Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deleon vs. Bautista: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
This is for round by round reactions and post fight responses to the Deleon-Bautista fight on HBO B.A.D LIVE CALL IS TONIGHT ON HBO@ 9 PM CST. WEST COAST VIEWERS WITHOUT DIGITAL CABLE OR DISH MAY FIND SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

Jack

Administrator
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This fight is going to be insane. Ive been hyped for this all week, I gotta give De Leon the edge though.
Kyle
BigG
Gonna be a freakin war........One of the best HBO double headers of the year..
NickBarker
Go Bautista!
NickBarker
Ponce is swinging for the fences early.
NickBarker
Well, that was quick.
thehype
PREFIGHT
Bautista comes out first looking confident and ready to shock the world. Ponce De Leon comes out next with a smile on his face. He looks ready to go to war. "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN...THE TIME HAS COME TO SEE WHO IS EL MAS MACHO!"

ROUND 1
De Leon comes out quick and fires two left hands to the body. Bautista just misses with a quick left hook. Bautista lands a right hand down the midddle. De Leon lands a hard left of his own down the middle that appears to wobble Bautista. They clinch. Bautista lands two right hands. De Leon lands a hard left to the body. Left hand upstairs lands for De Leon. Bautista lands a right. De Leon lands a left hook upstairs. WOOOOOOOOOOOO....HARD left hand down the middle from De Leon drops Butista. He tries to get up but wobbles back to canvas. He's up, but he looks ready to go. De Leon pounces on him and lands another crushing left hand down the middle. Bautista is down again. That's it. The ref stops it.

Ponce De Leon by TKO 2:30 of round

The winner by way of TKO...

AND STILL WBO JR. FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD

DANIEL PONCE DE LEON

POSTFIGHT

Compubox

De Leon total punches: 20/65
Baustista total punches: 4/36

De Leon power punches: 19/39
Bautista power punches: 3/24
BigG
De Leons power is fuckin insane.
Southeastpaw
DeLeon has that mad look. The shaved look fits him better.
_iodine_
You could tell that guy meant business just on his ring walk alone. Shit, even i was intimidated. He didn't waste any time. nice fuckin 10th 1st round KO.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Damn that was insane. I had a feeling it would be quick since Bautista has chin problems, and De Leon can punch like hell. They went at it, and Bautista got nailed. Bautista got nailed with that left a few times, and im surprised they didn't stop it after the first knockdown. He's got a lot of heart though getting up like that, and not giving up. He'll be back, as he's still a really good fighter. He's young, and De Leon is just a huge puncher. Good win for De Leon. Maybe he can get a rematch with Penalosa or Caballero, as Marquez and Vazquez will be fighting again in 08. Either one of those fights will be put on BAD, and they would be good fights.
Kyle
Southeastpaw
Rey is only 21. You know he had the jitters in there. Impressive shit from the mean lookin Ponce man though.
Rivado
doh!
jrw
Should the ref have counted after the 2nd knock down, especially early in the fight? Seemed like he should've given Rey a chance to get up, especially late in the first round.
NickBarker
Well, Ponce really looked a lot better than I expected him. Hopefully he gets a good fight in his next bout, Caballero wouldn't be bad.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
122 is insane right now. You got Marquez and Vazquez who are gonna go at it again. You got titlists, like Penalosa and De Leon who are coming to fight everytime as well. You got a freak of nature in Caballero who will give anybody problems in there at 5'11. You also got contenders like Rey Bautista and Johnny Gonzalez who are going to be looking for other opportunities. Dont forget Jorge Lacierva who had a good showing last weekend. 122 is hot right now, and there are many fights to be made.
Kyle
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Aug 11 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]353699[/snapback]
122 is insane right now. You got Marquez and Vazquez who are gonna go at it again. You got titlists, like Penalosa and De Leon who are coming to fight everytime as well. You got a freak of nature in Caballero who will give anybody problems in there at 5'11. You also got contenders like Rey Bautista and Johnny Gonzalez who are going to be looking for other opportunities. Dont forget Jorge Lacierva who had a good showing last weekend. 122 is hot right now, and there are many fights to be made.
Kyle

You can throw Ricardo Cordoba in the mix there as well.
pastor method
plus there's the one who seems so easy to overlook: undefeated IBF champ steve molitor who nearly took takalani ndlovu's head off with a right hook counter going backwards in his last fight- ndlovu had never been stopped and molitor picked him apart and destroyed him in the 9th.

i think there's a good chance molitor could box circles around ponce. but jesus can that guy ever punch.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Shit i forgot all about Steve Molitor. That dude is the goods from what i hear, and he's right in the mix as well. There are some great fights to be made in this division, and the end of 07 will be insane with fights for this division. 08 will be insane too for this division.
Kyle
_iodine_
that Lacierva/Caballero fight was fucked up. After tonight, i just can't see De Leon Losing to Caballero.
Southeastpaw
From what I have seen from Cordoba, I believe he has a huge chance at beating any of these guys at this weight. Well, maybe not a huge chance at Vasquez or Marquez, but he would still have a good chance with them.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I can see Ponce De Leon losing to Caballero again no doubt. That dude is a freak of nature at 5'11, and beat him very convincingly the first time. I dont see Golden Boy putting De Leon in with Caballero again anytime soon. I think Caballero would beat him again using that reach advantage. That jab would keep De Leon off balance all night. GBP should do a rematch with Penalosa, and unify those titles. They had the controversy, and it would be a good fight. De Leon has a better chance against Penalosa than Caballero. Should be some good fights coming up.
Kyle
Kijis Konar
147 and 122 are the best divisions right now. Ponce made a statement tonight, and hopefully he'll get a rematch with Caballero or a big fight against Marquez or Vasquez.

By the way, Bautista will be fine. He's still young and learning.
BigG
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 12 2007, 03:29 AM) [snapback]353708[/snapback]
147 and 122 are the best divisions right now. Ponce made a statement tonight, and hopefully he'll get a rematch with Caballero or a big fight against Marquez or Vasquez.

By the way, Bautista will be fine. He's still young and learning.

Yup. Bautsita is 21...and although this is a bad loss....he can get back. He is 23-1 (18)...give him a few more fights or maybe move back down to 118.
_iodine_
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Aug 11 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]353706[/snapback]
I can see Ponce De Leon losing to Caballero again no doubt. That dude is a freak of nature at 5'11, and beat him very convincingly the first time. I dont see Golden Boy putting De Leon in with Caballero again anytime soon. I think Caballero would beat him again using that reach advantage. That jab would keep De Leon off balance all night. GBP should do a rematch with Penalosa, and unify those titles. They had the controversy, and it would be a good fight. De Leon has a better chance against Penalosa than Caballero. Should be some good fights coming up.
Kyle

vs Lacierva was the first I've seen of Caballero and it appeared he didn't really care to apply the reach advantage or do anything else very impressively. Guess i need to see more of him.
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Aug 12 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]353721[/snapback]
vs Lacierva was the first I've seen of Caballero and it appeared he didn't really care to apply the reach advantage or do anything else very impressively. Guess i need to see more of him.

Caballero, I believe, needs to move up in weight. He looked weak and lethargic last week, not like the fighter that whooped Ponce a few years ago.
Big Slim Sweet
I like Ponce a lot better with the shaved head
kidbazooka1
People in the Phillipines were all over Bautista's nuts saying he was gonna be the next Manny. De Leon whooped that ass boy can he punch handsdown the hrdest puncher at 122lb and below.

Beautiful f*ckin KO.
Fitz
Looks like the Philippines by a landslide.

gods son
deleon is a beast, reminded me of TONG-PO from Kickboxer!!

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(gods son @ Aug 12 2007, 04:02 AM) [snapback]353752[/snapback]
deleon is a beast, reminded me of TONG-PO from Kickboxer!!

Yhea he looked like a badass when entering the ring but man can he punch probably p4p one of the hardest punchers in boxing today
torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 12 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]353734[/snapback]
People in the Phillipines were all over Bautista's nuts saying he was gonna be the next Manny. De Leon whooped that ass boy can he punch handsdown the hrdest puncher at 122lb and below.

Beautiful f*ckin KO.

Doesn't matter how hard you punch if you don't have a chin.

Well, in fairness, they may be right since Pacquiao got knocked out early in his career. And Bautista is only 21. He may well make another Pacman. That is... if he can grow a chin much like what Pacquiao did.
Lil-lightsout
Okay, so Ponce had a nice KO over a young prospect, but now everyone is all over is nuts. This guy is not that good. I have seen him fight numerous times and never was impressed with him. He did what he had to do last night with a guy who obviously does not take a good punch. All I am saying is he will be exposed again once he fights an elite fighter in this division.
Southeastpaw
I know, the DeLeon bandwagon is ON now. I am with you lillightsout. DeLeon has nice power, but I have seen him a couple times and has not impressed me much. Yes, last night was an impressive stoppage and at the same time for people who have not seen him before, you really didn't get to see much except for his power. He lacks in a few departments. Rey is only 21 and looked very tense in there. Still a good win for Ponce, but I still expect to see Rey move on and become a champ. He still has a lot to learn and believe it or not looks more polished and skilled now than his recent conqueror is.
BigG
I thought De Leon's fight with the much older/smaller Gerry Penalosa was a DRAW....it's incredible how one judge managed to score that 120-108 for De Leon.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 12 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]353820[/snapback]
I know, the DeLeon bandwagon is ON now. I am with you lillightsout. DeLeon has nice power, but I have seen him a couple times and has not impressed me much. Yes, last night was an impressive stoppage and at the same time for people who have not seen him before, you really didn't get to see much except for his power. He lacks in a few departments. Rey is only 21 and looked very tense in there. Still a good win for Ponce, but I still expect to see Rey move on and become a champ. He still has a lot to learn and believe it or not looks more polished and skilled now than his recent conqueror is.

I agree that he still needs to work on his technique I've said that several times in the past but polished or not he still was able to KTFO of Bautista and thats what matters.

Bautista was never beaten and was highly regarded by many of his countrymen saying that he was gonna run all over De Leon. Im not saying Daniel is the best at that weight ofcourse not but his power has carried him a pretty long way so far and if he picks up a new trainer and learns some better technique he can be a killer.
hornitosmonster
I was at the Ponce vs Caballero fight. I think Caballero was too lanky and surprised everyone with his strength that night. Ponce would need to work the body early then go up top in the mid-late rounds.

We were at the apron ...right in Caballero's corner and Kimo was yelling instructions into Caballero corner that night...LOL

Guess it worked

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(pastor method @ Aug 11 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]353701[/snapback]
plus there's the one who seems so easy to overlook: undefeated IBF champ steve molitor who nearly took takalani ndlovu's head off with a right hook counter going backwards in his last fight- ndlovu had never been stopped and molitor picked him apart and destroyed him in the 9th.

i think there's a good chance molitor could box circles around ponce. but jesus can that guy ever punch.

I'm glad you mentioned him. The kid is quick as lightning, maybe the best stick and move fighter at 122. Caballero is a great boxer himself but he doesn't have the handspeed of Molitor.
WolfishPromistah
Man -- too sad. They say the kid Bautista's loss is shameful, and messed up the building of a yellow brick road in his hometown. Tell me the pressure ain't tight up in boxing. [Smh]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.