Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PBF
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Chi-Town
Up till a few months ago, If anyone asked I woulf have said that i don't care too much for Lil Floyd. Although now, he has grown on me a bit more since 24/7. With all that said I have to say that his popularity is making a huge upswing right now. He has been branching out very much and has become much more visible in the owrld of sports celebrities. Since the DeLaHoya fight the guy has been on 106 and Park, TRL, The BET awards, The MTV awards, Cribs and now Dancing with the stars just to name all the things that I've personally seen. Once Dancing with the stars airs, I sincerely believe that he will be a household name. Agree or Disagree? And what effect do you think it will have on Boxing overall if any?
Method
Or not. People might see how much of an immature fuckstick this guy is and completely hate him.
JD
I think Dancing with the Stars will do nothing to enhance his marketability.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Aug 29 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]355549[/snapback]
Up till a few months ago, If anyone asked I woulf have said that i don't care too much for Lil Floyd. Although now, he has grown on me a bit more since 24/7. With all that said I have to say that his popularity is making a huge upswing right now. He has been branching out very much and has become much more visible in the owrld of sports celebrities. Since the DeLaHoya fight the guy has been on 106 and Park, TRL, The BET awards, The MTV awards, Cribs and...

Apart from dancing with the stars I don't know jack shit about any of those other shows.
salvador
I still can't understand why he hasn't been on Entourage yet. It really is such a natural fit for Floyd and for the show and for HBO. He could promote his fights by going on the show and having his boys hang with Vinny's boys (playing video games) while he and Vinny take bong hits and talk about Floyd's upcoming fight with xyz. Everybody wins.
STEVENSKI
I hope they have a nice guy lined up to dance with him because everyone knows PBF ain't nothin but a punk's bitch.
BrutalBodyShots
I wouldn't think that the average dancing with the stars fan is a boxing fan generally speaking, so just because a large population of non-boxing fans may be introduced to Mayweather doesn't mean that it will do a thing for boxing. Kind of like Ali being in the last season of the show.

I've seen dancing with the stars a few times and stop on it to check out a few of the hot women wearing next to nothing, but would never regularly watch the show.

Chi-Town
Couple things...first, while on dancing with the stars it won't be an interview situation like we are used to when he is trying to hype a fight, thus he won't be trying to play the bad guy role so I think that they will see the nice Floyd. Second, I'm not saying that he will become beloved or that he's going to convert Dancing with the stars fans into boxing fans..that makes no sense...what I AM saying is that being on this show along with the all the other American TV he has been doing WILL make him a household name. His name recognition will undoubtedly go up. For instance I (average young, black urban male) don't know shit about skateboarding...but I see Tony Hawk all over the place and therefore I recognize his name...couldn't name another skateboarder to save my life and I still don't watch skateboarding, but I know who he is. Thats what I'm saying about Mayweather. People outside of boxing will know who he is by face and by name. Something that wasn't true a year ago.
Southeastpaw
I agree with what you are saying Chi-Town. I too believe that Mayweather will become a household name. He pretty much is almost there if not already IMO. I think that people will take to him as well on Dancing With The Stars. I really don't think he is as big a prick as he shows at interviews for boxing and all. His confidence is just sickening at times, but usually the top skilled dawg carries that aura. I think deep down, Floyd is a nice guy.
worldsapart509
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 29 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]355588[/snapback]
I agree with what you are saying Chi-Town. I too believe that Mayweather will become a household name. He pretty much is almost there if not already IMO. I think that people will take to him as well on Dancing With The Stars. I really don't think he is as big a prick as he shows at interviews for boxing and all. His confidence is just sickening at times, but usually the top skilled dawg carries that aura. I think deep down, Floyd is a nice guy.

I don't think he'll ever become a household name. His popularity might go up a bit, but not enough to make him a household name. Tyson's a household name, DLH and SRL are household names, but Roy Jones Jr. never became the household name that HBO wanted him to become. I don't think Floyd Jr. will ever become any more popular than RJJ.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(worldsapart509 @ Aug 30 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]355671[/snapback]
I don't think he'll ever become a household name. His popularity might go up a bit, but not enough to make him a household name. Tyson's a household name, DLH and SRL are household names, but Roy Jones Jr. never became the household name that HBO wanted him to become. I don't think Floyd Jr. will ever become any more popular than RJJ.

I disagree with that. If you were to ask 100 random people on the street who Floyd Mayweather was and who Roy Jones was you'd have far more people knowing who Jones was IMO. That may change by the end of Mayweather's career, but as of now that's the way it is.

Jones never became a household name the way the others did that you mentioned but moreso than Mayweather (at least so far).

Southeastpaw
The DLH/PBF fight got quite a lot of exposure. Most PPV #s. Much more than Jones ever got. Everyone at my work knows who Mayweather is. Now that he is going to be on Dancing With The Stars, more people will know who he is cause he will be known as the best boxer in the world as the show is airing. He will become a household name. I am almost certain.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Aug 30 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]355689[/snapback]
The DLH/PBF fight got quite a lot of exposure. Most PPV #s. Much more than Jones ever got. Everyone at my work knows who Mayweather is. Now that he is going to be on Dancing With The Stars, more people will know who he is cause he will be known as the best boxer in the world as the show is airing. He will become a household name. I am almost certain.

Maybe become yes, but not quite yet.

Let me put it this way... ANYONE that has heard of Mayweather certainly has heard of Jones, but not the other way around... except for maybe a 7-10 year old that may have been exposed to Mayweather as he's a current big name but missed the Jones boat (the same way that 10 year old might not know Tyson or Oscar for example).

singletrack
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 29 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]355551[/snapback]
Or not. People might see how much of an immature fuckstick this guy is and completely hate him.

hahahahahahahha - exactly. Who the hell would watch that MTV cribs and want to meet him? The insecurity ooozes out of him.

singletrack
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 29 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]355560[/snapback]
I hope they have a nice guy lined up to dance with him because everyone knows PBF ain't nothin but a punk's bitch.

LOL ... this thread is hilarious.
buford54
It might hype one of his fights, but Floyd's problem is his style.
He is boring. It's sad that to the average person Floyd will be more exciting in a dancing competition than in a fight.
I bet his first fight after the show will do great ratings, and then drop off again because he fights so boring.
Method
They're gonn have to find a bitch shorter than he is for a dance partner. Otherwise, this cat gonna look like Gary Coleman dancing on National TV.

BigG
^ laugh.gif
WindyCityP
Dancing with the stars is for has been b-list celebs.......c'mon now
MarzB
QUOTE(WindyCityP @ Sep 2 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]356031[/snapback]
Dancing with the stars is for has been b-list celebs.......c'mon now

Maybe but this show is like one of the most popular if not top ten shows when it's on. No, I've never seen one episode but I know my mom talks about Emmitt Smith and that speed skating dude Ohno I think and she knows nothing about sports. Additionally another message board I'm on, in the entertainment area this is easily one of the more popular threads.

I think personally he's an early favorite. I'm only basing that on his already existing good footwork. The rest is just learning the steps.

Crow
Are they going to let Mayweather dance with Leonard Ederbie(sp) or 50 Cent like he kept doing on 24/7?
Yansoma
Wow you guys are in total denial.....Dancing With The Stars has the second highest audience/ratings of any television show in the United States. It is nearly impossible for him NOT to become much more popular. And to the people saying "when people find out hes an asshole, etc".....they won't; and if they somehow made this nationwide revelation 90% of them wouldn't care anyway. If Paris Hilton can maintain a moderately positive public persona I see Floyd have next to no problem with himself.
BrutalBodyShots
I still don't see what it even matters if he's on the show. Like I said earlier in the thread 99% of the people that watch Dancing With the Stars would never buy a boxing PPV. My 60 year old mother watches Dancing With the Stars and would never watch boxing. I can't think of a single one of my friends that watches boxing that would watch Dancing With the Stars for more than 5 minutes for any reason other than checking out one of the hot 20-something chicks wearing next to nothing.

Point being that sure, maybe a bunch of 40-60 year olds (mostly women) will now know Mayweather's name, but that will do little to nothing for Floyd in terms of boxing. Maybe one of these women will be able to identify Mayweather the next time they see a commercial for his next PPV, but they won't be ordering it anyway.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.