Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diaz vs. Morales: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
This thread is for round by round and post fight reactions to the Diaz-Morales WBC Lightwight World Title Fight.

Jack

Administrator
NickBarker
I'm going to order it, but am going to watch the Showtime card first. Anyone on here going to be doing the round-by-round for the card?
Jack 1000
Nick,

I am sure somebody will. It's still Erik Morales and people will be interested enough to order the fight. The round by round doesn't have to be a formal thing per se. Anyone who is watching it, feel free to reply to the thread and tell us about it. I am going to be taping and watching the Showtime card later tonight, so I will not be reading the threads for the big fights and commenting until I have seen them later tonight.

Jack
thehype
PREFIGHT
El Terrible Erik Morales enters first to chorus of cheers from the crowd. He looks to be in good shape. The champion, David Diaz, enters next to some slight boos.
thehype
ROUND 1
Morales starts off being cautious. Diaz stalking and lands a right hook to the body. Morales circling and not doing much. Morales fires the jab, but misses. Now he lands a left hook upstairs. Diaz lands a left upstairs. Now Diaz is working the body and lands a good right hook. Diaz lands a right upstairs. Morales continues to retreat. 1-2 lands for Morales. Diaz works the body along the ropes. Morales lands a left. Another left lands for Morales, but WOOOOOOO, Diaz lands a sweeping right hand that backs him up. WOOOOOOOOOO...now Diaz rocks Morales with a left hand. OOOOOOH, but Morales answers back and drops Diaz with a short counter right. He's up and takes the count. Morales lands a right hand to end the round. Wow. Diaz was winning the round, but got dropped by Morales right at the end. Round to Morales for the knockdown, but Diaz clearly deserved a 10-9 round.

Morales 10 Diaz 9
Southeastpaw
Go Morales, you washed up SOB.
thehype
ROUND 2
Diaz comes out fast and continues to work the body. Morales on the retreat. Diaz lands a right hand upstairs. Woooo...short left hook connects for Diaz and Morales slips and falls to the ground. The ref correctly rules it a slip. HARD uppercut lands for Diaz. Morales continues to retreat. Quick three punch combo lands for Morales. Diaz rushes in and lands a great rigth hook to the body. Diaz roughs Morales up along the ropes. Morales lands a short chopping right hook upstairs. Morales lands a left to the body. Round to Diaz.

Morales 19 Diaz 19
thehype
ROUND 3
Diaz lands a left to start the round. Morales retreats behind the jab and lands an uppercut. Diaz lands a right. Diaz rushes in and works the body. Another nice uppercut lands for Morales. Diaz lands a right hook to the body. Left hook and an uppercut lands for Morales. Diaz lans a left. Nice uppercut lands for Morales that backs Diaz up. 1-2 lands for Morales. Diaz rushes in and lands a left. Morales land a counter right hand. Good round for Morales.

Morales 29 Diaz 28
thehype
ROUND 4
Morales lands a left hand and backs away. Right hand down the pipe lands for Morales. Diaz not doing a vey good job of cutting off the ring. Right hand lands for MOrales. Another right hand lands for Morales. Hard right hand to the body from Morales backs Diaz up. Diaz lands a chopping right hand, but pays for it with a counter right from Morales. WOOOOO...HARD rigth hand from Morales stops Diaz in his tracks. Morales letting his hands go more now. Lands a left downstairs and a right up top. Round to Morales.

Morales 39 Diaz 37
Kijis Konar
Is Morales looking like the Morales of old? I mean, does he look competitive?
thehype
ROUND 5
Diaz lands a left to the body. Morales continues to work the jab while he retreats. Uppercut lands for Morales. Diaz lands a right upstairs. Morales continues to circle and show Diaz angles. Morales lands a 1-2. Diaz lands an upperuct. Diaz smothering his punches a bit. Morales peppers the jab in his face. Right hand lands for Morales. Straight right to the body lands for Morales. Diaz lands a right upstairs. Nice four punch combo lands for Morales as the right eye of Diaz begins to swell. They clinch and Morales lands some chopping punches on the inside. Diaz lands a left to end the round. Round to Morales.

Morales 49 Diaz 46
Kijis Konar
Juan Diaz vs. Erik Morales?
thehype
ROUND 6
Some roughhousing to start the round. Diaz lands a left. Morales lands a right down the pipe. Diaz lands a couple of jabs. Right hand lands for Diaz and he roughs Morales up along he ropes. Morales lets his hands go and lands some slashing lefts and rights. Diaz lands some uppercuts and some elbows on the inside. Morales retaliates with a right to the back of the head. Morales continues to work the jab. Left hook lands for Morales. Diaz lands a nice left of his own. They eye of Diaz is looking grotesque. Morales lands a 1-2. A little better round for Diaz, but not enough to win it. Round to Morales.

Morales 59 Diaz 55
thehype
ROUND 7
Diaz lands a sweeping right hook. Morales circles, retreats and fires the jab. Diaz lands a right hand, but then rushes in and smothers his punches. Morales lands a right to the body. Diaz lands a right. Morales lands a right of his own. Nice rigth hook lands for Diaz. Morales lands a nice counter of his own. Diaz lands a left. Morales lands a right down the pipe. 1-2 lands for Morales. Two jabs lands for Morales. Diaz lands a left and misses with a right. Morales lands a right hook on the inside. Diaz lands a right of his own. Diaz works Morales along the ropes and lands some good uppercuts. Better round for Diaz.

Morales 68 Diaz 65
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 4 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]352538[/snapback]
Juan Diaz vs. Erik Morales?

David
thehype
ROUND 8
Morales lands a right and a left upstairs. Diaz rushes in and trys to bully Morales along the ropes. Morales spins him and keeps his distance with the jab. Diaz works teh body and backs him to the ropes again. Morales lands a nice uppercut on the inside. Morales looking a bit tired. Left hand lands for Morales. Diaz lands a left hook and works Morales along the ropes. Morales fires back and lands anice five punch combo. Diaz pushes him back and works him along the ropes with some nice uppercuts. Hard rigth hand to the body lands for Diaz. Another right hook to the body lands for Diaz as Morales looks tired. Round to Diaz.

Morales 77 Diaz 75
Kijis Konar
David, please finish Morales so that he doesn't keep fighting! Juan Diaz would brutalize him and that's unfair.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 4 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]352548[/snapback]
David, please finish Morales so that he doesn't keep fighting! Juan Diaz would brutalize him and that's unfair.

I'm thinking the same thing about Juan takin it to Morales.
thehype
ROUND 9
Diaz lands a left upstairs and a right to the body. Morales lands a right down the pipe. Another right down the pipe lands for Morales. CRUSHING right hook to the body lands for Morales. Diaz lands a left. Left hand to the body and a hard right uppercut lands for Morales. Left hook for MOrales lands. Diaz lands a righthook of his own. Short right hand lands upstairs for Morales. Diaz lands two lefts upstairs that back Morales up. Diaz works the body along the ropes. Counter right hand and a left lands upstairs for Morales. Round to Morales.

Morales 87 Diaz 84
thehype
ROUND 10
Diaz misses with a right hook to start the round. Morales lands a quick three punch combo. Diaz lands a HUGE left hand upstairs along the ropes. Morales ties him up. Nice four punch combo alnds for Morales. Diaz works the body along the ropes. Diaz landsa left hook. Morales lands two right hands upstairs. Morales lands a nice 1-2. Diaz lands a right hook. Right hook to the body llands for Morales. Round to Morales.

Morales 97 Diaz 93
thehype
ROUND 11
Morales works his jabs and Diaz works his way in on the inside. Both men trading and working the body. Morales getting the better work done. Nice right hook tot he body lands for Diaz. Morales lands a nice left hook to the body of his own. Diaz lands a right upstairs. Morales lands a right upstairs and a 1-2 downstairs. WOOOOO...nice right hand upstairs lands for Morales. Left hook to the body lands for Morales. Nice uppercut lands for Morales. Diaz tries to work the body, but he looks tired. Diaz misses with a wild right hook. Morales lands a 1-2. Diaz lands a nice combo at the end of the round, but not enough to steal it. Round to Morales.

Morales 107 Diaz 102
Kijis Konar
Wow!

Either Diaz is garbage, or Erik is fuckin' back.
CyruS
Diaz must be garbage
thehype
ROUND 12
Morales corner thinks they have the fight won as they advice Morales to stay away from Diaz in the last round. Morales works the jab, but Diaz bulls his way in and works the body. Morales obliges and they trade uppercuts. Diaz works the body with a nice 1-2. Nice right hook and an uppercut lands for Morales. Diaz tries to work him along the ropes. WOOOOOO...nice right hand alnds for Diaz. Diaz lands a left upstairs, but Morales answers back with a nice counter right. Both men standing and trading. Diaz misses with a wild left hook and Morales ties him up. Diaz works the body. Diaz lands a nice 1-2 upstairs. Morales holds on. diaz lands an uppercut and Morales staggers backwards and lays against the ropes to end the round. Round to Diaz.

Morales 116 Diaz 112
thehype
Official judges scorecards: 114-113, 115-112, 115-113

The winner by unanimous decision....

AND STILL WBC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD....

David Diaz
Southeastpaw
Stop playin Hype.
CyruS
I didn't see this fight but I picked Diaz.... did the judges just bail me out?
Kijis Konar
hahahahahaha!!!
hardhead
I thought Morales won the fight 115-113, Diaz made it a little closer at the end but I felt even though Morales was fading late he did enough effective fighting/boxing/counterpunching to put those early rounds away....Some of the rounds were close though so I guess it wasn't out of the question for Diaz to get the decision....
Kijis Konar
Erik can retire now with good money and his health intact. Please Erik, stop fighting.
hardhead
Diaz is indeed a very crude relentless fighter with a lot of determination...He took some excellent shots from Morales....It was a VERY entertaining fight and I give both guys all the credit in the world for fighting so hard...

Didn't get to see the Marquez/Vazquez but I heard it lived up though...Can't wait to see it...
T-MONEY
man morales won that fight no doubt about it. sad , its sad ,
hardhead
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 5 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]352566[/snapback]
Erik can retire now with good money and his health intact. Please Erik, stop fighting.

I agree Kijis even though I had him winning and Diaz was made for him it seemed, he didn't have the legs and the great stamina at the end to fnish strong, of course Diaz worked the body excellent and was throwing some hard shots but Morales needs to hang it up for sure...
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 5 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]352567[/snapback]
Didn't get to see the Marquez/Vazquez but I heard it lived up though...Can't wait to see it...

It's FOTY, dude. Fuckin' FOTY.
T-MONEY
i cant belive morales losted this fight.
thehype
Compubox

David Diaz total punches: 161/733
Erik Moral total punches: 169/584

David Diaz total jabs: 15/103
Erik Morales total jabs: 54/258

David Diaz power punches: 146/620
Erik Morales power punches: 105/326
T-MONEY
its a sad day in boxing
Kijis Konar
I hope there is no Diaz-Morales II.
BigG
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 5 2007, 04:27 AM) [snapback]352574[/snapback]
Morales got robbed. Diaz sucks big time though, so people that didn't see the fight, don't think for a second that Morales is still good because he got robbed. Morales didn't look great either.
I'm pretty pissed off though that Morales will maybe go out with a robbery. Morales deserves better than that.

Yeah...Morales was retiring win or lose....but reiting after a robbery against a fighter like Diaz? Sad....
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 5 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]352574[/snapback]
Morales got robbed. Diaz sucks big time though, so people that didn't see the fight, don't think for a second that Morales is still good because he got robbed. Morales didn't look great either.
I'm pretty pissed off though that Morales will maybe go out with a robbery. Morales deserves better than that.

Agreed. I thought Morales was doing a better job of counterpunching than Diaz was doing of rushing in and smother his punches.
BigG
Fuck man, it would have been nice to see Morales go out as a champion...whatever...I hope there is a rematch. Morales is past-it but is better.
BrutalBodyShots
So what did they both say in the post fight interviews?

Did Morales confirm his retirement?

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 5 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]352585[/snapback]
So what did they both say in the post fight interviews?

Did Morales confirm his retirement?

Yeah, because boxers ALWAYS stay retired when they announce there retirement laugh.gif
BigG
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 5 2007, 04:28 AM) [snapback]352576[/snapback]
I hope there is no Diaz-Morales II.

I don't understand why. This fight was a flat out robbery and a good exciting fight.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Aug 5 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]352588[/snapback]
Yeah, because boxers ALWAYS stay retired when they announce there retirement laugh.gif

No, but when they say they ARE NOT retiring they almost always stick to that wouldn't you agree?

I was just curious what the guy had to say about this.

salvador
Morales said that was probably his last fight.

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread (I just got back from a bar, where I paid $15 rather than $44.95), but that was a hell of a fight and Diaz, as limited as he is compared with Morales in his prime, fought like a champion from the first bell to the last. He showed heart and determination and blind courage all night and, regardless of whether or not a unanimous decsion was warranted, Diaz deserves to be mentioned any time the current list of great warriors is debated. Diaz saw his shot tonight and he took it. God Bless him! - If only he could punch!!!!!!!!!

And the bottom line is "who cares who got the decision?" Both guys proved themselves (as if Morales had to). I don't think Morales was so upset with the decision as much as he was just sort of glad that he'd gone out honorably.

And now we, as fans, get to see Diaz, a real FIGHTER, go on and fight prominently on HBO, assuming that HBO behaves honorably and puts Casamayor-Diaz on WCB as a headliner.

BigG
Casamayor would school Diaz.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 5 2007, 01:27 AM) [snapback]352595[/snapback]
Casamayor would school Diaz.

yeah, he would, but Diaz would slug with him until he fell. I'd like to see that. The sport could use a lot more of that right now.
Fitz
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 5 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]352593[/snapback]
Morales said that was probably his last fight.

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread (I just got back from a bar, where I paid $15 rather than $44.95), but that was a hell of a fight and Diaz, as limited as he is compared with Morales in his prime, fought like a champion from the first bell to the last. He showed heart and determination and blind courage all night and, regardless of whether or not a unanimous decsion was warranted, Diaz deserves to be mentioned any time the current list of great warriors is debated. Diaz saw his shot tonight and he took it. God Bless him! - If only he could punch!!!!!!!!!

And the bottom line is "who cares who got the decision?" Both guys proved themselves (as if Morales had to). I don't think Morales was so upset with the decision as much as he was just sort of glad that he'd gone out honorably.

And now we, as fans, get to see Diaz, a real FIGHTER, go on and fight prominently on HBO, assuming that HBO behaves honorably and puts Casamayor-Diaz on WCB as a headliner.

What do you mean who cares who got the decision? It was a crap decision, and of course it matters. Bullshit decisions shouldn't happen period, regardless of if the other guy showed heart or not.
Yes, Diaz fought with courage, but he is still quite average. I was quite disappointed with the decision.
BigG
That BS decision prevented Morales from making history and being the first Mexican to win titles in 4 weight classes..It's BS.

David is a good fighter but he won't be the top of the division. For one, he LOST against Morales. And there is no way he beats Juan and probably losses to Julio. Casamayor beats him easy too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.