Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tito Signs to fight Roy?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Eschoolu4
Supposedly Tito was going to fly to Florida today to sign the fight contract. Does anyone have any updated info on this? Has it happened?
kidbazooka1
I hope Tito makes a comeback boxing can use another superstar right now.
WolfishPromistah
kidbazooka: "...boxing can use another superstar right now."

Yep, one who dares to come back and waste our time just a lil bit more than he has already with this type nonsense, crowding up the space in boxing standings unnecessarily. It reminds me of how people wanted desperately to hold onto the memories of Jordan in basketball after his years were up. It seems so hard for the stars and fans alike to just take a picture of the old abandoned building (the greatness of the star's career) then learn to move on for good.
Boss Hogg
Here is video of Tito signing the docs: Copy and paste to the browser fella's .....it's on!!!

mms://donking.wmod.llnwd.net/a1772/o15/presser.wmv
BigG
Check the frontpage...it's on!
WolfishPromistah
Well, he does at least look good. I wonder why it seems so hard to continue to exercise when these guys' careers are not in full swing.

Somebody, I think, said it not too long ago actually. It's that this fight is in order to again try to set up a fight with Bernard at the end. Winner gets first grabs, believe dat.
Michigan Assassin
I'm like most others when I think why is Roy taking fights like this. He should either challenge a top 10 guy, one of the beltholders or simply retire.

Anyways I hope Tito knocks him out but not so sure it will happen.
Michigan Assassin
But I am intersted to see what Roy has at 170 if he can even make that weight.
Rabbit Punch2
ESPN is reporting it now. What a stupid match-up. What's the point?
JD
This is the right fight for Roy Jones.

Come on, admit it...everyone of you guys knows that you are buying this thing.
Kijis Konar
Tito, you are an asshole. This fight sucks. Jones will beat your ass.
BigG
If Jones wins, let's hope he fights Dawson or Hopkins. Trindad wont be much of a challenge.
Kijis Konar
Why is Tito doing this? I don't understand! Is he a fuckin' retard?
Chi-Town
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Aug 13 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]353917[/snapback]
Well, he does at least look good. I wonder why it seems so hard to continue to exercise when these guys' careers are not in full swing.

And I wonder why guys expect retired fighters to stay in fighting shape for the rest of their lives. I'm not on a soapbox here I swear, but anyone who has boxed knows that fighting shape is far different than just being in shape. The things these guys put themselves through to show up looking the way that we see them on Saturday night when they step through the ropes is brutal to say the least. Far more taxing than any other training regimen in any other sport except maybe for soccer, and this is coming from someone who ran cross country and never fought more than 4 rounds. Its unrealistic to expect these guys to put themselves through that when they're not fighting.
BrutalBodyShots
Not only should Jones easily win, but he should register his first stoppage in 5+ years if he faces Trinidad.

Trinidad at 160 was soft; I can't imagine what a 170 pound Trinidad would look like and even worse perform like especially after the layoff.

The only thing that gives this fight a sparkle of hope to be interesting is the fact that Jones will have a lot of trouble making 170 IMO. I think there's a good chance that he doesn't even make the weight. If he does however, I see him being spent after 5 or 6 rounds. Fortunately however, I'd take him to dust Trinidad early in about the 4th or 5th after banking 2 quick knockdowns in the early rounds with lead left hooks.

imperial
Lets us have a moment of silence righ now for the soon to be executed Tito Trinidad ..You got balls man but they will be the end of u .
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Aug 13 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]353914[/snapback]
kidbazooka: "...boxing can use another superstar right now."

Yep, one who dares to come back and waste our time just a lil bit more than he has already with this type nonsense, crowding up the space in boxing standings unnecessarily. It reminds me of how people wanted desperately to hold onto the memories of Jordan in basketball after his years were up. It seems so hard for the stars and fans alike to just take a picture of the old abandoned building (the greatness of the star's career) then learn to move on for good.

I rather watch Tito in action than watching Hopkin, Wright, Floyd and Taylor who will bore you to f*kin death, atleast Tito comes to fight not like those muthaf*ckers.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 13 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]353934[/snapback]
I rather watch Tito in action than watching Hopkin, Wright, Floyd and Taylor who will bore you to f*kin death, atleast Tito comes to fight not like those muthaf*ckers.

He comes to fight but he can't fight.

Kijis Konar
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 13 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]353936[/snapback]
He comes to fight but he can't fight.

Word.
Method
I hope Tito makes a comeback boxing can use another superstar right now.
Not to be confused with a star that has already fallen, which is what Trinidad is now. A mere flicker in the distant boxing sky.

This fight is a joke. Two has beens that never will be again. Jones Jr will be afraid of getting his chin checked, and Trinidad will try his balancing act, once again, on two left feet.

Trinidad may come to fight, but like Brutal said, HE CAN'T FIGHT.

Jones will not get a fight with Hopkins...nor will Tito. This fight is not to set that up. Neither fight does anything for Hopkins' legacy. I would say Trinidad might have a better chance at getting Hopkins in the ring, but it would have to be for a $20M payday for Bernard...that's the only way he'll put Trinidad out of his misery...otherwise, he will see no point in fighting a dead man.

I won't be ordering this fight, JD

PS -- I loved the part in that video where the lady is taking footage of Don posing with Tito and she saiy, "Don fix yourself up, you look a little ragged".
Jack 1000
It's become a battle of the has-beens in boxing:

First Vargas-Mayorga and now if it comes off Jones-Trinidad. Each fight is interesting but not PPV worthy. Of course, I think that about every fight not being worthy of PPV except two big name punchers in a closed-circuit or public demanding contest where you know it's likely to be a war going in.

If Tito's still got power, he wins, but might have to come from behind to do it. If Jones can avoid being hit by a hard Tito shot, he'll play it safe, weary of Trinidad's power and take a decision. If Trinidad still has his power and lands on the button, it's over. This could be defined as a career ending fight for the loser. Glen Johnson is not known as a puncher and we saw what he did to Jones. The conventional early wisdom is either Jones by safe decision or Trinidad by brutal KO. (Yes, even know, if Trinidad's power is still with him, it is a concern for Roy.) Here's food for thought: How much did Tarver take out of Jones in winning 2/3 one by brutal KO vs. Trinidad getting beaten down by Hopkins?

It's not totally a pointless fight. In my view, it tells EXACTLY that the loser will need to retire and the winner will be able to fight again. Although for how much longer remains unknown. I don't see a close decision in this fight. I can not tell you whom I favor as I see a 50% shot of either scenario described above occurring in this fight.

Jack
The CEO
I guess Tito don't mind losing for money. Horrible matchup for him...ideal matchup for Jones..

Shitty fight overall...won't pay for it....
JD
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 13 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]353927[/snapback]
Why is Tito doing this? I don't understand! Is he a fuckin' retard?

Attention whore.

I think he misses what Cotto currently has.
BigG
kidbazooka1
I can see Jones boxing circles around him but we all know Roy can't take a punch if Tito can land a clean shot on him I say he has a chance of stopping him.
Kijis Konar
God, Jones looks old...
salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 13 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]353941[/snapback]
Attention whore.

I think he misses what Cotto currently has.

Nah, it's got to be money. Don King has explained to him that there are no stars left in boxing and that there's a ton of cash to be made if he beats an emaciated, way past it Jones. Tito can then fight Oscar at 160 in May and make another $30MM.

I love Cotto, but Trinidad was way bigger than Cotto. Not only was Tito willing to fight everyone, but he was also infinitely more charasmatic.

And I'm with you; every single person on this board is gonna sell their mothers if they have to to get this fight. And given the fact that Jones is so past it and the fact that he's going to be totally drained at 170, I think Tito has a real chance. And if Tito wins, May 5 2008 will do 2.4MM homes.

BigG
Jones is way past it, but he didn't look too bad in his last fight. He looked VERY fast. I can see Jones stopping Tito easily.
kidbazooka1
C' mon fellas you know every gret boxer has not been able to walk away from the sport without ruining there legacy.

Robinson,
Ali
leonard
Hearns
Olivares
Gomez
Chavez
Tyson
Holyfield
and many more have all stayed in the sport too long or made foolsih comeback attpempts they just can't seem to get enough.

Hopkins won't retire unitl he gets stopped or keeps getting beat just waite and see very few rarely leave on top.
JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]353949[/snapback]
Nah, it's got to be money. Don King has explained to him that there are no stars left in boxing and that there's a ton of cash to be made if he beats an emaciated, way past it Jones. Tito can then fight Oscar at 160 in May and make another $30MM.

I love Cotto, but Trinidad was way bigger than Cotto. Not only was Tito willing to fight everyone, but he was also infinitely more charasmatic.

And I'm with you; every single person on this board is gonna sell their mothers if they have to to get this fight. And given the fact that Jones is so past it and the fact that he's going to be totally drained at 170, I think Tito has a real chance. And if Tito wins, May 5 2008 will do 2.4MM homes.

Trinidad was much bigger, that's what makes it harder on him in my opinion.

I think he struggles seeing Cotto get all this attention, because let's face it, for years he was the Island's lovechild.

Tito is set financially. He does not need money in the least, to me this is something other than money, and the only thing it can be is attention and renewed fame.
BrutalBodyShots
Trinidad will be at his biggest speed disadvantage ever against Jones, and it will be something he cannot overcome.

I thought Trinidad was slow as hell at 160; I can't imagine how slow he'll be at 170.

salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 13 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]353952[/snapback]
Trinidad was much bigger, that's what makes it harder on him in my opinion.

I think he struggles seeing Cotto get all this attention, because let's face it, for years he was the Island's lovechild.

Tito is set financially. He does not need money in the least, to me this is something other than money, and the only thing it can be is attention and renewed fame.

I'm not sure that any fighter that does business with Don King actually "owns" anything.

And I think being Tito in Puerto Rico is like being an ex-president here in that I'd bet anything that he gets a standing ovation everytime he walks into a restaurant.

Anyway, you're probably right to a certain extent, but I think that the fact that Jones is so beatable right now and the fact that if Tito knows that if he taps that chin right, he'll probably make more money fightinging Jones/DLH than he did in his entire career combined has something to do with it. Also, going out with such a humiliating loss to Winky probably had something to do with it as well.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Jones looks desperate agreeing to fight at 170. He's too old to make that weight and being that drained is going to make his chin that much weaker. Either way, King makes money!

BigG
I love the fact that Tito is coming back but maybe he should've come back at 154......Alot of winnable fights for him there.
Jack 1000

I would agree with this if they were in their primes and we were talking about this fight 5-8 years ago, but not now. They are both shot or near shot. Or at least no where near what they used to be. I mean, Trinidad-Vargas did what, about a million? Roy Jones was never even a big PPV draw in his prime. Trinidad was and will always be huge in Puerto Rico, but he needed Delahoya in the other corner to get the world to know who he was. How are these former champions near a shell of their former selves going to attract big PPV numbers? I don't see this at all. In fact, I would venture that Mayorga-Vargas will do better PPV numbers than Jones-Trinidad. As shot as both Mayorga and Vargas are, they are great trash talkers, and that can boost PPV sales by a good 50%. Roy and Tito are just doing this for money. As Gil Clancy said before Leonard-Hagler, which I am IN NO WAY COMPARING THIS FIGHT, but the analogy. Trinidad-Jones is an "Old Timer's crackerjack day" nothing more and nothing less. Puerto Rico and Tito's rabid following will build this up like Ali-Frazier, hey let them. It's like when Gatti used to fight in MSG or New Jersey. But I just don't think outside of that population of people or Trinidad's fans, that this fight will be as huge to the rest of the country as people think.

What's in this for the winner other than more money? What's in it for the loser except retirement or worse? King tried this with Ali-Holmes back in 1980 with a huge build up and look what happened? How can people see this as even a good fight going in? It's two has-beens looking for a last payday. I am not fooled.

Jack
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 13 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]353953[/snapback]
Trinidad will be at his biggest speed disadvantage ever against Jones, and it will be something he cannot overcome.

I thought Trinidad was slow as hell at 160; I can't imagine how slow he'll be at 170.

He can't be any slower than Glen Johnson.

I agree with you that on paper Jones outclasses Tito from every angle, but Jones hasn't been the same since coming back down to 175. And in the meantime, he's gotten older and his chin is definitely fragile and losing the additional 5 pounds is going to be damn hard.

If Jones was going to fight at 170, he should have fought Winky. Jones would pick Winky apart without worrying about getting ko'd, but then again, he'd be making way less money to do it.
Lil-lightsout
Roy Jones will destroy Trinidad, unless Tito gets extremely lucky and lands a KO punch. Roy will pick Trinidad apart and KO him early. I will watch this fight, even though it does not make any sense for the sport of boxing. If Tito wants to continue to fight, why the fuck doesn't he take tune-ups and fight lesser competition and shake some ring rust off? Why does he always step right into big fights? I was always a Jones fan, and always HATED Trinidad with a passion, so I hope Roy humiliates him. If Trinidad somehow pulls off the upset, does anyone else feel Roys legacy is gonna be even further tarnished?
Southeastpaw
Holy Shit what a waste of time. Both these guys were my heros in the ring. Emphasis on the word "were". This is a fight I would not watch even if it was free. This shit would do nothing but depress me horribly.
imperial
Hey I bet this is a thousand times more entertaining than Hopkins and Wright !
salvador
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Aug 13 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]353956[/snapback]
Roy Jones was never even a big PPV draw in his prime.

How are these former champions near a shell of their former selves going to attract big PPV numbers? I don't see this at all. In fact, I would venture that Mayorga-Vargas will do better PPV numbers than Jones-Trinidad. As shot as both Mayorga and Vargas are, they are great trash talkers, and that can boost PPV sales by a good 50%. Roy and Tito are just doing this for money. As Gil Clancy said before Leonard-Hagler, which I am IN NO WAY COMPARING THIS FIGHT, but the analogy. Trinidad-Jones is an "Old Timer's crackerjack day" nothing more and nothing less. Puerto Rico and Tito's rabid following will build this up like Ali-Frazier, hey let them. It's like when Gatti used to fight in MSG or New Jersey. But I just don't think outside of that population of people or Trinidad's fans, that this fight will be as huge to the rest of the country as people think.

What's in this for the winner other than more money? What's in it for the loser except retirement or worse? King tried this with Ali-Holmes back in 1980 with a huge build up and look what happened? How can people see this as even a good fight going in? It's two has-beens looking for a last payday. I am not fooled.

Jack

Jones never had a big time PPV opponent in his prime. If Jones had fought Tyson, that fight could have been as big as Tyson-Lewis, or at least in the ballpark.

And I think that this fight will do huge PPV, like 1MM plus. And I also think that as much as both guys are in it for the money, both guys are egomaniacs who have suffered humiliating defeats and want to end their careers with one last great win to make things right. For Jones, that means Hopkins. For Tito, that means DLH. Both Jones-Hopkins 2 and Tito-DLH 2 will be way bigger if either Jones or Tito gets the ko.

CyruS
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 13 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]353962[/snapback]
Hey I bet this is a thousand times more entertaining than Hopkins and Wright !

And does way more buys. laugh.gif
fantasiabruja
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 13 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]353948[/snapback]
Exactly, that's what I been saying for a while and a reason why I found articles from that PR newspaper so annoying every couple of weeks. Tito wants DLH, Tito wants RJJ, Tito wants Mayweather and so on.

Here's an idea stop reading that paper!
_iodine_
I'm gonna purchase this fight for what it is: Two washed-up has-beens tryin' to make a little coin. Can't blame 'em. After all, they gave you so many great moments, why not give back? It's the unofficial washed-up has-been fund. it's been around for decades and it will continue to prosper. The beautiful thing is it doesn't matter who wins because this match-up has absolutely no significant value whatsoever. Those of us curious as to what these old farts can do to eachother will find this bout valuable, for scientific reasons, but those of us thinking either one of these guys are going to make any kind of a comeback are just dreaming. Just watch the fight for what it is. We deserve the laugh....
fantasiabruja
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Aug 13 2007, 09:58 PM) [snapback]353970[/snapback]
I'm gonna purchase this fight for what it is: Two washed-up has-beens tryin' to make a little coin. Can't blame 'em. After all, they gave you so many great moments, why not give back? It's the unofficial washed-up has-been fund. it's been around for decades and it will continue to prosper. The beautiful thing is it doesn't matter who wins because this match-up has absolutely no significant value whatsoever. Those of us curious as to what these old farts can do to eachother will find this bout valuable, for scientific reasons, but those of us thinking either one of these guys are going to make any kind of a comeback are just dreaming. Just watch the fight for what it is. We deserve the laugh....

I agree except for the laughing part!
cole102
only tinidad has signed, not roy and we all know how he is. hell prob demand more money
and i wouldnt be suprised if this never happens
JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 13 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]353954[/snapback]
I'm not sure that any fighter that does business with Don King actually "owns" anything.

And I think being Tito in Puerto Rico is like being an ex-president here in that I'd bet anything that he gets a standing ovation everytime he walks into a restaurant.

Anyway, you're probably right to a certain extent, but I think that the fact that Jones is so beatable right now and the fact that if Tito knows that if he taps that chin right, he'll probably make more money fightinging Jones/DLH than he did in his entire career combined has something to do with it. Also, going out with such a humiliating loss to Winky probably had something to do with it as well.

The more I think about this, the more I think that Jones looks desperate agreeing to fight at 170. He's too old to make that weight and being that drained is going to make his chin that much weaker. Either way, King makes money!

Yes, Don King is a crook, but it's not like Tito made imaginary money...he made millions upon millions, even with DK getting rich.

When I talk fame, I am talking on a much broader scale than the love he receives back home which he will ALWAYS be the recipient of. I am talking boxing spotlight...I am talking creating a buzz and being in the news, not being a former great.

At the end of the day, I think Tito thinks he can catch Jones and Jones thinks he can avoid Tito's lefthook as long as he is not standing in one place when Trinidad plants his feet.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 13 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]353957[/snapback]
He can't be any slower than Glen Johnson.

He doesn't have to be. If Trinidad could throw 100 punches per round maybe your statement would matter, but being that Trinidad couldn't do that in his prime which was 3+ divisions and 10 years ago he certainly won't be able to do that now.

Trinidad's game plan will be to land a single left hook. Johnson's game plan was to land anything and everything he could. Apples to oranges.

salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Aug 13 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]353974[/snapback]
At the end of the day, I think Tito thinks he can catch Jones and Jones thinks he can avoid Tito's lefthook as long as he is not standing in one place when Trinidad plants his feet.

I think you're right.
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 13 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]353976[/snapback]
He doesn't have to be. If Trinidad could throw 100 punches per round maybe your statement would matter, but being that Trinidad couldn't do that in his prime which was 3+ divisions and 10 years ago he certainly won't be able to do that now.

Trinidad's game plan will be to land a single left hook. Johnson's game plan was to land anything and everything he could. Apples to oranges.

Johnson threw a lot of punches, but I don't think it was anywhere near 100+ per round. Anyway, on paper, all those shots from Johnson should have left him wide open to counters all night, but Jones never took advantage of those opportunities. Tito is more selective with his punches (and that's probably a bad thing), but he has a left hook that can end the fight at any time. And with Jones being 170 when he should be fighting at 190, if Tito puts pressure on Jones all night, Jones will tire and Tito could get lucky.

On paper this fight is Jones by a fairly wide UD, but I just really think that his chin is so shot that Tito has a very real chance of taking it by ko.
Michigan Assassin
Jones is so faded you guys are talking as though this is a prime Jones versus a way past it Trinidad. I think the main difference between the two is that Jones has been dominated and had his chin cracked twice, while Tito was outboxed by a clever fighter in Winky.

Jones whould be the favorite going in but I haven't been impressed with this second part of Jones' career.
BigG
Trinidad and Don King called Roy and Roy accepted the challenge.....Trinidad: "This will be the 3rd time you get knocked out Roy!".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.