Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who are 5 fighters you will always root for everytime they step in the ring
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
5 Fighters I will root for everytime:

Bernard Hopkins: Person I idolize......

Fernando Montiel: Love watching this little guy fight. He's brilliant. One of the best P4P IMO.

Zab Judah: Very explosive and exciting. Will alwyas root for Super Zab everytime he steps in the ring.

Gerry Penalosa: Extremely humbe outside the ring and brilliant inside the ring. Could've been much greater then he is if he they gave him the opportunities he deserved.

Miguel Cotto: Unless he is fighting Zab Judah. I love his style. He is a killer.

WolfishPromistah
biggeorge, I would say my first choice is yours. There's just something about Bernard that, as soon as I saw your post title, he came to mind immediately. Just a classic story holder whom I've always respected. And I don't care who he's gone against, I've felt he could somehow find that way to win. But I will have to point out there was one time I felt politics would beat him, and that was against Delahoya. Oscar, after all, had managed to be standing at the end of the fight against Sturm, which I felt he lost. As a result, I really felt that if he just did enough moving to be standing at the end against Bernard, and tried to put on some agression -- not alot -- just to still be standing at the end, then he'd get that decision by the end of the fight.

Then I wanna say there's someone else, but I just cannot think of another besides Diego Corrales (May he r.i.p., of course), as I wanted him to claim everything after his loss to Mayweather Jr. and possibly try again in a rematch later on. That guy just had so much heart and that cool way about him that stood out when he was not fighting that it was hard for me to write him off as a loser, speaking of him as an individual representative of the game.

Oh, and there are probably two others I can name. For one, I pretty much backed Vitali Klitschko that way while he was fighting. But besides him and the others I've mentioned above, I extended the love to Roy Jones Jr., although there was the one factor I take exception (the outcome of a rematch with Hopkins) because I always felt that Bernard would get Roy had one come off -- just hoped he'd be the first guy to beat him clearly. But unfortunately...
bpipe
Oscar de la Hoya- one of the best fighters of our era, no one has ever completely dominated him
Roy Jones Jr- he may very well have had the best skills of any fighter, however i don't think he is the best but he had the tools to have been better than anyone
Arturo Gatti- no one had as much heart as him
Israel Vasquez- like you said after that Gonzalez fight I couldn't help but root for him
Zab Judah- he doesn't have it all upstairs but he has it all skill wise speed and power, if he wasn't such a loose canon I think he may very well have been tabbed as the P4P best I mean he was beating Mayweather for the first 4 or 5 rounds til he lost his composure
Maxy
I can't name 5 fighters currently boxing that I always root for.

There are, however, 5 fighters that I always root against.

1) Antonio Tarver - Hated him before he beat Jones, beating Jones doubled the hatred.
2) Zab Judah - Whoever he boxes I always pray his opponent destroys him.
3) Floyd Mayweather - Brilliantly gifted but his G.O.A.T comments leave a sour taste.
4) Joe Calzaghe - Claims that Hopkins and Jones avoided him make me sick.
5) Wladimir Klitschko - I find him to be dull and unappealing and hope to see him KO'd again.
The CEO
Yeah...much easier for me to make a list of who I'd always root AGAINST....but here goes...

Mosley
Cotto
Barrera
Maussa
The Klit Bros

Future probables: Katsidis, Pavlik, Williams
Blayde
Always rooting for Jeff Lacy and Chad Dawson right now.

Possible for the future: Clottey, Williams, Povetkin, Solis, Gamboa, Barthelemy
imperial
Roy Jones

Evander Holyfield

Marco Antonio Barrera

Bernard Hopkins
Miguel Cotto

Sugar Shane Mosley

Oscar Delahoya
X3_Bazooka_X3
Evander Holyfield (its hard not to cheer for him the man is just a legand and gives it all each time out)

Tito Trinidad always gives us a great fight we often get to see someone put on their ass when he fights

Manny Pacquiao (this is changing for some reason or the other I feel he is declining in a sense perhaps its the money getting to his head)

Israel Vazquez (do or die all the time under rated and over looked way too much)

Jorge Arce (Need I say why?)
X3_Bazooka_X3
Evander Holyfield (its hard not to cheer for him the man is just a legand and gives it all each time out)

Tito Trinidad always gives us a great fight we often get to see someone put on their ass when he fights

Manny Pacquiao (this is changing for some reason or the other I feel he is declining in a sense perhaps its the money getting to his head)

Israel Vazquez (do or die all the time under rated and over looked way too much)

Jorge Arce (Need I say why?)
Maxy
Ok here's the five I root for...

1) Miguel Cotto. My favourite fighter out there right now.
2) Bernard Hopkins. Never moreso than when he boxed Trinidad.
3) Evander Holyfield. Followed him since his debut and only once in his career did I want him to lose.
4) Roy Jones. He's finished as far as I'm concerned but everytime he fights I want him to win.
5) Ricky Hatton. This isn't a long term thing but I want him to decapitate Mayweather.
PR316
Roy Jones- The best p4p fighter of my era. Yeah sure he's gonna really put it on Tito Trinidad who might be my favorite fighter of all time(The only time I'll root against Roy). I would love nothing more than to see him regain his status as number 1.

Tito Trinidad- For what I said above about him being my favorite fighter.

Joe Calzaghe- For always being underestimated by everyone and for being a truly special talent.

Floyd Mayweather- Because people want so bad to see him lose, I enjoy him sticking it to them.

Felix Sturm- I sympathize with him due to getting horribly robbed in the De La Hoya fight.
BigG
Another person I can't root against is Kassim Ouma.....he's life story is amazing. He's a survivor in life and he fights with so much heart.
Lil-lightsout
Shane Mosley, James Toney, Jeff Lacy, Roy Jones, Evander Holyfield.
Big Slim Sweet
Shane Mosley
James Toney
Diego Corrales (r.i.p.)
Marco Antonio Barrera
Kassim Ouma
dj necrogenic
Jorge Arce, Panchito Bojado, Rafael Marquez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, and Floyd Mayweather Jr, OH and Paul Williams
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
1: Cory Spinks- Very unappreciated skills, and has some good wins. Frustrated Taylor all night, and beat Mayorga when he was on top. Would give any fighter a tough night.
2: Oscar De La Hoya- Always fun to watch, and always is in the big events. His fight against Vargas is one of my favorite fights to watch. Always takes on the best, and has never been dominated.
3: Zab Judah- This guy has speed and skills second to none. It's unfortunate he sometimes lacks the strong mentality needed for boxing, or else this guy could of possibly been the next pernell whitaker. Oh well shoulda woulda coulda. He's still fun to watch, and is rarely in a bad fight.
4: Paulie Malignaggi- This guy has the charisma needed to be a champion. He also has the speed and skills as well. His footwork and hand speed is unbelievable, and makes up for his lack of power. He dominated a guy who gave Cotto and Witter fits.
5: Anthony Bonsante - He's the local guy. I've always been a fan of his when i started boxing in the middle of 04. He's such a tough guy, who is humble and lives a good life. He works night, and trains full time as well. I admire his discipline in life. He may have not been able to beat the best, but he's been competitive with some good fighters. Probably the second best fighter in MN besides Jason Litzau.
Kyle
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
1: Cory Spinks- Very unappreciated skills, and has some good wins. Frustrated Taylor all night, and beat Mayorga when he was on top. Would give any fighter a tough night.
2: Oscar De La Hoya- Always fun to watch, and always is in the big events. His fight against Vargas is one of my favorite fights to watch. Always takes on the best, and has never been dominated.
3: Zab Judah- This guy has speed and skills second to none. It's unfortunate he sometimes lacks the strong mentality needed for boxing, or else this guy could of possibly been the next pernell whitaker. Oh well shoulda woulda coulda. He's still fun to watch, and is rarely in a bad fight.
4: Paulie Malignaggi- This guy has the charisma needed to be a champion. He also has the speed and skills as well. His footwork and hand speed is unbelievable, and makes up for his lack of power. He dominated a guy who gave Cotto and Witter fits.
5: Anthony Bonsante - He's the local guy. I've always been a fan of his when i started boxing in the middle of 04. He's such a tough guy, who is humble and lives a good life. He works night, and trains full time as well. I admire his discipline in life. He may have not been able to beat the best, but he's been competitive with some good fighters. Probably the second best fighter in MN besides Jason Litzau.
Kyle
Southeastpaw
Holyfield
Cotto
Vasquez
Mosley
Williams

Used to be Trinidad and Jones as well. But I really want to see them retired for good now. WOuld have been the same for Holyfield, but I would really love for him to win a title again, then hangem up.

Fighters I will ALWAYS root against.

Hatton
Calslappy
Spadafora
Darchinian
And Hamed then and if he ever comes back.
Bill The Butcher
Five fighters that I will always root for: (I have a bunch, but those were the ones that come to mind first.)

Hopkins
Katsidis
Gatti
Vargas
Barrera

Five fights where I cheered and yelled the most:

- Hopkins when he fought Trinidad.
- Barrera when he fought Hamed.
- Vargas when he fought Trinidad.
- Rahman when he fought Lewis the first time.
- Forrest when he fought Mosley the first time.
BrutalBodyShots
Gatti
Morales
Hopkins
Toney
Holyfield

Problem with my list is that all of them are 5-10 years past their prime, LOL.

Lil-lightsout
Five I ALWAYS root against- Hatton, Calzaghe, Tarver, Ruiz, and Trinidad.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 4 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]356200[/snapback]
Gatti
Morales
Hopkins
Toney
Holyfield
Problem with my list is that all of them are 5-10 years past their prime, LOL.

Did Gatti ever have a prime unsure.gif And Holyfield is actually atleast 15 years past his prime laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Sep 4 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]356206[/snapback]
Did Gatti ever have a prime unsure.gif And Holyfield is actually atleast 15 years past his prime laugh.gif

I was just making a generalization... yes Holyfield's prime was a little further back than the other guys, but same general idea.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 4 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]356207[/snapback]
I was just making a generalization... yes Holyfield's prime was a little further back than the other guys, but same general idea.

I know, I was just messing with you.
Nobudius
Don't think I have any fighter I root for EVERY single time-I do have guys I root AGAINST though, due to one reason or another.

Just want an honest, good, fight.
falvoa
I'm not really a big "rooter" for fighters, Once Tito Trinidad got stomped by Hopkins back in the day, I was a heart broken 15 yr old. THen when Sugar Shane got beat up I jus stopped attaching myself to fighters.

I guess, though, it depends on the fight; for example when Ponce De Leon KO'd Bautista, going into that fight I was rooting for De Leon a lil bit cause it seemed liked Bautista was being made out to be this "wonderkid", as if he was going to go through De Leon as if he was jus another bum. I jus don't like that arrogance. Still, I wouldnt call myself a fan of De Leon.

NOW, after saying all that. Here they are off the top of my head:

Erik Morales; at one time a disliked the dude, but after he bested Pacman the first time; the dudes a FIGHTER
Zab Judah; always had a softspot for the "thuggish" Judah, maybe its an east coast thing
Shane Mosley; One of the first fighters I ever saw live (on TV), the dude influenced me to start boxing in a way
Joan Guzman (maybe); I think this dudes a SUPER fighter, but his inactivity and jumping up in weight pisses me off a bit
and. . . I guess that it.

oh well. . .

aggressive.gif
Kijis Konar
Always will root for Trinidad and Pacquiao. Always will root against Oscar, Roy and Holyfield.
Mino
Trinidad
Corrales..RIP
Pac
Holyfield (Although well past his prime)
Gatti
P.S...Roy would have been on this list but is not for Obv reasons
CyruS
Miguel Cotto
The fat man himself, James Toney
Manny Pacquiao
Isreal Vasquez
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (until the Cotto fight, you know it has to happen.)
Felix Trinidad
alaganza
Emmanuel Augustus
Shane Mosley

And that's pretty much it.
Crow
Vargas
Marquez Bros
Klitschko Bros
Cotto
Hopkins
Morales
basicjab

Gatti, not that he is my favorite but always rooted for him because he is always on the verse of losing.

I will always root against Roy Jones, this guy is an egomaniac with a mouth that just don't shut. I swear this guy thinks he's a gift to mankind. To see Roy get stretch out again would be absolutely priceless. Go Tito!! lol
lilpoppapump
1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Emanuel Augustus
4. Felix Trinidad
5. Diego Corrales
rusty_trombone
Whoever is fighting Margarito, and Trinidad, oh and Tarver I fucking hate Tarver.

People I will root for:
roy
Manny
Even though his wife is a bitch, and threatened to have him kick my whole family's ass, I always root foor Mosley
luisio
1. Felix Trinidad
2. Jhonny Gonzalez
3. Fernando Vargas
4. Floyd Mayweather jr.
5. Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. & Jr.

root against:

1. Oscar DeLa Hoya
2. Oscar DeLa Hoya
3. Oscar DeLa Hoya
4. Oscar DeLa Hoya
5. Oscar DeLa Hoya
ghost13
Joel Casamayor
Ike Quartey
Rafael Marquez
Floyd Mayweather
Lorenzo Parra
Yucayeke
Trinidad
Mosely
Barrera
Cotto
Calderon
singletrack
I only have four that I can think of currently:

1. Miguel Cotto
2. Mike Tyson
3. Roy Jones Jr.
4. Sam Peter

I've also always rooted for Trinidad, and I'm part PR and have lived there and in the states, but I grew up really watching and rooting for Jones, so I'm going to have to pull for him in their fight.

EDIT - Add Sam Peter to the list.
Diane
1. Miguel Cotto (obvious with my avatar & sig)

2. Marco Antonio Barrera (a legend)

3. Kelly Pavlik (local guy, nice guy, I have to support a local)

4. Michael Katsidis (how can you not after his last 2 fights with Graham Earl and Czar Amonsot)

5. Sergio Mora (I know I'll probably catch hell for this one, but I know him, and he really is a very humble and nice guy, he may be a little cocky in the ring, but he is nothing like that ouside the ring)

I know you just asked for 5, but I have to add one more.

6. Emanuel Augustus (the man just loves to fight, period, plus I love his clown dancing)

Hodge
James Toney - There is nothing better than a good shit talker

Floyd Mayweather - I love the responses of the haters and the reactions after every fight. Just makes it all worth it.

Steve Cunningham - He was in the Navy, so I got to look out for the shipmate.

Marco Antonio Barrera - I just get the impression that we're a lot alike, personality-wise, but watch out when he's focused.

Paul Williams - When was the last time you heard Carolina (North or South) and champion and it wasn't associated with college basketball?

Al B Sure
Bernard Hopkins
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Joan Guzman
Miguel Cotto
Jean Pascal
Warlord
BOXING

Fernando Vargas
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield
The Klits

MMA

Kazushi Sakuraba
Royce Gracie
Wanderlei Silva
Shogun Rua
Dan Henderson
BrutalBodyShots
Damn Warlord you must have been torn in those Tyson/Holyfield and Sakuraba/Gracie fights eh? =)

pacco_diablo
These are my top 5 favorite fighters...

Roy Jones Jr
Royce Gracie
James Toney
Manny Pacquiao
Paul Williams

I'll also probably always root for Shane Mosley.

It's sad that most of them are close to retirement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.