Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez jr vs Malignaggi?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
kidbazooka1
what do you guy think about the possibility of Chavez Jr fighting Malignaggi?

This would be a huge step up for Chavez. Im suprised they called out Malignaggi who is a very difficult fighter to fight but I guees they feel that Paulie can't hurt Chavez and the viciouse bodyshots that young Julio throws maybe too much for Paulie down the stretch, either way I think this is a very intriguing match up that may answer alot of question about Chavez.
salvador
If Cotto can't ko Malignaggi, Chavez has no chance. Malignaggi is too polished for Chavez and will take a fairly easy ud.
CyruS
Paulie's easiest fight of his career. Wide UD.
kidbazooka1
I think you guys are underestimating Jr. I know it's hard to be convince of a fighter who is the son of a legend but I think he has a very good chance at beating Paulie, he has more power, height, reach and his body punches are top notch he will hunt Paulie down and wear him out to take a UD, all Pualie can do is survive.
kidbazooka1
Jr is also very strong physicaly he doesn't waste his punches and is pretty accurate Malignaggi has speed and experience over Chavez but thats about it. I see Paulie coming out in the first round standing toe to toe with Chavez to try and get his respect but once he feels Jr's power and bodyshots he'll think twice about exchanging with him and will go inot survival mode. I see this as the fight where Chavez will prove that he is the real deal and everyone will begine to take him seriouse as a fighter.
Elijah
I think people are underestimating Jr. too. Like others said, he does a great job working the body and I believe he will have a reach and height advantage over "motor mouth" too. Only way Paulie wins is to run for 12 rounds and get the decision. It's gonna be a much closer fight than most think.

Panchito Bojado called Malignaggi out too, looks like everyone is starting to get tired of dudes mouth.
dj necrogenic
Paulie better hope Chavez beats him, because if not my boy Panchito will brutally KO him.. Just as he would have done years ago. Paulie days as title holder are numbered
BigG
Maliganaggi went 12 brutal rounds with Miguel Cotto...and argubaly took 5 rounds. Chavez has no chance.

Malinaggi UD 12 120-108....I wouldn't be suprised to see Chavez Jr. get stopped late.
Lil-lightsout
Chavez Jr. fought absolutely no one, Paulie will whip him easily, and I can not stand Malinaggi.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Aug 14 2007, 12:04 PM) [snapback]354044[/snapback]
Chavez Jr. fought absolutely no one, Paulie will whip him easily, and I can not stand Malinaggi.

Oh, and before Cotto, Paulie had taken on all of the top Jr. Welters right?
hardhead
Why is Chavez calling out someone one weight class below him(at the most a small 147 guy) He should take on a guy in his own weight class. I mean the guy's already a huge welter and probably won't be there for more then a couple years. The reason I don't take Chavez Jr serious is because he's fought BUMS up until now and while he's looked great KOing bums, remember they're bums...I'd rather see him fight a guy like Gomez who's more his natural weight. Malinaggi IMO would box JR ass off for 12 rounds, too much speed for JR to lands those body shots plus JR defense is VERY suspect, he gets hits fairly easy by far lessor fighters...I don't think Malinaggi would have a problem hitting him(regardless of how much power you have, punches accumulate).
singletrack
Jr. looks ok, but it is really hard to tell because he fights bums. On the other hand, we know Malignaggi is tough and a solid boxer. I'd have to go with Malignaggi just based on experience, the fact that I've seen him fight decent fighters and, of course, Cotto.

I'd like to see him fight Gomez also - that is a good call there.
Ironhead
Some of the people on this thread must be on crack or something. JC jr. brutally hunting Paulie down and knocking him out? Anyone who said this must not have been at there right state of mind. Let's review:

1) JC jr. Who in the hell has this clown fought!!?? Yah he's been knocking everyone out in his past few fights, but they're just a bunch of stiffs. Jr. is just a stiff fighting other stiffs period.

2) Whoever said that if cotto couldn't knock out Paulie then Jr. won't be able to either has been doing their homework Cotto was big for 140 and beat paulie down for the majority of the fight, but couldn't finish him off Paulie could definitely take a punch and he's a pretty damn good counter-puncher too Jr. punches a little too wide and I think Paulie will capitalize on that and maybe catch Jr. off balance and knock him down like he did with N'dou

Paulie W UD Jr.
Crow
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 14 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]354041[/snapback]
Maliganaggi went 12 brutal rounds with Miguel Cotto...and argubaly took 5 rounds. Chavez has no chance.

Malinaggi UD 12 120-108....I wouldn't be suprised to see Chavez Jr. get stopped late.

WHAT?!?! laugh.gif laugh.gif Paulie ain't stopping shit, he couldn't break a cracked eggshell, noway is he stopping someone bigger than him.

bullshit Chavez has no chance, he has two hands right? is much bigger than Paulie, right? he has a big chance to upset Paulie.

The Chavez camp is smart in taking this fight, Paulie has NO chance in scoring a KO, and if he gets outboxed it's not like Paulie would ruin him ala Vargas/Trinidad.
dj necrogenic
I'm not sure but isnt it Paulie who started calling him out... Started calling him a bum, after his last win?
Elijah
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Jr. callin Malignaggi out.

I think this is a good fight for boxing though. Two young up and comers going at it to see who moves on to bigger and better things. What boxing needs more of these days.
24 A BRICK
Chavez Jr is trash. he will probably go 50-0 before he finally signs a contract to fight someone who isn't a bartender.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(24 A BRICK @ Aug 14 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]354080[/snapback]
Chavez Jr is trash. he will probably go 50-0 before he finally signs a contract to fight someone who isn't a bartender.

Yeah, god forbid a 21 year old kid still not having fought at least 4 P4P fighters, he's 5 years younger than Paulie Malignaggi, and people are saying Chavez is moving too slow?
Jayhawkman
One thing nobody has really touched upon is that Malignaggi fights at Jr. Welterweight and JCC Jr. has fought his last 4 or 5 fights as a Jr. Middleweight (a difference of 14 pounds). I think Malignaggi is overrated, but I do have to give him credit for going the distance agains Cotto. Do you guys remember what he looked like at the end of that fight?? He looked like a mutant. It would be a good fight to see on Boxing After Dark or as an undercard on a big PPV.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Jayhawkman @ Aug 14 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]354084[/snapback]
One thing nobody has really touched upon is that Malignaggi fights at Jr. Welterweight and JCC Jr. has fought his last 4 or 5 fights as a Jr. Middleweight (a difference of 14 pounds). I think Malignaggi is overrated, but I do have to give him credit for going the distance agains Cotto. Do you guys remember what he looked like at the end of that fight?? He looked like a mutant. It would be a good fight to see on Boxing After Dark or as an undercard on a big PPV.

Paulie has said he would fight him at Welterweight. Thats a weight Chavez Jr might be able to make
BrutalBodyShots
Malignaggi by decision, 117-111/116-112 or so.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 14 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]354051[/snapback]
Oh, and before Cotto, Paulie had taken on all of the top Jr. Welters right?

I guarantee you that Paulie's competition was much tougher than Chavez coming up. Chavez is following in his old mans footsteps by fighting taxi-cab drivers and bums off the streets of Mexico. Also, how many fucking fights does junior need before he actually steps up his competition? 40,50,60 fights??? Chavez is an overrated prospect who is fighting off his fathers name, kind of like Camacho Jr. got exposed after he stepped up his competition. So DJ, care to tell me when Chavez is going to be ready to fight fight someone with a pulse?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 14 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]354083[/snapback]
Yeah, god forbid a 21 year old kid still not having fought at least 4 P4P fighters, he's 5 years younger than Paulie Malignaggi, and people are saying Chavez is moving too slow?

Ever hear of a fighter named Juan Diaz? He is a real fighter! He is real young and a Champ who fights anyone, he did not need 40 fights before he actually fought tough competition.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 14 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]354116[/snapback]
I bet Paulie also had an amateur career as well, no?

What's so hard for people to understand that he had no amateur career? So answer one simple question. Would you like a guy with NO amateur experience at all to jump in and face the same guys that fighters who have had decent ameature careers face? lol.

You are going to tell me that the great Julio Cesar Chavez' son never boxed or fought at all and just one day suddenly turned pro without ever lacing up a pair of gloves. This kid had to be in a gym his whole life, I find it hard to believe this kid had no type of amateur experience. Regarless, there are many fighters with little or no amateur experience who do not wait this long before stepping up there competition. Also, maybe he should have fought some amateur fights so we wouldn't have to wait till he is in his 100th fight before he fights someone with a winning record.
kidbazooka1
Malignaggi was the one that started calling Chavez out first.

I can see why people are picking Paulie but I think after this fight people will be convinced that Chavez is for real we'll just waite and see.
hardhead
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 15 2007, 03:41 AM) [snapback]354130[/snapback]
Malignaggi was the one that started calling Chavez out first.

I can see why people are picking Paulie but I think after this fight people will be convinced that Chavez is for real we'll just waite and see.

When was this because I don't remember? All the reports that I've read were that his manager called Paulie out at the press conference. I did hear Chavez Jr calling out Gomez though right after his fight with Brown. It doesn't matter though this fight may happen as it seems both sides may be interested.

I think there's more interesting/relevant fights to be made with these guys these in their own weight classes though. I personally would like to see Malinaggi face a the winner of Harris/Witter or Cassamyor(right now) since he can't get a fight at 135 and he's an actual world champion with something to bring to the table. He brings much more credibility to the table then Jr at this point.

I would rather see Jr fight Gomez...I'm more excited about that fight then a fight with Paulie..Like I said if Chavez had a title or briught something other then a blown up record and his last name then I would say differently but as it stands I would rather Paulie fighting other former and world champions, guys I mentioned above...We'll see I guess...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 15 2007, 02:00 AM) [snapback]354135[/snapback]
Once again, your probably confusing some gym sparring with some amateur fights. Nobody is saying he didn't train in a gym before or did some sparring, but that is still a lot different than the type of intensity he would have got from amateur fights. The only problem is that your probably stuck with seeing him on TV.
I don't have a problem with who he is fighting. It's not as if he is running his mouth proclaiming to be this and that, people are not saying he is a top p4p fighter either because he is undefeated. It would be a problem if he was running his mouth how he is undefeated and will whoop everyone.
He goes about his business quietly, he is getting some experience and neither him or anyone else is kicking up a fuss. It seems as though the only problem you have is you don't like to see him gain a big winning record. Let me tell you, records don't mean shit, it's who is in your record and the result, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about, fight fans aren't looking at it anymore than just some amateur fights without headgear to get some experience.

Good post. You make some great points.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Aug 14 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]354106[/snapback]
I guarantee you that Paulie's competition was much tougher than Chavez coming up. Chavez is following in his old mans footsteps by fighting taxi-cab drivers and bums off the streets of Mexico. Also, how many fucking fights does junior need before he actually steps up his competition? 40,50,60 fights??? Chavez is an overrated prospect who is fighting off his fathers name, kind of like Camacho Jr. got exposed after he stepped up his competition. So DJ, care to tell me when Chavez is going to be ready to fight fight someone with a pulse?

Well lets see... Seeing as how he is trying to sign to fight Paulie Malignaggi, I'd say he's ready to step up now... He was going to fight Gatti before he got his ass kicked
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Aug 14 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]354107[/snapback]
Ever hear of a fighter named Juan Diaz? He is a real fighter! He is real young and a Champ who fights anyone, he did not need 40 fights before he actually fought tough competition.

True, but Juan Diaz also had an EXTENSIVE amateur career, where as Jr. Didnt, Diaz probably had around 150+ fights before turning pro. Whereas Jr. had none, he is getting all of his ring experience as he fights
Mino
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 14 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]354040[/snapback]
Paulie better hope Chavez beats him, because if not my boy Panchito will brutally KO him.. Just as he would have done years ago. Paulie days as title holder are numbered

That is probably the funniest thing Ive ever read on this board.....The only thing Panchito could Brutally KO is the take out menu at Taco Bell
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Mino @ Aug 15 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]354179[/snapback]
That is probably the funniest thing Ive ever read on this board.....The only thing Panchito could Brutally KO is the take out menu at Taco Bell

We'll just have to wait and see. Panchito is back!!!
Elijah
Looks like Demetrius Hopkins wants in on the mix too.

Malignaggi is the IBF junior welterweight champion of the world. In the past you have expressed great interest in fighting him, tell us about that?

Demetrius Hopkins: "I would love to fight Paul Malignaggi. He's in my way and that would be a good fight. My promoters and my lawyer will get together and we'll put together a good fight and give the people what they want to see."

How would a fight between you and Paul Malignaggi play out?

DH: "I would stop little Paulie. For one, there would be a world title on the table. I'm hungry. I never made the Olympic team so that will be my world title and my gold medal."

Malignaggi looks to box every minute of every round. Are you confident that you'd be able to catch up to him?

DH: "I've been watching Paulie for a while. By the time he turned pro I had like ten fights. He punches with an open glove. I never saw him punch with a closed glove. Paulie knows what he's got coming to him. He tried to fight Ricky Hatton, but now that Hatton's off the table he's got nowhere to go but in the ring to get what he got coming to him. If Paulie doesn't want to fight all he has to do is give up the belt. I don't care who's in his corner. Buddy McGirt won't be able to save him. Paulie's a good boxer, he moves but he's one dimensional and he fights like an amateur"

Another fight between two young up and comers I wouldn't mind seeing. I'd give Hopkins more of a shot of beating Malignaggi than Chavez Jr.
kidbazooka1
Demetrius is grabage we won't amount to sh*t.
JD
I used to think D-Hop would handle Malignaggi...I don't anymore.

Paulie would outbox him all night long.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 22 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]354810[/snapback]
Demetrius is grabage we won't amount to sh*t.

GRABAGE!!! clapping.gif
NickBarker
I really hope this comes off. I want to know what Little Chavez has got. He sure looks great recently against the bum of the month club. His left hook to the body and now increasingly his offensive array to the head are impressive. I, like many of the announcers who have called his fights, am very impressed with his patience and maturity in the ring at such a young age.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 23 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]354841[/snapback]
GRABAGE!!! clapping.gif

It's a f*cking typo damn.

GARBAGE there you go does that make you feel better?

f*cking ridiculous.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 23 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]354895[/snapback]
It's a f*cking typo damn.

GARBAGE there you go does that make you feel better?

f*cking ridiculous.

GRABAGE was something we used here YEARS ago in mockery of a poster (Jerry Drake I believe) I thought you were bringing it back, and was giving you props, but I guess not so FUCK YOU
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 24 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]354935[/snapback]
GRABAGE was something we used here YEARS ago in mockery of a poster (Jerry Drake I believe) I thought you were bringing it back, and was giving you props, but I guess not so FUCK YOU

Yhea fuck you too
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 24 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]354987[/snapback]
Yhea fuck you too

Dont fuck me, fuck a tree, save your self some energy
kidbazooka1
clapping.gif
Big Slim Sweet
According to Paulie, Chavez Jr wanted too much money so the fight's off the table.
Elijah
"Junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi could appear in the co-feature, promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com. DiBella said Showtime has backed off its suggestion that Malignaggi face a Gary Shaw-promoted boxer and is open to Malignaggi facing mandatory challenger Herman Ngoudjo or Francisco "Panchito" Bojado (if he defeats Steve Forbes on Sept. 15)."
dj necrogenic
Panchito will defeat Malignaggi
Mino
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 30 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]355657[/snapback]
Panchito will defeat Malignaggi

Lay of the weed for a lil bit get your head str8!!!!
bpipe
Chavez Jr is actually looking at fighting Ray Sanchez III from NM. Some of you probably don't know who Ray is but go to Top Rank's website and under the "Talent" section you'll see him. He's a southpaw with ridiculous power in his straight left. As we all know, orthodox fighters have trouble with southpaws. The fight is supposedly going to be included on a triple-header on showtime with Margarito possibly being on the televised triple-header. Its going to be similar to the Margarito-Williams/Gatti-Gomez/Cintron-Mattysee broadcast. Supposedly this is a "tune up" fight leading up to the Malignaggi showdown. However, Chavez is not going to see what hits him when he steps in there with Sanchez. I don't see the fight going the distance with Chavez getting his first loss. Keep yours eyes/ears open for this to happen. Sanchez is a hidden gold mine. He had a really good amateur career and is well known by people close to the business.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(bpipe @ Aug 31 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]355713[/snapback]
As we all know, orthodox fighters have trouble with southpaws.

That's a bit of a generalization.

bpipe
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 31 2007, 10:07 AM) [snapback]355719[/snapback]
That's a bit of a generalization.

You're right. I don't mean that its the case in all matchups where one is a southpaw the other orthodox, but the general consensus is that often times southpaws are harder to deal with than an orthodox fighter. Many boxers and trainers have gone on record agreeing with that assumption.
kidbazooka1
t
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(bpipe @ Aug 31 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]355713[/snapback]
Chavez Jr is actually looking at fighting Ray Sanchez III from NM. Some of you probably don't know who Ray is but go to Top Rank's website and under the "Talent" section you'll see him. He's a southpaw with ridiculous power in his straight left. As we all know, orthodox fighters have trouble with southpaws. The fight is supposedly going to be included on a triple-header on showtime with Margarito possibly being on the televised triple-header. Its going to be similar to the Margarito-Williams/Gatti-Gomez/Cintron-Mattysee broadcast. Supposedly this is a "tune up" fight leading up to the Malignaggi showdown. However, Chavez is not going to see what hits him when he steps in there with Sanchez. I don't see the fight going the distance with Chavez getting his first loss. Keep yours eyes/ears open for this to happen. Sanchez is a hidden gold mine. He had a really good amateur career and is well known by people close to the business.

I think Sanchez will suffer from the brutal bodyshots that Chavez will administer befor he gets a chance to take jr out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.