Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Second Thread About Issues with the HBO Announcing Crew
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
neophyte7
SAMUEL JACKSON, STARRING IN "RESSURECTING THE CHAMP" WEIGHS IN:

USA TODAY: ARE YOU A BOXING FAN?

" I LIKE WATCHING IT, BUT I HAD A LOT MORE RESPECT FOR IT YEARS AGO THAN I DO NOW. THE SPORT HAS BEEN DILUTED BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY ALPHABET SOUP CHAMPIONS IN EACH WEIGHT DIVISION. THE JUDGING SYSTEM IS SO WARPED THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FIGHT THEY ARE WATCHING. AND THE SAME WITH THE ANNOUNCERS. I WATCH FIGHTS AND LISTEN TO GUYS CALLING PUNCHES THAT I DON'T EVEN SEE."

jackson has to be referring to HBO cheerleaders, especially LAMPLEY... LAMPLEY IS NOTORIOUS FOR CALLING OUT SHOTS THAT MAKE IT SEEM AS IF HE IS on some sort of HALLUCINATION INDUCING DRUG...
Milk Dud
you type angry. mad.gif
Jack 1000
Good call,

All of the commentators are flawed in one way or the other. HBO is still trying to make stars by putting C+ grade fighters in against no-hoper's, so that the fighter that Lampley is cheerleading for can get an undeserved $50 PPV payday. I also think that there are two many alphabet organizations. I wouldn't want a RING belt, because those aren't what they used to be. Boxing needs an international structure, with Ring it would turn into an American monopoly and popularity contest where lesser known international fighters could not get title shots.

I do think that boxing should go back to the two main federations: the WBC and WBA. The others are just off-shots anyway. Have them change their policies to work toward round robin tournaments that will produce one champion in each division. (Like Superbowls and World Series have.) This process could provide a better incentive for the champions to actually fight each other. Under the current system, no unification bouts can ever be forced, and when you are a contender in one federation and fight for another belt, you get dropped. That should NEVER happen. Furthermore, unifications should be encouraged, not reprimanded.

It will only be a matter of time with the money involved where MMA will start having multiple divisions and titles as well.

Jack
Bill The Butcher
Agreed. I wish they forced unification fights. If they want all these organizations around like IBF, WBO, WBA, WBC, etc, then so be it. But at least unify the divisions.

With MMA, I'm not really sure the multiple titles will happen. But then again, you're probably right. I think the problem with MMA, is that there are too many different fighting organizations already. UFC, Pride (UFC bought), WEC? (UFC owned?), IFL, Elite XC? Are we going to see HBO start a MMA league?, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. But there is talent in each of those organizations, and we wont be able to see the match ups we want to see.
Method
I agree with the comment on Lamps. Oftentimes I have watched as he called out punches that weren't throne, and moreso disturbing is he credits the punch thrown to the fighter getting hit. Very suspect.
HaydelHammer
LOL....I agree with samuel on those announcers and those imaginary shots.

he HAS to be talking about lampley man. lol They need to seriously sit him down and make him watch and listen to himself sometimes and ask him wtf was he watching. This dude is MONEY all the time. Never fails.
Lil-lightsout
Why are the announcers so biased? Is it because the big wigs tell them to act that way, or do they on there own just play there own personal favorites? Lampley is not the only one either, Sean O'grady always had his favorites picked out before the fights even started.
BrutalBodyShots
Lampley used to be the worst with Oscar back when he was closer to his prime. Oscar was the king of "compubox boxing" which I define as throwing punches for compubox purposes only. Oscar would throw 5-8 punch combos at the end of rounds after the sticks would clap and basically look like he was shadow boxing; he'd be several feet away from being able to land anything but would shadow compubox off a combo and Lampley would always call a "hard _____ _____ by DLH!" that no one saw land except his imagination.

imperial
I WATCH FIGHTS AND LISTEN TO GUYS CALLING PUNCHES THAT I DON'T EVEN SEE."

Hit the nail right on the head !!
CyruS
Shit that sticked out to me was when Lamps was basically crying on the air after Mosely-Delahoya 2 screaming robbery as if Delahoya won every round.
BrutalBodyShots
The compubox numbers for Mosley-DLH II were sickening. Worst case of inaccurate numbers I've ever seen.

Jack 1000
I wish Lou Dibella would come back to do matchmaking for HBO!

Remember how he gave Boxing After Dark some of the greatest matches in the modern years of boxing history? As well as some all-time classic battles? Compare that version of HBO BAD to what we have now.

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
One of the worst Lampley moements this year occured when Barerra did not get credit for the knockdown in the JMM fight. Lampley was screaming and grunting like an animal. And he kept mentioning it the rest of the fight. Then by the 3rd replay of the knockdown he questioned the justification for Nady having taken a point from Barerra and Merchant told him that it was because Barerra clocked JMM while he was on the ground. Lampley then agreed with Merchant but the scary part was that he was so outraged that he hadn't even noticed that Barerra had hit Marquez qhile he was down. Either that or he was pretending he hadn't seen it and try to dupe the audience into thinking that Barerra was being screwed. Either way, bad moment for Lampley who has always been Pro-Barerra.

Also why was he so outraged by that particular case but not by Judah's unofficial knockdown of PBF?
Jack 1000
Lampley with Delahoya is revolting,

If you think Cosell with Ali or Leonard was bad in terms of bias, it is nothing like Lampley with Delahoya. Or even other members of the crew with Delahoya. (Remember how Merchant and judge Keith Macdonald actually had Oscar ahead against Hopkins?) Seriously, HBO could do a pre-show about Oscar taking a shit and Lamply would do a 90 minute documentary. laugh.gif

Oscar says ANYTHING in post fight and Lampley will just giggle like this silly little schoolgirl that just got her first prom date.

When Delahoya fought Trinidad (Tito was promoted by King) there was not one complimentary statement made about Tito in the whole fight made by any of the HBO broadcasters. HBO has always passionately hated King fighters. Too bad they don't recall how much money a prime Tyson brought to that network in the mid to late 80's.

But seriously, as I have said many times. HBO has the mentality of following their pied piper fighter under contract into whatever direction the wind blows. There is no justification for opponent (Jones-Kelley, Jones-Frazier, Delahoya-Campas, Delahoya-Charpentier) as long as their promoted star gets the breaks. At least Dibella gave the fans competitive fights when he could. HBO's fight game has become more business oriented than the quality matchmaking that it used to be.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.