Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez vs. Vasquez II: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jack 1000
This thread is for round by round and post fight reactions to Marquez-Vasquez II. for the WBC Jr. Featherweight Title. This is set for a LIVE call at 8:00 PM on Showtime. WEST COAST VIEWERS WITHOUT DIGITAL CABLE OR DISH, OR WHO MAY CHOOSE TO WATCH THE FIGHT LATER TONIGHT MAY FIND SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Jack

Administrator
NickBarker
There was a glove controversy that was discussed on Showtime. I couldn't follow all the particulars, but it appears that the Marquez camp was concerned about Vazquez's wraps and there was danger of the fight being called. That was sorted out, but Gary Shaw said he would file a grievance with both the commission and the WBC.
thehype
LMFAO at Mayorga smoking a cigarette while Jim Gray tried to interview him.

laugh.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 5 2007, 02:26 AM) [snapback]352473[/snapback]
LMFAO at Mayorga smoking a cigarette while Jim Gray tried to interview him.

laugh.gif

oh man, I wish I was watching that...laugh.gif
NickBarker
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 4 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]352474[/snapback]
oh man, I wish I was watching that...laugh.gif

Reference my thread below about Jim Grey where some of the details of the interview are briefly discussed. Mayorga is the best in the game today at talking shit.
thehype
PREFIGHT
Vazquez enters first with a smile on his face looking calm, cool and confident. The champion, Rafael Maquez, enters next looking ready to go to war. Both men are in great shape.
NickBarker
Here we go.
NickBarker
Great, but paced, back-and-forth action through the first half of the round. I think, in general, Marquez gets slightly the better of it. It continues to be close, efficient boxing, but I feel Marquez lands more clean shots. This is a close, but clear enough round for Marquez.

10-9 Marquez
thehype
ROUND 1
Vazquez comes out fast working the jab and a right to thte body. Marquez lands a hard 1-2 upsatirs. They trade jabs. Marquez stuffing the jab on Vazquez's nose. Hard straight right lands for Marquez. Vazquez answers with a hard left hook that backs Marquez up. Marquez lansa n uppercut. Another nice 1-2 lands for Marquez. Hookercut and a left hook lands for Marquez. Anoteher uppercut lands for Marquez. Vazquez lans twho chopping right hands on the inside. Marquez lands another jab. Nice three punch combo lands for Marquez, who's letting his hands go and landing some vicious shots. Nice body shot and a left hook upstairs lands for Marquez to end the round. Round to Marquez.

Marquez 10 Vazquez 9
NickBarker
Both of them are working off their jabs, but Marquez's is a tad more effective. Vazquez lands a couple of stiff jabs, one snaps back Marquez's head toward the close of the second minute. Good double to the body and head by Vazquez, but Marquez answers with some solid shots. A very good left hook by Vazquez at 30 seconds. Marquez answers back with some good shots. Vazquez closes out and wins it.

10-9 Vazquez

19-19
thehype
ROUND 2
Vazquez lands a right tothe body. Marquez lands a harder left hook to the body. They trade jabs. Marquez lands a left hook and a righthand down the pipe. Vazquez lands a left hook of his own. They trade jabs and both men work the body on the inside. Vazquez lands two right hook upstairs. Left hook to the body a little low for Marquez. Vazquez triples up on the jab and lands a good right hand. Marquez answers back with a left hook fo his own. They trade jabs. Now they trade uppercuts. Vazquez landsa anice left hook that gets Marquez's attention. Another nice left hook by Vazquez to end the round. Round to Vazquez.

Marquez 19 Vazquez 19
Rabbit Punch2
Great, very close fight so far. Both guys are beaming with confidence. This is fun to watch.
NickBarker
Wow! Vazquez lands a monster left hook and wobbles Marquez and jumps on him. Marquez answers back with some solid poise. Marquez is definitely hurt, but he's fighting. Marquez counters Vazquez's aggression excellently, but Vazquez keeps coming. This is an amazing round! Vazquez is cut over his right eye, potentially from a clash of heads. Marquez stops him with a left while laying on the ropes. This round is very close, but Vazquez's flurry in the closing seconds secures it to him by the slimmest of margins.

10-9 Vazquez

29-28 Vazquez

PLEASE GET THE CUTS UNDER CONTROL!
Rabbit Punch2
Looks like we are watching the Fight of the Year! Pay attention.
thehype
ROUND 3
Vazquez already has a cut on the bridge of his nose. Marquez firing the jab and a lands a left hook to the body. Vazquez lands a vicious left hook that wobbles Marquez. He holds on. Vazquez lands another left hook, but Marquez fires back. Both men trade on the inside, but Vazquez landing the better punches. Marquez lans a vious left hook of his own. Vazquez walks through it and keeps throwing. Vazquez lands some HUGE uppercuts. Marquez looks really hurt, but he's firing back. They trade hooks. Nice three punch combo lands for Marquez. Vazquez landsa left upstairs. Marquez landsa nice four punch combo. Another beautiful combo lands for Marquez. Wow. Vazquez lansa elft. Now Vazquez lands a right hand and a left. Marquez fires back. They trade right hands at the end of the round. Tough round to score. Very tough round. I give it Vazquez for landing the bigger shot that stunned Marquez, but Marquez could have very easily come back to take the round.

Marquez 28 Vazquez 29
Southeastpaw
What a fuckin fight! My boy Vasquez is NO JOKE. Doin much better this fight. GO VASQUEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NickBarker
Both of these guys are cut pretty well. The first minute is even action with both guys landing their shots, but Marquez may be taking the worse of it. Marquez comes back to stop him, but eats a nice uppercut at the end of the first minute. Marquez throws a great straight right and Vazquez drops back. They exchange right hands and neither of them gets the better of the other. Marquez begins to land better shots as the last minute winds down. Marquez lands a huge couple of punches to close the round and it gives him the round for me.

Marquez 10-9

38-38
Southeastpaw
AWESOME!!!!! I am thinking that Marquez is going to get KOed.
thehype
ROUND 4
Both men are bledding around the eyes. They trade jab. WOOOOO....HARD rigth hand over the top lands for Vazquez. Marquez on the retreat. Vazquez digs to the body. Two HARD uppercuts land for Vazquez. Marquez looks a bit shaky. Nice left hook to the body lands for Marquez that freezes Vazquez. WOOOOO...hard 1-2 lans upstiairs for Vazquez. Now Marquez lands a great right hand upstairs. Wow...GREAT action. BIG right hand alands for Vazquez and Marquez lands one of his own. Vazquez digs a left hookto the body. HARD right hand upstairs lands for Vazquez. They trade jabs. Right handlands for Vazeuz. Nice three punch combo lands for Marquez. Vazquez snaps the head of Marquz back with ajab. Vazquez lands a right, but WOOOOOOOOOOOO....hard right hand lands upstairs for Marquez to end the round. Wow...another great round. Again, I give it to Vazquez for landing the more telling shots, but Marquez could have easily won it himself.

Marquez 37 Vazquez 39
NickBarker
Vazquez works the jab quite well to begin the first half of the round. Marquez keeps it going back-and-forth, but Vazquez lands a very nice right with a little more than a minute left. Both guys unload on each other and Vazquez slips. They were both excellent shots! This is some of the best action I've ever seen. It may be the best since Corrales-Castillo 1. I gotta give that round to Vazquez, especially since the dropping wasn't ruled a knockdown.

10-9 Vazquez

48-47 Vazquez
thehype
ROUND 5
Vazquez works the body with a 1-2. Marquez on the retreat and friing the jab. Vazquez works the body along the ropes. Hard right hand snaps the head back of Marquez. Vazquez sneaks a left hook in. Marquez landing his jab. Short chopping right hand lands for Vazquez. Marquez lands a elft hook. WOOOO...nice right hand from Vazquez lands upstairs. Nice three puch combo lands for Vazquez, but Marquez lands a right that drops Vazquez. The ref rules it a slip. Vazquez jumps on Marquez and lands a 1-2. Marquez fires back and lands a right of his own. Another close round, but Vazquez appears to be imposing his will as he continues to come forward.

Marquez 46 Vaqzuez 49
thehype
ROUND 6
The replay showed that the knockdown was indeed a slip. Vazquez works the body to start the round. Nice uppercut and WOOOOOOOOOOOO...CRUSHING left hook drops Marquez. He's up and takes the count. Vazquez jumps on him. WOOOOO...he lets' his hands go. Everything landing for Vazquez. Marquez looks ready to go. Body shot, left hook. Marquez still up and trying to fire back, but he looks done. Vazquez lands a right, left and another right hook. Marquez falling backward. Vazquez lands another left hook. That's it. The ref stops it. Vazquez gets his revenge and stops Marquez with a barrage of punches that forces the ref to stop the fight.

Vazquez TKO6

NickBarker
VAZQUEZ CLOCKS MARQUEZ AND FLOORS HIM! Vazquez is all over him and Marquez can't keep him off. Marquez looks dead.

IT'S OVER, IT'S STOPPED!

TKO VAZQUEZ!
Rabbit Punch2
Marquez is done. What a great fight!
NickBarker
Fight of the year. Period.
Southeastpaw
FUCH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DETERMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vasquez deserves every bit of this win. What an awesome fight. Vasquez is the essence of boxing.
Rabbit Punch2
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Aug 4 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]352495[/snapback]
Fight of the year. Period.

Without question.
Rabbit Punch2
Glad I didn't fork out $45 to watch a shot fighter.
gods son
excellent!!!!
quick stoppage?? naw..vasquez brougt his balls and heart in the ring..

where roach at??
NickBarker
Israel Vazquez deserves top ten P4P status because of this, in my opinion.

I agree with Bernstein, it was a somewhat premature stoppage and Marquez deserved a bit longer.
NickBarker
QUOTE(gods son @ Aug 4 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]352500[/snapback]
excellent!!!!
quick stoppage?? naw..vasquez brougt his balls and heart in the ring..

where roach at??

Vazquez and him split.
rusty_trombone
Great fight. That stoppage was complete horse shit. Asshole ref robbed us of another couple of great rounds. Lawrence Cole did a completely horrible job reffing his fight also, he is really bad, i don't know how he keeps getting jobs.
Rabbit Punch2
I thought it was a fair stoppage. He didn't look good when he was going back on his heels.

Let's do it again in March!
thehype
POSTFIGHT
Al Bernstein thinks that the stoppage was premature. The ref says he stopped the fight because he thought Marquez was in bad shape after the first knockdown. Vazquez says he knew Marquez was in trouble and it was just a matter of time before he stopped him. Vazquez says that he wants a third fight. Marquez says that he wasn't in trouble and he's not sure why the ref stopped the fight because he was still throwing punches. Marquez says he wants a third fight as well.
Rabbit Punch2
After watching that replay from a different angle, it probably was an early stoppage....
Southeastpaw
What a turn around from the first bout.

I am with you Nick. Vasquez deserves P4P status. But, while the stoppage may have been a TAD premature, Marquez was in big trouble. I believe I know what prompted the ref to stop it. Marquez was throwing back, but his legs were gone, he was getting hit, and right before the stoppage, Vasquez landed a couple shots and Marquez went wobbling back. I believe Vasquez in his response to Grey's question on the stoppage. If he didn't get him outta there that round, it would have came. Marquez was getting tagged more and more with that left. Beautiful fight. Definitely FIGHT OF THE YEAR!!!!!! This is what makes me much more of a boxing fan than any other sport.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 4 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]352503[/snapback]
Great fight. That stoppage was complete horse shit. Asshole ref robbed us of another couple of great rounds. Lawrence Cole did a completely horrible job reffing his fight also, he is really bad, i don't know how he keeps getting jobs.

What made you think it was complete horseshit?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 4 2007, 11:19 PM) [snapback]352509[/snapback]
What made you think it was complete horseshit?

the fact marquez was fighting back, and didn't seem like he was completely unable to continue. in fact he looked like he was recovering decently. He wasn't out on his feet, he was defending himself intelligently, bobbing, weaving, with his hands up and was throwing an occasional shot back. he was certainly not overwhelmed.
Kijis Konar
My man Vasquez has made me proud again- I picked against him this time, and he punished me for it. The man has BALLS! One of the greats of our time!
BigG
Bring on a 3rd fight. Two top P4Pers.
Southeastpaw
n fact he looked like he was recovering decently. He wasn't out on his feet, he was defending himself intelligently, bobbing, weaving, with his hands up and was throwing an occasional shot back. he was certainly not overwhelmed.

At the point of the stoppage, No. He just got tagged and was hurt badly and was fallin back. Recovering nicely????? OK. His legs were gone. He was absorbing alot of punishment and was not responding well when he was stung. He was free for that left hook almost that entire round up till the stoppage. I do think it was a TAD premature, but it was not complete horseshit. Marquez was in bad shape. I did not see where he was recovering decently. He was getting much worse. Comon man.
CyruS
I am justified for picking Vasquez in FHPL, I like that.
Crow
Bullshit stoppage!! Rafa was still punching back. Oh well, at least we get a third fight from these two warriors.
gods son
marquez was gettin hurt..he looked sloppy..maybe 1 more round...but im not complaining over the stoppage..marquez looked damaged!
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(CyruS @ Aug 4 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]352520[/snapback]
I am justified for picking Vasquez in FHPL, I like that.

Yes, you definitely are Cyrus. SHAME ON ME for dropping him from my team after that loss. I actually thought he was going to be out for a bit and lose to Marquez in a rematch from what I saw in the first bout. I am glad I was wrong though. I have always liked Israel. Kudos Cyrus. Best win of the year.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Crow @ Aug 4 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]352521[/snapback]
Bullshit stoppage!! Rafa was still punching back. Oh well, at least we get a third fight from these two warriors.

Wow! So now if a puncher is just punching back, the fight should not be stopped? You don't think anything else should factor in there?
BigG
I would like to see Israel fightg Gonzalez again down the line too..that would be another great rematch.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 4 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]352516[/snapback]
At the point of the stoppage, No. He just got tagged and was hurt badly and was fallin back. Recovering nicely????? OK. His legs were gone. He was absorbing alot of punishment and was not responding well when he was stung. He was free for that left hook almost that entire round up till the stoppage. I do think it was a TAD premature, but it was not complete horseshit. Marquez was in bad shape. I did not see where he was recovering decently. He was getting much worse. Comon man.

i don't know, he got up from the KD instantly, and didn't appear to be hurt by any of the punches Vasquez was throwing after that. I find it funny that a guy, who is throwing shots back and defending intelligently, gets a fight stopped because "his legs appreared gone". He wasn't wobbly, plus there was only 45 seconds left in the round, and had a history of recovering from knockdowns against this same fighter. Busch league reffing, busch league.

Just think what we would have been robbed of, if some dipshit ref stopped the Corrales- Castillo fight after the first, or even second knockdown. Diego was in MUCH worse shape than Raffy.
CyruS
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 4 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]352524[/snapback]
Yes, you definitely are Cyrus. SHAME ON ME for sropping him after that loss. I actually thought he was going to be out for a bit and lose to Marquez in a rematch from what I saw in the first bout. I am glad I was wrong though. I have always liked Israel. Kudos Cyrus. Best win of the year.

Indeed. Isreal is that dude drinks.gif

I picked him because I saw he could fuck up Marquez back in the first fight and considered the nose shit to be a random freak of nature. We have to see a third fight A.S.A.P.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 4 2007, 11:34 PM) [snapback]352527[/snapback]
i don't know, he got up from the KD instantly, and didn't appear to be hurt by any of the punches Vasquez was throwing after that. I find it funny that a guy, who is throwing shots back and defending intelligently, gets a fight stopped because "his legs appreared gone". He wasn't wobbly, plus there was only 45 seconds left in the round, and had a history of recovering from knockdowns against this same fighter. Busch league reffing, busch league.

Just think what we would have been robbed of, if some dipshit ref stopped the Corrales- Castillo fight after the first, or even second knockdown. Diego was in MUCH worse shape than Raffy.

Well, maybe Raffy should have spit out his mouthpiece.

Anyhow, we aren't seeing the fight in the same light bro. I do not think that Marquez was defending anywhere near intelligently. If you call defending intelligently getting tagged by left hooks and right crosses more and more frequently, well so be it. But I didn't see where this intelligent defense came from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.