Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawson Stomps Tarver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
NickBarker
Anyone disagree?

It appears they're going to fight on Showtime's free preview weekend which is September 29th. Incidentally, that will put it in competition with a better fight: Taylor v. Pavlik. I really feel that Dawson is the future of not only 175 pounds, but a very likely P4P fighter. Tarver, on the other hand, struggled with Muriqi who is hardly a top class fighter and is an old man approaching 40 years old.

I suppose I'm glad that Showtime is making this fight, as long as they're able to keep putting Dawson in other good matchups when he wins. With their small budget, relative to HBO, they can't afford to match the quantity of HBO's stable, but they can have a smaller one of proporitionate quality. Chad Dawson would be a good start to it.
Spyder
I doubt that anyone on THIS board is thinking Tarver. That crackhead is about to fight for his last paycheck.

I can almost smell the rock cooking!

laugh.gif
BigG
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Jul 25 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]351052[/snapback]
Anyone disagree?

It appears they're going to fight on Showtime's free preview weekend which is September 29th. Incidentally, that will put it in competition with a better fight: Taylor v. Pavlik. I really feel that Dawson is the future of not only 175 pounds, but a very likely P4P fighter. Tarver, on the other hand, struggled with Muriqi who is hardly a top class fighter and is an old man approaching 40 years old.

I suppose I'm glad that Showtime is making this fight, as long as they're able to keep putting Dawson in other good matchups when he wins. With their small budget, relative to HBO, they can't afford to match the quantity of HBO's stable, but they can have a smaller one of proporitionate quality. Chad Dawson would be a good start to it.

Yup, I agree. No one can take Dawson at 175 except Hopkins and maybe Calzaghe.

Dawson will whoop Tarver.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think it will be a fun fight. Tarver has faced esceptional speed before and if he can get his timing right in training camp this will be a competitive fight. But of course I side with the majority here in that Dawson will beat Tarver.
alaganza
Dawson should be able to beat Tarver. It seems Tarver can be easily outworked these days.
Rabbit Punch2
Tarver can't keep up with Chad. He will be spent by round 5. Dawson TKO 8.
BrutalBodyShots
Tarver is barely a step above average. I would certainly hope a top guy at 175 like Dawson would beat him.

Blayde
Im surprised we are not going to see Dawson vs. Diaconu next!? Looks like they paid the Canadian to make the Tarver fight?

Stylewise Tarver should be a pretty tough matchup for Dawson. Tarvers got power in his left hand and can counterpunch. But as old as he is, that will probably not be a problem for Dawson. Dawson needs that name in his record.

Dawson vs. Diaconu is going to be a great fight though.
Tha Docta
yeah, tarver looks spent to me. wouldnt be totally surprised to see him catch dawson with something though. he was getting outboxed by harding before he landed a huge counter left hand.
singletrack
God I hope so...so sick of Tarver. Dawson is an extremely exciting fighter from what I've seen.
BrutalBodyShots
Tarver is one of those fighters that has NEVER looked good to me, even in his wins. To me he's sloppy and no better than average in any certain area except the power in his left hand which is what got him to the top. His come from behind victory over Harding etc even in his winning efforts he looks like nothing more than an average fighter.

Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Jul 26 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]351153[/snapback]
Tarver is one of those fighters that has NEVER looked good to me, even in his wins. To me he's sloppy and no better than average in any certain area except the power in his left hand which is what got him to the top. His come from behind victory over Harding etc even in his winning efforts he looks like nothing more than an average fighter.

What the hell are you talking about? Tarver is the greatest light-heavyweight of all time. Haven't you heard him tell you.
thumbsup_anim.gif
Nobudius
This is a good fight for Dawson: a nice opponent with a name, & a tune up for bigger things to come.

Plus, we may get another opportunity to see Tarver exposed as a buffoon.
NickBarker
Depending on what the line shapes up as, I may put some money on Dawson for this one. I just can't see Tarver winning, even on a lucky punch.
Big Slim Sweet
How good is Dawson's chin though? Adamek put him down pretty hard if I recall. Tarver's left will be a threat the whole fight.
NickBarker
Adamek is also quite a puncher. Dawson dominated that fight and got caught towards the end. Even given that, I think Adamek could take Tarver or, at the very least, is not too far below him. Obviously, transitive comparisons don't work in boxing, but I feel that Dawson will handle Tarver with no problem.
Hodge
They won't even offer the free weekends. I hate Comcast.
Method
Looking forward to this scrap. It will either rid us of Tarver, or bring out his best, which still may not be enough. Would have loved to been a fly on the wall when Tarver decided suddenly that Bad Chad was worthy.
neophyte7
TARVER WAS NOT THAT BAD WHEN PEOPLE HAD HIM KOING HOPKINS, NOW HE IS NOTHING??? DAWSON is good but still learning- no way he beats Tarver easily... anyone saying so know nothing about boxing.
Method
Definitely agree there.
BigG
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Jul 28 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]351455[/snapback]
TARVER WAS NOT THAT BAD WHEN PEOPLE HAD HIM KOING HOPKINS, NOW HE IS NOTHING??? DAWSON is good but still learning- no way he beats Tarver easily... anyone saying so know nothing about boxing.

I agree.....People make Tarver out to be some type of C class boxer. If he was C class...he would not have beaten Eric Harding, Roy Jones Jr. TWICE (ending Roy Jones Jr. reign on top), Glen Johnson, and Montell Griffin. Tarver is a good boxer with a good job and good skills...he had nothing for Hopkins and he won't have much for a young talent like Dawson.
neophyte7
I mean, really Tarver is still a good fighter. He has never been KO'd or seriously near the brink. Hopkins dominated him like on one else has at 41 years of age. People feel Dawson would dog Hopkins??? Dawson may be totally confounded. Hopkins is a master. To be honest, If Tarver gets another quality win. I would like to see a rematch between Hopkins and Tarver. Dawson is still learning and will continue to learn if he stays with Floyd SR
BigG
Johnson is a pretty good fighter who's beaten some very good fighters and been robbed alot. He beat Jones, Woods, Griffin, Tarver, Harding and according to alot of people was robbed a number of times from 98 to 2003... He is at least as good as someone like Adamek if not better....

I agree...Tarver is around the B mark and Dawson would destroy him...
NickBarker
I think it's difficult to get around his two most recent performances. Yes, one was against the Lord incarnate in Bernard Hopkins, but he was still utterly dominated and even wobbled by a smaller man. The second is even more questionable giving that he Muriqi made him sweat quite a bit in that fight. Dawson, obviously, hasn't faced the level of competition that Tarver has yet, but his talent seems readily apparent.

As for not knowing anything about boxing because I think Tarver is dogshit now, I leave that up to you all to decide.
TarverFan
I think Dawson will be the first fighter to stop Tarver. he's to quick,skilled and at this point just to good. Tarver has shown NOTHING his last few fights. Dawson will kick the shit out of Tarver. After that, will Hopkins be interested in fighting him? probably not because he is looking for money and Dawson isn't really a money guy. Would be nice to see it though if Dawson destroys Tarver like I expect him to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.