Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should Hopkins do now
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
X3_Bazooka_X3
Tito or Roy? I doubt he will get any credit for him fighting and beating the winner of that fight, Dawson doesnt seem to bring any interest to Hopkins, I doubt he wants Tarver again and even if he did want Tarver would the fans pay to watch Tarver get blasted out of there again?
I dont see much more for Hopkins to do other than The winner of Kessler Calzaghe, I say its time for him to officially retire hang em up, there is no other reason for him to continue fighting he wont be able to top what he has already topped in his career so why keep risking it?
who else is out there for Bernard?
BigG
If Roy Jones beats Tito, then bring on Jones-Hopkins II. After that, retire. Roy stylewise, may pose some problems for B-Hop at this stage. Still a very interesting match even though Jones got KTFO a few years back by 2 Hopkins victims.
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 31 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]355748[/snapback]
If Roy Jones beats Tito, then bring on Jones-Hopkins II. After that, retire. Roy stylewise, may pose some problems for B-Hop at this stage. Still a very interesting match even though Jones got KTFO a few years back by 2 Hopkins victims.

I dont think Jones can pose any problems for Hopkins Tarver and Johnson showed you two different ways to beat Jones, Hopkins is a smart fighter, probably the smartest active fighter today. he will beat Jones more onesidedly in this fight than he did Trinidad in that fight.
Jones has gotten slower and older and being that speed was Jones's best asset now with it some what hampered I doubt he will give Hopkins the trouble that he did in the first fight, in fact, Hopkins has gotten so much better since its un beleivable if he takes the fight with Jones I understand redemption is always a must for any great fighter, but at this point does he really need it? he just dominated Tarver for god sakes someone who shut out Jones in the third fight, and starched him in the second and IMO beat Jones the first time.
BigG
To tell you the truth, Hopkins really doesn't have anything left the prove. He dominated the Middleweight division. Lost his title to a much younger fighter by controversial decisiona nd after that, gave Tarver and Winky beatings.....But if honestly, since Hopkins isn't retiring YET...the Jones is fight is the fight I wanna personaly see....Jones did not look too bad against Hanshaw and Prince Badu Amaju...still has great speed. I'd like to see Bernard avenge the only CLEAR loss of his career.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I thought Hopkins lost both Taylor fights the first was very close could and should have been a win considering the Champion is supposed to get the beinfit of the doubt in a close fight, but in recent years that theory doesnt apply seemingly any more.
The rematch with Taylor Hopkins IMO clearly lost take nothing from Hopkins he is still a great fighter and has moved on to win bigger fights since that fight, but in the end he has lost to two men Jones Jr and to Taylor, he also lost his first fight which we know the politics surrounding that fight, However its still a loss.
bpipe
Hopkins will go down as one of the all time greats, but even at this stage in their careers, RJJ has too much speed for BHop. He may have slowed down a little but he's still too fast for anyone from 168 and up, so that says something about how good and fast RJJ was in his prime if he's "dropped off a little". He got his ass handed to him by Tarver and Johnson but in my opinion he lost those fights because he was feelin himself a little too much and thought he was invincible. Tarver's punch was flat out lucky he didn't even have his damn eyes open. RJJ is still a name to be reckoned with at Light Heavy.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Aug 31 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]355751[/snapback]
he just dominated Tarver for god sakes someone who shut out Jones in the third fight, and starched him in the second and IMO beat Jones the first time.

Shut out Jones in the third fight? Not hardly. I thought Jones was up a round or two midway through the fight.
salvador
If Jones beats Tito, then Jones.

The only other fight that could make his legacy any stronger is Dawson. THAT would be worth seeing.
imperial
Fight the winner of Calzaghe Kessler ..I highly doubt that Jones Hopkins 2 will ever happen because no one is willing o pay these 2 ego maniacs 10 mil a piece to get this fight done !
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(imperial @ Aug 31 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]355761[/snapback]
Fight the winner of Calzaghe Kessler ..I highly doubt that Jones Hopkins 2 will ever happen because no one is willing o pay these 2 ego maniacs 10 mil a piece to get this fight done !

Words couldnt be any more real than that
PR316
I think Hopkins genuinely wants Calzaghe and Joe has been calling out Hopkins in turn, and he should chomping at the big considering how slow Bernard looked against Winky.

But its all looking ahead. Calzaghe has serious business to tend to on November 3rd and that is not a guaranteed win, even if I favor him to pull it out.
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(PR316 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:27 PM) [snapback]355766[/snapback]
I think Hopkins genuinely wants Calzaghe and Joe has been calling out Hopkins in turn, and he should chomping at the big considering how slow Bernard looked against Winky.
But its all looking ahead. Calzaghe has serious business to tend to on November 3rd and that is not a guaranteed win, even if I favor him to pull it out.

unless Kessler just has no power on them shots I agree with you, I think it could easily be the case mind you we might be giving a bit too much credit to andrades chin, I mean there are guys that just dont have that kind of power we wont find out until November of course.
in a way I favor Kessler to win, I think Joe has had a few easy fights recently it will be interesting to see him in there with someone who is actually hitting him back and someone who can throw just as many shots as he can. I like Kessler but I aint sleeping on Joe either.
PR316
A Kessler win wouldn't surprise me at all. He has the ability. What we'll have to find out is if he has the experience and know how.
Method
One thing I think Hopkins should REALLY do? Train fighters. I think he'd be awesome at it. He always says there's no way he could. that he'd expect too much from his guys. But whatever. Fuck that. I think he'd be a great trainer....and if he found the right pupil, he could probably win some accolades for that.

As a fighter, try and get Joe Cal, Bad Chad, Maybe toy w Tito (for shits and giggles [ and a pile o cash]) or get after a heavyweight.

Whatever.
X3_Bazooka_X3
He should work with his Nephew that would be tight
Method
nah. F that. I don't thuink D-Hop is the goods.

You'll think I'm nuts, but I think he should work with Jermain Taylor.

Or Rock Allen (but Rock has Naasim, so prob no need).
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 31 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]355779[/snapback]
nah. F that. I don't thuink D-Hop is the goods.

You'll think I'm nuts, but I think he should work with Jermain Taylor.

Or Rock Allen (but Rock has Naasim, so prob no need).

ok.gif I am sure he would help Taylor, he would send his ass out to get whipped in their first fight together just to teach him a lesson, then I am sure he would, you know as crazy as it sounds your right, I think Hopkins would do better than stewart at this point.
PR316
I don't think even Hopkins could help Taylor. Taylor is 27 and still lacks craft. At this point, I don't think its possible. Taylor will go as far as his size and athleticism takes him. His nephew D-Hop is nothing special but time will tell if he could get better.

As for his in-ring career, fights against either Zags, Kessler, or Bad Chad would be great. A rematch with Tito would bring him alot of money but he's already been there and done that.

Kijis Konar
He should retire.
imperial
QUOTE(Kijis Konar @ Aug 31 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]355791[/snapback]
He should retire.

Agreed unless he fights Jones or Calzaghe there really isn't a fight i'm too excited about ...
Col Reb
He needs to fight the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler. That would be an incredible fight, and it would add a ton to the legacy of the winner.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]355751[/snapback]
I dont think Jones can pose any problems for Hopkins Tarver and Johnson showed you two different ways to beat Jones

They sure did but guess what? Hopkins wouldn't fight Jones either of the ways that Johnson or Tarver did to beat Jones. Hopkins doesn't possess the 1 punch power that Tarver had to keep Jones scared all night (or knocked out) nor does he possess the workrate of Johnson.

That all said, I really believe Jones-Hopkins II is essentially a pickem fight. I think Jones' speed would get him out of the gate to an early lead on the cards, but in typical Hopkins fashion I think he picks it up around mid fight and takes most of the later rounds. As usual I think it would come down to how early Hopkins starts taking rounds as to whether or not he takes the fight on the cards. Of course there always the chance that Hopkins catches Jones with a perfect lead right hand that seriously hurts him, but I don't think it would be enough to KO Jones (but enough to get a knockdown? sure).

Bill The Butcher
There is Calzaghe if he gets past Kessler. And there is the Tito/Jones winner. Other than that, he talked about moving up to heavyweight and fighting someone. What if Holyfield wins the belt and they set up a Holyfield VS. Hopkins fight? I think that would sell big time. I don't care how old they are. A heavyweight champ like Holyfield VS. the light heavyweight champ?

Holyfield VS. Hopkins! Set it up!
imperial
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 1 2007, 02:55 AM) [snapback]355808[/snapback]
They sure did but guess what? Hopkins wouldn't fight Jones either of the ways that Johnson or Tarver did to beat Jones. Hopkins doesn't possess the 1 punch power that Tarver had to keep Jones scared all night (or knocked out) nor does he possess the workrate of Johnson.

That all said, I really believe Jones-Hopkins II is essentially a pickem fight. I think Jones' speed would get him out of the gate to an early lead on the cards, but in typical Hopkins fashion I think he picks it up around mid fight and takes most of the later rounds. As usual I think it would come down to how early Hopkins starts taking rounds as to whether or not he takes the fight on the cards. Of course there always the chance that Hopkins catches Jones with a perfect lead right hand that seriously hurts him, but I don't think it would be enough to KO Jones (but enough to get a knockdown? sure).

I think this fight plays out exactly as their first one ..Hopkins sneaking in his lead rights Jones tagging Hopkins with combos ..It wil be another ugly fight to score and who ever can land the cleaner punches would win ..I don't see either man really dominating the other due to their styles ...Jones hand speed is still good enough to fluster Hopkins and Hopkins has improved signifigantly to really make it more of a fight but then again after watching his fight w/Winky it will most certainly be a snoozer !
basicjab
In terms of his legacy, winner of Cal vs Kessler is the only serious option. Otherwise, he can go fight some heavyweights, which I think he can do well against (with exception to Wlad).

Jones and Tito really doesn't make any sense at all. These two guys should have retired a long time ago, what does it prove when one beats the other at this point? Bernard's fight with Winky showed that he is not what he used to be, it was very close and competitive, much more so than what the scorecards have shown. Bernard at this point will have problems with younger, quicker and higher work rate, so naturally both Cal and Kessler would be tough fights for him at this point.
imperial
QUOTE(basicjab @ Sep 2 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]355962[/snapback]
In terms of his legacy, winner of Cal vs Kessler is the only serious option. Otherwise, he can go fight some heavyweights, which I think he can do well against (with exception to Wlad).

Jones and Tito really doesn't make any sense at all. These two guys should have retired a long time ago, what does it prove when one beats the other at this point? Bernard's fight with Winky showed that he is not what he used to be, it was very close and competitive, much more so than what the scorecards have shown. Bernard at this point will have problems with younger, quicker and higher work rate, so naturally both Cal and Kessler would be tough fights for him at this point.

Jones /Trinidad means as much as Hopkins Wright ..But what I disagree is what you said about him not being what he used to be ..

Wright is a difficult fighter Hopkins was able to do what many people couldn't do to Wright and that was take away his jab ..It was an ugly fight but provd o be a good stragedy ..Hopkins should fight the winner of Calzaghe /Kessler the only problem is who is going to agree to BHOPS ' terms ..
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(imperial @ Sep 2 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]355965[/snapback]
Jones /Trinidad means as much as Hopkins Wright ..But what I disagree is what you said about him not being what he used to be ..

Nah, Hopkins/Wright was a fight between two top 10 (on many lists top 5) P4P fighters.

Jones/Trinidad have not been on P4P lists in years.

Method

IMP, come the fuck on withh that bullshit. Hopkins & Wright are w/in the top 5 P4P, no ifs ands or buts. Trinidad ain't won a legit fight in YEARS, and Jones? I know that's your boy...but come on man...he's First Team Old Macdonald Farm League. Hopkins and Wright, while not called for, was an admirable matchup for those guys to give the true fans who complain that the best don't fight the best. That's as good as is gets. Of course, the styles might not be a perfect mesh, but that's a by product of the best fighting the best. Tito Roy is a marriage of convenience. Roy is a nobody anymore, and Tito is looking to make some loot (is the ONLY reason I can phathom here).
imperial
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 2 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]355967[/snapback]
Nah, Hopkins/Wright was a fight between two top 10 (on many lists top 5) P4P fighters.

Jones/Trinidad have not been on P4P lists in years.

Yeah but Hopkins was a lt heavy and Winky was a middle as far as signifigance will that win really be up there as far as major accomplishments ?I don't think so no diffrent than if Jones beats Tito ..I mean if the fight ha happen when Hopkins was a middle than I would say yes ..But the fact that Winky had to come up and still loss no one's career was really hurt and the fight was just a horrible match up style wise ..beleive me in a few yrs no one will be talking about this fights as they would be talking about Hops win over Tarver is all I am saying ..
Method
Dude, Hops fought ONE fight at 175, and then came right back down to 170. I don't understand. RJJ has been a legit lt hvy a lot linger. Whats more, Twinky walks around a lot heavier. He carries the higher weight a lot better than Cheat-o.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(imperial @ Sep 2 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]355996[/snapback]
Yeah but Hopkins was a lt heavy and Winky was a middle as far as signifigance will that win really be up there as far as major accomplishments ?I don't think so no diffrent than if Jones beats Tito ..I mean if the fight ha happen when Hopkins was a middle than I would say yes ..But the fact that Winky had to come up and still loss no one's career was really hurt and the fight was just a horrible match up style wise ..beleive me in a few yrs no one will be talking about this fights as they would be talking about Hops win over Tarver is all I am saying ..

Actually you can argue that it is MORE significant that the fight was 1.5 divisions higher than the smaller guys weight.

Would it not be significant if Mayweather faced Taylor?

Would it not be significant if Vazquez faced Pacquiao?

Would it not be significant if Hatton faced Oscar?

Any time two P4P fighters face one another the fight is significant, and if it involves a move in weight divisions to me that is a big deal. Jones and Trinidad aren't even fighting in their optimal weight classes (Trinidad is way too heavy, Jones will be a skeleton) and are years past their prime. THAT is the definition of a non-significant fight.

imperial
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 2 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]356020[/snapback]
Actually you can argue that it is MORE significant that the fight was 1.5 divisions higher than the smaller guys weight.

Would it not be significant if Mayweather faced Taylor?

Would it not be significant if Vazquez faced Pacquiao?

Would it not be significant if Hatton faced Oscar?

Any time two P4P fighters face one another the fight is significant, and if it involves a move in weight divisions to me that is a big deal. Jones and Trinidad aren't even fighting in their optimal weight classes (Trinidad is way too heavy, Jones will be a skeleton) and are years past their prime. THAT is the definition of a non-significant fight.

If Trinidad had not been retired this fight would mean a little more ..Considering Roy fought twice and Hopkins was coming off his own retirement both fights imo are about as equal as far as signifigance ..
rusty_trombone
Get Braces?
BrutalBodyShots
Even though Hopkins was "retired" he wasn't inactive. He was still on P4P lists unlike Trinidad.

Lil-lightsout
I personally would only be interested in him fighting the winner of Calzaghe-Kessler fight. These are two younger fighters that are at the top of there game right now. I do not think at this point Hopkins could beat either of these fighters, but I would like him to step up to the plate and prove me wrong. Win or lose, it is AMAZING what Bernard can do at his advanced age. A fight with either one of these fighters would be a huge challenge for Hopkins. I really have no desire to see Hopkins fight the Jones-Trinidad winner either, or move up to heavyweight.
The Original MrFactor
fight calzaghe/kessler winner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.