Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gerry Penalosa: "I will retire but if Ponce wants to fight me, I will fight him"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
I'd love to see a rematch before Gerry leaves the sport. The first fightw as quite controversial. Ponce's activity level got him the decision but there was absolutely NO question that Gerry was landing the bigger shots all night. And the scores were ridiculous. One judge even had Ponce winning 120-108.
dj necrogenic
So does this mean he isnt going to give Jhonny Gonzalez a rematch?
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 15 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]354184[/snapback]
So does this mean he isnt going to give Jhonny Gonzalez a rematch?

I think unless they had a rematch clause Jhonny doesn't deserve one and Gerry should make whichever fight he can secure or retire.

Of course, Jhonny was leading but he got hit with a legal shot and took the 10.

And I don't think he was dominating the fight either. He was controlling the fights flow but only leading like 4-2 at the time of the KO.
BigG
Probably not. Gerry is 35 and has been a pro for 18 years. He actually retired around 2002-2004 but wanted to make comeback just to win a another title. He finally did it...but Penalosa lost controversially to De Leon..and De Leon just KTFO one of the most popular filipino fighters in recent times, Rey Bautista......so Penalosa wants De Leon before he retires. Anyway, Gerr rules. The guy is probably the most humble guy outside the ring.
torvix2000
Ponce De Leon will simply use his speed and reach to run again from Gerry Penalosa in the later rounds.

I thought De Leon's nick means "no runner".
Kijis Konar
Gerry should retire as a champ.
NickBarker
It'd certainly be intriguing to see how Ponce de Leon would look against Penalosa now. Gerry obviously has a much better defense and chin than Bautista, but I'd like to see the same Ponce that came out recently against the old Filipino. I really am unsure how to feel about Ponce because of Bautista's noted deficiencies in both chin and defensive technique.
BigG
Gerry obviously has a much better defense and chin than Bautista, but I'd like to see the same Ponce that came out recently against the old Filipino.

Ponce came out with the same aggerssion against Gerry....he was mmoving forward throwing bombs...but Gerry countered him all night. Ponce had to use movement because he couldn't stay inside with Gerry. Gerry is crafty and his punches DO hurt. Ponce was smart in that fight and I give him credit.

I don't want Gerry to retire yet. Maybe 2 more big fights.

Don Flamenco
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 15 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]354207[/snapback]
Gerry should retire as a champ.

I remember telling him that I thought he got robbed against PDL and he shouldn't stop fighting. Not sure I would say the same thing now that he finally got another championship.
torvix2000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 22 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]354751[/snapback]
Ponce came out with the same aggerssion against Gerry....he was mmoving forward throwing bombs...but Gerry countered him all night. Ponce had to use movement because he couldn't stay inside with Gerry. Gerry is crafty and his punches DO hurt. Ponce was smart in that fight and I give him credit.

Not to mention that Ponce did the opposite of his nickname which means "no runner". And he ran away in the last rounds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.