Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Issues With HBO Announcing Crew
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
neophyte7
ALL WHILE THE FORREST BALDOMIR FIGHT. MERCHANT COULD NOT KEEP HOPKINS'S NAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH-

BASHED HOPKINS CLINCHING... EVEN SAID HE GAVE THE FIGHT TO WINKY

then Steward saying that Hopkins and Wright cannot compete with the young guys

does not Steward remember both guys competing and really "beating" Taylor

Emmanuel Steward comes off like a smiling "uncle tom" who agrees with everything Merchant says

Merchant has always hated Hopkins. Instead of giving Forrest credit and leaving it at that he kept making reference to how Forrest at his age was performing better than Hopkins and Wright

EMMANUEL EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TO SAY THAT WRIGHT COULD DO NOTHING WITH FORREST

FORREST LOOKED GOOD , BUT GET REAL BOTH HOPKINS AND WRIGHT WOULD BEAT HIM UP...

MERCHANT IS AN IDIOT

STEWARD NEEDS TO STFU AND ACCOUNT FOR THE KRONK GYM CLOSING WHILE HE IS A MULTI MILLIONAIRE RATHER THAN URGING HOPKINS AND WRIGHT TO LEAVE THE SPORT--- I WOULD RATHER WATCH hopkins and Wright than "the has not improved one bit" Taylor

I thought Hopkins and Wright was a good match
salvador
Hopkins-Wright WAS boring and I'm glad someone at HBO is recognizing that fact, seeing as how the network charged $49.95 for the fight.

I watched it for the first time last night and I also think that it was much closer than the judges had it. Winky landed more clean shots and was the aggressor, and Hopkins' combinations weren't really getting through Winky's guard until the later rounds. I had the fight about even and I'm glad that Larry is a grumpy old man with an ax to grind with his boss/network.

I also agree that Steward isn't very good. Put him up against Teddy Atlas and it ain't close. HBO is obviously obsessed with having a black boxing "insider" as a commentator (and HBO should be obsessed with that), but Steward ain't it. I liked Foreman because even though he's not very smart and is clearly a manic depressive, at least he spoke his mind. As much as I've grown to hate Mayweather over the past few years, I actually think he'd be GREAT as a commentator. He's smart, articulate, knows what he's talking about, and has absolutely no problem defending himself in an argument.

Warlord
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 29 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]351631[/snapback]
Hopkins-Wright WAS boring and I'm glad someone at HBO is recognizing that fact, seeing as how the network charged $49.95 for the fight.

I watched it for the first time last night and I also think that it was much closer than the judges had it. Winky landed more clean shots and was the aggressor, and Hopkins' combinations weren't really getting through Winky's guard until the later rounds. I had the fight about even and I'm glad that Larry is a grumpy old man with an ax to grind with his boss/network.

I also agree that Steward isn't very good. Put him up against Teddy Atlas and it ain't close. HBO is obviously obsessed with having a black boxing "insider" as a commentator (and HBO should be obsessed with that), but Steward ain't it. I liked Foreman because even though he's not very smart and is clearly a manic depressive, at least he spoke his mind. As much as I've grown to hate Mayweather over the past few years, I actually think he'd be GREAT as a commentator. He's smart, articulate, knows what he's talking about, and has absolutely no problem defending himself in an argument.

Teddy Atlas is garbage, I can't understand why you'd even compare Teddy favorably to anybody. The man ALWAYS has an agenda, he never just calls a fight like it's supposed to be called. Say what you want about Steward, but that motherfucker knows his shit.

As for Merchant, I can't stand his ass, nor can I stand Jim Lampley. I actually thought both Roy Jones and George Foreman were pretty good at commentating, as I'd prefer to hear fighters who have actually fought call fights, instead of shithead journalists who chug house jizz in between their homer commentary.
kidbazooka1
I personly love the way Stewart was bashing Hop/wright they deserved it for that sorry dispaly of boxing.
Southeastpaw
Hopkins/Wright was a horrible prizefight to really watch. It was aggrivating. I believe the right person won. But it was a mess. Merchant was probably STILL aggrivated a week later. I watched The Empire Strikes Back while they replayed that fight.
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Jul 29 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]351627[/snapback]
ALL WHILE THE FORREST BALDOMIR FIGHT. MERCHANT COULD NOT KEEP HOPKINS'S NAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH-

Merchant has always hated Hopkins. Instead of giving Forrest credit and leaving it at that he kept making reference to how Forrest at his age was performing better than Hopkins and Wright

Merchant was the one praising Hopkins during one of the all time great megafights between Larry Merchant and George Foreman during the Trinidad Hopkins fight.
NickBarker
I think Teddy does have good insights. However, any time he gets it right, he makes sure you know about it for the entire fight. Hell, I guess he makes you hear about just about anything he says for the entire fight.

Roy Jones was intolerable. That guy was all jive and self-aggrandizement. Foreman, on the other hand, I agree with. He was a bit hardheaded and occasionally seemed to spew pure nonsense, but he was always in good form. He and Merchant were a pleasure to listen to together because George would go after him quite a bit. Steward and Merchant seem to be too polite with one another, though I do enjoy Manny's contributions quite a bit.

I don't see how anyone can't like Larry. The fight between Hopkins and Wright was significant, but it was a poor one to watch. Even if you're more into the skill side of boxing than the brawling, that was an ugly display of clinching and dirty infighting. I'd much rather watch PBF do his science than Bernard Hopkins. And it's not like Manny doesn't have the credentials to back up his point about Hopkins and Wright not being able to cut it with the youngsters anymore. The guy flat out knows talent and neither guy looked great athletically in the fight.
hornitosmonster
I would like to see Big George make a return.
Don Flamenco
I hear you... Just listen to both of em' argue during the fight

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9T9WOILsZ0

"THEY'RE BOTH CHAMPIONS!!!" biggrin.gif
stateofthegame
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Jul 29 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]351627[/snapback]

Not true, Merchant always defended Hopkins especially in the Roy Jones arguments. I do not mind Merchant or Steward criticizing the fight. It is a lot better than Max Kellerman always trying to compare one guy with some one in the past. I mean he actually compared Winky to Sugar Ray Leonard at one point in the fight. HBO needs to just suck it up and fire that guy because no one likes him and having him and Lamply's two egos side by side is a disaster waiting to happen.
Method
Manny Steward does not know shit. One of THEE most overrated guys in the game. OF COURSE he's gonna say how horrible both guys looked....they both whuped his boy up pretty good. I recently read an article on Manny Steward, and he literally went through chapter and verse of his guys over the yearsz, and for EVERY guy he had, when the topic of their losses came up, he had an EXCUSE and a SCAPEGOAT for EVERY ONE. Tommy Hearns? It was the leg massage a day before the fight (PLEASE!?!?!). Oscar DLH? It was the other guy in camp. Wlad Klit? It was the co-trainer. Lennox Lewis vs Rachman? It was some other bullshit. This guy is a credit whore and a scape goat bandit.

Shifting gears, I think Teddy Atlas is one of the best in the game as far as breaking things down, analysis wise. Manny's garbage. Picked DLH to beat Hopkins citing DLH's "edge in power"????? as the reason. Say WHAT?

As for Larry, true he was on Team Hopkins during the Trinidad fight, but that's cuz Larry used to be a Philly writer and knew that Hopkins was not being given a fair shake. HOWEVER, Larry has had it in for Ex ever since Ex called Larry's bluff in the Hakkar post-fight interview. Ever since, Larry has taken every available shot at Hopkins he could. I had Hopkins/Wright 10-1-1 or 10-2 for Hopkins (I originally predicted an 8-4 W for Ex). First eight rounds were close, though. Tough to score. The championship rounds, hands down, went to Ex. A lot better fight, actionwise, than most expected. No problem paying for it. Two all time greats who are top 5 P4P. Can't beat that. Have no idea why so many cats are whining. Get a fucking job. LOL. If $50 for a fight takes you off your monthly budget? Let me break it to you like this -- You are fucking FAILING in life.

Larry said the same things about the younger guys being able to whip up on Hopkins YEARS ago after Bernard dispatched of Hakkar...picking DLH, Vargas and the like over Bernard, even urging them to move up. They did. They fell. Fuck the agendas. Last night was no different than Hopkins win over Keith Holmes, with Winky and Holmes starting to complain about dirty tactics BEFORE the fight, then whinin gto the ref all during the fight. After Hopkins beat Holmes, they all said the same kind of shit, and made him a 3-1 dog against Trinidad for it. Hopkins may be slipping, but it'll take someone kicking his ass to convince me. Sure as hell ain't gonna take Larry, Manny and Max's words for it. Max "Hopkins has never been know to box beautifully"...well, nigger, I don't know what ya'll were praising the Trinidad, DLH, and all the other non-foul filled boxing matches as. When you don't lose rounds, you are doing something right. Excellent footwork last night be the old man. Best in the biz.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Jul 29 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]351641[/snapback]
Hopkins/Wright was a horrible prizefight to really watch. It was aggrivating. I believe the right person won. But it was a mess. Merchant was probably STILL aggrivated a week later. I watched The Empire Strikes Back while they replayed that fight.

Empire Strikes Back. Good movie.

Bill The Butcher
What's up with Larry Merchant. I can't remember which fights, but I remember watching him and thinking, "Damn, this guy is really sounding like crap, he needs to retire." But now, he seems to be doing a lot better. Was he just too drunk, sick or tired or something in previous fights? I was actually feeling a little worried for the guy.
Bill The Butcher
I thought it was cool that they were mentioning old fighters in the Tacoma, WA area. Steward mentioned Brett Sommers (spelling?), I used to box off and on when I was 17 - 21 years old at this boxing gym in Everett, WA. Never competed. But Brett Sommers was the assistant trainer there.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jul 29 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]351654[/snapback]
Empire Strikes Back. Good movie.

haha. Yes IV, V, and VI were all stellar. III was also awesome. Empire Strikes back is a very dark one though. A bitter ending, I'm just glad I watched it at a time where I could watch Return of the Jedi the very next day. I really like III now. I just watched it agin the other day. I love when Palpatine told Anakin that the Jedi and Sith were alike in almost every aspect except the Sith does things for their own gain whereas the Jedi is selfless. This is just like the differences between Christianity and Satanism in a sense. But that is an ENTIRELY different thread. For some reason I have been big on the Star Wars series lately. Probably because they are all over the premium stations.

Maybe some would have been more appreciative of Larry had he just started talkin the politics of Start Wars ratherthan bash the Hopkins/Wright fight all night.
mnvkng76
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jul 29 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]351638[/snapback]
Teddy Atlas is garbage, I can't understand why you'd even compare Teddy favorably to anybody. The man ALWAYS has an agenda, he never just calls a fight like it's supposed to be called. Say what you want about Steward, but that motherfucker knows his shit.

As for Merchant, I can't stand his ass, nor can I stand Jim Lampley. I actually thought both Roy Jones and George Foreman were pretty good at commentating, as I'd prefer to hear fighters who have actually fought call fights, instead of shithead journalists who chug house jizz in between their homer commentary.

I like Atlas in small doses. Foreman was ALWAYS fun and I feel a pretty good commentator.
salvador
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jul 29 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]351638[/snapback]

Teddy Atlas is totally enthusiastic about boxing and he knows his shit as well as Steward or anyone else who has spent a lifetime in the sport and had success. The question isn't whether these guys know what they're talking about, it's how well they communicate that knowledge on the fly. Atlas sometimes seems to be a little in love with his earnest self image, but he does communicate well and he makes fights more exciting than most commentators.

And I assume that you meant to say "I'd prefer to hear fighters who have actually fought call fights, instead of shithead journalists who chug house jizz in between their homo commentary". That's pretty fuckin' funny. Are you a writer, or was that one straight from the heart?
24 A BRICK
Hopkins and Goldenboy promotions are lucky Merchant was not doing color or the ring interviews during that Hopkins-Winky PPV. Merchant would of ETHERED Hopkins and Goldenboy promotions for that travesty of an event. this is another thread where people emotions got involved with stupidity. yeah, I'm not a huge supporter of Larry Merchant or Lampey, but I respect them fools opinions over some of the hatemongers opinions we have here on this board. c'mon, this method guy is the most sensitive little kid ever when it comes to Hopkins...not boxing!...Hopkins! (for Christ sake!). Manny, Merchant and Lampey like it or not, said the TRUTH about the Hopkins-Winky fight. all of a sudden, because two P4P boxers stunk out the place we have to lie to ourselves and say it was classic fight(get that shit outtahere!).Hopkins pulled a John Ruiz to pull the win. 99.9% of boxing fans who saw the fight are saying the same shit. "the fight was a waste of money" and "the fight was a waste of time watching". when it comes to boxing, everything looks good on paper... when Hopkins name is not on it. I gave Hopkins his well deserve props for beating Tarver, so did the HBO team. they have no agenda against Hopkins, just opinions. that Hopkins-Wright fight was not SCIENCE...it was SCIENCE FICTION.
Yansoma
Sometimes Larry Merchant AND Jim Lampley get on my nerves with those completely baseless and out of touch explanations. I loved George because Lampley would say something like "____ is _____, he appears to be saying ______ to ____!" and Foreman would just be like ".....No, you'll see many fighters do _____ because" I give them credit because they have been doing it so long, but Roy Jones, etc were actually IN the ring doing it.
TheAmblingAlp
[original thought deleted by forum tool]

Thought I'd correct you...
Warlord
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 30 2007, 12:41 AM) [snapback]351693[/snapback]
And I assume that you meant to say "I'd prefer to hear fighters who have actually fought call fights, instead of shithead journalists who chug house jizz in between their homo commentary". That's pretty fuckin' funny. Are you a writer, or was that one straight from the heart?

A writer who writes straight from the heart. laugh.gif
Milk Dud
God forgive Larry for actually talking about ummmmmm boxing!!!

how could he not talk about this fight? It was on HBO the network he works for, it was the week before, and it involved two guys he has interviewed a ton before.

and the fight was a shell of a fight they could have waged had it been 2002-2004

WolfishPromistah
To be honest, I have never really understood the resentment towards Merchant, not just in the game but from viewers I've spoken to. Speaking of as much, I tend to meet a helluva lot of people who still hold things against Merchant for some past words he's had towards, for instance, Muhammad Ali...near the end of his career.

For no real reason besides the love of a fighter in the ring, to get to the point, there seems this hatred of Merchant that includes personal attacks (drinking habits, not enough rest in older age and such). With what he goes through in this regard, I feel bad for the guy. And it's not as if he doesn't touch the main focus on most any discussion, asking pertinent questions that cross the minds of possible multitudes. At any rate, from what I saw in this fight, I tend to agree that Bernard won rightfully. But what is undisputable in my mind, besides my clear opinion that he should have won, is this fight did not hold much of the grandest excitement we love to see, specifically in the way sweetness is looked at in relation to sweet science.

Still, it is a win for Hopkins, which is what the man knows how to do in bounds of the game. In other words, if the ref ain't calling what he doesn't see, I can agree (with objectivity in mind) there's nothing illegal he can therefore note; although there may arguably be -- just depends on the identity of the main person seeing it.

Truthfully, I think that's something fighters need to learn to keep in mind against Hopkins. You gotta be better than him at his game; of course, that's easier said than done. He's great at it, so good luck for trying -- hehe.
JD
I ok with Merchant.

I may not agree with him in many cases, but the dude has seen it all and calls it how HE sees it; regardless whether you agree or not. I always got a kick out of his long delivery, that always had to make you wonder if he really believed his words were as important as he was making them sound.

The dude adds color.
Hodge
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Jul 31 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]351811[/snapback]
To be honest, I have never really understood the resentment towards Merchant, not just in the game but from viewers I've spoken to. Speaking of as much, I tend to meet a helluva lot of people who still hold things against Merchant for some past words he's had towards, for instance, Muhammad Ali...near the end of his career.

To me, it seems as if Merchant has been a real douche since his contract renewal. IMO the glass is always half empty. I can't really think of him saying anything positive about any fighter since before "The World Awaits." He's always saying the how bad the fighting is, the ref giving too much time to recover, etc... He's a respected person in the broadcast media and should keep something good in the stash, since he's a figurehead of the sport so to speak.

I like Manny, but he does a lot of stating of the obvious. I mean everyone can see Margarito eating jabs all night from his taller opponent, you don't have to say it over and over again. He is on his p's and q's when it comes to the fighters though. If they were in the amatuers, he knows who they are and what they are capable of. He's seen it all, so he gets somewhat of a pass.
Milk Dud
I am the opposite. I think Manny is wack and really only acknowledges one style of fighting as acceptable....the one he trains. Otherwise, he faults everyone he deems not as good as the fighters he has.

Merchant is crusty as fuck but I would rather have his honesty than Manny's agenda any day
The CEO
I'm a Merchant man...he's an original that will be often imitated but never duplicated in the decades to come...

and Manny...lol...fuckin' helmet hair...fuckin' Tommy Hearns broken record ass....well...he's knowledgable alright...I'll give him that...but he's also a biased JACKASS....
Don Flamenco
It's sad watching Merchant getting older.

During the coast to coast simulcast during the Margarito-Williams fight, I actually felt uncomfortable for him when he started stuttering his words during the pre-fights. Here was Max kellerman, the guy that would eventually take his job, just getting finished in New Jersey, and now it was Larry Merchant’s turn on the mic, as he always did, and it actually seemed like the old man was folding or getting old all of a sudden under the pressure.

All Merchant fans will have to accept what HBO is doing is the right thing. They are slowly easing Max Kellerman in to fill his position in the future... this is inevitable. Once he is gone, we will all miss him for sure... even the ones who say they would rather have a real boxer manning the mic. Wasn't it Howard Cosell that talked about "jockocracy," the philosophy of ex-athletes as announcers that permeates the booth? Larry, just like Howard, filled the broadcast with intelligence and analysis. Just being in the ring does not make one a journalist / broadcaster. If that is the case, then we should start looking at all the sports reporters that never played the game / stepped in the ring. That's the reason why I love Merchant with his long drawn out speech during the prefight almost sounding like poetry. I liked watching him amuse himself at his work when he was done like he was so proud of himself... I always get a chuckle. And then there is Foreman who IS the ex bozo athlete who would sometimes say some very peculiar things, but you were never sure to doubt him cause, well, he IS George Foreman. The best was when these two would go at it. Both from two different worlds of sports casting and it would make for good television.

I certainly knew I would miss big George when he left... I know I'll miss Larry when he decides to leave.
Southeastpaw
cray.gif cray.gif cray.gif cray.gif cray.gif

lol. I actually do feel the same way as you do Don.
fantasiabruja
The HBO crew is fine just the way it is the only guy that seems out of place is papas. The fight was garbage period there was no sweet sience in that fight it was f.....g boring. They made Ricky Hatton look good.
BrutalBodyShots
Steward bothers the shit out of me.

Has the guy ever made it through a fight without saying "going down the stretch?"

In one of the recent fights (could have been Hopkins-Wright actually) he said something like "if things keep going this way he's going to have a hard time going down the stretch" or something and it was at 2:20 of the FIRST ROUND. Barely 30 seconds into the fight and he starts speculating about what he feels is going to happen 30 minutes later. He pulls that irritating shit and it happens all the time, usually in the first or second round.

Method
Totally...and he's ALWAYS hedging his asserions for fear of eating crow -- take the Castillo Hatton fight as a prime example. He shit all over Castillo for the first two rounds, a little too prematurely for the assertiveness he was delivering with. Then, in the third, when Castillo started to come back, he started hedging. then, with the knockout, it was right back to his original statements "see, I knew it all along".

Like I said, the guy literally has an excuse/scapegoat/alibie for EVERY shortcoming he has been associated with. I have been saying this for a while, and it is my own personal opinion, but I feel he's grossly overrated. That does not mean I have anything against any of yall that feel otherwise.
Kijis Konar
Merchant is the most honest voice in boxing.
Method
Yeah. OK.
Big Slim Sweet
Count me in as someone who thinks Steward is absolute garbage as an announcer. Nine times out of ten it seems all he does is discredit the fighters he's watching - and subsequently the fights themselves - saying things like their legs aren't there aymore, they're lucky they're not fighting someone else, blah blah blah. He completely interferes with the broadcast, IMO.

I loved when Merchant actually put him in check during the first Mosley-Vargas fight, responding to Manny's whines about Fernando with something like "Yeah but if he did that he wouldn't be Fernando, he'd be someone else." Larry's a grizzled old bastard and his biases are showing more and more but he's still my favorite member of the WCB team by far. I also like Bob Papa a lot on BAD.

Manny should stick to training tall, rangy, weak-chinned fighters and doing jello pudding pop commercials, Cosby-looking dumbass.
WolfishPromistah
Brutal! – I know what you mean about Manny with that “down the stretch”; in fact, I “believe” Merchant, speaking of him, may have called him on it too, adding something like it was much TOO early in the fight to be saying as much – something to that effect.

And Method, referencing the “hedging bets” is also hilarious. I see him do that all the time, and it is very annoying. That’s the specific thing I’ve always told people I hated about Manny Steward. You know how someone gives that impression he thinks he’s a slickster? That mothaf__ who WILL fart at your dinner table then point the finger? He’s HIM! LoL!

Oh, and I forgot I gotta give props to whomever it was that had me rolling – talking about Manny’s hair and how he basically wants to repetitively live his years with Tommy Hearns. That shyt made me laugh and lose my drink. Good one.
Method
I love the fact that when asked about watching the fight in retrospect, Manny says "I can't watch the fight".

Just further proof that the guy can't shoulder any fucking blame whatsoever, let alone deal with the prospect of failure.

Funny, because Tommy is the only guy that Manny ever brought up himself. Everyone else he inherited.

Regardless, he has an excuse for EVERY shortfall, and it is NEVER on him...

Tommy? The Masseuse

Oscar? The co-trainer

Lennox getting starched by Rahman? Lennox

Wladdy? Hugo Boss

Jermain? Lou Dibella's match making
neophyte7
merchant is an asshole... I remember him condescendingly in a biogted fashion making fun of Julio Gonzales when he fought Roy Jones. He told a story abut him making his first ever 100 dollars in america picking garlic... he ended his subtle bigotry by stating with a smirk " BOY, DID HE PICK THAT GARLIC!!"

MERCHANT SEEMS TO ME TO BE AN IDIOT. how can someone with supposed great boxing insight continuously bash Wright, Hopkins, Mayweather... These styles of fighting and fighters have existed since puglisim started. Just because guys do not fight in the manner that you feel is exciting bashing them while supposedly being one with great insight in the game seems hypocritical.

emmanuel steward is an idiot who switches lanes in his commentary of a match continously-- his recent comments about Taylor giving a great performance coming against Pavlik is laughable.. he predicts a taylor KO (LMAO). Taylor could not even stun Cory Spinks
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 4 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]352414[/snapback]
merchant is an asshole... I remember him condescendingly in a biogted fashion making fun of Julio Gonzales when he fought Roy Jones. He told a story abut him making his first ever 100 dollars in america picking garlic... he ended his subtle bigotry by stating with a smirk " BOY, DID HE PICK THAT GARLIC!!"

He's an asshole for stating a known fact??

So the guy picked garlic, so the fuck what? Why so thin-skinned?

sticks and stones.....sticks and stones. Damn do I long for those times.
neophyte7
Stating a known fact is one thing... but doing it in a manner that borders along making a joke of one who is poor and disadvantaged is another... It was evident that Merchant was being snide and condescending with his comment, " boy did he pick that Garlic"...

Merchant came off like a pompous aristocrat. He seems to get pleasure out of mentioning fighterS having 13 kids out of wedlock, going to prison, picking Garlic, etc...

Some may not have the gall to say anything about it, but me I AM EDUCATED, CONSCIOUS AND grew up in Detroit... and I will call a cracker out when he is coming out his mouth the wrong way--- the same with Hopkins. he has the gall to stand up to Merchant. I remember when Hopkins was being bashed for calling out DLH and stating that he was looking to fight smaller men. HOPKINS TOLD HIS ARROGANT ASS, " STOP BEING IGNORANT LARRY" AND LET HIM KNOW THAT THERE ONCE WAS NO JUNIOR MIDDLE DIVISION AND THAT THESE CHALLENGES WERe common in the history of the Sport.

the comment about Gonzales seemed reminscent of times when bigots would get together and shoot the breeze..."BOY DID HE PICK THAT GARLIC!!!"... I CANNOT BELIEVE NO ONE ELSE CAUGHT THAT

HE SEEMED LIKE HE WANTED TO REPLACE THE WORD "GARLIC" WITH "COTTON"

I CAN see through Merchant. He has attempted to create an atmosphere where boxers are hated and sluggers more appreciated. I understand to a degree because he works for HBO, a media giant that attempts to get viewers to tune in.

HBO= hypocritical boxing overlords
JD
LOL...

So let me understand. You are upset by Larry Merchant commenting on the fact that Julio Gonzalez picked garlic for his first $100 when he came to the US, and you feel his is ignorant and bigoted...thus, you are calling him out; in fact, you are ready to "call a cracker out".

I hate to break this to you, but for as much as you hate ignorance and bigotry...you exude both.

Too funny. laugh.gif
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 5 2007, 07:30 AM) [snapback]352675[/snapback]
He seems to get pleasure out of mentioning fighterS having 13 kids out of wedlock, going to prison....

Positive traits to be sure...
stateofthegame
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 2 2007, 12:24 AM) [snapback]352029[/snapback]
Jermain? Lou Dibella's match making

Meth

That is funny because the last thing that I sent into Boxingtalk, which never got up on the site by the way, was about how it was actually Manny that chose Cory Spinks and not Dibella or anyone else. According to co-trainer Ozell Nelson, it was Manny that chose Spinks. There were three names to chose from. Miranda, Pavlik, and Spinks.

They claim Pavlik turned down the fight because of money. I heard they offered him like 700,000, but was offering Sergio Mora somewhere near 2 mil, so if that is true I would have said no as well. They never offered Miranda the fight, and according to Nelson, he took the three names to Steward who immediately said lets fight Spinks, then during the fight he bitched all night long about the fight.

Steward is very overratted in my opinion.
neophyte7
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 5 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]352704[/snapback]
LOL...

So let me understand. You are upset by Larry Merchant commenting on the fact that Julio Gonzalez picked garlic for his first $100 when he came to the US, and you feel his is ignorant and bigoted...thus, you are calling him out; in fact, you are ready to "call a cracker out".

I hate to break this to you, but for as much as you hate ignorance and bigotry...you exude both.

Too funny. laugh.gif

I am not upset... just simply bringing something to the light. I am not a bigot or a racist, but have come across many white men who in fact are and they are very subtle...THE SUBTELTY comes as a result of changing times and that fact that blatant white racism takes a back seat to the covert. Today things are shrouded in a manner that only wide awake people who are not deaf dumb and blind can see. I had this discussion with some white men on my job and they saw where I was coming from. It is all good though... This is America...

back to the real issue...Great Boxing will go on long after Merchan't ass is in the grave... Fighters like Hopkins, Wright and Mayweather will continue to be superior to face fighters long after his ass in the grave- these types will also continue to enjoy longer careers and maximize their ability to make money.

maybe some people have a problem seeing guys get rich while making it look easy compared to guys like we saw last night Marquez and Vasquez who run the risk of dying each time they step foot in a ring

Hopkins exposed Merchant after the Hakkar bout... Hopkins told Larry that his check was already issued and that like it or not he was getting paid... Merchant replied with something to the effect that it "It will not happen again" Hopkins went on to say thanks to merchant for revealing that he (Merchant)had more to do with the sport in terms of influence than just being an analyst...

You had to be wide awake to catch that...
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 5 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]352750[/snapback]
I am not a bigot or a racist, but have come across many white men who in fact are and they are very subtle...

I am not a bigot or a racist, but have come across many black men who in fact are and they aren't very subtle...
neophyte7
Oh really... I guess it is a case of hate THAT HATE PRODUCED--- chickens coming home to roost

MERRCHANT IS TRASH AND NEEDS TO BE PUT IN THE TRASH CAN- his old ass is Finito. My boy Hopkins is still good enough to compete. mERCHANT'S commentary is reduced to bitching and complaining---Merchant sounds like an old cranky fool who gets upset if he does not get a chance to see a brawl. He should not complain at all it is not like HE PAYS FOR TICKETS...
JD
I think I shot too high with my initial post.

Let me put it to you this way...when you speak out against what you deem to be bigotry, racism and ignorance in one breath - and than, in the next breath you use the term "cracker" to refer to white people, it makes you a hypocrite and undermines your initial message.

In short, it makes you look bigoted, racist and ignorant.
neophyte7
Sir how old are you??... cracker does not refer to all white people... it refers to a certain type of white person... I think most intelligent people white and black who know the history OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY understand this.

NO DISREPECT TO ANYONE EXCEPT THOSE WHO FIT THE SHOE

JD
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 5 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]352825[/snapback]
Sir how old are you??... cracker does not refer to all white people... it refers to a certain type of white person... I think most intelligent people white and black who know the history OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY understand this.
NO DISREPECT TO ANYONE EXCEPT THOSE WHO FIT THE SHOE

I am 32, and when I see or hear someone say "I will call a cracker out when he is coming out his mouth the wrong way", I deem that to be racist and bigoted comment. To me, when you are addressing an issue with something you deem racist, all I am saying is that your position will have a lot more credibility if you don't follow it up with your own bigoted or racist or ignorant remark...that is really what I was getting at.

And please...don't call me sir...I am only 32, dude. laugh.gif

neophyte7
oF COURSE. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BY YUR RESPONSE THAT YOU WERE A KID...Keep living youngster... I am not looking for credibility on these boards... I am simply enjoying the right to freedom of expression. If you don't know the meaning of cracker then you most definitely have some growing up to do. Perceptions are built upon experiences and understanding. Your perception of me exuding racism and bigotry stems from your lack of experience and knowledge of history here in America.

AND FOR THE record I respect your dialogue and am not trying to disrespect you... i know how it works once you ARE PERCEIVED AS FIGHTING AND getting into it with moderators... THEY BAN YOUR ASS WITHOUT NOTICE...

"Down goes Merchant, Down goes Merchant"... I would love to see Merchant getting up off of the canvas.

Emmanuel Steward is pathetic... He had the gall to defend Jermain Taylor's performance by saying, "not even Sugar Ray Robinson would look good against Cory Spinks"... You have got to be kidding me LMAO... HBO needs to get some fresh new blood
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.