Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rafael Marquez v Israel Vasquez II (Preview Thread/Poll!)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
hitman harding
(Admin Notes: Topic pinned as Official Preview Thread. I used a "simpler" poll this time and we should do so from now on. Left the "Draw" option in, because any fight could end in a draw and sometimes a draw can actually be a good draw. LOL. laugh.gif)

Jack

In a fabulous and mouthwatering fight the former bantamweight champion and current super-bantamweight champion of the world Rafael Marquez meets Israel Vasquez on the 4th of August in a rematch of one of the best fights we've seen this year.

How will this play out ?
Will Vasquez's nose hold up ?
BrutalBodyShots
Got to go with Marquez here. He will only get better at the weight and I don't see anything Vasquez can do to improve upon his first performance. I've got Marquez by mid rounds stoppage in a fight that looks a lot like the original with Marquez just looking a little more comfortable.

T-MONEY
Marquez one of the hardest hitters in the game, Chico Corrales was probarly the hardest .
BrutalBodyShots
Marquez is also putting his punches together much better now than in the past IMO... his combinations are on point. Mix in brutal KO power with that and you've got a tough guy to beat. Most guys with power in his league are guys that simply look for 1 or 2 shots.

Milk Dud
Vazquez hasn't had the best of camps having switched trainers more than once. He is now with Rudy Perez, Barrera's trainer.

you do not want anything other than a great camp having to face a fighter like Rafa and a trainer like Nacho
Southeastpaw
Almost everything points to Marquez, but you can NEVER rule out Vasquez's power. He hurt Marquez pretty good in the first bout. I am delighted to be able to see a rematch.....and on Showtime!!!!!
NickBarker
I love both of these fighters. The smart money is obviously on Rafa, but Southeast is correct to point out Israel's punching power keeps him in every fight. Rafa showed in the first fight that he can be hit by Israel and I expect this to be another exciting, well contested fight.

I think Vazquez will be able to make this fight go longer the second time around because it's unlikely he'll have another broken nose or some other debilitating injury that forces him to retire. Nevertheless, I have to go with Rafa in a TKO around round 10.
kidbazooka1
I think the rematch will be a tougher fight for Marquez but he'll get the KO late in the fight.
Imperius3
Picked Marquez the first time, and I'm picking him again.

I agree with Fitz. Marquez was dominating the fight, despite that knockdown. Marquez will most likely make improvements for the rematch, whereas I'm not so sure about Vasquez. I can't blame Vasquez for retiring in the corner, but it's hard to seeing him beating Marquez after losing like that.

Marquez TKO 10
NickBarker
The lines are very slanted towards Marquez right now and probably will continue to be that way. It might be worth a flyer on Vazquez if you can get over 3-to-1.
Don Flamenco
The lines look to be having Marques as the favorite rit now... anyone here actually looking to see Vaquea winning this one? Only way I see Israel winning is with flash KD or something similiar to turn the tide. After watching the last fight, I have the OTHER Marques winning this one with UD..

Anyone think otherwise?

Where you at Dave?
Don Flamenco
Super Bantamweight 12 rounds - Dodge Arena, Hidalgo, Texas - Showtime
Sat 8/4 401 Rafael Marquez -250 Over 9 +145
10:00PM (EST) 402 Israel Vazquez +210 Under 9 -165

The lines look to be having Marques as the favorite rit now... anyone here actually looking to see Vaquez winning this one? Only way I see Israel winning is with flash KD or something similiar to turn the tide. After watching the last fight, I have the OTHER Marques winning this one with a UD..

Anyone think otherwise?

Where you at Dave?
moscow bear
lets just be happy they fight again....
NickBarker
I'm with that.
Jack 1000
Marquez by stoppage,

It will be another war most likely. But I think that Marquez has gotten inside of Vasquez's head. Marquez has the agility to be a little quicker, a little stronger, and the confidence of the first win behind him going into this rematch.

I honestly don't see anything that Vasquez can do differently the second time around. Hopefully, Vasquez will go out on his shield this time. However, I can not fault him for "quitting" in the first fight. If you can't breathe, that is serious shit.

Jack
Kijis Konar
Vasquez is my man, but I can't see him doing any better than he did last time. Rafael is a better boxer and was able to hurt Israel good in the first match.

I feel he breaks down Israel and stops him late in an easier fight than the first.
Mean Mister Mustard
One thing that could help Vasquez is to dodge that shotgun blast that Marquez calls a jab, in the first fight he could barely avoid it and I think that's one of the factors which allowed, and will once again, allow Marquez to defeat Vasquez. But you know that Marquez is chinny and Vasquez hits quite hard so there is that "What if" element present.
hardhead
I still haven't seen the first fight and If I'm not mistaken it was on Showtime, which I don't have. Thanbk good it's on BAD so I can catch it....Can't wait..
hardhead
Fuck, I was confused it is on Showtime, damnit!!!!
Southeastpaw
The thing I love about Vasquez is that he is not out until the fight is over. Look at the Gonzales fight. He was losing badly until he scored a knockdown. Then he was able to get in on Jhonny and close the show a couple rounds later. Vasquez has a quality that I LOVE in a fighter. Determination. We saw that he scared a knockdown that visibly had Marquez hurt in the first meeting. I feel that the later Vasquez can get this fight the better his chances are of stopping Marquez.
NickBarker
I was absolutely shocked at what Gonzalez was doing to Vazquez. I had really grown to like Israel and was amazed to see Jhonny dominating him. His comeback was absolutely a thing of beauty. I think he has revealed that he has certain limitations against absolutely top-notch boxers like Marquez and Gonzalez, but Vazquez is no slouch at the science and his power always keeps him in fights.

I'm happy no matter who wins as long as they fight Caballero in their next fight.

**Edit** As soon as I entered this I realized the last statement would be applicable only if Marquez wins again. If Vazquez wins, give me the rubber match. Though, I'd be okay if Vazquez fought Caballero before fighting Marquez a third time.
JD
Man, I think people are really sleeping on Vazquez here, regardless of his trainer issues.

I mean, I am leaning toward Marque by late stoppage - but I do not think this fight is the lock I get the sense many others do.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 1 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]352092[/snapback]
Man, I think people are really sleeping on Vazquez here, regardless of his trainer issues.

I mean, I am leaning toward Marque by late stoppage - but I do not think this fight is the lock I get the sense many others do.

I don't think it is a lock, but I'm pretty comfortable in thinking that recent history will repeat itself. I'm 75% sure Marquez will win much the way he did the first time.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think this fight will be just like the first fight. Marquez has the better skills, and he'll use that boxing ability to keep Vazquez at bay, and control the action in the ring. Vazquez has the power, and he'll catch Marquez a few times. He may even get another knockdown, but it wont be enough. Marquez will break him down as time goes on, and stop him late. Should be a great fight. Sucks ill be out of town, but ill tivo it and watch it sunday for sure.
Kyle
Boss Hogg
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm salivating waiting for this fight tomorrow! I expect the first five rounds to be an all out fking war!!! Wooooo!!! As nice as Vasquez is I think Marquez is about to give him the business one mo time!!!!
Michigan Assassin
I'm stoked as shit for this fight I've been waiting for it since the other got over.

Showtime replayed the first a couple of days ago and I expect this one to pick up where the other left off.

The more I keep thinking about it the more I'm leaning towards Vazquez. Don't get me wrong I think MArquez should certainly be the favorite but I can see Vazquez making slight adjustments to get away from Rafa's jab and catching him.
Kijis Konar
I don't know, but I feel this fight won't be as good as the first one. In fact, it might be somewhat one sided, with Rafa beating up a tough, always game Vazquez.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 3 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]352327[/snapback]
I don't know, but I feel this fight won't be as good as the first one. In fact, it might be somewhat one sided, with Rafa beating up a tough, always game Vazquez.

Its sure a possibilty but if Vazquez is too game, as I think he will be, it'll still be a great scrap because I don't think Rafa with have a moment to breathe.

Anyways, here is to a great fight.
Imperius3
Marquez showed to be a clear level above Vazquez. I'm about 99% sure he finishes what he started.
NickBarker
The odds are just about right on this one. You have to pay your 3.25 to get your 1 with Marquez. That's high enough that I wouldn't want to put up $325 for a mere $100 return. At the same time, the $250 I would get for putting $100 on Vazquez is not quite enough to erase my doubts on him, but it's close.
Jack 1000
Thread closed because the pinned up thread is now up. Everyone should now comment about this fight in that thread.

Jack

Administrator
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.