Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOLYFIELD: “TELL THE PEOPLE TO GO AND GET THE PPV. I’M GOING TO DO IT!”
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
HOLYFIELD: “TELL THE PEOPLE TO GO AND GET THE PPV. I’M GOING TO DO IT!”

Shortly after it was announced that he would be replacing Ruslan Chagaev to face WBO heavyweight champion Sultan Ibragimov on October 13th in Moscow, Russia, four-time heavyweight world champion Evander Holyfield talked about the importance of getting the title shot and becoming heavyweight champion of the world once again. Check it out!

click here for more
JD
PPV?

Showtime picked this up when it was Chagaev - Ibragimov, so I am assuming they will still pick it up...no?

Boss Hogg
It would be a disgrace to the public if they made this PPV just because ol Holy is involved now. Shame, Shame, Shame....
BGv2.0
Holy's last few fights have been PPV.....with the likes of Savarese and Maddalone....there is no way a title fight with one of the champions in Russia with Holy is NOT going to be PPV.
BrutalBodyShots
Yeah, obviously Holyfield would make it a PPV fight.
TheAmblingAlp
I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

If I do watch the travesty, it'll be via stream.
hardhead
QUOTE(Boss Hogg @ Aug 2 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]352156[/snapback]
It would be a disgrace to the public if they made this PPV just because ol Holy is involved now. Shame, Shame, Shame....

I agree this is fucking ridiculous, even though I think Holyfield has a decent shot at beating any of these fighters not named Klitchko IMO....

Boss Hogg
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 2 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]352167[/snapback]
I agree this is fucking ridiculous, even though I think Holyfield has a decent shot at beating any of these fighters not named Klitchko IMO....

Agreed!

Holyfield is a legend twenty-four hours a day and three-hundred and sixty five days a year. Just because Murad had Holy's last couple of fights on PPV, doesn't justify this Championship fight being PPV by any stretch. Seven or eight years ago maybe, but now, you gotta be kidding me.

Does the American general public even know who Igragimov is.....let me answer "Ahhh.....no" laugh.gif
Kijis Konar
Go Ruslan!
Kijis Konar
Go Ruslan!
Kijis Konar
Go Ruslan!
CyruS
So Evander is going to do it? Well....

WindyCityP
I think Evans Field assumed the fight between Ruslan vs Igor was PPV from the start.
Bill The Butcher
Now if it was to unify the heavyweight division, then yeah, I think it should be PPV and I would most definitely order it. But not just for the WBO title. Sorry WBO, no offense.

I have a question, even though I like Evander Holyfield, I honestly have been ignoring topics relating to his comeback in becoming the heavyweight champion again. But does he want to just get any ol' title and then retire? Or does he actually want to unify the division and then retire?
doomeddisciple
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Aug 2 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]352188[/snapback]
Now if it was to unify the heavyweight division, then yeah, I think it should be PPV and I would most definitely order it. But not just for the WBO title. Sorry WBO, no offense.

I have a question, even though I like Evander Holyfield, I honestly have been ignoring topics relating to his comeback in becoming the heavyweight champion again. But does he want to just get any ol' title and then retire? Or does he actually want to unify the division and then retire?

Unify.

Wont be paying. Would still love to see him win against Ruslan, but really don't want to see him fight a Klit.

BGv2.0
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Aug 2 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]352188[/snapback]
But does he want to just get any ol' title and then retire? Or does he actually want to unify the division and then retire?

I honestly think that's questionable. He had been saying Unify for some time now....BUT...last year he gave himself a timeline to get the job done...and I have also noticed him state "HW champion" instead of "undisputed HW champion" when giving interviews. I think if he could capture one....he would be very happy....I also think he would be VERY quick to set up a unifying match with one of the other champs...where we might then see him lose....and then retire.

I would hope he would retire after getting one....because in the end...all roads lead to Wlad...and that's a fight I just don't see him winning.

BUT...I do think this is a very winnable fight for him....I think a win for him would be good for fans and a great way to go out.....

He's yelled "unified" for years....but I think if he manages to get one....the waiting game politics will force him to retire should he stick to his timeline.
hardhead
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 3 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]352298[/snapback]
I honestly think that's questionable. He had been saying Unify for some time now....BUT...last year he gave himself a timeline to get the job done...and I have also noticed him state "HW champion" instead of "undisputed HW champion" when giving interviews. I think if he could capture one....he would be very happy....I also think he would be VERY quick to set up a unifying match with one of the other champs...where we might then see him lose....and then retire.

I would hope he would retire after getting one....because in the end...all roads lead to Wlad...and that's a fight I just don't see him winning.

BUT...I do think this is a very winnable fight for him....I think a win for him would be good for fans and a great way to go out.....

He's yelled "unified" for years....but I think if he manages to get one....the waiting game politics will force him to retire should he stick to his timeline.

Yea I hope that happens, I really can't see him beating Klitchko...
ghost13
The WBO belt is not even recognized by Ring magazine. So it's kind of laughable to call him a 5 time heavyweight champion should he win.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(ghost13 @ Aug 3 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]352318[/snapback]
The WBO belt is not even recognized by Ring magazine. So it's kind of laughable to call him a 5 time heavyweight champion should he win.

Good point.

Back in 1995 when Holyfield was getting ready to fight Bowe for the third time Bowe was actually WBO champion at the time (having been completely frozen out of the title picture by DK and the other alphabet orgs). Holy asked Bowe to drop the title as opposed to defending it against him because he didn't want to cheapen their trilogy by making the rubber match for a fake belt.
JD
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 2 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]352159[/snapback]
Holy's last few fights have been PPV.....with the likes of Savarese and Maddalone....there is no way a title fight with one of the champions in Russia with Holy is NOT going to be PPV.

Yeah, but they were on PPV because both HBO and Showtime passed on the fights, and they needed to be distributed somehow. It wasn't because they expected it to do big numbers and were trying to capitalize.

I thought Showtime was picking this fight up when Chagaev was in it; if they were, I would see no reason why they wouldn't if Holyfield were fighting for the strap.

I guess we will know soon enough. I have to doubt this will be some random PPV distributed by INDEMAND, or whoever did the last two.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 4 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]352391[/snapback]
Yeah, but they were on PPV because both HBO and Showtime passed on the fights, and they needed to be distributed somehow. It wasn't because they expected it to do big numbers and were trying to capitalize.

JD, thanks for stating the truth. It is exactly the reason we see has-beens like Holyfield in PPV's.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 4 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]352391[/snapback]

I thought Showtime was picking this fight up when Chagaev was in it; if they were, I would see no reason why they wouldn't if Holyfield were fighting for the strap.

I guess we will know soon enough. I have to doubt this will be some random PPV distributed by INDEMAND, or whoever did the last two.

"Distributed Somehow"??? Why is that? I've seen plenty of old fighters fight on non-televised bouts on their way up in a comeback.

I myself don't really agree with it being PPV....but IMHO...it's simply the name of Holyfield that makes the promoters deem it PPV worthy.

Let's face it.....the name still generates cash....that's the bottom line....and why they may end of making this PPV in the end.

rusty_trombone
I don't even think I'll go to the bar and watch this one. Pathetic.
hardhead
hardhead
Any chance it'll be in Texas again?? If it is I might go.... laugh.gif
hardhead
nevermind, I just checked the front page... laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
I will PPV this because Real Deal deserves this. It is not like he is just fighting some bum ALA Tyson but a legit beltholder & for all those who think so little of the WBO it has gained in stature since Bowe Holy III. It is now no better or worse than any of the other 3 belts & the trickerations that go on with those or does Marion & Jose have more credibility because they are so open about their corruption?
Fitz
The WBO title doesn't have the history as the other belts, but I have come to the conclusion that the fighter makes the title. I have seen cases where the WBO is probably more worthy than other titles.
JD
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 5 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]352625[/snapback]
"Distributed Somehow"??? Why is that? I've seen plenty of old fighters fight on non-televised bouts on their way up in a comeback.

I myself don't really agree with it being PPV....but IMHO...it's simply the name of Holyfield that makes the promoters deem it PPV worthy.

Let's face it.....the name still generates cash....that's the bottom line....and why they may end of making this PPV in the end.

Maybe you didn't understand my point, or I didn't articulate it properly.

HBO and Showtime BOTH told Holyfield "No, thanks". FoxSports broadcast the first comeback fight because Holyfield got paid peanuts, thereafter they could not pay him what he wanted. ESPN did not have it in the Friday Night or Wednesday night budget, and HBO and Showtime had ZERO interest in the fights and like I said, told him they were not going to pay for it.

So what is the only other way to broadcast it? Right, PPV. But it won't be an HBO or Showtime PPV, so it is some random independent PPV or IDEMAND, or whoever does it...because it is the only way to do it. Sure, ESPN or Fox or Versus would have done it, but they only allocate X dollars per show, and that number is less than what Holy would want as a guarantee.

It is the same scenario as the David Tua, Joe Mesi, Jeremy Williams PPV in two weeks. For one reason or another no one took it and distributed it, so the only way to offer it was as a PPV.
JD
Per Rafael, Ibragimov - Holyfield is likely to be broadcast live in the States on ESPN Classic.

I think this is good news for fight fans. This is going to be a special deal, where ESPN Classic will spend a couple weeks before the fight broadcasting early Holyfield and Ibragimov fights. They will just have to pay for the broadcast rights, and since it is Holyfield fighting for a title, this seems like money well spend to them.

Good stuff.
imperial
I am rooting for Holyfild hard ! And this would be a fight that I feel its worth paying due to the signifigance of the fight !!

WAR HOLYFIELD !
Kijis Konar
I'll watch it if it's free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.