Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gonzalez vs. Penalosa: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
This is for round by round reactions and post fight responses to the Gonzalez-Penalosa fight on HBO B.A.D LIVE CALL IS TONIGHT ON HBO@ 9 PM CST. WEST COAST VIEWERS WITHOUT DIGITAL CABLE OR DISH MAY FIND SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Jack

Administrator
Don Flamenco
Team Philippines already takes the World Cup coming into this fight. Let's see if Team Mexico can win the fights that count the most.
BigG
Round is close.....Maybe Gerry edged it out.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Good exchange at the end of the round. Gonzalez doing a good job using his height. penalosa did some good things too.
Kyle
BigG
Round 2 is Gonzalez 10-9 but close.

I have 19-19

Gonzalez heigh/reach is really obvious......He's using it well.
NickBarker
Once again, I'm impressed with how Penalosa handles the bigger man. Gonzalez is, of course, more skilled than Ponce de Leon, but the principle is similar. These rounds have all been pretty close so far. Gonzalez will look like he's getting into a groove and keeping the fight at the proper distance for him, then Penalosa will get in and land some effective shots. I think Penalosa's defense has been the difference so far. I've got it 2-1 for the Pinoy.
BigG
Round 3 to Gerry but very close...Gonzlaez landed two big body shots a the end.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I got it 30-27 for Gonzalez. These rounds are close so the scores could be different. Decent little fight so far. Gonzalez doing a good job using that reach.
Kyle
NickBarker
Gonzalez takes the fourth round mainly on activity, but Penalosa's defense continues to exemplify good technique. He's just not throwing enough shots. Gonzalez is not landing many clean shots, but he's doing more to win the rounds.
BigG
Round 4 to Gonzalez....good fight so far.

Both working the body good. Penalosa sharp and so is GOnzalez.....

38-38
BigG
Round 5 to Gonzalez....

48-47 Gonzalez...

Using his height well. Using the ring, using his jab, combos, body shots.

Gerry lands the occation good shot but Gonzalez is beating him.
NickBarker
I think the fifth was another round for Gonzalez. Penalosa is simply waiting too long to turn on his aggression and allows Gonzalez to dictate the terms of the fight for too much of the round.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Penalosa did a little better job of pressuring Gonzalez in the 5th round. Gonzalez is still keeping his reach, and landed some good shots towards the end of the round. It was a close round that ill give to Penalosa. I got it 49-46 for Gonzalez.
Kyle
Rivado
From here on out...All Gonzalez. Watch.
NickBarker
The tide has definitively turned towards Gonzalez. I'm having trouble seeing Penalosa getting too much done in this fight. Gonzalez's power shots are landing cleaner than they were before and that spells trouble for Penalosa.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Gonzalez doing a really good job keeping his reach, and throwing combinations. He's keeping Penalosa at bay, and picking his shots well. 59-55 for Gonzalez.
Kyle
BigG
Penalosa is going to get stopped late by a body shot....IMO....

Gonzalez 58-56
NickBarker
Wow!
Don Flamenco
I TOLD YOU FUCKERS

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thehype
PREFIGHT
Penalosa comes out first. He looks relaxed and focused...as though it's business as usual. Gonzalez comes out next...a slight look of concern on his face as he jogs out to the ring.

ROUND 1
Penalosa comes out fast behind a jab. He lands a left to the body as Gonzalez is content circle and retreat. Not much action for the first minute as Gonzalez is being extremely cautious. Penalosa lands two left hands upstairs. Another left hand landed by Penalosa as Gonzalez continues to circle and retreat. Now Gonzalez lands a left hook upstairs. Penalosa lands a left that backs Gonzalez up. Both men finally let their hands go with ten seconds left. Penalosa lands a left and a right and Gonzalez lands two left hooks to the body. Round to the more aggresive fighter Penalosa as Gonzalez was content to retreat and not throw too much.

Penalosa 10 Gonzalez 9

ROUND 2
Now Gonzalez is firing his jab. He lands a right hand upstairs. Penalosa lands a left. Gonzalez flicking the jab and Penalosa lands a 1-2 to the body. Another nice left hand to the body lands for Penalosa. They trade left hands to the body. Penalosa has a tight turtle defense, much like Winky Wright, that's preventing Gonzalez from landing his jab crisply. HARD left hook to the body lands for Gonzalez. Uppercut and right hand lands for Gonzalez to end the round. Round to Gonzalez.

Penalosa 19 Gonzalez 19

ROUND 3
Penalosa continues to stalk with his tight guard while Gonzalez continues to circle and fire the jab. Penalosa lands a 1-2 upstairs. Now Penalosa works the body with a straight left. Woooo...nice left hook from Penalosa lands upstairs. Gonzalez fires back with a right. Penalosa continues to apply the pressure and lands a right hook. Gonzalez fires a combo, but most of it is blocked. Nice counter left lands for Penalosa. Gonzlez digs two left hooks to the body. Both men trade at the end of the round to try and steal it. Close round, but I give it to Penalosa for being more active.

Penalosa 29 Gonzalez 28

ROUND 4
Gonzalez back to circling and firing the jab, but not landng it very often. Short right hand down the pipe lands for Gonzalez. Penalosa lands a left. Hard left hook to the body lands for Gonzalez, but Penalosa counters with a left hook upstairs. Right hook lands for Gonzalez. Penalosa getting frustrated as he's having difficulty closing the distance. HARD left hook from Gonzlez lands upstairs to end the round. Round to Gonzalez.

Penalosa 38 Gonzalez 38

ROUND 5
Gonzalez fires a four punch combo but most of it was blocked by Penalosa. Left hook lands for Gonzalez. Right hand down the pipe lands for Gonzalez. Another hard left hook to the body lands for Gonzalez. Penalosa lands a left hook, but Gonzalez sneaks in an uppercut. Right hand to the body lands for Gonzlez. Penalosa lands a left of his own to the body. Gonzalez digs another left hook to the body. 1-2 lands for Penalosa. They trade left hands. Gonzalez lands a right and a left upstairs to end the round. Round to Gonzalez.

Penalosa 47 Gonzalez 48

ROUND 6
Gonzalez lands a right hook. Penalosa fires a straight left to the body. Gonzalez being more active...lands a left upstairs and a right to the body. Gonzalez lands a left hook and a right hand down the pipe. A break in the action as the referee warns both men about headbutts. Penalosa lands a right hand. Nice left hook to the body lands for Gonzalez. Penalosa lands a straight left and Gonzalez makes him pay with another nice left hook to the body and an uppercut. Gonzalez landing more frequently now...right hand down the pipe and a left hook from Gonzalez to end the round. Round to Gonzalez.

Penalosa 56 Gonzalez 58

ROUND 7
Penalosa content to fire one punch at a time. Gonzalez lands a nice three punch combo and circles away. Penalosa lands a 1-. Gonzalez lands an uppercut. 1-2 lands for Gonzalez. Another HARD left hook to the body from Gonzalez knocks Penalosa off balance. 1-2 down the pipe and a left hook lands for Gonzalez. WOOOOOOOOOOOO....a GREAT body shot from Penalosa just drops Gonzalez. WOW...that's it....Gonzalez can't beat the count. WOW....a GREAT body shot from Penalosa just came out of nowhere. A classic liver shot that stops Gonzalez in his tracks.

2 minutes and 45 seconds of the 7th

The winner by way of knockout...

AND NEW WBO BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD

GERRY PENALOSA
BigG
GERRY WINS B KO via BODY SHO!!!! FUCK! GO GERRY!!!!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
WOW. That came out of nowhere. Big turn of events as Gonzalez gets KO'd with a body shot. Tough ending for Gonzalez as he was in control and gaining momentum. Gotta feel for him. He was doing well against Vazquez and got KO'd late, and then was doing very well against Penalosa and got KO'd. Good win for Penalosa though, as he deserved a break after getting jobbed against Ponce De Leon.
Kyle
NickBarker
Philippines is ahead 5-0 now, I believe.
_iodine_
what a fuckin LIVER shot!!! out of freakin nowhere!
thehype
Compubox

Gonzalez total punches: 103/467
Penalosa total punches: 69/357
Don Flamenco
Is that Katsidis in the corner of Team Philippines?
Southeastpaw
Poor Jhonny. A little reminiscent of the Vasquez fight in the sense where he was dominate up until the 7th round. Put Jhonny in some 6 round title fights and he has it made. I still believe that Jhonny will have his days as a good champ. He needs to go up in weight.
BigG
This is the happiest Ive been all year in boxing....GERRY at 35 is world champ again.
NickBarker
Even though I like Gonzalez's skills quite a bit, he's got to start winning these fights. He can't get by on these partial performances any longer.
Rivado
congrats Gerry, Wow.
BigG
GOnzalez is really a teriffic fighter...I thought he looked too strong for Gerry but man Gerry pulled it out. Gonzalez will probably be the WBO champion again as Gerry said this would be his last fight at 118 (the last fight of his career would be a rematch with De Leon if he beat Boom Boom)....

Nobody can beat Gonzalez at 118 right now (aside from Gerry of course).
Kijis Konar
Jhonny needs to regroup himself after this lost- two in a row, both by KO...

Congrats to Gerry! Very nice win!
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 11 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]353707[/snapback]

...and Silence Mabuza.
BigG
LOL JD...nuthugger....we both like Mabuza...but I'm not sure if he can beat Jhonny or Gerry. But he whoops up everyone else.
Don Flamenco
Nonito Donaire with the call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWp3rY0_00k
JD
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 12 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]353719[/snapback]
LOL JD...nuthugger....we both like Mabuza...but I'm not sure if he can beat Jhonny or Gerry. But he whoops up everyone else.

Silence Mabuza's handspeed will be too much for the very hurtable Gonzalez.
BigG
Maybe...it's a 60-40 type fight. Gonzalez the slight favorite.

QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Aug 12 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]353674[/snapback]
WOW. That came out of nowhere. Big turn of events as Gonzalez gets KO'd with a body shot. Tough ending for Gonzalez as he was in control and gaining momentum. Gotta feel for him. He was doing well against Vazquez and got KO'd late, and then was doing very well against Penalosa and got KO'd. Good win for Penalosa though, as he deserved a break after getting jobbed against Ponce De Leon.
Kyle

And getting jobbed in Japan and Korean too years ago.
Jack 1000
WOW!!!!

I had Gonzalez up 4-2 at the KO mark. New champion on a GREAT bodyshot KO!!!

This is a great victory!

Jack
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 11 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]353707[/snapback]
GOnzalez is really a teriffic fighter...I thought he looked too strong for Gerry but man Gerry pulled it out. Gonzalez will probably be the WBO champion again as Gerry said this would be his last fight at 118 (the last fight of his career would be a rematch with De Leon if he beat Boom Boom)....

C'mon BigGeorge you know Jhonny was whoopin Gerry that was somewhat of a lucky shot, in a rematch Jhonny would box his ears off.

They should definitly have a rematch seeing how Jhonny was winning pretty convincingly
BigG
Yeah..he could win a rematch. Or Gerry could knock him the fuck out again. Gerry is no pushover at 35.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 12 2007, 02:34 AM) [snapback]353735[/snapback]
Yeah..he could win a rematch. Or Gerry could knock him the fuck out again. Gerry is no pushover at 35.

Oh yhea I agree anything can happen in boxing we know that but Jhonny was giving him a boxing lesson I say next time Jhonny will be a little more careful and either outbox or stop Gerry late in the fight.

I give Gerry his props he took some hard shots and kept coming but I have to go with the more versatile fighter in the rematch.
BigG
Well, I thought Gerry won rounds 1 and 3...the rest he lost.

Izzy Vazques was getting whooped much worse then Gerry was.....and was knocked down TWICE against Jhonny...you might wanna see that fight first.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 12 2007, 03:07 AM) [snapback]353737[/snapback]
Well, I thought Gerry won rounds 1 and 3...the rest he lost.

Izzy Vazques was getting whooped much worse then Gerry was.....and was knocked down TWICE against Jhonny...you might wanna see that fight first.

Yhea I've seen that fight it was a good one but the bottom line is Vazquez stopped Gonzalez and gave him a much worser beating than Gerry did by the way boxing math doesn't work to well I think we all know that.
torvix2000
Here's what somebody who analyzed the fight said:

Gonzales was cruising along this fight shooting combinations and maintaining Penalosa at a distance, but Gonzales has a major flaw that becomes increasingly apparent as a fight goes on...

While Gonzales is good at throwing combinations, he tends to throw the same combination over and over. He usually throws the left jab followed by the right cross, followed by either a hook to the body or an uppercut.

The way I saw it, Penalosa timed his body punch well it was by no means a lucky punch. Gonzales had just finished throwing the left jab and right cross and was about to throw the uppercut, momentarily leaving his midsection exposed. Penalosa found the right moment to counter to the body and BAMM! Down goes Jhonny, down goes Jhonny! I like Penalosa, he has some good skills left in him and I'm not suprised he was able to win as Jerry is an excellent counterpuncher and Jhonny has a tendency to be predictable with his combinations.
WolfishPromistah
I agree with the strong possibilty of that quote, torvix, as I kept seeing Jerry begin to seemingly concentrate more on attempting to go to the body, even though many of his punches were targetted for the head. But it it seemed he was trying to get something going before he finally did. When he finally hit the mark, I yelled and smiled as I thought of Pac's attack on Morales to the body. As is seen in their second and third fights, much of his plan was to go for that area too, and both times it worked like a charm.
BigG
All I know is I'm REALLY loving the lower weight classes...

From 115-122 you have...

Israel Vazquez
Gerry Penalosa
Fernando Montiel
Jhonny Gonzalez
Rafael Marquez
Z Gorres
Martin Castillo
Cristian Mijares
Nonito Donaire
Jorge Arce
Vic Darchinyan
Daniel Ponce De Leon
Silence Mabuza
Alexander Munoz
Luis Alberto Perez

and more...

So many potential great matchups
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.