will not go down even if he loses to Floyd. His fan base loves him and will be die hard fans even if he loses. That's what DLH wants from Hatton, his fan base and fighting style. So, even if he loses the fight with Floyd, but keeps it semi-close, I think DLH would still want him. It's not like he loses a title shot if he loses to Floyd, and I don't think DLH wants any part of Floyd again.

DLH would much rather have Hatton's virginal, undefeated record. DLH is already going to get enough shit for fighting a guy 2 weight classes below him, he doesn't need a loss on his record on top of it. And I don't think Floyd-Hatton will be remotely close. The only damage Hatton will do will be the wrestling marks he leaves on Floyd's arms for as long as the ref allows it. OTher than that, Hatton's going to get picked apart.

I just really can't believe Hatton's people are this stupid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.