Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Conflict of interest?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it difficult to understand how a reporter can also be an advisor.

Disclosure: Boxingtalk readers should know that I brokered this deal for Ishe and I'm currently advising him.

I mean, don't get me wrong...I guess that explains why you see so much of Ishe on that site...but man...what happens if he has to advice him on a potential fight with Cory Spinks?

LOL

I don't know...maybe he should have gotten himself his own advisor to advise him not to post something like that in his mailbag.

laugh.gif

And my goodness...you mean to tell me Ishe actually signed a contract for him to be his advisor. That's just bad...really bad.

thumbsdown_anim.gif

I hope he wasn't the one who adviced Monte Barrett to fight Cliff Couser.

laugh.gif

And while we're on the subject...quick...raise your hands....how many people have actually heard of Seeno Group?

CyruS
(Mase voice) wwwwwwwooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (/mase voice)

mnvkng76
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 25 2007, 05:28 PM) [snapback]351010[/snapback]
I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it difficult to understand how a reporter can also be an advisor.
I mean, don't get me wrong...I guess that explains why you see so much of Ishe on that site...but man...what happens if he has to advice him on a potential fight with Cory Spinks?

LOL

I don't know...maybe he should have gotten himself his own advisor to advise him not to post something like that in his mailbag.

laugh.gif

And my goodness...you mean to tell me Ishe actually signed a contract for him to be his advisor. That's just bad...really bad.

thumbsdown_anim.gif

I hope he wasn't the one who adviced Monte Barrett to fight Cliff Couser.

laugh.gif

And while we're on the subject...quick...raise your hands....how many people have actually heard of Seeno Group?

If he's advising the guy, maybe the Mailbag should be looked at as a PR piece.

and as far as Seeno Group.. Who?
WindyCityP
who r we talking about here?
NickBarker
Yeah, I saw the announcement on BT and ESB. I've certainly never heard of Seeno.
salvador
I knew someone was going to pick up on that. I guess it makes sense that it was Hype.

I'm not sure that I see the conflict as long as it's disclosed. One of the things I've always liked about Boxingtalk is that it tends to go easy on the fighters on the front page and lets the message boarders do all the ripping. I like that strategy because it gives the site access to the fighters while at the same time the truth is always told (or at least something resembling a logical interpretation of the sport's grey areas). If a boxing website was going to pride itself on reporting all the inside info - particularly about which fighters are ducking each other (and calling them and their promoters out on it) and who is strong arming who, then the conflict would be ugly. But no one does that (and Boxingtalk doesn't pretend to do that) because no one would ever get access to fighers or promoters.

If we're going to get all high and mighty and really make a name for ourselves as a credible website that follows boxing the way the NY Times follows politics (and I would be all for it, as there is nothing I like more than riding my moral high horse and pointing at the bad guy), we should be focused on exposing the real villains of boxing: Arum, King, Shaw, HBO, ect. It would be a great idea for a site, as there is an infinite amount of blatant corruption that needs to be exposed and in exposing the corruption, we'd be making a very positive and much needed impact on the sport. The times could have their dirty politicians, we could have our dirty promoters. I know which I'd find more interesting. But somehow, given that there is such a serious concentration of power in the sport, I think we'd be shut out of every meaningful event, including interviews.

Personally, I'd like to know how in the hell it's possible that Joshua Clottey, after destroying Corrales and putting up a hell of a fight against Margarito, is fighting Felix Flores on the UNDERCARD of Fields/Boswell on the Versus network next month! Arum fucked Margarito by keeping him on all those rediculous ppvs and now he's really fucking Clottey. Clottey should get Cintron, Williams, Cotto, Judah or SOMEONE with a name. Websites should be screaming bloody murder over this one because it's clear that no one wants to fight Clottey and Arum's got him on the back burner until Cotto falters.

woooooo
Hey G, Mayweather catches it no matter whom he fights! Before the Hatton bout was made everybody was saying how Floyd ducked Hatton, now that it's been made the same haters are saying that Floyd took the easy way out! Those fans are saying that Floyd didn't want to fight Cotto or Mosley, so he chose Hatton! The way I see it is Floyd wants to fight the top guys but wants to make the top dollar, Floyd should have the opportunity after beating Hatton to face the Cotto/Mosley winner for another multi-million dollar payday on the scale of his bout with Oscar DLH! And then there is always a rematch with the Golden Boy! It's funny though that Goldy is now the promoter of Floyd Mayweather!

Leon's Response: It's the Mayweather standard. When you're the best at what you do people tend to hold you to a different standard. Why do you think Mayweather and I get along so well?

Self promoters are sad sad sad lonely troubled people.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(woooooo @ Jul 31 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]351868[/snapback]
Hey G, Mayweather catches it no matter whom he fights! Before the Hatton bout was made everybody was saying how Floyd ducked Hatton, now that it's been made the same haters are saying that Floyd took the easy way out! Those fans are saying that Floyd didn't want to fight Cotto or Mosley, so he chose Hatton! The way I see it is Floyd wants to fight the top guys but wants to make the top dollar, Floyd should have the opportunity after beating Hatton to face the Cotto/Mosley winner for another multi-million dollar payday on the scale of his bout with Oscar DLH! And then there is always a rematch with the Golden Boy! It's funny though that Goldy is now the promoter of Floyd Mayweather!

Leon's Response: It's the Mayweather standard. When you're the best at what you do people tend to hold you to a different standard. Why do you think Mayweather and I get along so well?

Self promoters are sad sad sad lonely troubled people.

i lost all respect for ishe when he declared bankruptcy and screwed his old promotor. dan goosen i think.

anyway, greg will certainly lead ishe to the promise land. and if he doesnt, at least ishe will be wearing nothing but the hottest B-talk tshirts.
thehype
This one time...in band camp....

laugh.gif
buford54
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 25 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]351062[/snapback]
I knew someone was going to pick up on that. I guess it makes sense that it was Hype.

I'm not sure that I see the conflict as long as it's disclosed. One of the things I've always liked about Boxingtalk is that it tends to go easy on the fighters on the front page and lets the message boarders do all the ripping. I like that strategy because it gives the site access to the fighters while at the same time the truth is always told (or at least something resembling a logical interpretation of the sport's grey areas). If a boxing website was going to pride itself on reporting all the inside info - particularly about which fighters are ducking each other (and calling them and their promoters out on it) and who is strong arming who, then the conflict would be ugly. But no one does that (and Boxingtalk doesn't pretend to do that) because no one would ever get access to fighers or promoters.

If we're going to get all high and mighty and really make a name for ourselves as a credible website that follows boxing the way the NY Times follows politics (and I would be all for it, as there is nothing I like more than riding my moral high horse and pointing at the bad guy), we should be focused on exposing the real villains of boxing: Arum, King, Shaw, HBO, ect. It would be a great idea for a site, as there is an infinite amount of blatant corruption that needs to be exposed and in exposing the corruption, we'd be making a very positive and much needed impact on the sport. The times could have their dirty politicians, we could have our dirty promoters. I know which I'd find more interesting. But somehow, given that there is such a serious concentration of power in the sport, I think we'd be shut out of every meaningful event, including interviews.

Personally, I'd like to know how in the hell it's possible that Joshua Clottey, after destroying Corrales and putting up a hell of a fight against Margarito, is fighting Felix Flores on the UNDERCARD of Fields/Boswell on the Versus network next month! Arum fucked Margarito by keeping him on all those rediculous ppvs and now he's really fucking Clottey. Clottey should get Cintron, Williams, Cotto, Judah or SOMEONE with a name. Websites should be screaming bloody murder over this one because it's clear that no one wants to fight Clottey and Arum's got him on the back burner until Cotto falters.

It's a conflict of interests for a member of the media to be providing "advice" to someone that they are supposed to be objectively covering in the news.
Just like it's a conflict of interests for newspapers to endorse political candidates.
The purpose of the media/news is to provide information about events, without bias.
Now that Greg is advising Ishe Smith, it becomes in his best interest to give Ishe more coverage and to slant the coverage in a positive light.
When you own a media outlet, but are providing advisory services to the people that your outlet is supposed to be reporting on, it absolutely presents a conflict of interests.
stevennall
I remember Jin M answering the mailbag a few times. Who is she fighting next? And what kind of sweet deal was brokered on her behalf?
salvador
QUOTE(buford54 @ Aug 2 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]352149[/snapback]
It's a conflict of interests for a member of the media to be providing "advice" to someone that they are supposed to be objectively covering in the news.
Just like it's a conflict of interests for newspapers to endorse political candidates.
The purpose of the media/news is to provide information about events, without bias.
Now that Greg is advising Ishe Smith, it becomes in his best interest to give Ishe more coverage and to slant the coverage in a positive light.
When you own a media outlet, but are providing advisory services to the people that your outlet is supposed to be reporting on, it absolutely presents a conflict of interests.

I get that, but whoever said that Boxingtalk was a serious media outlet? It's a website that allows boxers and promoters to have direct access to the public; it gives them free reign to say whatever they want. More than that, the site survives because it allows boxers to promote themselves however they want without too many tough questions - it's why they (the fighters) come on Boxingtalk. Without Boxingtalk or similar sites, all we, as fans, would get would be the 2 minute interviews after the fights. And if Boxingtalk decided that it was going to grill the fighters about serious issues like ABC or CNN might, such as: steroids, felony convictions, backroom deals that keep deserving fighters from getting big fights, networks that use their power to pick and choose the sport's stars, health insurance for fighters, etc., then Boxingtalk and sites like it would never get the interviews and it would be us, as fans, who would end up losing.

The truth, as I said in my post, is that no boxing website that considers itself to be a serious journalistic voice on the sport could possibly let a day go by without going into detail (naming names with evidence) about how horribly corrupt it all is; how the promoters and hangers on steal from uneducated fighters every day; how HBO and Showtime have hijacked the sport and are killing it with rediculous PPVs every other week; and how top fighters dodge each other without thinking twice about it because there are no repercussions. Until a website or magazine starts focusing on those issues, the concept of a conflict of interest (which was disclosed) with an editor advising a B- level fighter who, in all likelyhood, will never get a megapayday or anything close to it, is a bit silly. Seriously, what's Greg going to do, convince us all that Ishe is an exciting fighter deserving of a shot at DLH?

Method
Well said, Salvador.
salvador
thanks Method
Warlord
I just want to know how you go from supposedly being promoted by Golden Boy ALL the way down to being "advised" by some internet nerd. My first bit of advice, Ishe, would be for you to grow up and stop burning your bridges, you cunt. What happens after you and Greg have your nasty little divorce, which we all know is imminent. Being promoted by the Geico caveman?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 2 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]352169[/snapback]
Seriously, what's Greg going to do, convince us all that Ishe is an exciting fighter deserving of a shot at DLH?

He will try of that I am sure.

I agree with you though Sal. No one will call these guys on the shit they pull because all that will do is get them blacklisted.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 3 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]352199[/snapback]
I just want to know how you go from supposedly being promoted by Golden Boy ALL the way down to being "advised" by some internet nerd. My first bit of advice, Ishe, would be for you to grow up and stop burning your bridges, you cunt. What happens after you and Greg have your nasty little divorce, which we all know is imminent. Being promoted by the Geico caveman?

exactly. this guy has burned every single bridge hes crossed and now greg is going to save him?? this guy is a joke. randal bailey should have beaten him anyway.
JD
For as much as Ishe Smith talks shit about The Contender, without it he would be NOTHING.

He is a nobody right now, take away his role on the show and he would likely be doing off TV bouts on Tye Fields undercards.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Aug 2 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]352149[/snapback]

Have you read boxingtalk the past few years? There isn't anything objective about their coverage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.