Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another nice HBO card
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Jermain Taylor vs. Kelly Pavlik, 12 rounds, for Taylor's Ring/WBC/WBO middleweight title; Andre Berto vs. David Estrada, 10 rounds, welterweights

This will be a great fight for Berto. This is a sink or swim fight for him. Berto got hit too much IMO against a slow Cosme, Estrada is a tough customer. Ought to be a good one. Props to Berto for the step up.

As for the Taylor/Pavlik bout. Pavlik is already the best middle out there, this will just be the night where he gets to make it Official.
Maxy
Estrada's on a 3 fight winning streak and is another step-up for Berto so this is a tidy little match-up. Berto will need to be very impressive if I'm to change my opinion about him but props all the same....I think its a good fight.
NickBarker
I'm still high on Berto. I think he'll beat Estrada and it will silence a few of the critics that have popped up since the Rivera fight. Either way, you're right, Southeast. This fight will tell us what we need to know about him, for now.
kidbazooka1
Both fights should be entertaining I hope Pavlik whoops Taylor.
NickBarker
While I'm rooting for Pavlik, I will admit that if Taylor can beat him in any sort of non-controversial fashion, then I will be back on his train again because despite the ugliness of it, he gets results. Either way, War Pavlik!
BrutalBodyShots
Pavlik stops Taylor (or beats the shit out of him en route to a 12 round UD) and I can't wait to see it.

NickBarker
Unless Taylor comes out like I haven't seen him in a while, he will get KTFO.
Maxy
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Aug 4 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]352420[/snapback]
I'm still high on Berto. I think he'll beat Estrada and it will silence a few of the critics that have popped up since the Rivera fight. Either way, you're right, Southeast. This fight will tell us what we need to know about him, for now.

Apart from youtube footage, the first time I saw Berto was against Martinus Clay. I wondered then what all the hype was about so I made a thread about it asking if it was just an off-night. Having seen the Rivera fight I'm even more convinced that this guy is a hype-job.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
After his first fight on HBO, I was buying the hype on this guy. I thought he was greatness to be, but after the Rivera fight I dont know. However, Rivera is a tough cookie and has given tough nights to many fighters. The only guy to blast out Rivera was Zab Judah, who posseses a lot of natural talent. The Estrada fight will show if he's the real deal or not. Estrada has given tough fights to Shane Mosley and Ishe Smith. He also beat Suleyman and Chris Smith when they were undefeated. Ive always been a fan of him, and he gave Cintron a great battle. He's on a nice win streak, so he should test Berto. If Berto isn't ready he's going to be in trouble, but I think his speed will carry him to a decision victory. Estrada will be working the whole time though so it won't be easy. Could be a really good fight.
Kyle
neophyte7
I AM ONLY HOPING TO SEE KELLY PAVLIK TEAR A NEW HOLE IN taylor's overrated black ass... ANYTHING SHORT OF TAYLOR BLEEDING and being near unconsciousness will be a dissapointment for me.

EMMANUEL STEWARD SOUNDED SICKENING making excuses for his lame performance against Cory Spinks... HE EVEN WENT TO THE ABSURD "NOT EVEN SUGAR RAY ROBINSON WOULD LOOK GOOD AGAINST CORY SPINKS"...

HE ACTUALLY said this--- Emmanuel Steward was rediculous with that one...
Southeastpaw
You gotta love passionate haters.
Lil-lightsout
I have a feeling Taylor is gonna surprise alot of people, hopefully I am wrong and Pavlik KO's him. I think Taylor is going to be super motivated and put on his best performance. I think it helps he is not going to be fighting another southpaw either. Berto-Estrada is a tossup, it will be a good test for Berto.
salvador
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Aug 5 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]352820[/snapback]
I have a feeling Taylor is gonna surprise alot of people, hopefully I am wrong and Pavlik KO's him. I think Taylor is going to be super motivated and put on his best performance. I think it helps he is not going to be fighting another southpaw either. Berto-Estrada is a tossup, it will be a good test for Berto.

I too think JT is going to look great against Pavlik. Pavlik's perfect for him; he's strong, credible, basic, and straight forward. Jermain's gonna destroy him in a bloody back and forth that turns Jermain into a star. I can feel it.

But as far as Berto-Estrada is concerned, what the fuck are you smoking?
JD
Pavlik is going to walk JT down and beat on him.

Taylor will back up willingly, and that will cost him. Manny is all wrong for this dude. The Hopkins Taylor was SO MUCH better than this version...Pavlik is going to be a big problem.

On another note...

I AM ONLY HOPING TO SEE KELLY PAVLIK TEAR A NEW HOLE IN taylor's overrated black ass

Neophyte...what is up with you and things being racial. You think JT is overrated and want Pavlik to whoop on him - cool. But dude, it is totally wrong to start calling out a fighters color for no reason other than your own racial viewpoints. Yeah, we know Jermain Taylor is black. You want to see Taylor get a beatdown because he is overrated - fine, but chill with the racial remarks.

No, describing someone as "black" or "white" is not racist by itself. But when you say you want to see one fighter "tear a hole in another fighter's black ass", it is a bigoted and racist remark.

Just stop already.
BigG
I Think Taylor-Pavlik is gonna be a war. Taylor needs to use his talent to outbox Pavlik with the jab.

I think Taylor might be overrated, but I also think Pavlik is very overrated as well.....I don't think he is anything special. To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if JT knocked him out. JT has been in with the big names...he is alot better then Miranda.

And seriously....no one looks good against Cory Spinks...unless your Zab Judah.
Al Hata
Wow, I didnt realize there were so many Jermaine Taylor haters. Or maybe you guys just think Pavlik is that good?

I think its crazy to say Pavlik is gonna destroy him. Taylor is a big, strong kid and if he uses the right style this fight he will win, but who knows how he will come out.

I realllllllllllly want to go to this, but Rutgers plays Maryland that day and it could be a night game if everything goes according to plan. I think I should save my money for cotto/mosley in MSG.
Southeastpaw
I don't think Pavlik is overrated at all. He is what he is. I don't think anyone is praising him on a high skill level. Just his size, workrate, and power is overbearing for his opponents at 160. This will be an interesting fight seeing as Jermaine is a big middle himself, but I think that Pavlik's workrate will be too much for Jermaine. Jermaine is the type of fighter that needs to pace himself over a 12 round period, as most fighters. Unfortunately for Jermaine, Pavlik does not need to pace himself. He goes one speed the entire fight and is going to drown Jermaine if Jermaine does not get him early. YOu saw how much trouble Taylor had with Winky's pressure. Now add more punches and powerful ones on to that with a bigger guy behind them. True Pavlik does not hold the tight defense that Winky does (who does), but Pavlik's offense has been his defense for the most part. Will be interesting, but I say the smart money is on Pavlik.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.