Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morales vs. Diaz: Official Preview Thread/Poll
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Admin notes: Preview and poll added to thread and pinned up. Can Morales capture his fourth world title? Or will David Diaz send "The Warrior" into retirement?

My boy Terrible's last fight. He always wanted to be the first Mexican to win titles in 4 weight classes. Hope he pulls it off. Diaz is no Pacquiao...but he is a pretty tough guy. WAR MORALES
hardhead
I didn't know this was 135. I haven't seen much of Diaz, I want to say that I've seen him earlier on in his career. Don't know how much Morales has left, Diaz aint no Pacqiuo that's for sure and if Morales has anything left he should give Diaz all he can handle at the least. Then again Morales didn't do to well when he jumped up to 135.

Jack 1000
Thanks George for posting!

Will make this a preview thread and add a poll.

Jack
Jack 1000
I am going with my heart instead of my head and picking Morales by SD. Diaz is a good solid fighter, but he's no Barrera or Pacquiao and I think Erik MIGHT have enough left in the tank for one last good fight. Diaz is the perfect opponent. He's no bum, but he's no world-beater either. If it's close, the judges might give it to Morales, because of him being the more recognizable and marketable fighter. (The WBC doesn't like Mexican Latin/American fighters with strong connections to them to lose.) This is partially why Erik was able to get this final title shot. I hope that the decision will be fair. I would like to see Erik win, and will be rooting for him.

Jack
NickBarker
The WBC does love them some Hispanics. I'm not really sure how to lean in this fight. I got burned picking the bigger name fighter on his ostensible retirement fight with Gatti/Gomez. However, Gatti was never Morales. On the other hand, I'd imagine Diaz might be a notch above Gomez, even though the latter impressed me during his fight. I see either some sort of close decision for Morales or him going out on his shield in a mid round stoppage.

To be honest, this fight doesn't even really concern me, though I imagine it will be entertaining regardless of outcome. I'm going to watch this to see Ulises Solis, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. Those are the attractions, to me. I really hope Juanma becomes a huge fighter; there's something about him that I really like.
BigG
Watch out for Rodel Mayol....He might upset Solis.
hardhead
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Jul 31 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]351853[/snapback]
The WBC does love them some Hispanics. I'm not really sure how to lean in this fight. I got burned picking the bigger name fighter on his ostensible retirement fight with Gatti/Gomez. However, Gatti was never Morales. On the other hand, I'd imagine Diaz might be a notch above Gomez, even though the latter impressed me during his fight. I see either some sort of close decision for Morales or him going out on his shield in a mid round stoppage.

To be honest, this fight doesn't even really concern me, though I imagine it will be entertaining regardless of outcome. I'm going to watch this to see Ulises Solis, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. Those are the attractions, to me. I really hope Juanma becomes a huge fighter; there's something about him that I really like.

The Lopez and Solis fights are interesting but the Jr fight isn't for me at this point. It's no different then his whole career, sacrificial lambs to the slaughter....I give him a pass for this fight because there seems to be some real talk of him fighting Gomez, which I think is the perfect progression forward for Jr at this point and plus they want to keep him busy as a young prospect...

Now when he fights Gomez that will definitely be a fight that I'm interested in, especially since Gomez was calling him out, which I thought was great and refreshing, because usually fighters give the politically correct answers all the time...
JD
Morales is going to get worked.
BrutalBodyShots
I will be rooting for Morales so chances are he'll lose.

BrutalBodyShots
I still think Morales is capable of beating 90% of the guys out there but anyone with speed at this stage of the game (like Pac and Raheem to some extent) will hold an advantage over the slowing Morales.

Kijis Konar
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 31 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]351887[/snapback]
Morales is going to get worked.

Exactly. Diaz will beat him up good. Morales has absolutely nothing left.
Milk Dud
Morales doesn't have the legs to keep him upright through this whole fight even if he doesn't have to stuggle to make 130. Diaz is a pretty sizable guy having fought at 140 before winning his belt. He is nothing special, getting KO'd by Holt and losing to Santa Cruz before he gassed and got caught, is the only thing that Morales has going for him. In the end too much size for Erik to overcome.

Diaz TKO6
NickBarker
Even though Morales looked pretty bad against Pacquiao in the third fight, it's easy for someone to look slow and spent compared to the dynamo that is Manny. He was still able to box fairly effectively with Pacman when he wasn't being swarmed. I see him being able to get by on remaining talent and experience.

Hardhead, I agree about Chavez. Obviously this is another in a long line of mismatches, but I do believe it's justified given his lack of amateur experience. He just has too many fans from his father and curious onlookers to not televise him. I sure hope he does make that fight with Gomez, it would be a perfect increase in difficulty.
hardhead
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Aug 1 2007, 03:28 AM) [snapback]351930[/snapback]
Even though Morales looked pretty bad against Pacquiao in the third fight, it's easy for someone to look slow and spent compared to the dynamo that is Manny. He was still able to box fairly effectively with Pacman when he wasn't being swarmed. I see him being able to get by on remaining talent and experience.

Hardhead, I agree about Chavez. Obviously this is another in a long line of mismatches, but I do believe it's justified given his lack of amateur experience. He just has too many fans from his father and curious onlookers to not televise him. I sure hope he does make that fight with Gomez, it would be a perfect increase in difficulty.

I see the point about experience but when you're destroying the same level guys in under 2 rounds, there has to be some level of progression, but I believe that the Gomez fight is the perfect step and I hope they take it.

I really have never seen Diaz fight so really don't know how good of a fighter he is, the thing is Morales is fighting to far up in weight and if this guy Diaz is anything he has to beat Morales decisively...

I'm thinking about buying this but that price of 45 is getting me, I don't know if i'm going to pull the trigger, there's no question IF I had Showtime I wouldn't even think about getting this so It's either pay for the PPV or watch nothing this weekend.... dntknw.gif
Big Slim Sweet
I think Morales still has just enough left in the tank to beat a slow plodding slugger like David Diaz.
kidbazooka1
Morales has been done as a great fighter for a few years now but diaz is nothing special so I would have to say this fight is a toss up.
Imperius3
I find it very hard to pick Morales in this one.

I think Morales is done now. He has lost 4 of his last 5 bouts, each of the losses getting more brutal. Morales is now fighting at 135 against a larger, aggressive fighter. Morales is simply more shopworn, and I don't think he has enough left to handle an aggressive onslaught.

I will be rooting for Morales, but I have learned not to hold on to fighters that have shown to be past it.

Diaz TKO 8
NickBarker
Fitz, Raheem is the kind of guy who can make a lot of people look bad. He's fast and slick and fights with a terrible, defensive style. I'm not going to argue that Morales has dropped off quite a bit. I think you're right that the performance in the third fight is at least as much Morales' decline as it was Pacquiao's ascension. I don't have enough experience with Diaz to say whether he has enough to measure up to the task of taking out Morales. It's a very good point you make about his resiliency. However, I think that was something particular to Pacquiao. He knew he could not win the fight. I don't believe that Diaz will be tough enough to put that in his mind like Manny did. If he does, though, then you're definitely onto something.
The Original MrFactor
Should be quick. Diaz swarms Morales and mercifully KOs him in 2.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think Diaz is going to win a hard fought decision over Morales. Morales is at the tail end of his career, and he'll try hard like usual. He'll go to war with Diaz, but Diaz is going to be too strong and powerful for Morales. Morales is a tough dude, and he'll land his fair share of shots, but it wont be enough. I think Diaz will win by margins of 116-112 or something like that. Should be a really good fight. By the way who's announcing the fight? Is it the regular HBOPPV announcers, or somebody else? I noticed HBO didn't do a countdown show for this one.
Kyle
BrutalBodyShots
Morales could get stopped similarly to Gatti getting stopped by Gomez... almost like a mercy stoppage late. Although of course I would expect Morales to be more competitive prior to that.

T-MONEY
any weight in pics?
T-MONEY
im real surpise how alot of folks are giveing up on Morales,
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 3 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]352313[/snapback]
Can you blame us? He has looked like complete shit in his last 3 outings.

His last 3 outings weren't against David Diaz. Its not like this fight is against the top 2 Diaz's in th division.

I think Morales outworks him for a UD.
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Aug 3 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]352320[/snapback]
His last 3 outings weren't against David Diaz. Its not like this fight is against the top 2 Diaz's in th division.

I think Morales outworks him for a UD.

I feel those picking Morales are basing their pick on wishful thinking- something like Gatti vs. Gomez. We have seen Morales steady decline since Fall 05, when he looked lethargic and out of shape against a B- fighter in Raheem, then he gets brutally stopped in 10 by Pacman and in Fall 06 we see a physically weak Morales with no legs and, most importantly, NO WILL. The man is not only physically shot, HE IS DONE MENTALLY. The Morales of 5 years ago would've NEVER quit like that- this version of Morales is not even willing to withstand punishment as he used to.

I mean, Erik deserves all the love he's getting, but we need to be realistic here- the man is completely shot and tomorrow it will be evident.
hardhead
Barrera/Morales I is ON Demand HBO, I think I might go watch and get my early fix on.

I kind of leaning towards Morales, because I'm not sure how good Diaz is, I know he's a bigger fighter and Morales is pretty much done(he quit against Pac) but I have a feeling he's got a little something left to pull out this fight and go out on top....Morales SD
BigG
I feel Raheem's style was all wrong for Morales.....I thought Morales looked ok in the 2nd Pacquiao, but totally finished and washed up in the 3rd.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 4 2007, 02:18 AM) [snapback]352350[/snapback]
This pretty much sums everything up. This is what I have been saying for so long. Morales would never have done this years ago. Why don't people understand this?

To some extent I agree with what you're saying but, I just don't think David Diaz is the man to retire him. He doesn't do anything well enough to totally trouble El Terrible.

EM by UD.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 3 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]352326[/snapback]
I feel those picking Morales are basing their pick on wishful thinking- something like Gatti vs. Gomez. We have seen Morales steady decline since Fall 05, when he looked lethargic and out of shape against a B- fighter in Raheem, then he gets brutally stopped in 10 by Pacman and in Fall 06 we see a physically weak Morales with no legs and, most importantly, NO WILL. The man is not only physically shot, HE IS DONE MENTALLY. The Morales of 5 years ago would've NEVER quit like that- this version of Morales is not even willing to withstand punishment as he used to.

I still think Morales' decline has been slow and steady since about 2000... I think Barrera took a piece out of Morales in their first fight and to me Morales has been losing a little bit more here and there ever since then. His decline has become more rapid since 2005 or so, but it has been evident for 7 years IMO.

WolfishPromistah
I wish Erik M. would have retired after his last fight with Manny Pac; that's all I have to say. Looks like he just needs another of those lessons in career timing (meaning it's time to give it up for good)...like Gatti. [shrugz]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.