Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caballero vs. Lacierva: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
This thread is for round by round and post fight reactions to Caballero vs. Lacierva for the WBA Jr. Featherweight Title. This is set for a LIVE call at 8:00 PM on Showtime. WEST COAST VIEWERS WITHOUT DIGITAL CABLE OR DISH, OR WHO MAY CHOOSE TO WATCH THE FIGHT LATER TONIGHT MAY FIND SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Jack

Administrator
NickBarker
This is sort of an odd reaction, but I have not seen Caballero before. They just showed his picture and I was surprised to see that he was black.
thehype
PREFIGHT
Lacierva enters first in a colorful robe that looks like it was made out of Christmas tinsel. Caballero enters next looking confident as he dances and sings in the ring.

ROUND 1
Caballero works his long jab and lands a right cross over the top. Lacierva very defensive to start the fight. WOOOOOO....BIG left hook lands for Lacierva and Cabllero holds on. Caballero ladns a jab and swings wildly , but misses to the body. Lacierva misses with a wild left hook. Caballero lands a right to the body. Lacierva lands a 1-2. Lacierva working the jab now and lands a right. Lacierva lands an uppercut on the inside and a right hand upstairs. They clinch and Caballero lands some illegal right hands to the back of Lacierva's head to end the round. Round to Lacierva for landing the more telling shots.

Lacierva 10 Caballero 9
NickBarker
Lacierva did enough in that first round to make this worth viewing as not merely a blowout fight. However, that could change. Steve Albert was giving him too much credit on what he was landing. He did connect with a good looking left hook early on, but Caballero blocked a lot of the other shots that Albert was calling as landed blows.

10-9 Lacierva
NickBarker
Lacierva opens the round in a similar manner. He's being pretty effective as Caballero simultaneously kind of lays back. There doesn't seem to be all that much on Caballero's jab, which is something he needs to make better use of. Neither of these guys look very precise. I expected that out of Lacierva, but not Caballero. Lacierva was more aggressive and landed the clean, impressive shots throughout the course of the round.

10-9 Lacierva

20-18 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 2
Caballero lands a jab and Lacierva lands a 1-2. Caballero lands a right, but Lacierva answers back with two hooks upstairs. Caballero doesn't like it and tries to rough him up with some foreamrs on the inside. Lacierva lands another nice 1-2 upstairs. They trade jabs. Caballero sticks a stiff jab in Lacierva's face. Lacierva lands a 1-2 that pushes Caballero back. Both men swinging and missing with wild punches. Caballero lands a right hand over the top. Uppercut and 1-2 alnds for Lacierva. They trade jabs. Round to Lacierva.

Lacierva 20 Caballero 18
NickBarker
Once again, Lacierva is just a tough son of a bitch and he's imposing himself upon Caballero. I just don't see anything special out of Celestino. It seems like either Vazquez or Marquez would take him out without trouble, at least tonight. Lacierva is sloppy and Caballero is able to block and feint a lot of his shots, but he still gets hit with enough. This is especially true considering his lack of offensive output so far.

10-9 Lacierva

30-27 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 3
Caballero lands a jab and Lacierva lands two hooks to the body. Caballero lands another jab and Lacierva charges in and lands a nice four punch combo. Lacierva stepping up the pace. Caballero roughs him up on the inside with some hard shots tot eh body. Lacierva buries his head in Caballero's chest and lands some overhand rights over the top. Caballero lands a left. Lacierva lands another nice four punch combo. Caballero motions as though he's unfazed by those punches, but he's definitely getting outworked right now. Lacierva lands a nice left and a right hook upstairs while Caballero was talking smack. A nasty staredown and a push at the end of the round. Round to Lacierva...and Caballero's corner agrees as they advice their man that they're losing the fight.

Lacierva 30 Caballero 27
NickBarker
Lacierva has slowed down a bit through the first half of the round. Caballero lands a few jabs, but still nothing extraordinary. I think his defense is pretty solid, again, but he needs to throw more punches and stay farther out. Bernstein claims that Caballero is not fighting tall and I agree. They each take a step closer towards the mean and I score it even.

10-10

40-37 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 4
Caballero sticks the jab in Lacierva's face. Lacierva retreats. 1-2 to the body lands for Lacierva. Caballero lands a couple of jabs. Another jab lands for Caballero. Lacierva lands two hooks to the body. Caballero backhanding with his jab a bit. Lacierva lands a right over the top. Another right hand lands for Lacierva. Uppercut lands for Caballero and a right to the body. Nice right hand upstairs lands for Caballero. Best round of the night so far for Caballero. I thought he did enough with the jab to win the round.

Lacierva 39 Caballero 37
NickBarker
Caballero uses his jab more effectively to begin the round. Lacierva and he clinch and while they struggle Lacierva bashes him to the back of the head for several seconds. Unlike round four, I believe that Lacierva is fighting tough again and is forcing Caballero back. Caballero is beginning to come on more offensively, but it Lacierva is making the fight messy and gritty which seems to be working for him.

10-9 Lacierva

50-46 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 5
Caballero works the jab. Lacierva lands a left hook. Caballero walking him down and lands a quick 1-2. More roughhousing on the inside. The ref warns both men for pushing off. Caballero lands a jab. Lacierva lands three right hands as Caballero tries to hold onto him. Caballero digs some hooks to the body of Lacierva. They trade on the inside and Lacierva gets the better work done. Caballero lands a stiff jab. Lacierva lands a 1-2. Left hook lands for Lacierva. Caballero lands an uppercut. They trade punches as the bell rings and both men take some late swings at each other. It's getting ugly in there. Round to Lacierva who's simply outworking Caballero at this point.

Lacierva 49 Caballero 46
yuca
thanks for the updates men
thehype
ROUND 6
Both men jump on each other to start the round. Caballero firing four jaba in a row. Lacierva retreats. Caballero lands stwo overhand rights. Lacierva lands a jab. Caballero lands a left hook. Jab and a 1-2 lands for Caballero. They clinch and roughouse on the inside. Caballero landing the jab. Two left hooks to the body land for Caballero. They clinch and roughhouse some more on the inside. Caballero stepping up his workrate now. Lacierva retaliates with a headbutt. The ref catches it and deducts a point. Caballero lands a hard right hand and a left hook when the action resumes. Another hard right hand lands for Caballero. Round to Caballero.

Lacierva 57 Caballero 56

NOTE: A slight argument about the gloves as Marquez was threatening not to fight due to Vazquez's camp skinning the gloves.
NickBarker
Caballero sits down on a couple of his punches more than previously and the results are thusly beneficial. Lacierva goes with the head one too many times and Cole takes a point away. Lacierva is utilizing the same strategy, but Caballero is more effective and takes the round.

10-8 Caballero

58-56 Lacierva
NickBarker
Caballero continues to come on, though Lacierva is hardly retreating. Caballero was on his way to taking the round, but in the last 45 seconds Lacierva comes on with a huge batch of punches. However, with the seconds wanning Caballero lands a counter flurry that isn't as good, but enough for me to give the round to him.

10-9 Caballero

67-66 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 7
Caballero back to sticking the jab in Laceriva's face. Laceirva lands a 1-2. Caballero gets a warning for thrwoing a forearm. Lacierva lands a left and a big right hand upstairs. Caballero lands a hard right hand to the body and an uppercut. Lacierva lands a left hook upstairs. Caballero lands anice right hand. Caballero lands a jab and a right hand. Lacierva lands a right hand. Lacierva lets his hands go and lands another nice 1-2 as Caballero turns his back. And a left hook lands for Lacierva. Now Caballero lets his hands go and lands a nice three puch combo. Good action at the end of the round. Round to Lacierva.

Lacierva 67 Caballero 65
TheAmblingAlp
What I wanna know is: Who did Caballero beat to get that strap? This guy is a POS.
NickBarker
Caballero is having another quality round. He's sticking the jab in there much better than in the early rounds. He just needs to stay on the oustide and move when Lacierva lunges in. If he does that, he'll win this fight. That movement is starting to come, but Lacierva is catching him too much. Regardless, I feel that the slower pace favors Caballero and give him another round to bring this fight even.

76-76
thehype
ROUND 8
Caballero back to stalking and working the jab. Hard left hand followed by a right ladns for Caballero. Crushing right hand tot he body lands for Caballero. Lacierva lands a right. Caballero lands a right to the body. Jab landing at will now for Caballero as Lacierva content to retreat. Caballero tripling up with the jab. Three jabs in a row land for Caballero. Lacierva not doing much of anything right now. Caballero up on his toes and outboxing Lacierva. Caballero lands a 1-2. Round to Caballero.

Lacierva 76 Caballero 75
NickBarker
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Aug 4 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]
What I wanna know is: Who did Caballero beat to get that strap? This guy is a POS.

I agree, this doesn't seem like a guy who would beat Ponce de Leon, even though I think he's a piece of garbage, too.
NickBarker
I think the first two minutes are about even, as both fighters have their moments. Albert expresses incredulity that someone could have it 76-76 Caballero. I think he's too heavy on the aggression as this fight is close. Lacierva throws some nice looking power punches in the last thirty seconds and I give him the round on the basis of those shots and the overall aggressiveness.

10-9 Lacierva

86-85 Lacierva
thehype
ROUND 9
Caballero lands his jab again and Lacierva lands a left hook upstairs. Caballero lands a left hook. The trade jabs. Caballero lands a jab and two nice hohoks to the body. Lacierva lands a jumping left hook. Caballero lands an uppercut. Lacierva on the retreat as Caballero stalks him. Lacierva lands a right hook. Quick left hook lands for Lacierva. Uppercut and right hook to the body lands for Caballero to end the round. Close round, but I thought Caballero controlled most of it while Lacierva tried to steal it in the last couple of seconds.

Lacierva 85 Caballero 85
NickBarker
Caballero clocks Lacierva with a great uppercut after Cole warns him for the final time. That was his best shot of the fight, clearly. Lacierva, to his credit, takes it well. Caballero is throwing better combinations and incorporating the uppercut, which is a critical shot for him as a tall man. Lacierva throws a wild haymaker, even by his standards and misses. This is an easy round to score for Caballero

10-9 Caballero

95-95
thehype
ROUND 10
Lacierva misses with a wild left hook and Caballero makes him pay for it with left hook of his own. Caballero pushes Lacierva to the ground while they're in a clinch. The ref warns him that one time, and he's taking apoint. Caballero lands a big uppercut theat snaps Lacierva's head back. Both men holding and roughing each other up on the inside. Left and a right lands for Caballero. More roughhousing as tehy clinch again. Caballero lands a right hand that backs Lacierva up. Lacierva looks a little tired now. Left and a right hand upstairs lands for Caballero to end the round. Round to Caballero.

Lacierva 94 Caballero 95
thehype
ROUND 11
Cabaallero firing the jab. Both men trade jabs and Caballero lands a right hand. 1-2 lands for Caballero. Lacierva doing a lot of holding now...looking real tired. Caballero stalking...lands a 1-2. Caballero lands a hard right hand to the body. Two jabs a right and a left to the body lands for Caballero. Lacierva getting outworked with a minute left in the round. Lacierva lands a jab, but Caballero lands a harder fight hand. Lacierva just dancing away on the outside. Caballero lands a hard rigth hand to the body. Round to Caballero.

Lacierva 103 Caballero 105
NickBarker
It is by no means a clear transition, but it is a transition nonetheless in that it has become Caballero's fight. Lacierva seems to have tired enough to make a significant impact and Caballero is able to keep the distance requisite to get points for ring generalship.

10-9 Caballero

105-104 Caballero
thehype
ROUND 12
Caballero firing the jab. Lacierva fires his own jab. Lacierva lands a nice 1-2. Anda right hook upstairs lands for Lacierva. Caballero lands a right to the body. Another right hand to the body lands for Caballero. Hard right hand lands for Caballero. Caballero lands a jab. Right hook upstairs lands for Caballero. Both men clinch. Hard uppercut lands for Caballero. Lacierva misses with a wild left hook. CAballero lands a right and tries to work the body as they clinch. Caballero lands another right to the body as they clinch. Round to Caballero.

Laciervao 112 Caballero 115
NickBarker
Lacierva opens with a better pace than the past few rounds. Caballero answers with a few effective right hands. He continues to work the jab and subsequently Lacierva falls in and tries to control the infight while Cole tries fruitlessly to cleanly break them. This is a real close round, but I'd be inclined to give it to Caballero

10-9 Caballero

115-113 Caballero
thehype
Official judges scorecards: 115-112, 116-111, 116-110

The winner by unanimous decisoin...

AND STILL.....

Caballero
NickBarker
Caballero on UD

115-112, 116-111, 116-110
NickBarker
Thanks for keeping me inline on my score, hype. We apparently see things pretty close to the same.
thehype
POSTFIGHT
Caballero says that Lacierva is a dirty fighter. He said it was hard for him to get on track because Lacierva was fighting so dirty. Lacierva says that Caballero was fighitng dirty...holding, hitting in the back of the head, throwing forearms. Says that he doesn't understand why the ref didn't take a point away from him.
thehype
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Aug 4 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]352465[/snapback]
Thanks for keeping me inline on my score, hype. We apparently see things pretty close to the same.

No problem...although you had me triple checking my score for a while there...I didn't notice that you scored one round even so I kept redoing my math trying to figure out if I did something wrong. LOL.
BrutalBodyShots
Steve Albert needs to STFU, he was all over Lacierva's nuts the entire fight. I had it 115-112 for Caballero even though I think the guy sucks and is goofy as shit. I don't think one more round going Caballero's way was out of line which is more or less what the judges saw, but since Albert didn't agree with it suddenly he "doesn't know what fight the judges were watching."

Jack 1000
I was told earlier that the decision was bs by a family member who watched, but just said that the official call they thought was bad. Didn't say who won. For the record, I thought that the challenger won (Lacierva) by a point. Caballero came on too late and I thought that Lacierva controlled the early rounds easily. It was a sloppy affair with dirty tactics from both fighters. My problem was the absurd wide margin of the official cards. What did the champion do (Caballero) that was so great that warranted that type of scoring in his favor? They treated Lacierva like he wasn't even there!

Jack
thefloatingmonkey
Yeah the decision was huge BS. And the Ref was absolutely horrible. I loved the knee to the face at the beginning of one of the rounds, and the ref just ignored it.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(thefloatingmonkey @ Aug 5 2007, 04:33 AM) [snapback]352663[/snapback]
Yeah the decision was huge BS. And the Ref was absolutely horrible. I loved the knee to the face at the beginning of one of the rounds, and the ref just ignored it.

What?
Michigan Assassin
All I know is that I never want to see Caballero again. His gangly body just seems like it would lend itself to akward action.

I have no doubt that Rafa or Israel would knock him out but I still don't ever want him on tv again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.