Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did Calzaghe destroy Lacy's career?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Boss Hogg
Personally, I think Calzaghe beat the fight out of him, and we may have already witnessed the best of Jeff Lacy. In his return fight against Tsypko, he looked terrible. When is he fighting again and what are your thoughts on his future career? Can he rebuild after such a thrashing or will he end up being a fighter that used to be someone?
Elijah
I'm pretty sure he had a torn rotator cuff when he fought Tsypko?

Not makin any excuses for the guy he didn't look very good but I think with his power he can manage to make some noise once he comes back. He needs to get back to the basics and not head hunt so much.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(Elijah @ Aug 20 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]354651[/snapback]

Not makin any excuses for the guy he didn't look very good but I think with his power he can manage to make some noise once he comes back. He needs to get back to the basics and not head hunt so much.

That sounds vaguely familiar Elijah, not sure though. You're right though he is a head hunter, it almost seems like he's a programmed head hunter that knows no other way to fight. I think its easier to turn a pure boxer into a puncher or brawler( if they have power of course) than it is to change a brawler, like Lacy, into a boxer. He has to make major changes before he ends up fading.
Boss Hogg
QUOTE(Elijah @ Aug 20 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]354651[/snapback]

That sounds vaguely familiar Elijah, not sure though. You're right though he is a head hunter, it almost seems like he's a programmed head hunter that knows no other way to fight. I think its easier to turn a pure boxer into a puncher or brawler( if they have power of course) than it is to change a brawler, like Lacy, into a boxer. He has to make major changes before he ends up fading.
JD
Lacy did in fact tear his rotator cuff in that fight - and it happened pretty early on.

Tsypko happens to be quite a good fighter, so I was not as harsh on Lacy with that one. It was his first fight back, after a savage beating and against a good fighter.

That said, man, I don't know. A beating like the one Calzaghe put on him is the type of thing that usually changes a fighter forever...so my hunch is that Lacy will never be the same, but I really hope I am wrong. Lefthook is an entertaining fighter, and more importantly he is about as likable a guy as you will find...I really do hope he makes his way back.
NickBarker
Lacy is fun to watch when he's on the prowl for a big knockout. I never expected Calzaghe to do what he did to Lacy and it made me an instant fan of his. However, Lacy's domination prior to that debacle was certainly entertaining and I wish him the best. His successful return would do nothing but bolster an already impressive looking 168 division.
NickBarker
Lacy is fun to watch when he's on the prowl for a big knockout. I never expected Calzaghe to do what he did to Lacy and it made me an instant fan of his. However, Lacy's domination prior to that debacle was certainly entertaining and I wish him the best. His successful return would do nothing but bolster an already impressive looking 168 division.
NickBarker
BigG
Lacy was fun to watch and a good champion, but was never anything special. I thought his last fight was a draw.....Lacy started strong but faded and tore his rotator cuff....plus he got rocked and wobbled as well. I think he can get back to where he was if he just beats a few lesser fighters first.
Blayde
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 21 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]354694[/snapback]
I thought his last fight was a draw.....Lacy started strong but faded and tore his rotator cuff....plus he got rocked and wobbled as well.

I dont think the fact that Lacy-Tsypko II was a close fight (either 6-4 Lacy or 5-5 Tsypko in my eyes) means anything. You said it he got an injury in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round and fought the rest of fight with one arm. Before that happened he was winning clearly and able to hurt Tspyko just like in the 1st fight. Maybe you can say Tsypko was able to adapt to Lacys style but that doesnt seem fair to me since Lacy didnt have any problems before he got that injury.
Mean Mister Mustard
He was never that good to begin with. His muscles and better than average punch made him appear like a new Tyson but those that saw him struggle with Vanderpool and Sheika knew otherwise. I'm not saying he's an awful fighter, after all he did beat the fighters I just mentioned, but all it took was an elite guy to exploit his lack of speed and adaptability. I think Lacy is still the same fighter physically but mentally he is not. His confidence was shattered and that can change a fighter just as bad as having his talent leave him.
Boss Hogg
Since Lacy is coming off a sub-par performance and another Colombian gentlemen we all know Mr. Miranda is moving up to 168, following his poor showing against Pavlik, how awesome of a fight between these two bangers would that be? Matchmaker!!!!
dj necrogenic
I think anytime you go into a fight as suched a hyped favorite, and the fight turns out the way this one did. Its bound to do some serious damage to the losers ego. I personally think at Jeff's age he can come back from this, if he truly is set on doing so, its going to take alot of hard work and determination to get back. He's going to go through alot of mental shit for a while with this fight, everytime he is in with a good fighter and things dont automatically go his way right off the bat, he's going to doubt himself. Which could ultimately be his demise. His own self doubt could kill him, but if he gets in good mental shape, works on a few things in the gym add some Defense, and maybe some boxing skills, and stops depending on the KO so much. We could see him back in the title picture. But he isnt getting any younger so he needs to get his ass back in the ring as quick as possible
Lil-lightsout
I am probably in the minority here, but I think Lacy will be back and be Champion again. I am not writing him off, he has tremendous power and hopefully he learns a lot from his dissappointing fight against Calzaghe. He just needs a few tuneups and he will be back. Oh, and that was a great post DJ, I think you are right on with your points.
buford54
Sadly, I think that Lacy...if he can make it back, is in for a long haul.
I think that he was so thoroughly dominated that he will second guess his every move, and will fight a lot more defensively (in that he will not want to get hit anymore).
His style relied on being able to take a punch to deliver a much more devastating one.
If he starts fighting to "not get hurt," he is done for.
I think that Calzaghe took the edge off of him, and that's what he had going for him...the edge.
Without that, he'll be a journeyman.
In order to get it back, he'll need to fight a lot of tune-ups.
salvador
Lacy always was a one dimensional fighter and Calzaghe exposed him.

Mentally, Lacy is, of course, permanently changed because he always relied on his punching power and that gave him the confidence of a bully in the ring and that's never going to be 100% again. So in that respect he'll always be a little less than he was.

But careerwise the only thing that happened is that Calzaghe delayed the inevitable. Lacy will always be able to punch and he's likeable and American, which means that he'll be able to get at least 3 or 4 more big opportunities before it's all over, and, statistically speaking, he'll land that one big left hook that puts him in position to make real money.

I'd love to see Lacy-Miranda and I'd bet that HBO would too.

georg
I think he'd lose 10/10 against Hopkins, Calzaghe, Kessler, Winky, and Jermain (the A level fighters at or around his weight class). Everyone else he'd have a good shot at beating but the A level fighters are too good for those loooooooooping punches of his.

All Lacy had going for him was his meanness, kind of like Mike Tyson did. Once he got pounded like he did against Joe, the world sees that they can defeat him and the fear factor is lost. That's why Tyson had so many problems: people weren't afraid of him anymore.
Lacy must stay and fight B level fighters if he wants to win.

Sorry Jeff, your 15 minutes of fame are up.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Lacy would have to take the Shannon Briggs method of fighting (and knocking out) 10 or so bums in a row to build his confidence if he plans on ever getting another title shot. I think that's the only way he'll somewhat return to his form pre-Calzaghe.

NickBarker
I agree with those who have suggested a Miranda/Lacy fight. Man, that would be something to see. No way that bad boy is going the distance.
BigG
Lacy can be a champion again but he is a level below guys like Calzaghe and Kessler. Lacy should just go after the IBF champion.
Kijis Konar
Cal ruined him. The kind of beating he took probably took a toll on his confidence and on his body. He will never be the same.
georg
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 22 2007, 03:39 AM) [snapback]354766[/snapback]
Lacy can be a champion again but he is a level below guys like Calzaghe and Kessler. Lacy should just go after the IBF champion.

I don`t think he can beat Lucian Bute(if he get`s the ibf-belt from Alejandro Berrio)
neophyte7
IT WAS funny how people propped up Lacy after he KO'd Pemberton who was nothing more than a dead carcass. People had him Koing Hopkins inside of 6 rounds on many message boards, and that Tarver was afraid of him LOL. The guy was hyped up because of his physique. He doesn't even hit that hard. He is a C+ talent at best-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.