Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe expects to land 2,000 punches
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
georg
http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Sport&...=1&id=12120

I'm starting to think he's brain damaged or on drugs laugh.gif

2000 punches and he thinks he is the underdog. I think hes just trying to make everyone think he can do what he did to lacy against anyone...yet hes only really ever done that once.I would expect Calzaghe to throw far fewer on Kessler, because Kessler knows how to keep some space between them
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(georg @ Aug 4 2007, 02:25 AM) [snapback]352351[/snapback]
http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Sport&...=1&id=12120

I'm starting to think he's brain damaged or on drugs laugh.gif

2000 punches and he thinks he is the underdog. I think hes just trying to make everyone think he can do what he did to lacy against anyone...yet hes only really ever done that once.I would expect Calzaghe to throw far fewer on Kessler, because Kessler knows how to keep some space between them

I saw that report but just chalked it up to trying to sell a fight. I think its a bunch of shit but stil can not wait for this fight.

Not sure who to pick yet but I've been more impressed with Kessler.
BrutalBodyShots
He doesn't really mean he's going to land that many. He was talking about how he landed a ton on Lacy and that he'll land "twice as many" in his upcoming fight. All talk and hype.

Method
Yup.
mnvkng76
I still don't belive this fight will happen. Joe C will break his hand or something and the fight will get called.
Maxy
QUOTE(mnvkng76 @ Aug 4 2007, 09:32 AM) [snapback]352373[/snapback]
I still don't belive this fight will happen. Joe C will break his hand or something and the fight will get called.

Yeah lets just hope something like that doesn't happen because if this fight gets called off for whatever reason, I doubt we'll ever see it.

As for the 2,000 punches thing it's obviously just a flippant comment.
woooooo
Does he still really believe he landed 1200 punches against Lacy instead of punches thrown?
Mean Mister Mustard
This guy thinks he's the underdog? That's not what he's been saying before the fight. He used to say he was the best and that Kessler is just another Lacy and now all of a sudden he's the underdog. Something tells me Calzaghe is ready to lose this fight.
georg
QUOTE(woooooo @ Aug 4 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]352393[/snapback]
Does he still really believe he landed 1200 punches against Lacy instead of punches thrown?

1,007 was actually the number he threw but ITV told him it was the number he landed which is why he thinks he landed that many punches .

I remember someone on East Side boxing going to the trouble of counting the punches landed by Calzaghe in the fight and I think they came to a figuire of around 450,so 557 is a huge overshoot
georg
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]352394[/snapback]
This guy thinks he's the underdog? That's not what he's been saying before the fight. He used to say he was the best and that Kessler is just another Lacy and now all of a sudden he's the underdog. Something tells me Calzaghe is ready to lose this fight.

Kessler is like two Lacys , he is much bigger , much faster , has a great defence , has one of the best hard jabs in boxing and he punches in combinations behind that jab , he can seem robotic because of his european style but he has good footmovent and tight well taught technique ,, he outboxed Mundine who has amazingly fast hands , that fight is a better gauge than what many think , a sneaker as far as form goes , people blow Mundine off but his speed is great and his defense to land clean on is great also ,, Kessler had back injurys in that fight and boxed beautifull ,, that tells me that he wont have any trouble with Joes speed ,, Joe power is not that great either , he has a lot of tkos but not many KOs because he is volume not power ,, but that volume and crowding could give Kessler lots of problems ,, If Kesslers jab is on the mark it will have Joe in trouble because it will prop him as it real solid and that will lead sooner or later onto Kesslers big guns ,,,, Kesslers trump card is his jab and thats what this fight is all about , if Joe can get past it he will get it , if he cant Kessler will and either side can stop the other depending who is on what side of the jab ,,, then we have Joe is 36 and Kessler is 28 , this is the same career point when Hatton fought 36 yr old KT , I reckon the age in the fight will come into it somewhere , Kessler can fight a strong 12 rnds and comes in shape and carrys enough power that he could still knock you in the last , if Calzaghe write Kessler off,like a new Lacy he are blind because he is a live one and a country mile ahead off Jeff Lacy .

I see this as great fight and I cant wait for it , Kessler by late KO , an old champ has got to go sooner or later ,, and they get old in one night ,, 36 is getting to where things start to happen when the right opponent turns up , it was never going be a tv star or bika ,,, but with Kessler , the playing field just changed dramatically ,,, If Joe can win this fight its a great effort and I will definitely give hi big Kudos for beating Kessler ,,, if he can
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(georg @ Aug 5 2007, 05:46 AM) [snapback]352666[/snapback]
Kessler is like two Lacys , he is much bigger , much faster , has a great defence , has one of the best hard jabs in boxing and he punches in combinations behind that jab , he can seem robotic because of his european style but he has good footmovent and tight well taught technique ,, he outboxed Mundine who has amazingly fast hands , that fight is a better gauge than what many think , a sneaker as far as form goes , people blow Mundine off but his speed is great and his defense to land clean on is great also ,, Kessler had back injurys in that fight and boxed beautifull ,, that tells me that he wont have any trouble with Joes speed ,, Joe power is not that great either , he has a lot of tkos but not many KOs because he is volume not power ,, but that volume and crowding could give Kessler lots of problems ,, If Kesslers jab is on the mark it will have Joe in trouble because it will prop him as it real solid and that will lead sooner or later onto Kesslers big guns ,,,, Kesslers trump card is his jab and thats what this fight is all about , if Joe can get past it he will get it , if he cant Kessler will and either side can stop the other depending who is on what side of the jab ,,, then we have Joe is 36 and Kessler is 28 , this is the same career point when Hatton fought 36 yr old KT , I reckon the age in the fight will come into it somewhere , Kessler can fight a strong 12 rnds and comes in shape and carrys enough power that he could still knock you in the last , if Calzaghe write Kessler off,like a new Lacy he are blind because he is a live one and a country mile ahead off Jeff Lacy .

I see this as great fight and I cant wait for it , Kessler by late KO , an old champ has got to go sooner or later ,, and they get old in one night ,, 36 is getting to where things start to happen when the right opponent turns up , it was never going be a tv star or bika ,,, but with Kessler , the playing field just changed dramatically ,,, If Joe can win this fight its a great effort and I will definitely give hi big Kudos for beating Kessler ,,, if he can

Exactly. Calzaghe has never faced anyone like Kessler before. Kessler has dealt with speed in the form of anthony Mundine. I expect Calzaghe to attempt to get inside in the first round and then try to decide wether he will box or slug. Whichever one he chooses it figures to be a long night. If he boxes form the outside Kessler oumps the jab and straight right hands.If he tries to slug he will find Kessler's right hands in his face which will discourage him from slugging any longer.
Trumpton
QUOTE(georg @ Aug 5 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]352666[/snapback]
Kessler is like two Lacys...

laugh.gif

Ummmmmn. Calzaghe is like three Anthony Mundines.
PR316
Its not an easy fight to call. Calzaghe is 35 and Kessler is 28 I believe but age won't be a factor in this fight IMO. People forget that Joe has a very good jab too. And he's seen the European style many times in his career. Kessler however, has never quite seen a style similar to Calzaghe. In Joe, Kessler faces a guy who can outmanuever him in the ring. And he's never fought anybody who sets the type of pace Calzaghe sets.

Kessler does have a stiff jab and pretty good power. But I wouldn't say that he hits any harder than Lacy or Byron Mitchell. Technically, he's miles ahead though. He throws nice compact shots behind his laser jab, and punches very well in combination, with accuracy and precision.

Whomever wins, is gonna have to earn it I feel. I honestly don't see a stoppage for either guy. Both are very skilled and Calzaghe has shown his mettle when hurt, and has battled through hand injuries to win some fights. Joe has survival instincts that if hurt, he can ride through the pain and find a way to keep going. Kessler is untested in this area. I doubt he'd fold under Joe's pressure, but I think he could easily find himself one step behind Calzaghe for many portions of this fight.

I think this fight will be a carbon copy of Mosley/De La Hoya 1.... I think it will be very close and very nip and tuck throughout. Calzaghe will need a GREAT effort to pull it off. He will have to be JUST AS GOOD as he was when he faced Lacy. Kessler is hungry and will come in very determined. The fact that the fight is in Wales will ease some pressure off of him.

I like Joe via close decision. Kessler's stock will rise after this fight and he probably won't get a rematch because Joe will likely look to face Hopkins in the Spring of 2008.
georg
QUOTE(PR316 @ Aug 6 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]352902[/snapback]
Its not an easy fight to call. Calzaghe is 35 and Kessler is 28 I believe but age won't be a factor in this fight IMO. People forget that Joe has a very good jab too. And he's seen the European style many times in his career. Kessler however, has never quite seen a style similar to Calzaghe. In Joe, Kessler faces a guy who can outmanuever him in the ring. And he's never fought anybody who sets the type of pace Calzaghe sets.
Kessler does have a stiff jab and pretty good power. But I wouldn't say that he hits any harder than Lacy or Byron Mitchell. Technically, he's miles ahead though. He throws nice compact shots behind his laser jab, and punches very well in combination, with accuracy and precision.
Whomever wins, is gonna have to earn it I feel. I honestly don't see a stoppage for either guy. Both are very skilled and Calzaghe has shown his mettle when hurt, and has battled through hand injuries to win some fights. Joe has survival instincts that if hurt, he can ride through the pain and find a way to keep going. Kessler is untested in this area. I doubt he'd fold under Joe's pressure, but I think he could easily find himself one step behind Calzaghe for many portions of this fight.
I think this fight will be a carbon copy of Mosley/De La Hoya 1.... I think it will be very close and very nip and tuck throughout. Calzaghe will need a GREAT effort to pull it off. He will have to be JUST AS GOOD as he was when he faced Lacy. Kessler is hungry and will come in very determined. The fact that the fight is in Wales will ease some pressure off of him.
I like Joe via close decision. Kessler's stock will rise after this fight and he probably won't get a rematch because Joe will likely look to face Hopkins in the Spring of 2008.

I give Calzaghe not more then 3 rounds against Mikkel Kessler,if he gets to round 6, Kessler got paid to let him go that far laugh.gif .Mikkel Kessler by a big KO. Dont believe me ? wait and see. clapping.gif
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 5 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]352813[/snapback]
Exactly. Calzaghe has never faced anyone like Kessler before. Kessler has dealt with speed in the form of anthony Mundine. I expect Calzaghe to attempt to get inside in the first round and then try to decide wether he will box or slug. Whichever one he chooses it figures to be a long night. If he boxes form the outside Kessler oumps the jab and straight right hands.If he tries to slug he will find Kessler's right hands in his face which will discourage him from slugging any longer.

from reading your post its pretty obvious that calzaghe has absolutely no chance to win this fight?? i am def not counting calzaghe out in this one.
georg
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Aug 6 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]352943[/snapback]
from reading your post its pretty obvious that calzaghe has absolutely no chance to win this fight?? i am def not counting calzaghe out in this one.

I think Calzaghe is going to underestimate Kessler...IMO Joe actually thinks he will blast him out like Lacy or Manfredo....

Kessler is preparing himself for Clazaghes puitty pat attacks that seem to come in whirlwind combo's...Kessler is not an overrated HYpe machine based on KO's of no name or past prime fighters..

He knows he is coming into hostile territory and he needs to be dominate to expect a decision in any way.....

The key is going to be that overhand right of Mikkels...One of the best in the business IMO...It is thrown in an awkward angle that is hard to defend against....

It has nothing to do with my opinion of Calzaghe just the fact he is over confident and the fact he truly believes this is a walk in the park...Team Calzaghe is looking past Mikkel and using this as a showcase fight....That will be their downfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdK3A14KGo

Yes That right hand will be the factor if Calzaghe sleeps on it
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Aug 6 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]352943[/snapback]

I find it hard to envision Calzaghe outboxing a strong, fast highly skilled jabber and find it even harder to envision Clazaghe outhustling him. Calzaghe is good for doing what he did to Lacy. How many people could have done that to him? But The Viking is no Lacy who was barely able to move because of all that muslce he has.
The CEO
I hate Calzaghe as much as the next guy...but here's what I sense will happen....

It will go 12. It will be close...and Calzaghe will GET the "W".
Tha Docta
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 6 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]352979[/snapback]
I hate Calzaghe as much as the next guy...but here's what I sense will happen....

It will go 12. It will be close...and Calzaghe will GET the "W".

i agree with this. and why would calzaghe come into this fight overconfident? dont you think he realizes that this is going to be the toughest fight of his career? yes, joe is confident, and he should be since hes never lost, but i dont think that will have any effect on his preparartion for this fight. he knows whats at stake here.

i wouldnt be surprised to see kessler win, but to say that joe has no chance is a little foolish.
CJRock
QUOTE(georg @ Aug 6 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]352927[/snapback]
I give Calzaghe not more then 3 rounds against Mikkel Kessler,if he gets to round 6, Kessler got paid to let him go that far laugh.gif .Mikkel Kessler by a big KO. Dont believe me ? wait and see. clapping.gif

What are you on buddy??? Calzaghe gives Kessler a boxing 101 lesson
Take that to the bank aggressive.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
It's interesting to hear Calzaghe say that he can't motivate himself to fight any of "These Guys." as he put it. Never mind the fact that the guy's competition has always been criticized for being poor. Then he turns around saying that he's the underdog. Something tells me he's not so confident after all.

QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Aug 6 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]352987[/snapback]
i wouldnt be surprised to see kessler win, but to say that joe has no chance is a little foolish.

Calzaghe might be able to tell you what foolish really is since he has agreed to take this fight. This is the same man that would rather face a 42 year old Bernard Hopkins than take on Kessler but now his honor has been called to step in and he has no choice.
PR316
QUOTE(georg @ Aug 6 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]352964[/snapback]
I think Calzaghe is going to underestimate Kessler...IMO Joe actually thinks he will blast him out like Lacy or Manfredo....

Kessler is preparing himself for Clazaghes puitty pat attacks that seem to come in whirlwind combo's...Kessler is not an overrated HYpe machine based on KO's of no name or past prime fighters..

He knows he is coming into hostile territory and he needs to be dominate to expect a decision in any way.....

The key is going to be that overhand right of Mikkels...One of the best in the business IMO...It is thrown in an awkward angle that is hard to defend against....

It has nothing to do with my opinion of Calzaghe just the fact he is over confident and the fact he truly believes this is a walk in the park...Team Calzaghe is looking past Mikkel and using this as a showcase fight....That will be their downfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjdK3A14KGo
Yes That right hand will be the factor if Calzaghe sleeps on it

I seriously doubt Calzaghe is sleeping on Kessler. Kessler is a top level fighter and say what you want about Joe, but you can't take away that he always comes into his fights in top shape. And he's publicly ACKNOWLEDGED that Mikkel Kessler is the biggest threat out there for him at the moment, and probably his whole career(Of course we won't know 100% for sure until they fight). This is a SUPER FIGHT and I have seen no reason to feel that they are taking him lightly.

Now do I feel there are some things Calzaghe can take advantage of??... Yes, for sure.

1- I do think Joe can exploit the holes in the stand up European style of Kessler.

2- I think Joe could certainly outmanuever him.

3- Calzaghe's jab is a weapon itself and it wouldn't surprise me to see HIM outjab Kessler.

The overhand right and straight right hands are the money punches for Kessler in this fight. Joe will be VERY CONFIDENT if it turns into an infight war. Joe is probably faster of both hand and foot, and he's LIVED on the inside for years. Kessler is a very good long range distance boxer who is yet to meet anyone with the infighting ability of Joe Calzaghe. So that could play a huge part in the fight, if Kessler is not able to make his jab the key punch in the fight.

Will be interesting for sure. Its basically a toss up. I don't think either guy will come in either underestimating the other or underprepared. Kessler will be hungry for this opportunity, and with the fight being in Wales and many picking against Calzaghe, Joe will not lack any determination or motivation to win.

I'll say this, whomever wins definitely moves high on the pound 4 pound list IMO.
Nobudius
I've been watching some of their past fights lately, & too many homers from both parties expect a dominating performance from their favorite here.

I see this as a tactical fight-it may open up if Calzaghe brings it to Kessler, but he's going to have to take some shots to do it. One thing about Kessler is, he fights TALL. For the people that say he can't fight inside..... well, he doesn't, b/c he has a real knack for keeping space. Monzon used to fight like this: using his height, jab, & right hand, with the occasional hook. Monzon was stiff as it got, but his style was ridiculously effective.

What Calzaghe needs to do is not let Kessler keep THAT distance. These two are very good at dictating the tempo: whomever does this more often will win. One relative "weakness" I see with Kessler is, he goes through some periods where he doesn't do anything. He also hasn't really taken a great shot, but his style doesn't get him hit too often.

Although Calzaghe is usually full of crap, he'll show up to this one: he's not underestimating anybody. This fight is a great, great, contrast in styles.

Eff' HBO & the boys for not getting this one done-while continuing to neglect the Europeans & the small guys, they give us more Klitschko "defenses". Garbage.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Aug 7 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]353072[/snapback]
I've been watching some of their past fights lately, & too many homers from both parties expect a dominating performance from their favorite here.

I see this as a tactical fight-it may open up if Calzaghe brings it to Kessler, but he's going to have to take some shots to do it. One thing about Kessler is, he fights TALL. For the people that say he can't fight inside..... well, he doesn't, b/c he has a real knack for keeping space. Monzon used to fight like this: using his height, jab, & right hand, with the occasional hook. Monzon was stiff as it got, but his style was ridiculously effective.

What Calzaghe needs to do is not let Kessler keep THAT distance. These two are very good at dictating the tempo: whomever does this more often will win. One relative "weakness" I see with Kessler is, he goes through some periods where he doesn't do anything. He also hasn't really taken a great shot, but his style doesn't get him hit too often.

Although Calzaghe is usually full of crap, he'll show up to this one: he's not underestimating anybody. This fight is a great, great, contrast in styles.

Eff' HBO & the boys for not getting this one done-while continuing to neglect the Europeans & the small guys, they give us more Klitschko "defenses". Garbage.

i dont know how anyone could say that calzaghe will not be taking this fight seriously. its the biggest fight of his career.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.