Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holyfield getting his shot
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
buford54
So, he's now facing Ibragimov because Chagaev got sidelined w/ some illness.
I haven't seen Sultan yet. Is he any good? Does Holy even have a shot?
Most importantly...will Holy retire if he loses?
salvador
I haven't seen Holyfield fight since that totally depressing performance against Larry Donald, so I have no idea what he's got left. That said, Ibragimov is a relatively small (220 pounds) and very beatable "champion" who looked very ordinary against Ray Austin and Shannon Briggs.

To me, the question is whether or not Holyfield will retire if he wins or if he really wants to be undisputed.
Jack 1000
While I don't believe Holyfield should be fighting anymore, I have heard what has been said above. Sultan is ordinary, Holyfield will probably lose a UD, but at least this "champion" poses the least health risk for him.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
I didn't think Sultan looked good at all against Austin. I have not seen his fight with Briggs. Anyway he should beat Holyfield, but I'll root for Holyfield to win because that's the only way we've got a chance at seeing him retire. If he loses, his "quest" for the heavyweight championship will continue.

BGv2.0
Holyfield has looked much better in his last 4 fights than he did with Toney and Donald....in those fights he looked tired and would not throw punches....he claims it was a bad shoulder....maybe....because in his last 4 fights he has thrown punches and combos and was still doing so in the late rounds as well.

I myself do not see Sultan as any more special or talented than say....Fres....who Holyfield UD'd last year. We all know he can take a shot and can give one as well as he has floored all of his opponents at least once in this comeback....some multiple times....I think he has 7 KD's in these last 4 fights.

We all know Sultan can be lured into a fire fight.....he was with Austin and was hurt when it took place....

I think this is a VERY winnable fight for Holyfield....for sure with the determination he should have to prove everybody wrong....and to become a 5 time HW champion.

I have said that Holyfield has a shot with any of the "champions" EXCEPT Wlad....that being said....even if he shows a good account of himself in a loss...he would most likely be able to get a shot at one of the other guys.

I honestly think that Holyfield is the type of guy that will have one last giant moment before his career is over....people can dislike him for staying in.....scream for his retirement....whatever.....but you have to admit in this dredfully BORING era of HW's....a legit win by Holyfield would be awsome!

I for one hope he gets it!

BrutalBodyShots
It's tough not to root for a guy like Holyfield, even if he should have hung them up years ago.

TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 2 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]352158[/snapback]
Holyfield has looked much better in his last 4 fights than he did with Toney and Donald....

Of course he has....look who he's fucking fought! hahaha
buford54
In his defense, he beat Fres O'Quendo, whom many believe beat Chris Byrd, and as boring as he is does have some level of skill.
Tha Docta
i hope holyfield head butts his way to becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion. he has one of the best counter head butts that ive ever seen.
HaydelHammer
Holyfield KO by 5.

Evander will turn back the clock one last time.

black eye.gif Yes, i've bumped my head pretty bad. lol.
BigG
Sultan by UD....Holyfield will give it a pretty good effort.
NickBarker
This fight will go a long way in giving many an idea of just where the heavyweight division is right now. It's obviously fallacious to deduce the competition level of a division of boxing now relative to a decade or so ago based on one fight, but if Sultan cannot take out Holyfield in an uncontroversial style then the mockery that has been made of contemporary heavyweights may be more justified than I imagined.
NickBarker
By the way, I'm really disappointed that the unification bout is not going through. I was very interested in seeing two, smaller heavyweights go at it.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Aug 2 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]352164[/snapback]
Of course he has....look who he's fucking fought! hahaha

As opposed to what? A draw with Austin, a KO of Mora and a UD with a stationary Briggs? Name one HW that has done more in a year than Evander Holyfield?

I'll save you the time....NONE!

Holyfield has fought 4 times in just a little over a year.....that alone is more activity than many....add to the fact that 2 of the 4 were named opposition in Savarese and Fres and that one was a much younger guy in Maddalone....

Nobody else has done anything close to that.

Give the man a break.....what else does a 40+ Ex champ have to do in today's AWFUL division to warrent a shot? He could have fought the likes of Mora, Al Cole and Sykes....

I don't care what anybody says....Fres, Maddalone and Savarese are much better than some of the stiffs they could have lined up.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 3 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]352295[/snapback]
As opposed to what? A draw with Austin, a KO of Mora and a UD with a stationary Briggs? Name one HW that has done more in a year than Evander Holyfield?

I'll save you the time....NONE!
Holyfield has fought 4 times in just a little over a year.....that alone is more activity than many....add to the fact that 2 of the 4 were named opposition in Savarese and Fres and that one was a much younger guy in Maddalone....
Nobody else has done anything close to that.
Give the man a break.....what else does a 40+ Ex champ have to do in today's AWFUL division to warrent a shot? He could have fought the likes of Mora, Al Cole and Sykes....

I don't care what anybody says....Fres, Maddalone and Savarese are much better than some of the stiffs they could have lined up.

Save the bullshit for someone who buys it.
Kijis Konar
If Holy wins this, then we should see Peter-Holyfield for the WBC and WBO belts.

That would be awesome to watch. smile.gif
mnvkng76
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 3 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]352328[/snapback]
If Holy wins this, then we should see Peter-Holyfield for the WBC and WBO belts.

I think the fight is winnable for holy, as I do think that Sultan is about on par with Fres.

Holy vrs Peter?!! Dude, do you WANT Evander eating his meals through a straw for the rest of his life?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 3 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]352328[/snapback]

You are an evil man.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Aug 3 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]352323[/snapback]
Save the bullshit for someone who buys it.

The only person slinging bullshit...is you....like I said....name me JUST ONE HW that has done anything close to that in 1 year?

I don't think you can.
LeeGenius
Mr "Fields" is jacked up on Roids like he has been his entire career -- which is a sham by the way. he is the Barry Bonds of boxing. Dudes a disgrace, a liar and a fraud in every way.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I have been on the boards to suggesting Holyfield will lose this fight that fight and the other fight since his come back, simply because of how he did look against Donald and Toney and Byrd, BUT! in his last four fights the man has shown he had something wrong with him in those other fights, maybe it was the level of comp we dont know that yet but Oquendo isnt a push over and he is the kind of Guy that would give an aged Holyfield trouble but Evander won that fight and it was pretty clear win, since the first round Knock down Oquendo went into survival mode from that point on.
his last fight with Saverese was a pretty good fight actually Holyfield dominatated but he was fought back as well he took some big shots but fired right back with his own. out of all of the Champions this is the most beatable one, I fully expect an Evander performance in this fight and a Evander upset again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.