Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOSLEY-COTTO DONE DEAL FOR NOVEMBER 10TH AT MSG!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
thehype
MOSLEY-COTTO DONE DEAL FOR NOVEMBER 10TH AT MSG!
By Editor | July 25, 2007

It's official. Sources close to the situation have just informed FightHype.com that three-time world champion Shane Mosley will be facing WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto on November 10th at Madison Square Garden. (2:45PM ET)

Remember where you heard it first!

BLAHAHAHAHAHA
singletrack
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 25 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]350986[/snapback]
MOSLEY-COTTO DONE DEAL FOR NOVEMBER 10TH AT MSG!
By Editor | July 25, 2007

It's official. Sources close to the situation have just informed FightHype.com that three-time world champion Shane Mosley will be facing WBA welterweight champion Miguel Cotto on November 10 at Madison Square Garden. (2:45PM ET)

Remember where you heard it first!

BLAHAHAHAHAHA

Woot!!! I need tickets...
Milk Dud
I will wait until Gregory confirms this

read.gif

CyruS
Oh shit, fight of the year. Those tickets are copped!
The CEO
Should be a fan friendly fight right there...that's great news.

Bill The Butcher
That's awesome. Can't wait for this one.

Lets hope they make Hatton/Mayweather or Hatton/Delahoya happen now.

I think I'm leaning towards Mosley taking Cotto.
Michigan Assassin
This is gonna be a hell of a fight. just rewatched the Judah-Cotto fight and if that's any indication, I think Mosley has great chance of the W.

Judah stunned Cotto several times but wouldn't follow anything up. If Mosley does the same he won't let up on Cotto.
Bill The Butcher
I know, that would be cool to see this one live. MSG will be packed.
Maxy
Brilliant news, yet another top fight for 2007. I'm a big fan of both fighters but I'll be rooting for Cotto. Tough one to pick but I think the edge lies with Mosley.
woooooo
2007 is great.
Nay_Sayer
Mosley KO6..
Chi-Town
Very exciting news...and I agree with the other posters...2007 has been a pretty good year in boxing. There have been some very compelling fights made this year ....If Cotto wins this I think he's a cinch for fighter of the year.
AKay
God willing I will be there!
Will
singletrack
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Jul 25 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]351000[/snapback]
Mosley KO6..

Bah! You picked Judah by KO too ; )
DaGameNJ
No way I wont be there for this one.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(singletrack @ Jul 25 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]351004[/snapback]
Bah! You picked Judah by KO too ; )

Yep, and I was almost right.

cool.gif
Ironhead
Cool! Can't Wait! Can't really pick a winner for this fight. For Cotto/Judah I thought Judah was going to expose Cotto or knockout him out. Cotto As we know destroyed Judah. Mosley has a similar style like Judah's only he's an orthodox fighter. If Mosley can stay outside and try to box Cotto he has a chance of winning, but Cotto does a great job of cutting off the ring and relentless pressure and Mosley can't handle that too well. Both fighters have a lot to gain if either one wins the fight. Should be interesting.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mosley is the type of fighter who likes to stand in front of his man and shoot combos, I've never seen him on his toes shooting jabs. Sure he beat DLH going backwards in their first encounter but Cotto is going to gun to punish Mosley. Both fighters love to dig the body so for fans like me who love to see livers get destroyed tune in.

I think Mosley makes it to the end because he's too tough and also he is bigger than Judah who many believe should be fihgting at 140. By the way expect Cotto to come out bruised as well.
HaydelHammer
Cotto is in for a long night.
Yansoma
Mosley and Cotto we're getting popped by straight counters from Judah/Collazo pretty frequently until they started pulling ahead. Cotto was using his jab really well against Judah, which is something I think people take for granted because Mosley isn't exactly untouchable these days.
PR316
This is a monster fight. Cotto at this point should be slightly favored but it could go either way at this point. Mosley could very well beat him.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Jul 25 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]351016[/snapback]
Cotto is in for a long night.

You're right, he really is.....

I think Shane may be just a little too much for Cotto. Besides Winky and Vern, whose ever had Shane in serious trouble in the ring? Crickets churping....

I've seen Cotto in trouble many times. I guarantee Shane will crack that chin in the first round just to see what the kid is made of.
hardhead
I agree PR13, I'm a HUGE Mosley fan, and have all the respect for Cotto and think this fight is pretty even but with a slight edge to Cotto since he's the younger more in his prime fighter....Should be one hell of a scrap and I can't wait...
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(Boss Hogg @ Jul 25 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]351023[/snapback]
You're right, he really is.....

I think Shane may be just a little too much for Cotto. Besides Winky and Vern, whose ever had Shane in serious trouble in the ring? Crickets churping....

I've seen Cotto in trouble many times. I guarantee Shane will crack that chin in the first round just to see what the kid is made of.

actually those fights against vernon and winky (especially vernon mosley I) showed me that shane will not go anywhere against anybody even when outmanned, out gunned, beaten, whatever... he will die trying to the end and will be on his feet.

Guys like that you have to hit over the head with an iron post b/c he's so stubborn.

Cotto's issue is he he's straight up and down, forward, no movement. He is tailor made for Shane's blend of counter punching with speed, power and precise accuracy. Unfortunately Cotto is going up against a strong, fast, tough, smart veteran that stays in top notch conditioning and has a nice beard.

Gonna be a long night for him.
Southeastpaw
Mosley has only shown trouble with larger, rangier fighters. I still think that Mosley has it. Cotto does not have the physical attributes known to give him trouble. This is a tough fight to pick. But I am edging towards Mosley. Mosley is mentally tough and very fast. I can see him pulling this one out with his speed and mental will.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Jul 25 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]351026[/snapback]
actually those fights against vernon and winky (especially vernon mosley I) showed me that shane will not go anywhere against anybody even when outmanned, out gunned, beaten, whatever... he will die trying to the end and will be on his feet.

Guys like that you have to hit over the head with an iron post b/c he's so stubborn.

Cotto's issue is he he's straight up and down, forward, no movement. He is tailor made for Shane's blend of counter punching with speed, power and precise accuracy. Unfortunately Cotto is going up against a strong, fast, tough, smart veteran that stays in top notch conditioning and has a nice beard.

Gonna be a long night for him.

Agreed! The "straight up and down" of Cotto's style is suicide when matched against Shane's speed and power. We saw a quick reminder of Shane's power when he whooped Vargas' ass. Cotto better learn to duck a little bit before this fight goes down.
NickBarker
This is a great fight. I will try and make the trip up to New York City for it. I imagine that GBP and Top Rank will put on an excellent card for both the televised portion and the earlier fights with the prospects.

As for the bout itself, I think it's very close to even. Obviously Mosley will have the speed edge and can come with some pop. However, Judah had plenty of pop and I don't think he was ever really close to putting Cotto out. Yes, if he had pursued some of his opportunities more thoroughly he could have gotten more done, but he would have had to go through some big punishment to do that. Once again, I feel that Mosley's speed will be negated somewhat by his vulnerability to Cotto's bodyshots given his tendency to stay in the pocket.

I really hope that Cotto wins. I believe it's better for the sport for him to establish himself as a long reigning champion. Though I think both of these fighters make for good fights, Cotto can be doing it for longer.
Southeastpaw
This is actually the smartest fight for Shane right now when I think about it. And the more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with my pick of him beating Cotto. Winning this fight would boost him pretty high. BUT after this fight, it would be suicide for him to face Williams. I think he could beat Margarito just because Margs is slow and does not utilize his jab in a way that would bother Mosley. Now, Cintron might be tough for Mosley. I actually think that Mosley could beat him just because I think that if Mosley is still standing in front of Kermit come the 4th, he will get discouraged and Mosley will take over.
Michigan Assassin
Just checked out Boxingtalk and they have this as remember where you heard it first. Only a couple hours after hype broke the story.

I gotta go Mosley UD or late TKO.
Milk Dud
I saw that too maybe he has Ben on ignore or something. It's like everything that was broken yesterday (hatton and floyd) and today (tarver dawson) he claims as his breaking news.
Michigan Assassin
Also Ben doesn't seem to have such a hard on for "Where you heard it first". As long as everyone is getting the news and discussing it on these boards.
Milk Dud
I agree and in the end as long as they get their asses in the ring thats all I am concerned about. Big ups to Ben for letting us know the latest 411 though
Ironhead
I think Shane is a little past his prime. If he couldn't hurt Collazo when they fought I don't think he'll be able to hurt Cotto.
BrutalBodyShots
I've got Mosley by decision. If I were Mosley's camp I would go out there in the first 2-3 rounds looking for a quick "catch him cold" KO. Cotto has been caught early in fights before (Judah, Torres, etc) except those opponents didn't have what it took to finish the job. I think if Mosley seriously hurts Cotto he has a very good chance of stopping him, and he should try to do it early. As the fight progresses Cotto will take Mosley's shots better as he settles in and will land more power shots down the stretch as he's the younger guy and comes on later in fights. I think Mosley will build up enough of an early lead and will snag a few later rounds with heart late to take a close but clear decision -- but I think without question he should TRY to get Cotto out of there sooner rather than later otherwise he will without a doubt take a good amount of punishment in the last third of the fight (even in a winning effort).

NickBarker
He was still able to pepper Collazo for almost the whole fight. Collazo is a slick southpaw with speed probably a little better than Cotto. However, I recall reports that Collazo had an injury to his hand that prevented him from utilizing his full arsenal.

There's no question that Cotto is going to have to take some shots to get inside Mosley's guard, but that's nothing new for him against the top level of competition.
NickBarker
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jul 25 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]351054[/snapback]
I've got Mosley by decision. If I were Mosley's camp I would go out there in the first 2-3 rounds looking for a quick "catch him cold" KO. Cotto has been caught early in fights before (Judah, Torres, etc) except those opponents didn't have what it took to finish the job. I think if Mosley seriously hurts Cotto he has a very good chance of stopping him, and he should try to do it early. As the fight progresses Cotto will take Mosley's shots better as he settles in and will land more power shots down the stretch as he's the younger guy and comes on later in fights. I think Mosley will build up enough of an early lead and will snag a few later rounds with heart late to take a close but clear decision -- but I think without question he should TRY to get Cotto out of there sooner rather than later otherwise he will without a doubt take a good amount of punishment in the last third of the fight (even in a winning effort).

I'm not sure I agree with Mosley getting a decision, though it's a reasonable scenario you've outlined. However, I do believe you're right on about Mosley potentially catching Cotto cold. He is a well known slow starter who seems to get used to the power of his opponent's shots as the fight progresses. This could be caused less by Cotto's acclimation and more by the gradual wear and tear that he imposes upon them. Either way, Cotto is most vulnerable within the first few rounds.
hardhead
What makes it a tough fight for Cotto, is Shane has a damn good chin and has stood toe to toe with everyone and took some tremendous shots, certainly the other side is will it catch up to him against Cotto who is relentless with his body and head attack, I think he still has enough left that at the very least he gives Cotto all he can handle and then some. I think it's going to be a classic matchup.
fantasiabruja
I'm a fan of both but I'm going to root for my fellow Boricua!
I will try to go see the fight in person but if I decide to stay home I invite all of the Dutchess county NY residents to come over for the fight party at my place. I'm new up here
RealPuya
I really want to see Hatton vs Cotto…but Mosley vs Cotto…I think if Mosley tries to test Cotto chin by going toe to toe…Cotto will Knock Him Out…but if Mosley just box Cotto…Mosley in 10 by TKO. aggressive.gif
BigG
Mosley might win by decision...but he will have to take some beating to the body and head to beat Cotto. Cotto is a beast.
BrutalBodyShots
Mosley has all the tools in the world (skills, speed, enough power) to catch Cotto early and badly hurt him. He then has the tools to finish him. I think Mosley's team should implement this strategy and come out swinging. Mosley has greater speed and will beat Cotto to the punch... his shots will get there first and if one lands right (especially if Cotto doesn't see it) it could be over quick.

As much as I think this plan would be excellent, I don't see Mosley (or his team) going for it. I think they'll prepare for 12 rounds and anticipate going 12 hard rounds. Mosley had better do a lot of work early and inflict a good amount of damage to Cotto because late the fight will be all Cotto.

Let's not forget the body shots Forrest landed to Mosley in the 2nd and 10th I believe that hurt Mosley VERY badly. Those were the shots IMO that really did Mosley in. Aside from getting caught cold against Forrest I've never seen Mosley really hurt upstairs, just to the body... and with Cotto being such a dedicated body banger I have a feeling that in the later rounds Mosley will be in for a great deal of punishment. I could see Mosley even getting dropped or taking a knee from Cotto's body work. Anyway, my point again is that Mosley should (and can) avoid all of this if he takes Cotto out early.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jul 25 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]351087[/snapback]
Mosley has all the tools in the world (skills, speed, enough power) to catch Cotto early and badly hurt him. He then has the tools to finish him. I think Mosley's team should implement this strategy and come out swinging. Mosley has greater speed and will beat Cotto to the punch... his shots will get there first and if one lands right (especially if Cotto doesn't see it) it could be over quick.

As much as I think this plan would be excellent, I don't see Mosley (or his team) going for it. I think they'll prepare for 12 rounds and anticipate going 12 hard rounds. Mosley had better do a lot of work early and inflict a good amount of damage to Cotto because late the fight will be all Cotto.

Let's not forget the body shots Forrest landed to Mosley in the 2nd and 10th I believe that hurt Mosley VERY badly. Those were the shots IMO that really did Mosley in. Aside from getting caught cold against Forrest I've never seen Mosley really hurt upstairs, just to the body... and with Cotto being such a dedicated body banger I have a feeling that in the later rounds Mosley will be in for a great deal of punishment. I could see Mosley even getting dropped or taking a knee from Cotto's body work. Anyway, my point again is that Mosley should (and can) avoid all of this if he takes Cotto out early.

First of all, Mosley is a pretty damn good body puncher himself, and it will be nice to see how Cotto reacts to getting hit to the body. I also do not think Cotto will be as effective going to the body as in past fights, because now Mosley will be countering him way more with his speed everytime Cotto goes downstairs. I just think Cotto might be more hesitant to throw as many body punches than he usually does. I do agree with you that Shane has an excellent chance to finish Cotto off early for all the reasons you stated. No matter what, I will be there for this fight . This is an awesome match-up.
Southeastpaw
I agree with most of what you said BBS. But, I do not think that Cotto will hurt Mosley to the body like Cotto has done to previous opponents. IF, I say if, we see the type of Mosley that we saw in the 1st DLH fight, Cotto will get beat. And I really think that that Mosley is still there. He moved away from that style after he started lifting heavy and headhunting, but the Mosley I have seen in the past few fights is that old Mosley. I really don't see any signs of him showing his age or slowing down. I believe that Mosley's speed is on par with Judah's, but Mosley has so much more than Judah, I believe that Mosley is smart enough to utilize the ring in such a way that he did during his 1st bout with DLH. This will be a good one. And everytime I think about this fight, am thinking that Mosley has such a strong chance at winning this bout. At this point in time I am thinking 75% of winning in my mind of a Mosley victory. And Mosley CAN finish if his man is hurt.
Southeastpaw
Another thing that I have noticed a bit. It seems that a lot of people lately have kinda written Mosley off a tad. My guess would be the span of his career between 2002-2004. Mosley has looked extraordinary lately. And I hate hearing these things about Collazo "may" have had hurt his hand and so forth. There is tooo much heresay in this sport and it gets aggrivating and it is used as a crutch for too many debates. Mosley still has it. And as much as I love Cotto and what he brings, I believe we are all going to get to see how he handles defeat after this fight. But I see Cotto as the type that will learn and come back stronger.
BrutalBodyShots
Yes, Mosley certainly will land a good amount of right hands to Cotto's body and it will be interesting to see how Cotto takes it to the body.

Body shot for body shot though, I've got to take Cotto's left hook to Mosley's right.

Hopefully Mosley's speed and movement can keep Cotto from getting that shot off with any effectiveness though.

woooooo
Mosley has a good left hook to the body too.
_iodine_
what the fuck are you doin with my monkey?

p.s. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! Cotto is finally gonna lose! To none other than my boy, Shane! yuh.
Yansoma
Shane and Cotto have the most trouble with opponents who throw straight punches which neither of them throw to often. Cotto was having success with the jab against Judah so I think it'll play a much larger role in this fight than most people think. It's going to be like 20,001 vs 1 in the Garden on fight night, who knows, Shane could just get frustrated/discouraged even if hes doing well. Like someone said right before me; I feel that when they start throwing hooks Cotto will clearly get the better of the exchange if he goes downstairs and Shane will succeed going upstairs on Cotto. Although Shane hasn't shown any glaring weaknesses he hasn't been in there with a very physical fighter in a long while. Shane can definitely hurt Cotto with an accumulation because he is fast enough even if he power doesn't carry well. It's hard to tell if he really has that umph anymore because he was a tad normal against Cruz, Estrada, and Collazo. I guess his fights with Vargas entirely depend on whether or not you believe he had anything left in the tank.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(woooooo @ Jul 25 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]351106[/snapback]
Mosley has a good left hook to the body too.

It's alright... but Mosley throws far more rights to the body. Just watch Mosley-DLH II.

_iodine_
i love cotto but, like i've said in the past, a fighter isn't a complete fighter until he experiences defeat and rebounds from it. Cotto seems a great sportsman and should rebound nicely and Shane needs a big win over a great opponent to try and put a lock on the Mayweather fight. Cotto IS that great opponent. I expect nothing but great things from Cotto in the future but, for right now, he's got too many holes, and Mosley, being the student that he is, is damn well gonna know where those holes are. I'm rooting for both fighters here, just in different respects. this is a great fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.