Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trinidad talks about the comeback
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Kijis Konar
From Primera Hora. Translated by me:

1) On the reasons behind his comeback:

"Money is always a reason, but that is secondary. I'm not thinking about the money I'll earn, but in that I gotta train hard for this fight. Roy Jones is a good fighter. You gotta be very well trained to fight him because he is fast, intelligent and he has a lot of KOs which means he is strong. Every boxer takes a risk and I will take mine and get ready for it by training properly. I will enter the ring mentally ready to fight as I know I can fight. We have been a winning team. I have faced many champions and former champions. Tough fights."

2) On this being his 2nd time out of retirement:

"I said many times I was not going to come back, but I started thinking about it and realized I could give myself another chance in boxing. I'm 34 and I'm healthy. I don't wanna mention anybody in specific, but there have been very few athletes who live the kind of healthy lifestyle I live. I can really give myself another chance. I have a pretty nice boxing record with only two defeats and I know that what I am doing right now will help me win my next fights."

3) On training for Roy Jones Jr.:

"I'm going to the gym and I might practice some new things, but the style I've had all my life has been very succesful. It's been the key in winning my fights and I've had moments in which I've had to chase my rivals, and if I have to do that again, I will. I'll chase Roy Jones all over the ring if I have to."

4) On fighting at 170:

"I don't know if I can do it anymore, but if my body allows me to fight at 160 again, I would do it. I have to go slowly with the training. I've been retired for 2 years and I've gained a lot of weight. I'm very focused on the work I gotta do in the gym and my mind is very positive. I'm back as many others have been back, but I'm coming back with a lot of energy. Many boxers that come back after 2 or 3 years have been on drugs, living a bad life, but that's not my case. I don't drink, I don't smoke and that's why I know I can give myself another chance and I know I'll be fine."

5) On having trouble staying retired:

"When I retired, I had already done a lot of things in boxing. I was asked many times and I said I was not coming back. At that time I wasn't thinking about boxing, I was away from boxing, but I told myself I was gonna come back and I'm pumped up. I gotta be this way. I've done this all my life. I'm pumped up. I'm doing the things I've always done, and I'll be at my best for my fights. I hope I can enter the ring as I used to be or even better because I'm working for that."

6) On his last fight against Winky Wright:

"I wasn't the Tito people were used to seeing in that fight. I can't deny it, I lost. Even though I felt alright the days before the fight, on fight night I didn't feel I had the energy I needed. My energy level really went down. I really get along well with Winky, but at some point if the rematch can be done, it will happen."

http://www.primerahora.com/noticia/boxeo/a..._energias/99992
thehype
Thanks for the translation Kijis.
kidbazooka1
I think this will be a very interesting fight. I give Tito a good chance at catching Jones.
BrutalBodyShots
All I take out of that really is that

1 - He can't make 160 anymore by his own admission because he's become a fatass.

2 - He's crazy if he thinks there's ever a snowballs chance in hell that he beats Wright.

Don Flamenco
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 18 2007, 05:08 AM) [snapback]354395[/snapback]
1 - He can't make 160 anymore by his own admission because he's become a fatass.

Seems like only yesterday when him and Vargas was battling it out in that awesome middleweight tournament. Now they are both fatasses
Method
LOL, Brutal.
Nobudius

Hey Tito, the reason your energy level went down was b/c your head was a bobble head from Winky's jab, & you realized you had NO chance of winning.

Why does Trinidad keep coming back for fights that has DISASTER written all over it?

24 A BRICK
Trinidad done lost his fuckin' mind for taking this fight. besides taking the fight with Winky, this is byfar the worst opponent for Trinidad.
kidbazooka1
This fight seems to favor Jones without adoubt but watch everyone get the suprise of there life and Tito ends up knocking Jones the f*ck out that would be some funny sh*t.
imperial
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 18 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]354436[/snapback]
This fight seems to favor Jones without adoubt but watch everyone get the suprise of there life and Tito ends up knocking Jones the f*ck out that would be some funny sh*t.

Now a days something like that wouldn't surprise me ..Considering what type of finisher Tito is and how Roy likes to lay on the ropes the chances are certainly there .I just don't know how Tito will look at 170 ...I expect a 12 rd UD by Jones But Tito has a slim shot .....
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 18 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]354440[/snapback]
Now a days something like that wouldn't surprise me ..Considering what type of finisher Tito is and how Roy likes to lay on the ropes the chances are certainly there .I just don't know how Tito will look at 170 ...I expect a 12 rd UD by Jones But Tito has a slim shot .....

I'm just hoping Tito can pull off a Glen Johnson.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 18 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]354449[/snapback]
I'm just hoping Tito can pull off a Glen Johnson.

Hope is about all there is.

yuca
Tito and his father are delusional, I guess it started with the DLH fight when even though it seemed they were going to lose they took a decision...I mean, how can Papa Trinidad tell his son he was winning against Hopkins?...On to the delusional thing, Tito has never been in a fight where he thinks he's going to lose (in his mind, of course), he always comes in believing this is his fight, you can see it in the Wright fight, I can see Tito's thoughts in there, "this isn't working...yet", then after he lost he retires again. I guess he couldn't believe he lost.
He just stated that he is going to do the same thing that has worked for him, in other words, there's no plan B.
The only chance I see him having is landing a perfect left hook ala Tarver, but of course there are physical disadvantages here for Tito, and I can't see him changing his style to reflect Johnson's game.
So, in all, Tito does believe he can knock Roy out, I hope that when doesn't and loses, he just doesn't retire again, and instead takes the correct path, build himself up from the bottom, get in real fighting shape, and give it a real try. Not this delusion of coming back and knocking out a much talented, faster, bigger man.

imperial
The Trinidad's are mad delusional ..2 shut outs and now he is ready to knock out Roy ..Wonder what Tito's smoking on the island ..Must be some good shit .. drag.gif
Nobudius
For those of you that think Tito can knock RJJ out, please forward me to a Tito fight at 170+ pounds, b/c I am curious to see how he carries his power up in those weights.
basicjab
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Aug 19 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]354516[/snapback]
For those of you that think Tito can knock RJJ out, please forward me to a Tito fight at 170+ pounds, b/c I am curious to see how he carries his power up in those weights.

You are right, there is absolutely no evidence that Tito can carry power at 170, hell with exception to Joppy there is no evidence he carried his power at 160. Whereas at 147 and 154 there are ample evidence. It would take a miracle... however, I prey the miracle happens and Tito knocks the filling out of Roy, that would be perfect ending for Tito and rightful ending for Jones.
imperial
Trinidad's mind set is no diffrent than those people who think Jones is shot ..I 'm sure he looks at the way Jones covers up on the ropes and thinks he can jump on him like a Mayorga ..But he is in for a rude awakening ..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(yuca @ Aug 19 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]354509[/snapback]
On to the delusional thing, Tito has never been in a fight where he thinks he's going to lose (in his mind, of course), he always comes in believing this is his fight, you can see it in the Wright fight, I can see Tito's thoughts in there, "this isn't working...yet",

I somehow fail to see how a fighter thinking they cannot lose a fight is a bad thing? Having no alternate gameplan when things go to ratshit? I can understant tearing up someone for that but to rip on a guy because he is confident of winning every fight he takes? The only guys that come into fights thinking they will likely lose are the journeymen/bums ala Judah/Tyson opponents. A all time great fighter does not go into fights thinking he will lose, it just does not happen.

Toto should be blown back to Kansas by Roy but Roy is shot as well. I hope Tito blasts Roy & gets him stretchered but this is "Mr Unknockouatble" we are talking about.
yuca
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]354560[/snapback]
I somehow fail to see how a fighter thinking they cannot lose a fight is a bad thing? Having no alternate gameplan when things go to ratshit? I can understant tearing up someone for that but to rip on a guy because he is confident of winning every fight he takes? The only guys that come into fights thinking they will likely lose are the journeymen/bums ala Judah/Tyson opponents. A all time great fighter does not go into fights thinking he will lose, it just does not happen.

Toto should be blown back to Kansas by Roy but Roy is shot as well. I hope Tito blasts Roy & gets him stretchered but this is "Mr Unknockouatble" we are talking about.

Yeah, it sounds harsh to rip him for that...
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]354560[/snapback]
Tito should be blown back to Kansas by Roy but Roy is shot as well. I hope Tito blasts Roy & gets him stretchered but this is "Mr Unknockouatble" we are talking about.

Amen.
Nobudius
Too many of you are thinking with your heart-yeah, it was cool to see Roy get starched, & some of you would love to see it again. But after Johnson sent Roy to the heavens....I don't know. It's just sad now-who wold've thought I would actually have some pity for this guy?

Dude, if Tito were to KO Roy Jones....... people would be crying......and some would be laughing. I would be crying from laughing too hard.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Aug 20 2007, 05:05 AM) [snapback]354609[/snapback]
I would be crying from laughing too hard.

Ditto.
Yucayeke
I am a Tito fan through and through and lord knows I have been called all kinds of shit, member Method, JD? lol

But This fight is not winnable for him. Tito still may have some fight in him, but... he needs to get rid of papa and get on board with Freddy, Manny, hell anyone besides his pops.

I hope that he streches Roy, cause I am a Roy (and mayweather) hater ( Roy looks like a monkey with his chicken moves), but I wont be putting any money on it.

I will see it if it does indeed go down in the Garden.
BigG
Roy is going to beat Tito up...this is a bad matchu for Tito...Roy at 170 will have the advantage in speed AND punching power.
Michigan Assassin
Roy could also and probably will be drained from getting to 170. This fight comes down to which one is more faded. I think its Roy. Because even though he's fought twice in the last two years he hasn't looked himself since the Ruiz fight.

Tito should come in at whatever weight he feels he can fight most comfortable at even if its a few pounds under the limit.
imperial
This fight is going to end up to be an entertaining fight ..I hope that even after Trinidad loses he manges to look decent enough to get another meaningful fight ..
imperial
This fight is going to end up to be an entertaining fight ..I hope that even after Trinidad loses he manges to look decent enough to get another meaningful fight ..
BrutalBodyShots
Yup. My expectation is that Jones will win a one sided 12 round decision or stop Trinidad. Anything outside of these two outcomes (like a competitive scrap) would be bad for Jones from my viewpoint.

Maxy
It really doesn't matter how impressive/poor the winner of this fight is. Neither of them will ever be the top dog again. They're done....it's over.
Nobudius
I just saw RJJ's interview regarding Vick & etc.

It was like watching him get knocked out by Tarver in slow mo. Are these guys this dumb? Whatever opinion you may have, just keep your mouth SHUT-especially right now.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Aug 23 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]354849[/snapback]
It really doesn't matter how impressive/poor the winner of this fight is. Neither of them will ever be the top dog again. They're done....it's over.

I disagree. If Jones (or Trinidad for that matter) were to come out and knock out the other in a round or two, totally blow them out you'll have everyone shouting "he's back" and crap, and being that they just knocked out a huge name it will propel them into a big fight in the future.

STEVENSKI
& a big beatdown.
imperial
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 22 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]354817[/snapback]
I'm not sure. If RJJ makes Trinidad look good or competitive in losing, RJJ has failed IMO. He should whip Trinidad from pillar to post and stop him. Anything less than a one sided stoppage and RJJ probably hasn't done what he should have done.

I agree but i'm sure we will see Tito unload a few punches while RJJ lay up on the ropes ..I'm sure there will be some exchanges at least more so than Wright /Hopkins whic will make this fight something fun to watch ..
Lil-lightsout
Roy should blast Tito out of there in a round or two. Roy is obviously not what he used to be, but jeez he just beat an undefeated good fighter in Hanshaw who had an extensive amateur background and was trained by Mayweather Sr., give the guy a break. If he is so shot, like some of you say, how did he beat him then?
Method
Roy will carry Trinidud as long as he can before it gets obviously pathetic...and if TriniDone somehow happens to turn the lights out on Roy, then it means jackall anyway...hence the meaninglessness of the fight,.
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone think Trinidad will mimick Jones' chicken moves with he starts to toy with Trinidad after a round or two the way Trinidad did his little shuffle against Hopkins? LOL.

Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 23 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]354868[/snapback]
I disagree. If Jones (or Trinidad for that matter) were to come out and knock out the other in a round or two, totally blow them out you'll have everyone shouting "he's back" and crap, and being that they just knocked out a huge name it will propel them into a big fight in the future.

I don't believe you disagree at all. My point was neither of them will ever be the top dog again. I don't care what some fans might say should the winner look devastating and it matters not if the winner gets a big fight. They are both done. If you disgaree with my point then you are saying you feel that one of them can be the number one again. Ain't happening.
neophyte7
Roy Jones is horrible. People have respect for him for what he did over a decade ago. He is vulnerable taking this fight at 170. making weight has been an issue with him for some time. Roy was good, but now he is as shot as Tito. The bottom line is that Roy is not a shoe in to win this fight... Jones seems very depressed when he is speaking about his career. He was on the best damned sports show a while back and he seemed lifeless, pathetic. he needs to quit. He should realize that he was good while he was faster than most and that he was an instinctive fighter who neglected to learn to really fight. He is not a good technician. his infighting skills are horrible. his defense is not very good now that his reflexes are slowed and he has a suspect chin... ROY JONES IS SIMPLY NOT THAT GOOD... Bernard Hopkins is light years ahead of him no matter the outcome of their fight more than a decade ago. When discussing Jones people always revert to his win over Hopkins- SO WHAT. TRINIDAD HAS a CHANCE because Jones is now ordinary and has been for quite some time. LIKE I SAID BEFORE... A LOSS to Tito or even a bad showing, will result in his suspect legacy falling completely in the trash can...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 24 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]354919[/snapback]
Roy Jones is horrible. People have respect for him for what he did over a decade ago. He is vulnerable taking this fight at 170. making weight has been an issue with him for some time. Roy was good, but now he is as shot as Tito. The bottom line is that Roy is not a shoe in to win this fight... Jones seems very depressed when he is speaking about his career. He was on the best damned sports show a while back and he seemed lifeless, pathetic. he needs to quit. He should realize that he was good while he was faster than most and that he was an instinctive fighter who neglected to learn to really fight. He is not a good technician. his infighting skills are horrible. his defense is not very good now that his reflexes are slowed and he has a suspect chin... ROY JONES IS SIMPLY NOT THAT GOOD... Bernard Hopkins is light years ahead of him no matter the outcome of their fight more than a decade ago. When discussing Jones people always revert to his win over Hopkins- SO WHAT. TRINIDAD HAS a CHANCE because Jones is now ordinary and has been for quite some time. LIKE I SAID BEFORE... A LOSS to Tito or even a bad showing, will result in his suspect legacy falling completely in the trash can...

I completely disagree. I'm of the opinion that a legacy is made during and around a fighters prime. Jones is way past his prime (as is Trinidad) so this fight means nothing in terms of legacy. Jones could lose to Erik Morales next month and that wouldn't change what he's accomplished in the last 10-15 years.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Aug 24 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]354916[/snapback]
I don't believe you disagree at all. My point was neither of them will ever be the top dog again. I don't care what some fans might say should the winner look devastating and it matters not if the winner gets a big fight. They are both done. If you disgaree with my point then you are saying you feel that one of them can be the number one again. Ain't happening.

Be the top dog as in be P4P the best fighter in the world? Of course neither will achieve that. I was speaking from the standpoint of fighting at the top level (facing a top fighter) which I believe either of these guys would end up doing if they blew the other out in a round or two.

Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 24 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]354938[/snapback]
Be the top dog as in be P4P the best fighter in the world? Of course neither will achieve that. I was speaking from the standpoint of fighting at the top level (facing a top fighter) which I believe either of these guys would end up doing if they blew the other out in a round or two.

Oh come on, don't act so naive. You know I didn't mean P4P number one. Neither of them will ever again be the top fighter in their division (whatever division that is). Fighting at the top level and being the main man at the top level are two completely different things.

It's a nice pay day and something for the winner to brag about but in terms of the bigger picture, this fight don't mean shit.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Aug 24 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]354941[/snapback]
Oh come on, don't act so naive. You know I didn't mean P4P number one. Neither of them will ever again be the top fighter in their division (whatever division that is). Fighting at the top level and being the main man at the top level are two completely different things.

It's a nice pay day and something for the winner to brag about but in terms of the bigger picture, this fight don't mean shit.

I'm not being naive at all. I'm saying that if either man blows the other out in a round or two that guy will without a doubt go on to face a top fighter (probably even a title shot with the way boxing politics work) which to me means that they would be on top of the game again. I don't expect Jones-Trinidad to end inside 2 rounds, so of course I don't expect either to go on to face a top fighter.

Kijis Konar
If a retired Tito manages to beat Roy Jones convincingly he deserves credit.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 24 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]354976[/snapback]

Yup, no question about it.

BigG
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 25 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]354976[/snapback]

It would probably be the best win of his career.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 25 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]355017[/snapback]
It would probably be the best win of his career.

Nah it can't top his "win" over Oscar =)

Kijis Konar
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 25 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]355019[/snapback]

From Puerto RICOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
imperial
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Aug 25 2007, 01:32 PM) [snapback]355019[/snapback]

If he manages to beat Roy by an MD or KO hell yeah it over shadows the Oscar win ..Because that wasn't neccessarily a win for Tito more so than a gift !
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 27 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]355202[/snapback]
If he manages to beat Roy by an MD or KO hell yeah it over shadows the Oscar win ..Because that wasn't neccessarily a win for Tito more so than a gift !

Tito won by either 1 or 2 points. Same could be said of Oscar. To have that fight for any of the two by more than 2 points is not to know how to score a fight.
PR316
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 27 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]355202[/snapback]

Well in truth, regardless of what anyone thinks, the bottom line is that it was a Trinidad win. Impressive win???... Naw.. But a win over Oscar is a win over Oscar, nonetheless.

If we are going to hold that against Tito, then we must recall Oscar's gifts against Whitaker, Quartey, and Sturm. Only fair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.