Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caballero being ducked?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
We all saw Caballero in a subpar performance against Lacierva. Was not impressive. But just about every fighter you can name has been in a fight that didn't measure up to what you would believe to be championship level. Lacierva is just as much to blame for the unimpressiveness of that bout as Caballero. But Caballero is the champ and is doing what a champion SHOULD do in trying to unify the division. He believes that Vasquez and DeLeon are ducking him. Now, there is a good reason for DeLeon to duck Caballero, as well as Vasquez I suppose due to Caballero's freakish height for his division. But I HIGHLY doubt that Vasquez would duck anyone. DeLeon is more believable because his only loss being delivered by Caballero. Vasquez has a rubber match with Marquez which he needs to deal with first before talkin a unification with Caballero. Cabs needs to understand this before he starts runnin his trap. But I would like to see a unification, as would anyone else, after Vasquez rematches Marquez. I actually think that Caballero would give both Vasquez and Marquez problems. Don't be fooled by that last outting. DeLeon just became recognized on a higher level to a larger audience and probably wants to cherish his reign a bit longer, so I will be surprised if he signs to fight Caballero again anytime soon.
Milk Dud
I don't know I for one wasn't impressed at all by him and I had heard nothing but good things about him. His punches are sloppy most of them look like backhanded or hammering types. He got hit a lot by a guy who is at best a ESPN2 type of headliner. Maybe I need to see another fight than the two I have seen but I don't think he is the type to affect top tier guys like Marquez or Vazquez, both of whom I would pick to soundly beat if not stop Caballero

Also while he beat Ponce convincingly let's not forget the history behind this fight. Ponce was originally scheduled to fight someone else on this card but if I am not mistaken the fighter couldn't clear and thus could not enter the country. Enter Caballero on two weeks notice. From what I know Ponce and his team did even know Caballero was 5'11'' and a southpaw until the final week of the fight. They had never seen tape of him and were prepping for a guy much shorter. Needless to say he was ill prepared. Ponce also seems to be two types of fighters. If he feels he can get you out he will be far more agressive in his approach. If not, he tends to back up a lot and settle on throwing in mass volumes hoping its enough to win. He did that with Penalosa and arguably lost and he did that with Caballero and lost badly.

This doesn't mean that I am pciking Ponce in a rematch but I do think we would see a different fight if he knows what he is getting into.
kidbazooka1
I agree I thin his fight with lacierva could have gone either way he was not impressive in that fight to where as both Marquez and vasquez were impressive in winning aswell as defeat. I would like to see him go at it agian with deleon who I think has improved a bit since there last fight.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Milk Dud @ Aug 16 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]354247[/snapback]
I don't know I for one wasn't impressed at all by him and I had heard nothing but good things about him. His punches are sloppy most of them look like backhanded or hammering types. He got hit a lot by a guy who is at best a ESPN2 type of headliner. Maybe I need to see another fight than the two I have seen but I don't think he is the type to affect top tier guys like Marquez or Vazquez, both of whom I would pick to soundly beat if not stop Caballero

Also while he beat Ponce convincingly let's not forget the history behind this fight. Ponce was originally scheduled to fight someone else on this card but if I am not mistaken the fighter couldn't clear and thus could not enter the country. Enter Caballero on two weeks notice. From what I know Ponce and his team did even know Caballero was 5'11'' and a southpaw until the final week of the fight. They had never seen tape of him and were prepping for a guy much shorter. Needless to say he was ill prepared. Ponce also seems to be two types of fighters. If he feels he can get you out he will be far more agressive in his approach. If not, he tends to back up a lot and settle on throwing in mass volumes hoping its enough to win. He did that with Penalosa and arguably lost and he did that with Caballero and lost badly.

This doesn't mean that I am pciking Ponce in a rematch but I do think we would see a different fight if he knows what he is getting into.

Caballero can look sloppy, but I had seen him look much better than he did that night.

You make good points milk dud, but you know this is a two way street. I know that DeLeon was expecting someone else and had little time to prepare for Caballero, but the same goes for Caballero. While Caballero is not the most skilled in the division, I see him in a similar situation as a fighter like Paul Williams. The skill that he does have coupled with the physical attributes he has at that weight is enough to allow him to be the man at that weight.
Milk Dud
I think it's easier to prep for a guy like Ponce than it would for a guy like Caballero who by even his own team's admission they didnt know was tall or a lefty

on the surface I do see why you would compare him to PWill but I think PWill is light years ahead of Caballero in terms of skill and experience in that he has been taught how to properly box by George Petersen and it shows while in the ring. Caballero's skill seems to be only display when he knows he has his guy out manned. PWill has been in tough and shown he can adapt and overcome not just by slugging it out but by using his skills
TarverFan
Caballero has fought a pretty nice list of fighters. I had a feeling when he fought Lacierva though he would look less than great and be raked over the coals. Regardless, he still beat Ponce, demolished Valbuena much easier than Vasquez and knocked Somsak silly. Caballero is a tough fight for anyone and having a close fight is no reason not to fight him. He does bring his title and damn good wins to the table.
Kijis Konar
I think Caballero should look for a rematch with Ponce de Leon and let Vasquez and Marquez bust each other a bit more before fighting one of them.
NickBarker
I'd be very interested in the Ponce de Leon/Caballero rematch. I, too, was very unimpressed with Caballero on Showtime a few weeks ago and was conversely pleasantly surprised with Ponce de Leon on BAD. While many, accurately, predicted that Bautista's chin wouldn't hold up, I still expected him to give the Mexican some problems, but we all saw what happened.

I don't think Marquez or Vazquez will take interim bouts before their rubber match so this fight makes the most sense of any in the division for either fighter. One move that I could see taking place is Jhonny Gonzalez moving up to a more natural 122 and GBP having him fight Ponce de Leon as kind of a last chance type event. Despite how good he has looked in defeats, he has still been defeated too many times. That would be a very interesting scrap.
Milk Dud
seeing it on the undercard of Vazquez Marquez III would be ideal especially if it ends up being a PPV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.