FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
imperial
Looks like he has a few options ..Discuss

Jones to fight in Novemeber
TheAmblingAlp

Sincerely,

Roy Jones Jr.
Boss Hogg
I could give two turds about Jones fighting Zsolt, however, I would love to see him get revenge on Johnson in November, Trinidad in the spring of 2008, then bring on the "one hit wonder" Antonio Tarver in the summer of 2008!!!!! Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

What's your take on the faded Jones JDizzle.....?
JD
My take?

Roy is an entertainer. Roy is also seriously faded.

I would like to see Roy get a meaningful fight in, and just be done with it. With a lot of these guys, all they do is make people struggle to remember what they were. Roy was blessed with a set of hands you may never again see in your lifetime, but that blessing also ended up being his curse because he could always win with them, and never had to worry about really going textbook. It was silly the type of athlete Roy was...well, he isn't that kind of athlete anymore.

The Johnson fight would worry me a bit because Roy will never get his respect, and Johnson will keep coming. Tarver can always time Roy again with that left. Erdei owns a strap, but he also happens to be fundamentally sound and reasonably fresh for a dude over 30. Tito was the fight for him, because as long as Roy puts a jab on Tito when he plants his feet, or just moves, he will not get caught and he wins no problem. I honestly do not want to see Roy and Hopkins fight...at this point it is meaningless, and both guys are just getting older - and it shows.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 10 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]353533[/snapback]
My take?

Roy is an entertainer. Roy is also seriously faded.

I would like to see Roy get a meaningful fight in, and just be done with it. With a lot of these guys, all they do is make people struggle to remember what they were. Roy was blessed with a set of hands you may never again see in your lifetime, but that blessing also ended up being his curse because he could always win with them, and never had to worry about really going textbook. It was silly the type of athlete Roy was...well, he isn't that kind of athlete anymore.

The Johnson fight would worry me a bit because Roy will never get his respect, and Johnson will keep coming. Tarver can always time Roy again with that left. Erdei owns a strap, but he also happens to be fundamentally sound and reasonably fresh for a dude over 30. Tito was the fight for him, because as long as Roy puts a jab on Tito when he plants his feet, or just moves, he will not get caught and he wins no problem. I honestly do not want to see Roy and Hopkins fight...at this point it is meaningless, and both guys are just getting older - and it shows.

You made some good points.
JD
At the end of the day, if you are a former king and a true great...why continue if you can no longer beat the younger top dogs in the division?

Pride? Yeah, I guess...but health needs to take precedent eventually.
Spyder
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 10 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]353536[/snapback]
At the end of the day, if you are a former king and a true great...why continue if you can no longer beat the younger top dogs in the division?

Pride? Yeah, I guess...but health needs to take precedent eventually.

So, if he does continue fighting, you would rather him fight Chad Dawson?
JD
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 10 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]353538[/snapback]
So, if he does continue fighting, you would rather him fight Chad Dawson?

LOL...hell no.

Thats the point. If you are a real great, and were once the TRUE top dog, why carry on if you cannot beat a guy that you would have blitzed when you were in your prime?

I mean, if you must carry on because you just don't know when to get out...and you want to preserve your health, fight someone faded with a name, and be done with it before something bad happens. That is my view at least.
thehype
My take....

I heard Jones has some slightly different options:

1) If Jermain Taylor beats Pavlik, he and Jones could be fighting on PPV.

2) If Jermain Taylor loses to Pavlik, he and Jones would still fight, but it would be on HBO World Championship Boxing (although certain individuals who still work for HBO swear up and down that it will never happen).

3) A rematch with Glen Johnson...although I heard Glen Johnson might be pricing himself out of that fight (but good for him...fvck that...he knocked his ass out...he should be getting way more money than what he got the first time they met).

Anyway, that's what I've been hearing.

Perhaps Jones should just get a good advisor like Ishe Smith did...then again, maybe he already has.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
Fighting Trinidad does nothing at all for him, besides give him a nice paycheck. Trinidad is a has been and this fight means nothing. How many people actually know who Erdie is? This is another meaningless fight. I think Johnson is the ONLY logical choice for his next fight. He has something to prove to himself and his fans that there first fight was a fluke. Roy was definately gunshy in that fight, and ended up getting humiliated in that fight. He would need to be 100% physically and mentally ready for Glenn's assault in order for him to beat Glenn. If he beats Glenn, he should go after Tarver and destroy him. Then after he KO's Milkdud, he can then call for a fight with Dawson. Seriously though, I think Roy should just try and stay active to keep himself in shape and sharp. Maybe we will still see some of the old Roy Jones again yes2.gif
BigG
Roy should fight either Hopkin, Johnson or Dawson....those are the best fights for him legacy wise.
hardhead
I'll definitely be there since it could be in NO or on the Gulf Coast and thank god he's not fighting Johnson because I think that's a BAD matchup for him. Personally I think Roy needs to hang them up very soon before he gets stretched again. Of course I'll be pulling for him if he has that last big fight into the sunset...

thehype
Roy should just stop fighting if he's afraid to get hit...and from what I've seen from him lately, it seems like he's more concerned about getting hit than he is about doing the hitting.

I mean, be honest...even the diehard Jones fans out there have to be a little nervous every time they see a guy rush in and back Jones up to the ropes.

laugh.gif

Quite frankly, I think just about anyone has a good chance of beating him right now...which is shocking considering at one point, it seemed like no one would ever beat him.

Oh my how the mighty have fallen.

If he ever gets stopped again...they have GOT to make a movie about him. That's like some tragic shit....like a Greek tragedy.

laugh.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2007, 05:18 AM) [snapback]353547[/snapback]
Roy should just stop fighting if he's afraid to get hit...and from what I've seen from him lately, it seems like he's more concerned about getting hit than he is about doing the hitting.

I mean, be honest...even the diehard Jones fans out there have to be a little nervous every time they see a guy rush in and back Jones up to the ropes.

laugh.gif

Quite frankly, I think just about anyone has a good chance of beating him right now...which is shocking considering at one point, it seemed like no one would ever beat him.

If he ever gets stopped again...they have GOT to make a movie about him. That's like some tragic shit....like a Greek tragedy.

laugh.gif

I'm a Jones fan and It definitely makes me nervous seeing these guys rush the hell out of him and thinking of that chin and remember what Tarver and Johnson did. Especially the Johnson KO, that was some scary shit, seeing Jones fucking stretched out like that barley moving...Johnson is a guy that is aggressive and will put lots of pressure on Jones and I'm not so sure Roy's punch would phase Johnson enough to keep him off, that's the thing about Roy even now and when he was at the top at Ltheavy, I think his punch wasn't as effective to these bigger guys when he got to 172 as opposed to when he was 168-160...Roy needs to fight a guy who will try to box a little more with him and keep it in the middle of the ring because Roy still has fast hands and pretty good defense, it's just his legs and chin(laying on the ropes getting caught) that worry me..A guy like Johnson will just keep coming and coming throwing hard shots and wear Roy's ass out. Johnson may not be an elite fighter but he's a top contending Lt Heavy and much better then Amanju and Hanshaw....
Bill The Butcher
Out of all of those fights mentioned, I would like to see Jones VS. Taylor. Then if he wants another good payday, go after Trinidad. Then call it quits.

Or maybe Winky Wright? I don't know. Have the fight take place in Florida.

I really don't think it would be smart of him to fight Tarver, Johnson, Hopkins, Dawson, Calzaghe, etc.
Southeastpaw
I am a fan of the Prime Jones. HUGE FAN. It saddens me every time an ex-great comes into the ring with very noticeable diminished skills against an opponent he would have mopped the floor with in his prime. That said, I would be happy to see Roy retire today, for good. I am no longer interested in seeing him fight.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 11 2007, 03:51 AM) [snapback]353550[/snapback]
I'm a Jones fan and It definitely makes me nervous seeing these guys rush the hell out of him and thinking of that chin and remember what Tarver and Johnson did. Especially the Johnson KO, that was some scary shit, seeing Jones fucking stretched out like that barley moving...Johnson is a guy that is aggressive and will put lots of pressure on Jones and I'm not so sure Roy's punch would phase Johnson enough to keep him off, that's the thing about Roy even now and when he was at the top at Ltheavy, I think his punch wasn't as effective to these bigger guys when he got to 172 as opposed to when he was 168-160...Roy needs to fight a guy who will try to box a little more with him and keep it in the middle of the ring because Roy still has fast hands and pretty good defense, it's just his legs and chin(laying on the ropes getting caught) that worry me..A guy like Johnson will just keep coming and coming throwing hard shots and wear Roy's ass out. Johnson may not be an elite fighter but he's a top contending Lt Heavy and much better then Amanju and Hanshaw....

Co-sign to the 5th power.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]353547[/snapback]

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Honestly Hype,

Your on the money with your observation of the "die hard Jones fan," I'm a bag of nerves, when watching Jones fight these days. In the back of my mind I'm wondering "Is Roy about to get KTFO again or is he about to show us a small glimpse of his former self."

Its tough being a fan of Jones because I think the majority of us fans realize " it ain't there no more" but we still cheer for him, regardless. Kind of like the way Avon use to cheer for the Eagles, despite them constantly losing and leaving him feeling like his cheers for them meant nothing. laugh.gif

Seriously, I'd like to see him win one big fight and then drive off into the sunset in peace.

WolfishPromistah
Nothing is as important as beating both Tarver and Johnson -- more so Tarver. Tito doesn't matter (does nothing), Hopkins is a big old hyped situation "now" that neither wants to really gamble on it, be it whatever each man's reasons are for why he feels he should get most pay. That fight has even gotten to the point it reminds me of Tito Trinidad saying he's coming out of retirement every few months. At this point, too, the fight's probably not important to either man's legacy, and not to where fans now are probably gonna care that much. And I don't know where Jermaine Taylor's name got put in this mix. How can he even be considered to come up to light-heavy when he struggled so hard at middle just to get respect, arguably losing to the then top dogs there (and others -- Spinks and Ouma)? Please.

Roy should just go if he's not gonna fight Johnson, and I think part of the reason people want to see him fight Tarver and win, at this point in time, is just so he can potentially say he finally KOd him, or something like that, like it's a dream fight for hardcore Roy fans on a mission of get back 'cause they can't forget that “Pow!” in the 2nd round (oh, our shattered dreams).

Besides that, I just don't see much coming from a win there since Tarver is already 2 up. The problem is, in as far as Johnson goes, I just don't know if Roy can...handle it at this point, even if he trains like a mad man to do so. He's just older now and not THE Roy Jones Jr. (RJ), and that painfully works against him every time he fights these days.
imperial
For all those people who say Jones is afraid to get hit or shot did any of you watch the Henshaw fight ?? Seriously ??
Fitz
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 12 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]353648[/snapback]
For all those people who say Jones is afraid to get hit or shot did any of you watch the Henshaw fight ?? Seriously ??

We watched Tarver 3 as well.
CyruS
People saw Roy's last fight?????
imperial
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 11 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]353650[/snapback]
We watched Tarver 3 as well.

Right and I saw his other 2 fights before that lets talk present shall we !
Kijis Konar
I just want Roy to get KTFO brutally again. I can't wait.
Fitz
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 12 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]353654[/snapback]
Right and I saw his other 2 fights before that lets talk present shall we !

Sure, if you want to acknowledge RJJ fighting who? Andy Hunkshaw? Can't even remember his name as a benchmark over Tarver, be my guest. I know what I saw, and I saw Jones pussy out in his biggest fight and was petrified to be hit, but sure, I guess he isn't scared anymore because he showed more balls against a guy that barely anyone has heard of.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 12 2007, 05:28 AM) [snapback]353726[/snapback]
Sure, if you want to acknowledge RJJ fighting who? Andy Hunkshaw? Can't even remember his name as a benchmark over Tarver, be my guest. I know what I saw, and I saw Jones pussy out in his biggest fight and was petrified to be hit, but sure, I guess he isn't scared anymore because he showed more balls against a guy that barely anyone has heard of.

LOL, bro, you sure TSFO hasn't gotten on your PC? Remember that dude?

Black
Fitz
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Aug 12 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]353756[/snapback]
LOL, bro, you sure TSFO hasn't gotten on your PC? Remember that dude?
Black

LOL, yeah, haha. Well he was an Aussie as well.
Nah, I don't hate Jones heaps, I acknowledge he was once very good, but he has no heart and is scared to get hit. I don't care what anybody says about how much of a badass he looked against Hanshaw and Ajamu and how he wasn't scared to take shots then. But that is all irrelevant. We all know how tough you can look against C level fighters, but in the end the whole world saw Jones bitch out and not lay anything on the line against a B level fighter. No way I'm using his 'impressive' victories over C level fighters as a benchmark.
AlterEgo
QUOTE(CyruS @ Aug 11 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]353653[/snapback]
People saw Roy's last fight?????

I was about to watch it last night but fell asleep. Can't help but think that it wouldn't have happened for any fight with an ounce of intrigue to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.