Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Berto Dropped
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
stateofthegame
Rivera just dropped Berto hard. The ref sucked big time at giving Berto a lot of time between rounds. A guy that followed Berto through the amateurs told me once that one of the knocks on Berto in the amateurs was his chin. This has been a solid test.
hardhead
yes it's been a test. He was caught coming in too careless not working off the jab a little more, other then the KD he's dominated this fight....
hardhead
pretty good last few rounds, Rivera is tough.....
AKay
OMG hes finished now!
Every single fight after this everyone will be pointing to the knockdown he suffered against Cosme and saying he has no chin and Cosme had him on queer street and that hes a bum and that he wont amount to anything!!!
Will
hardhead
QUOTE(AKay @ Jul 28 2007, 02:57 AM) [snapback]351416[/snapback]
OMG hes finished now!
Every single fight after this everyone will be pointing to the knockdown he suffered against Cosme and saying he has no chin and Cosme had him on queer street and that hes a bum and that he wont amount to anything!!!
Will

'

Well it can happen to any prospect, I don't know if it was his chin as it was him just being too overconfident, and while he was visibly hurt,it was right at the bell so he would've had a little time to recover, which he seemed to be okay. I don't know what the hell happened with the extra time in between though
Southeastpaw
I'm not going to bring up Berto's chin, although it doesn't look good to get dropped by Cosme. But I also never thought that he was the #1 prospect either. His style looks good and he is flashy. But he is wild and is too offensive for his own good. He still has some learning to do. He definitely has potential, but he better stay away from any of the top dogs at this moment in time. He left himself vulnerable too many times tonight and a slow fighter was able to hit him. Not sayin he won't be a champ, just sayin he needs to calm down and learn a bit more.
_iodine_
the kid's got a Lot of learning to do and i wouldn't be surprised if he loses a couple before gaining a strap, but he certainly has the potential to succeed. that was a nice short left uppercut cosme caught him with. really nice punch.
hardhead
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jul 28 2007, 03:11 AM) [snapback]351419[/snapback]
I'm not going to bring up Berto's chin, although it doesn't look good to get dropped by Cosme. But I also never thought that he was the #1 prospect either. His style looks good and he is flashy. But he is wild and is too offensive for his own good. He still has some learning to do. He definitely has potential, but he better stay away from any of the top dogs at this moment in time. He left himself vulnerable too many times tonight and a slow fighter was able to hit him. Not sayin he won't be a champ, just sayin he needs to calm down and learn a bit more.

I agree he has a lot to work on, trying to refine his skills, defensively and offensively, but with it being loaded at Welter I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to progress, other then the knockdown I think he won every round but one, against a tough vet in Rivera...
Spyder
I followed him closely in the amateurs also...we actually trained in the same gym for a period of time...but I never thought that he was chinny.

The biggest knock that I can remember is that he let his emotions get him out of his game. It was easy to piss him off and get him to scrap...when he should be moving, and working on the don't get hit part.

He definitely has all of the physical tools to be great...he just needs to develop the mental ones.

A few things that I noticed tonight is that he was getting a little wild with his shots. He needed to dial them in a bit and think more about placement. I also noticed...and Teddy wouldn't let us ignore it...that he wasn't going downstairs as much as he usually does.

I remember a fight of his in the district Golden Gloves Tourney, where he threw nothing but body shots...seriously, he didn't throw a single punch to the head. Winky And Lacy were in attendance so I think that he was just trying to show off to them, but it really was impressive to watch.

I think with a little more time, he'll gain the focus needed to excel with the elite.
NickBarker
You're certainly right about Atlas, Spyder. He had a decent point, but whenever he has anything insightful to say he is certain to pound it into your head for the duration of the fight.

Berto got caught fighting a little lazy. Rivera landed a very nice, short left uppercut that floored him. I actually thought he was in significant trouble because he was trying to play it off so much. It is unfortunate about the gloves that gave him additional time to recover between rounds, but it happens. As for Berto's performance, he once again impressed me with his stalking style, fast hands, and excellent power. After he got knocked down he did his best work for the next three rounds where he was able to corner Rivera and throw combinations. During those times he was going both upstairs and down; Rivera didn't take those shots very well and it seemed like it was about to be stopped a couple of times.

I hardly think this is any sort of exposure, but just shows that Berto isn't quite there yet and needs some more work on his defense and overall technique. However, that's no reason to keep him from moving into fighting contenders. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the elite in the division, but other than that level of fighters, he should be fine.
BigG
Rivera dropped Berto and Julio back to back (two of the hardest hititng prospects) while never being dorpped himslef. Zab dropped this guy 3 times in 3 rounds and TKO'ed him...
Spyder
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 28 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]351434[/snapback]
Rivera dropped Berto and Julio back to back (two of the hardest hititng prospects) while never being dorpped himslef. Zab dropped this guy 3 times in 3 rounds and TKO'ed him...

Yes...Zab is an offensive Beast!
salvador
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jul 28 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]351431[/snapback]
I followed him closely in the amateurs also...we actually trained in the same gym for a period of time...but I never thought that he was chinny.

The biggest knock that I can remember is that he let his emotions get him out of his game. It was easy to piss him off and get him to scrap...when he should be moving, and working on the don't get hit part.

He definitely has all of the physical tools to be great...he just needs to develop the mental ones.

A few things that I noticed tonight is that he was getting a little wild with his shots. He needed to dial them in a bit and think more about placement. I also noticed...and Teddy wouldn't let us ignore it...that he wasn't going downstairs as much as he usually does.

I remember a fight of his in the district Golden Gloves Tourney, where he threw nothing but body shots...seriously, he didn't throw a single punch to the head. Winky And Lacy were in attendance so I think that he was just trying to show off to them, but it really was impressive to watch.

I think with a little more time, he'll gain the focus needed to excel with the elite.

great, totally interesting, post!

How old was he when he was showing off for Winky and Lacy?

Ironhead
In the amateurs Berto got dropped a lot, but if you notice his stance he always has that left arm hanging and never covering himself up. Actually its with both hands, but the left one is more noticeable. He just needs to work on his defense if he wants to compete with the big dogs.
stateofthegame
I am not saying that this fight exposed him. I like Berto and he did get caught clean, but ever since that guy told me about Berto in the amateurs I have been waiting to see him step up. Besides the knockdown, and even with the knockdown I think he passed the first real test. The problem now s that Dibella will avoid him facing a big puncher for a long time now, and a loss will more than likely get him released.
The CEO
Ward is now the clear best of the ANDREs...
BigG
Rivera is no pushover. He got slaughtered by Zab, but he's still a pretty durable guy with a decent career. I think he is definitely better then Julio. This Rivera win is a good win for him.
Spyder
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 28 2007, 12:55 AM) [snapback]351437[/snapback]
great, totally interesting, post!

How old was he when he was showing off for Winky and Lacy?

It wasn't that long ago...let me think...it was the year leading up to the Olympic Trials...so it must've been Feb of '03.

Jeff Lacy's brother was fighting in the Tourney also...he's a heavyweight...but anyway, Berto used to get hired by those guys to spar with. In fact, Berto was in camp with Jeff when Lacy got dropped during sparring...Berto wasn't the guy that leveled him, but he was there when it went down.

Mosley used Berto to move around with also...

There's another kid in that group named Keith Thurman. He's going to be amazing. Right now his style looks like a mix between Jeff Lacy and Shane Mosley.

Kijis Konar
The important thing is that he got up and won. That's the first step to a succesful career.
Tha Docta
i was at the fight last night. berto got knocked down near the end of the round, but in between rounds Bertos cornermen took his glove off and brought in a new one from ringside. ive never seen that happen before, and it gave berto an extra minute or two to recover while they taped it up. by the way, is that illegal?? what the hell are these commission guys doing signing off on the wraps when you can just take them off and put a new glove on in the middle of a fight?

i also have to say that rivera is one tough sob. he definately earned his paycheck last night. the only other memory i had of him was when zab almost decapitated him with an uppercut.
woooooo
They were talking about Clottey before this fight.

After, they should definitely keep Berto away from that boy Joshua.
NickBarker
He's ready to fight David Estrada on September 29th. Even though Berto was caught fighting in a lazy manner and dropped, I still think he showed some good character to get up and come back harder than before at Rivera. His offensive game still looks superb to me. Yes, he could stand to settle down and work the jab more, but I think it's not as though he's incapable of it. I felt from rounds seven through nine that he looked especially impressive.

Bottom line, with a little more work on his defense and a few more fights, he ought to be ready to start going after the bottom end of the welterweight top ten.
T-MONEY
Estrada has a good chance of takeing berto at times it look like berto def was bad, rivera is pretty slow and he was landing some good shots.
Ironhead
Clottey would have a fun night landing those left hooks all night long if he were to fight Berto soon.
Blayde
Yeah, Clotteys style would be a nightmare for Berto. Id see the same scenario with Clottey landing his left hooks all night long. But I believe that Berto can still be a serious threat for lots of the other top welterweights.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Ironhead @ Jul 28 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]351507[/snapback]
Clottey would have a fun night landing those left hooks all night long if he were to fight Berto soon.

i dont think bertos defense is that bad. i just think he was in there with someone whos power he didnt respect at all. i imagine that he would be a little more cautious with the top guys in the division.
Teedoe3
QUOTE(Ironhead @ Jul 28 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]351456[/snapback]
In the amateurs Berto got dropped a lot, but if you notice his stance he always has that left arm hanging and never covering himself up. Actually its with both hands, but the left one is more noticeable. He just needs to work on his defense if he wants to compete with the big dogs.

Correction... Berto touched the canvas in his long amateur career ONLY ONCE. Please have facts straight before posting.
and the NEW
Berto reminds me of a cross between Mike Tyson and Zab Judah. Everything from the way he fights, to the way he moves, to the way he looks.

I think he is a good prospect, but in the division his in, he has a long way to come if he wants to compete seriously at the top level, against the likes of Mayweather, Mosley, Williams, Hatton, Cotto etc. He needs a few more fights where he can get the rounds in.

As much as people say everyone will be questioning his chin now, it is for a VERY good reason. The punch he got dropped by, reminded me of Judah Vs Bergman and Millett. Cosme is not a big puncher, and though it was flush, the way Bertos body wobbled did not look promising at all.

I hope he does well, because he is very entertaining, but I just cant see him beating more than 1 of the top guys at welter (ones I mentioned before). This guy needs several more fights against top 10 contenders before he should step in the ring with a good champion.
Maxy
That was only the 2nd time I've seen Berto. I wasn't impressed the first time and I'm less impressed now. He strikes me as another hype-job, a bit like Amir Khan is over here.

I feel he's another of those highly touted prospects who'll be found out when he meets the top fighters.
and the NEW
I think Kahn has a lot more talent than Berto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.